The Walking Dead is Back!

I thought the most recent episode was one of the best in quite some time. The murder of the mom and kid was shocking in its subtlety in a way seldom seen on the show. Negan's evolution is believable.

It's been a strong season so far helped along by the expanded role of Negan in the story.

The murder of the mother & son was shocking to me. I figured that they were going to have the "new" Negan roaming around the countryside finding & saving people and bringing them to one of the communities. In this way he redeems himself. Obviously that ain't happening now.

My only complaint is that REAL people would have been plotting the destruction of the Whisperers right from the start. Instead of arguing whether they should or shouldn't attack it should be a given that they will attack and the discussions should be centered around the best way to bring about the Whisperers destruction.

Anyone else catch the mid season final of the WD? I thought it was very good and left me looking forward to the next season.

I did see it. I was a bit disappointed by the Eugene/Rosita kiss. It just didn't feel believable. I was intrigued by the girl on the radio, indicating another community somewhere and of course the Negan story line is interesting. What about the missing, Jadis and Rick? Are they on the naval base that Michonne is heading towards?

Until I saw this thread reemerge I had forgotten the new season had started back up. I just got Netflicks & Amazon Prime in the last month (yea, late adapter) and have been binging a lot of stuff. My take on this last episode:

* The flight through the tunnels was intense. I would not recommend watching it if you're claustrophobic.

* This episode gave us a little bit of whats great and what's terrible about the current version of WD.

* Carrol was morphing into a very interesting women so why did the writers decide to ruin her? She has emerged as one of the most repulsive & loathsome people on the show. Where she was once cool & collected she now possess ZERO common sense. I get she lost her son and vengeance should be burning bright in her but the pathetic creature she's become is hard to watch.

* Carol's idea to use the dynamite to lay waste to part of the hoard was a good one. So why not talk to others about doing it as a group? Would they really have said no? Just an example of where WD fails in it's character development.

* The only thing more repulsive then the Negan/Alpha nude love fest was that glazed donut chicken sandwich KFC is peddling.

* After binging on The Expanse, Man in the High Castle, Britannia, Stranger Things & the Crown you can see how crappy WD has become in comparison. Everything from sets to special effects to story to acting is inferior. And worse going from commercial free viewing to the commercial fest on AMC is startling. Imagine how intense the chase through the tunnels would have been without commercial breaks (even with fast forwarding)?

For me, the Whisperers have been extremely boring and I've lost interest in the show. IMO, Alpha is just annoying. She is not scary, interesting, or seemingly intelligent. Every leader they have had on this show has had some great leadership quality that made people want to follow them.

Alpha reminds me of Carol. She has her inner demons and will have some people that really like/respect her. Carol is much more realistic as a loner but trying to make Alpha some supreme leader convincing people to live in a totally bizarre way just doesn't work for me.

I'll reluctantly follow this show a few more episodes but if the Whisperer arc doesn't end soon, I probably won't stick around much longer.

* The only thing more repulsive then the Negan/Alpha nude love fest was that glazed donut chicken sandwich KFC is peddling.

:LOL: Don't talk about KFC's chicken and waffles rip-off like that.

Might as well bring the Governor back and have a devil's threesome. This show cannot get out of it's own way anymore. Who would follow Alpha let alone F her?

This last episode was the worst one in a long while. I'm giving the show another week or two to get it right or I'm done. To much quality on Netflix & Prime to waste time on this garbage.

This last episode was the worst one in a long while. I'm giving the show another week or two to get it right or I'm done. To much quality on Netflix & Prime to waste time on this garbage.
The last two really, way to kick off the new season with a bang. Whisperers need to go away. The show needs to move out of Northern Va and see what’s going on in the rest of the world. I’ll finish this season and make a decision. Lots of good stuff on HBO and Netflix. Currently watching THe Outsider, The New Pope and McMillions as well as binging on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Good stuff.

The last two really, way to kick off the new season with a bang. Whisperers need to go away. The show needs to move out of Northern Va and see what’s going on in the rest of the world. I’ll finish this season and make a decision. Lots of good stuff on HBO and Netflix. Currently watching THe Outsider, The New Pope and McMillions as well as binging on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Good stuff.

Think about the industrial AND military assets just sitting there all up and down the East Coast! The FIRST thing any community would have done once they attained some level of security would have been to go on endless scavenger hunts. They had one episode and rather then gather useful stuff they were hauling back artwork.

There is NO reason given the largely intact infrastructure of an industrial civilization all around them that these people had to go back to the middle ages. I know farmers who are operating 60 year old tractors on the job. Why on earth would you need to use horses to pull car chassis?

I know I'm going to catch hell for injecting politics into a TV show but I feel like the writers on WD are left wing woke types. These people wouldn't know the first thing about how to create stable communities after an apocalypse. I think they write the episodes to reflect a social justice warrior's wet dream of how the world should be. How else to explain the weird & illogical twists in the narrative and the goofy motivations of the main characters.

The Whisperers are a joke and any community of rural good ole boys would have wiped them off the face of the earth after one episode. Or maybe it's as simple as all the good writers/producers have gone off to Netflix, Hulu & Prime?

Think about the industrial AND military assets just sitting there all up and down the East Coast! The FIRST thing any community would have done once they attained some level of security would have been to go on endless scavenger hunts. They had one episode and rather then gather useful stuff they were hauling back artwork.

There is NO reason given the largely intact infrastructure of an industrial civilization all around them that these people had to go back to the middle ages. I know farmers who are operating 60 year old tractors on the job. Why on earth would you need to use horses to pull car chassis?

I know I'm going to catch hell for injecting politics into a TV show but I feel like the writers on WD are left wing woke types. These people wouldn't know the first thing about how to create stable communities after an apocalypse. I think they write the episodes to reflect a social justice warrior's wet dream of how the world should be. How else to explain the weird & illogical twists in the narrative and the goofy motivations of the main characters.

The Whisperers are a joke and any community of rural good ole boys would have wiped them off the face of the earth after one episode. Or maybe it's as simple as all the good writers/producers have gone off to Netflix, Hulu & Prime?

This whole time I am thinking about what makes the Whisperers so powerful and I still get nothing.... why would anyone want to be one of them and again I get nothing..... Daryl should be dead... no way he survived that. Time to kill off many characters and then reboot just like Fear did. Rick left because of how stupid the scripts had gotten.....

The Outsider has grown on me and Curb is the best thing out there right now!!!!! Go get em Larry!!!!!!

This whole time I am thinking about what makes the Whisperers so powerful and I still get nothing.... why would anyone want to be one of them and again I get nothing..... Daryl should be dead... no way he survived that. Time to kill off many characters and then reboot just like Fear did. Rick left because of how stupid the scripts had gotten.....

Yep, after he pulled the knife out you could see the blood spurt! How he survived is beyond me.

And Alpha should be dead to.

The whisperers are covering themselves in dead, rotting human skin. Sounds like made in China hygiene habits! They also appear to scavenge for their food so I doubt they're eating real healthy. These freaks should be a pack of sickly people one step from the grave. Instead Beta appears to be the reincarnation of Micheal Meyers!

And given how untrustworthy and nasty the Whisperers are the other groups would have decided from DAY ONE that there could be NO living with them near by and they would have set out to wipe them out.

I think the show is beyond rebooting. It lacks the intensity of The Man in the High Castle and it isn't over the top fun like the British series Brittania!

Not really. They've turned him into a version of Micheal Meyers.

In fact this is one of the big problems with WD IMO - they ruin many of the most interesting characters on the show. Hell, look what they did to Negan & Carol!
That’s what happens when a show goes on too long. There are exceptions, but imo, 5 seasons should be the max for a show if they want to keep quality consistent.

That’s what happens when a show goes on too long. There are exceptions, but imo, 5 seasons should be the max for a show if they want to keep quality consistent.
How Vince Gilligan handled Breaking Bad is the model. Have a definitive ending and work toward a sequel or two.

TWD has jumped the shark like 5 times now. Such a great premise that fans remain but...

I’d go with episode count over seasons. There’s many different season lengths out there.

I’d guess somewhere around 40-50 episodes would be the benchmark. Again, this is not a hard fast rule. The sopranos had close to 90 episodes over 6 seasons and that was consistently solid from beginning to end.

How Vince Gilligan handled Breaking Bad is the model. Have a definitive ending and work toward a sequel or two.

TWD has jumped the shark like 5 times now. Such a great premise that fans remain but...

It’s fair to point out the show runners for TWD were in a tough situation bc the comics ended very recently.

However, I think it would cool if you had a defined beginning and ending going into a series. You can consolidate and streamline the content over a shorter time frame and use a lot of foreshadowing/Easter eggs throughout the story and it’s a lot easier logistically in managing your cast. I think that’s a big reason why anthology series have gained popularity.