The rich get richer....Browns donate to Hoban

Once again the Browns fail. I'm guessing someone with the Browns is a Hoban Alum. There are so many schools that need real help and you pick a private school!! Then add salt to the wound building 2 practice fields!! I bet theres a dozen or more school just in NE Ohio that need help. My God Waterloo High School in Portage County had to play all home games at a different school because of unsafe bleachers. The Browns should be ashamed.

Understood about the private aspect of it, but much of the hoban buildings are old. You don't go into the building thinking this is how rich looks. (with the exception of the weight room). City of Akron high schools are so much newer/nicer than hoban's school buildings / gyms.

Once again the Browns fail. I'm guessing someone with the Browns is a Hoban Alum. There are so many schools that need real help and you pick a private school!! Then add salt to the wound building 2 practice fields!! I bet theres a dozen or more school just in NE Ohio that need help. My God Waterloo High School in Portage County had to play all home games at a different school because of unsafe bleachers. The Browns should be ashamed.

Not just any private school.

Follow the money. That usually trumps shame. Yes it probably made some bigwig execs/donors/investors happy.

Understood about the private aspect of it, but much of the hoban buildings are old. You don't go into the building thinking this is how rich looks. (with the exception of the weight room). City of Akron high schools are so much newer/nicer than hoban's school buildings / gyms.

They didn't replace an old building, they added 2 football practice fields (to be used by area youths???) right on the campus of a dominant private school. That's almost too hilarious to comprehend.

They didn't replace an old building, they added 2 football practice fields (to be used by area youths???) right on the campus of a dominant private school. That's almost too hilarious to comprehend.

They are turfing existing grass practice field areas once the additional $250k is raised.

No Hoban alum works for the Browns. Hoban applied for a grant. They won this particular grant. Did any other public or private school in Summit or Portage apply?

I would also point to how a school manages what they have already. If you have ever been inside Hoban facilities they are quite dated but impeccably clean and well maintained. A lot of pride in keeping up what they have even though it is older. No AC in the school, Gym is small and suffocating. Cafeteria in the basement. Yes the new weight room and chapel are new and state of the art, all private money raised. Because of their success and commitment to all athletics they will use these fields to benefit a lot of inner city athletes and teams. Stewardship counts.

I would also point to how a school manages what they have already. If you have ever been inside Hoban facilities they are quite dated but impeccably clean and well maintained. A lot of pride in keeping up what they have even though it is older. No AC in the school, Gym is small and suffocating. Cafeteria in the basement. Yes the new weight room and chapel are new and state of the art, all private money raised. Because of their success and commitment to all athletics they will use these fields to benefit a lot of inner city athletes and teams. Stewardship counts.
Who paid for the state of the art weight room?

can’t we just be thankful to the browns for their generosity? like em or not, it’s a great thing to do. i get it, you thought other places needed it more. heck i wish my school would’ve gotten it. but it’s good for the city of akron and i’m sure various youth leagues and junior highs in akron will be allowed to use the space.

Please don't forget that a lot of state taxpayer money goes to economic disadvantage schools while private schools only survive by donations, which in turn these donations provides opportunities for kids from those disadvantage school districts to play sports and get an education that may help them get them future opportunities in colleges. Please be grateful there is a pro football organization in NE Ohio that wants to give back to the football players of tomorrow.

can’t we just be thankful to the browns for their generosity? like em or not, it’s a great thing to do. i get it, you thought other places needed it more. heck i wish my school would’ve gotten it. but it’s good for the city of akron and i’m sure various youth leagues and junior highs in akron will be allowed to use the space.
I am 100% sure Coach Tyrell will open the doors to this facility for youth leagues and junior highs. I am also 100% sure some of these kids will turn up at Hoban and he can turn them into D1 college athletes!

I am 100% sure Coach Tyrell will open the doors to this facility for youth leagues and junior highs. I am also 100% sure some of these kids will turn up at Hoban and he can turn them into D1 college athletes!
can’t really deny that, but that was bound to happen anyways. i mean i’m not saying i’m for recruiting but if i’m a kid from akron that is in a rough situation and i have an opportunity to go to Hoban and get my college payed for, i’m probably going to Hoban. not to mention they win a lot lol. that’s where competitive balance comes in. you recruit more players, you bump up to D1 and play St. Ignatius in the playoffs.

LOL! You make it sound like the weight room was funded by bake sales and car washes! I've got nothing against accepting donations from large corporate sponsors but let's call it like it is. That weight room was NOT funded by "all private money raised" and you know it! That's like saying the renovations to STVM's basketball court were funded by "all private money raised".

This post proves you are a moronic hypocrite.

I would imagine the "pez type" dispensers help with the D1 recruitment.

This post proves you are a moronic hypocrite.
Well for someone that took two days to read every post I ever made (yes not much of a life) I'd love to hear how this post proves I'm a hypocrite? And yes I just took a ruler and smacked myself in the back of the head after I asked for this simple, straightforward response.

Quote from the article:

"Del Medico said 75 percent of Hoban’s 855 students play sports. The new facility, while meeting their needs, will help coaches recruit prospects."
LOl of course all Privates from one end of the State to the other hold Open Houses regularly for Families of Students who want to come and check them out. Its no big secret . I currently drive by a Private Grade school every Weds. that has signs advertising their Open House this weekend. Its what pays the Bills.
If their new facility is part of their sales pitch so be it. All that money spend and they wouldn't use it.?
The State Finals are played at Massillon thats not a Sales pitch. ?
Schools host Playoffs and part of that is to showcase their School and Facilities without a doubt.
Get off it.

Quote from the article:

"Del Medico said 75 percent of Hoban’s 855 students play sports. The new facility, while meeting their needs, will help coaches recruit prospects."

Del Medico, former AD, now heads school's office of advancement and planning. "All about numbers." All makes sense when put in context.

I don't fault Hoban. They had a vision, and set on a mission to become an athletic powerhouse, and did. Success brings success (in all areas). Coach Kyle said the same thing years ago when Iggy went nuts over football. Ditto Moe back when now Ed, LaSalle. Ditto IMG Academy. :)

LOl of course all Privates from one end of the State to the other hold Open Houses regularly for Families of Students who want to come and check them out. Its no big secret . I currently drive by a Private Grade school every Weds. that has signs advertising their Open House this weekend. Its what pays the Bills.
If their new facility is part of their sales pitch so be it. All that money spend and they wouldn't use it.?
The State Finals are played at Massillon thats not a Sales pitch. ?
Schools host Playoffs and part of that is to showcase their School and Facilities without a doubt.
Get off it.

Fair point. Publics who so desire should also hold open houses, show off their wares, and sell themselves.