St. Edward Hockey 2018-2019

Ignatius has completed its three-week tour of the Midwest and will actually return to play four games in Ohio (Brooklyn), none of which, of course are against Ohio teams. Then it's off to the Great White North to play Ontario teams. What a joke. I always thought that one of positives of scholastic sports was to play before your relatives and schoolmates. The Ignatius hockey program has abandoned this fundamental principle.

I just checked one of Ignatius' opponents, A21 Academy. Never heard of it. Turns out it's located in Ontario, of course, and its hockey team has something like a 60 game schedule. O tempora, O mores.

What is interesting to me is how OHSAA allows them to compete in the state tournament. I would love to hear OSHAA defend this inclusion.

As an Ignatius alum, I would have no problem with the Cats being barred from the state tourney if they continue this current approach to their hockey program.

What is interesting to me is how OHSAA allows them to compete in the state tournament. I would love to hear OSHAA defend this inclusion.

The Bylaws allow it as long as recruiting and travel rules are followed.

The travel rules are interesting because travel is limited outside the connected states, but they consider Ontario connected. (By boat and/or snowmobile, maybe). That creates a situation where travel to Toronto, or even Canada side of Niagara (or even Ottawa!) is unlimited but travel to Buffalo is limited to one per season with no missed school.

Thanks EagleFan. I am good with the travel components. Every team has an option to go that route. I guess what I don't understand is why OHSAA would not require any team that competes for the state title to play a certain amount of games versus other Ohio High Schools. To play an all travel schedule with the exception of 1 game and to then be allowed to compete for the state title, in my opinion, goes against the spirit of what I would think OHSAA stands for...clearly not I guess. Again, I don't care because any team can technically do this, but I do think it goes against the spirit of high school sports in general. They use it as a recruiting component for kids, by their coach's own words in an interview...come play for us you will play a travel schedule, get looks by the Juniors as they send kids their every year, and oh by the way compete for a high school championship...against inferior teams where 95%+ actually play in a league against other Ohio High School teams...you know...like it is supposed to be. My intent is to not rip on any of the privates because they are not doing anything wrong outside the rules. My discontent is with OHSAA for allowing this to happen. EaglesFan...am I wrong here? Is there something I am missing or don't understand?

The travel rules are interesting because travel is limited outside the connected states, but they consider Ontario connected. (By boat and/or snowmobile, maybe). That creates a situation where travel to Toronto, or even Canada side of Niagara (or even Ottawa!) is unlimited but travel to Buffalo is limited to one per season with no missed school.

I remember our coaches lamenting how dumb this rule is when they instituted it. Can't miss school for a 4 hour trip to Chicago, better make the 8 hour trip to Philly instead.

For Ignatius, their current challenge is also the lack of Ohio teams that want to schedule them. It's the classic 'which came first: the chicken or the egg' issue.

Ignatius schedules within the OHSAA rules for travel and the max # of hockey matches (35). Several years ago, as the Wildcats became better, less teams wanted to schedule and play them. So, they needed matches and started scheduling Michigan, PA and Ontario schools - all within the rules.

Playing the Ontario and Michigan teams actually made the Wildcats even better and the kids got greater visibility for scholarship and next level hockey opportunities. Success begets success.

For what it's worth, there are more games vs Ohio teams on next year's schedule, but the challenge remains in how to fill out a 30-35 game schedule. It's actually harder than football (which still has 2 or 3 openings for next year)

I guess I question why Ignatius dropped out of the Great Lakes League or whatever that new conference is called. That should have fixed some scheduling problems.

I guess I question why Ignatius dropped out of the Great Lakes League or whatever that new conference is called. That should have fixed some scheduling problems.

Precisely. Had Ignatius remained in the league, scheduling local teams would not have been an issue. They chose their own path here.

Why don't the Ignatius supporters start their own thread, instead of hijacking this one?

As the only hockey thread there is, I think this is where all high school hockey talk has been. Next year they should just name it "2019-2020 high school hockey"

St. Edward opens up post-season this Sunday. Not sure what to expect. I guess advancing to District final on 3/2 would be reasonable expectation, assuming they can get by Holy Name.

Ignatius appears to have a smooth road to the district title game. As for the Frozen Four, not sure who is favored.

Gilmour will be favored from the east side.

St. John's Jesuit is top seed in NW, followed by Northview.

Does it matter from the SW district?

Looking at my hockey rankings...Jerome has beat numerous teams ranked from Toledo and Cleveland.
Have to be team to beat in SW district.

I think this is the year a Columbus team finally makes it to the championship game. They draw the Sylvania district winner in the semis and Jerome has already beat St. Johns and Northview this year. I look for them to end the 0-16 streak.

EDIT: Looks like Columbus plays Kent, Sylvania vs. Brooklyn. OHSAA was slow to update their bracket.

Last edited:
Ignatius ekes out a 10-0 win versus Brecksville in the opening round of the state tourney. Must have felt strange for the Cats playing against a team that actually is from Ohio.

With Ed's being upset (?) by Holy Name, it may be time to close this thread and start a new one focusing solely on the remaining state tourney contenders.

With Ed's being upset (?) by Holy Name, it may be time to close this thread and start a new one focusing solely on the remaining state tourney contenders.

Not an upset. HN was seeded higher, finished higher in the GLHL standings, and knocked the Eagles out of the Cleveland Cup as well.

Sorry, I just assumed Ed's would be the team that knocked Ignatius off its high horse as it had done so many times in the past.

Very difficult to beat a bought team! Ignatius has turned its sites to hockey and soccer as the premier sports at Ignatius. The reasoning is simple and understood by most on the street. The two money sports. Smart move.

Congrats to winning another hockey title.

Ignatius appears to have a smooth road to the district title game. As for the Frozen Four, not sure who is favored.

Gilmour will be favored from the east side.

St. John's Jesuit is top seed in NW, followed by Northview.

Does it matter from the SW district?

Looks like I was wrong on NW Ohio. Northview beat St. John's in district title game.

Also wrong on Cleveland east, as University School beat Gilmour.

Ignatius should dismiss Holy Name tomorrow...

Dublin Jerome and Olentangy Liberty play tomorrow for the final spot in Frozen Four. The winner draws University School in the semis next week. May finally get a win for that district after 16 consecutive losses? Possible. This U.S. team not as strong as some of their other teams of the past decade.