7. - Bishop Fenwick - 89
8. - Mt. Vernon - 72
9. - Dublin Scioto - 49
10- Carroll - 38
..... Chaminade-Julienne - 15
..... Whetstone - 11
..... Worthington Kilbourne - 11
..... St. Vincent-St. Mary - 6

Best guess I can come up with is benefit of the doubt. Other than the head-to-head matchup last week, they both lost to Darby at the Elite (WS 3-1, Moe 3-0) and both beat Ignatius (3-1). Moeller did hang around with Elder for 5 sets with the 5th going 20-18.

Moeller plays St X on Tuesday and Elder on Friday this week, so they'll have another chance to earn their ranking or risk falling even lower. Hard to believe they already have 7 losses on the year. Many had them as the State Favorite.

Best guess I can come up with is benefit of the doubt. Other than the head-to-head matchup last week, they both lost to Darby at the Elite (WS 3-1, Moe 3-0) and both beat Ignatius (3-1). Moeller did hang around with Elder for 5 sets with the 5th going 20-18.

Moeller plays St X on Tuesday and Elder on Friday this week, so they'll have another chance to earn their ranking or risk falling even lower. Hard to believe they already have 7 losses on the year. Many had them as the State Favorite.

Moeller obviously played #1 Elder very tough but they still lost. WS beat Moeller convincingly recently at Darby.

Should be IMO:

1. Elder
2. St. X
3. Darby
4. Westerville South
5. Moeller
6. St. Ignatius
7. Beavercreek
then the rest...Lakota, Northmont, Centerville

Hilliard Darby had a bad week late in the season before winning the title in 2015. Furthermore, the Panthers nearly lost in the regionals, before putting it all together during the state tournament. Moeller could do the same, but they have the added challenge of being in tougher region.

Hilliard Darby had a bad week late in the season before winning the title in 2015. Furthermore, the Panthers nearly lost in the regionals, before putting it all together during the state tournament. Moeller could do the same, but they have the added challenge of being in tougher region.

I'm certainly not counting them out. If the regular season ended today, Moeller would be #3 and would get the choice to play in Regional #1 or Regional #2. It would be interesting to see which route they would take in that spot. They lost at St X in a close 5 set match with a starter going down early in the match, and they've split with Elder winning in 4 at home, but losing in 5 at the Elite.

The 2015 Darby team also wasn't a state favorite. Not many outside the Darby circle (maybe not even that many within) were picking Darby to win state. But your point about faltering late in the year holds water. The 2010 Elder team that won state finished 7th at the Centerville Elite.

I'm certainly not counting them out.

Yep, I know that.... Knowing that you're one of the most knowledgeable boys VB guys around, I always read your posts to stay informed. Thanks for all of your input. I've not gotten to watch as much boys VB as I'd like, but what I've seen, I've liked a lot... a great game that I hope more schools pick up.

Who is voted #1 after this week?

Darby recently has swept Elder and Moeller (twice), but lost 3-1 to St. Xavier.

Moeller just beat St. Xavier this week in 5, but has recent decisive losses to Westerville South and Darby.

Elder won Centerville Elite defeating Moeller and St. Xavier along the way, but just got handled by Darby AT Darby.

St. Xavier won Spikes for Tykes this weekend and handled Darby 3-1, but lost in 5 games to Moeller and lost decisively to Elder in Centerville Elite.

Honestly, IMO case for #1 ranking can be made for Elder, St. Xavier or Darby right now.

At this point, I would put Moeller in with the next group (Westerville South, St. Ignatius, Beavercreek), even though they clearly have the ability to beat anyone in the state.

What were the Friday results of Elder/Moe at Elder?

Last edited:
Who is voted #1 after this week?

Darby recently has swept Elder and Moeller (twice), but lost 3-1 to St. Xavier.

Moeller just beat St. Xavier this week in 5, but has recent decisive losses to Westerville South and Darby.

Elder won Centerville Elite defeating Moeller and St. Xavier along the way, but just got handled by Darby AT Darby.

St. Xavier won Spikes for Tykes this weekend and handled Darby 3-1, but lost in 5 games to Moeller and lost decisively to Elder in Centerville Elite.

Honestly, IMO case for #1 ranking can be made for Elder, St. Xavier or Darby right now.

At this point, I would put Moeller in with the next group (Westerville South, St. Ignatius, Beavercreek), even though they clearly have the ability to beat anyone in the state.

What were the Friday results of Elder/Moe at Elder?
Moe in 4. Let's add to the chaos.

I don't know... Maybe compare head-to-head results the last three weeks among the top 5 and rank them accordingly. IMHO, anyone ranked #1 is going to have a tenuous claim on that spot. Using that measure, I think Darby (4-1 vs. top 5) actually comes out ahead.

Wow! Moe won in 4 at Elder?

Forget #1 in state. Who is #1 in South Region?
If Elder is 2 seed do they still have home court advantage in tournament?

If so, it probably doesn't matter their seed does it? St X and Moe still prob end up in same bracket regardless of seeding if they have their choice right?

Wow! Moe won in 4 at Elder?

Forget #1 in state. Who is #1 in South Region?
If Elder is 2 seed do they still have home court advantage in tournament?

If so, it probably doesn't matter their seed does it? St X and Moe still prob end up in same bracket regardless of seeding if they have their choice right?
The Regional locations are set, they will be played at Elder this year. If Moeller gets the #1 seed, Elder and X will likely be in the other Regional. Whoever is #3 will have the option. If Elder beats X next Friday, X is likely the #3 and at that point being 0-3 against Elder can choose to avoid them and play in Moeller's Regional.

Based on the matches so far, X plays Moeller well, Moeller plays Elder well and Elder plays X well. Based on those matchups the seeding will be HUGE.

This may be strange to consider, but having the 3rd seed in the South may be more preferable than being the 1 seed. Having the choice of which team you want to play is quite an advantage this year with how the matchups have gone