Any Bids for Nationals yet from Ohio?

CASE W

Vanguard seemed close.
Do the Cincinnati and Columbus clubs usually have the edge over Cleveland outfits? I have a nephew in the burbs there that should check out the sport.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in St. Louis. I know most Ohio teams will be there.

Attack 18-1 did well in OVR's at Columbus convention center, even without Malott.

I can see Vanguard getting a bid this weekend. The duos of Cowen-Clark and Cowen-Bowling are just too nasty. However like sweet said, they have choked a bit in tourney play. Attack 18-1 handed it to them earlier in the first OVR tourney in columbus.

Excited to see how it goes! Go OVR

Vanguard 17 Gold has a bid from Chicago, and we're runner up at Penn State. Just think how nasty they'll be when they add Bowling and Mikesh to that roster. What's a cry is they have three liberals who could all play for the team(Mikesh, Salmons, Gallahger)... Next year we could be talking the best team to ever play club from Ohio(right now I believe it was the Vanguard team with Kelso and Thane)

Both Vanguard 18 Gold teams are in contention for a bid.. Honestly if they play well both could get one. Vanguard 15s should also contend for one. They were close in Chicago.

Attack 18-1 should also contend for a bid.

I think Ohio will add 3-4 bid teams across all age groups this weekend. Best of luck to all

Vanguard 17-1 is the best Ohio team for their age group. They got a bid in Chicago. Cinci Attack 18-1 appears to be the best Ohio team at that age group with both Air City and Vanguard close behind.

To answer the question about Cincinnati and Columbus having the edge over Cleveland, the simple answer is yes. I would say Dayton area (Air City) is generally better than Cleveland too

Vanguard 17-1 won the St Louis bid tournament this past weekend, which I believe is the first time an Ohio team has won a bid tournament of that size. Vanguard won Florida Fest recently, but is a MUCH smaller tournament. Very impressive performance from them. It also appears that barring any At-Large bids they will be the only Ohio team competing in Open Nationals

Cincy Attack

Cincinnati 16 Black almost got the bid, they were in Gold, and came in 11th place out of 64 teams. Great Performance by Donovan Peed their setter. Amazing!

Vanguard 17-1 won the St Louis bid tournament this past weekend, which I believe is the first time an Ohio team has won a bid tournament of that size. Vanguard won Florida Fest recently, but is a MUCH smaller tournament. Very impressive performance from them. It also appears that barring any At-Large bids they will be the only Ohio team competing in Open Nationals

Wow, congrats to them. I just looked on OVRs website and noticed that they moved up to the 18U division for regionals. I am interested to see how well they do against the Attack 18-1 and Vanguard 18-1 teams. Should be a fun Regionals

I think it's fair to say that Vanguard 17-1 is the best team Ohio has ever seen. The Kelso/Thane Vanguard team was very good, but this years team finished 4th in Chicago, 2nd at Penn State, and won St. Louis. They're only getting better. I can't think of another club team in Ohio history that has performed that well. AND they should be even better next year when you do add Bowling, Gerwig, and Mikesch. I could see a top 10 finish at nationals. I would strongly suggest to the Vanguard directors to take them to the SoCal tournament next year.

Anyone have any insight on why the Vanguard 18-1's can't compete? With Cowan, Clark, and Mikesch, can't imagine too many teams with that kind of firepower.

I wouldn't add Bowling. I checked the roster last year and he was on Vanguard 17's and they did not do as well as this year. He got added to 18-1 and they have tanked all year. Coincidence? I think not. Mikesch is very good and could help the 17's, but I wouldn't mess with the mojo.

Anyone have any insight on why the Vanguard 18-1's can't compete? With Cowan, Clark, and Mikesch, can't imagine too many teams with that kind of firepower.

I wouldn't add Bowling. I checked the roster last year and he was on Vanguard 17's and they did not do as well as this year. He got added to 18-1 and they have tanked all year. Coincidence? I think not. Mikesch is very good and could help the 17's, but I wouldn't mess with the mojo.

In my opinion the reason Vanguard 17-1 is so successful is the number of aggressive jump servers they have. I believe they have 4 guys that get back there and just take a rip at the ball. Sure it leads to a lot of misses but when they are on, they get the opponents out of system and setting the pins which plays right into Vanguards other strength, which is blocking the pin hitters.

Don't kid yourself, Bowling would absolutely help this team, but I agree that Mikesch would be an even bigger addition

Bowling is a hot head.. If he is on he is tough to stop, but if he isn't then it's not good.

The biggest struggle with Vanguard 18-1 I'm saying would most likely be the Middles. Ohio doesn't really have a stud middle in the state. Yes there are some decent ones, but nothing even remotely close to Melsop from last year... Let alone a Kelso.

Btw I think Gallagher and Mikesh are the best two liberals in the Vanguard system overall.

17-1s could argue for a top 10 seed at nationals, and a finish there too. 18-1s for vanguard has a good argument for an at large. They have plenty of talent but can't put it together.

So you're saying when J.Nationals return to Columbus in 2017, the home side will have an opportunity to compete for the Big (18s) prize ?

BTW what are "liberals' in volleyball parlance. OH's ?

I am not an expert on the sport, just a spectator who enjoys watching when there is good ball played in town. Except for state tournament, has Bowling ever done anything?

I had a friend who watched them in St Louis a couple of times. She said he got yanked and pouted the rest of the day. Mom was too. She said that he got another chance in the gold round and hit just about every ball out of bounds or in net.

I talked to a few parents from the central ohio and club circuits and they indicated that he does not get along with anybody on the 18s team and his act is getting old to others in the club. Hope he can pull it together. Would be awesome to see him live up to his potential.

I could see the lack of middles for 18's. Mikesch is really good. From what I have seen from Gallagher, he is not as quick but his serve receive appears to be pretty consistent.

IMO, with a team that talented it's 1 of 2 things. Coaching, or the chemistry. And Alberton played at Ohio State, so I don't think it's that one. Someone posted in this thread earlier that everyone at Vanguard is tired of Bowling's attitude. Maybe that's a big factor to their lack of chemistry. And having bad middles doesn't help

Bowling did make the USA A1 National training team, so clearly the potential is there. Coaches and scouts much more experienced then you or I can see it. I'll agree that right now he is probably talked up too much, but saying he should be left off Vanguard 18-1 team next year doesn't add up.

Bruggemann (sp?) from Attack 18-1 and Moeller is the best middle in the state, followed by Yates from Attack 18-1 and St X.

Next year, Vanguard 18 will add Mikesch and Bowling. Not sure Gerwig would see the court for that team though.

Going back to the point about Kelso and Fanfulik Vanguard team being best Ohio club team ever. Someone on here a while back that two players by the name of Max Holt and Steve Kehoe played on the same Cinci Attack team and had quite a bit of success at the national level. Think they might have an argument for the best club team from Ohio distinction

Bowling is a hot head.. If he is on he is tough to stop, but if he isn't then it's not good.

The biggest struggle with Vanguard 18-1 I'm saying would most likely be the Middles. Ohio doesn't really have a stud middle in the state. Yes there are some decent ones, but nothing even remotely close to Melsop from last year... Let alone a Kelso.

Btw I think Gallagher and Mikesh are the best two liberals in the Vanguard system overall.

17-1s could argue for a top 10 seed at nationals, and a finish there too. 18-1s for vanguard has a good argument for an at large. They have plenty of talent but can't put it together.

The 17-1s will be a team to be reckoned with next year. They will gain Gerwig, a high-flyer and is becoming a strong pin hitter. They already have Woodson, Brinkerhoff, and Topp. Bowling may not see much playing time because those hitters are far more consistent and have a much smaller egos. Bowling also struggles on serve receive and has his work cut out for him in the offseason to earn a starting position.

They gain Mikesch, Salmons, and Margevicius which adds significant depth in their back row. Next year I won't be surprised if they keep Gallagher down because he is only a sophomore.

A potential issue for next year will be the 18-1 team cannot have more than 4 players from a high school (Darby). They will have to choose between Salmons, Lee, Bowling, Brinkerhoff, and Moldovan.

Anyone have a play out of OVR results. What do you think the 17-1 will finish? I personally think they can do great but not sure as they can be inconsistent at times

The 17-1s will be a team to be reckoned with next year. They will gain Gerwig, a high-flyer and is becoming a strong pin hitter. They already have Woodson, Brinkerhoff, and Topp. Bowling may not see much playing time because those hitters are far more consistent and have a much smaller egos. Bowling also struggles on serve receive and has his work cut out for him in the offseason to earn a starting position.

They gain Mikesch, Salmons, and Margevicius which adds significant depth in their back row. Next year I won't be surprised if they keep Gallagher down because he is only a sophomore.

A potential issue for next year will be the 18-1 team cannot have more than 4 players from a high school (Darby). They will have to choose between Salmons, Lee, Bowling, Brinkerhoff, and Moldovan.

To comment on the LIBEROS(sorry my autocorrect got me).. Mikesh is pretty darn good. My argument for Gallagher is that he is very consistent on serve receive which has always been a problem for Vanguard against higher level teams.

For the 18-1 I believe the issues surround the lack of middles(moldovlan(spell check again??) is very good but a year younger, and that does make a big difference in guys for a physical position like that).. And Bowling. He is rumored to be a pain to play with. Yes he is good.. But a total head case.

Between the five Darby players listed.. It'd be who won the libero battle.. But straight up it'd be between taking a less talented Wyatt Lee or a head case in Bowling. I'd say Bowling would get left off.

To comment on the LIBEROS(sorry my autocorrect got me).. Mikesh is pretty darn good. My argument for Gallagher is that he is very consistent on serve receive which has always been a problem for Vanguard against higher level teams.

For the 18-1 I believe the issues surround the lack of middles(moldovlan(spell check again??) is very good but a year younger, and that does make a big difference in guys for a physical position like that).. And Bowling. He is rumored to be a pain to play with. Yes he is good.. But a total head case.

Between the five Darby players listed.. It'd be who won the libero battle.. But straight up it'd be between taking a less talented Wyatt Lee or a head case in Bowling. I'd say Bowling would get left off.

It is rumored that Vanguard is interested in the Indy Assault 17-1 Setter and trying to bring him to Columbus next year.

Last edited:
Anyone have a play out of OVR results. What do you think the 17-1 will finish? I personally think they can do great but not sure as they can be inconsistent at times

Looks like the seeds are:
1. Vanguard 18-1
2. Cinci Attack 18-1
3. Air City 18-1
4. Vanguard 17-1
5. Vanguard 18-2
6. Ignite 18-1
7. BVP 18-1
8. Phoenix 18-1

I would say the top 4 win their pools, putting Vanguard 18-1 and 17-1 against each other, and Attack vs Air City

I'll take Vanguard 18-1 over Attack in the finals.

Wonder why only one Attack team is listed in this tournament? I thought every OVR team attended and they have 3 or 4 teams

Bowling did make the USA A1 National training team, so clearly the potential is there. Coaches and scouts much more experienced then you or I can see it. I'll agree that right now he is probably talked up too much, but saying he should be left off Vanguard 18-1 team next year doesn't add up.

Bruggemann (sp?) from Attack 18-1 and Moeller is the best middle in the state, followed by Yates from Attack 18-1 and St X.

Next year, Vanguard 18 will add Mikesch and Bowling. Not sure Gerwig would see the court for that team though.

Going back to the point about Kelso and Fanfulik Vanguard team being best Ohio club team ever. Someone on here a while back that two players by the name of Max Holt and Steve Kehoe played on the same Cinci Attack team and had quite a bit of success at the national level. Think they might have an argument for the best club team from Ohio distinction

I am thinking the only ones talking Bowling up are the ones bashing.....you are correct in saying that he will most definitely not be left off the 18-1 next year.

Leave the talent evaluations to the ones who have him on VG 18-1 this year and on USA A1.

I am thinking the only ones talking Bowling up are the ones bashing.....you are correct in saying that he will most definitely not be left off the 18-1 next year.

Leave the talent evaluations to the ones who have him on VG 18-1 this year and on USA A1.

First of all.. Never questioned his talent or potential. He is a very good volleyball player. But you have to have good chemistry to win nationals. Teams he has been on aren't exactly loaded with chemistry, and I'm sorry but he's a big reason why

It is rumored that Vanguard is interested in the Indy Assault 17-1 Setter and trying to bring him to Columbus next year which would explain leaving Wyatt Lee off that team.

Wyatt lee I believe is undersized and is average athletically. Maybe he could compete for a DS spot, as his brother was a pretty stud libero not too long ago.

Also doubt they would replace Zwabinski. He is tall, pretty athletic, and has worked hard on his hands. Reminds me of a less refined Ian Cowen

States states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states states