Toughest Weight in the State?

brianwr112

Bucksman and Boro can probably answer this question better than most since they follow the entire State/Country but what's everyone's opinion on toughest weight class in the state this year?

It seems like every event I've gone to the talk has been about 138 which usually ended up being true at the end of the day. Granted some of these events had wrestlers State Champs wrestling from out of state (normally Fausz from Cambell County). At the Dayton Holiday alone there's a legit chance all three Ohio champs could have wrestled as well as Kentucky and Georgia's.

Just food for thought. Not trying to start a yappi war just a fun discussion. And just for the record the team I'm involved with currently doesn't have a 38 so no dog in this fight.

Bucksman and Boro can probably answer this question better than most since they follow the entire State/Country but what's everyone's opinion on toughest weight class in the state this year?

It seems like every event I've gone to the talk has been about 138 which usually ended up being true at the end of the day. Granted some of these events had wrestlers State Champs wrestling from out of state (normally Fausz from Cambell County). At the Dayton Holiday alone there's a legit chance all three Ohio champs could have wrestled as well as Kentucky and Georgia's.

Just food for thought. Not trying to start a yappi war just a fun discussion. And just for the record the team I'm involved with currently doesn't have a 38 so no dog in this fight.

I think 38 is probably the deepest weight in D2 and D3 and D1 is pretty deep as well. Although 182 has some studs Sizemore/McLaughlin/Caywoo/Linton/Harris/Adkins/Robinson etc. I'd pick 38 over 182 for pure depth but 182 has some of the best 182's in the country IMO

I was looking more at depth with all three divisions being combined as they are at many tournaments.

This I'm sure is old news but it could be argued 135-140 was the area where a weight class was lost causing a log jam at weights that were normally already filled. 182 was added to be that step between 171 and 189 which now puts kids in that mid range (normally LB size as I call it) a chance to compete at their size.

I'll take the top at 113, as long as Dustin Warner is considered in there, against any weight in the state. Rodriguez, Lee, Stickley, Warner, Beard, Speiss, Bentley, Guillen, etc. That's 4 guys who are or have been nationally ranked this year, can any other weight claim that?

I'll take the top at 113, as long as Dustin Warner is considered in there, against any weight in the state. Rodriguez, Lee, Stickley, Warner, Beard, Speiss, Bentley, Guillen, etc. That's 4 guys who are or have been nationally ranked this year, can any other weight claim that?

My argument is top to bottom and kids I've actually witnessed wrestle. Though I know those kids names I haven't watched many wrestle in person which makes it unfair to judge them. Though I look at national rankings I try not to use those as a scale because I believe a lot are based on out of season competition and some kids simply don't wrestle national tournaments whether it be for playing other sports or other reasons.

There's no right or wrong answer here, just starting a discussion.

Depends on how you define "best."
1.Weight with best wrestler in any division.
2. Best wrestler per division.
3. Toughest weight to place any division.
4. Toughest to place per division.
5. Toughest to Qualify per Div (deepest).

When looking at the projected champs in each division, 152 is toughest followed by 113/120/126/160/170/145/HVY (no order)

Newton/Mossing/Danishek

The way I intended to rank was with overall depth. Matches people would want to see if there weren't divisions and no rooting interest.

Like I said before there's no right or wrong. Just something to discuss

At the top end both 113 and 138 are loaded. I think there's a much bigger drop off at 113 once you get past the names already mentioned. In terms of overall depth, I'd say 138 is quite a bit deeper.

Our heavyweight is pretty good... I think he could beat some of those 113's your talking about!:p

D1 120
if you look at dilution by 3 divisions...
It's a list of egotistical napoleonic complex crazy cat's....and I that in a BMF way!
Sprinkle in a few "excitable" parents and this weight class is going to be a riot in C-bus....

Our heavyweight is pretty good... I think he could beat some of those 113's your talking about!:p

D1 120
if you look at dilution by 3 divisions...
It's a list of egotistical napoleonic complex crazy cat's....and I that in a BMF way!
Sprinkle in a few "excitable" parents and this weight class is going to be a riot in C-bus....

D1

Austin Assad, Brecksville, junior
Alex Mackall, Walsh Jesuit, sophomore
Armando Torres, Elyria, senior
Josh Heil, Brunswick, sophomore
Corey Shie, LaSalle, freshman
Jake Newhouse, Massillon Perry, junior
Moises Guillen, Perrysburg, freshman

D3.

Evan Cheek, Milan Edison, junior
Dustin Warner, Claymont, senior

Garrett Hancock, Troy Christian, junior
Zack Durbin, Mapleton, senior
Tyler Sarreshteh, Liberty Benton, junior
Michael May, Dayton Christian, junior
Alex Smith, Sandusky SMCC, junior

D2.

Ryan Bennett, CVCA, junior
Collin Dees, Perry, senior
Mario Kastl, St. Paris Graham, sophomore
Brad Taton, Lake Catholic, senior

Dad4SportsThe weight class your son is wrestling in...:):blush: :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

Last edited:
I know these guys have more acalades than what I put down but here is a brief

Austin Assad, Brecksville, junior Fargo AA
Alex Mackall, Walsh Jesuit, sophomore Fargo AA
Armando Torres, Elyria, senior Fargo AA ?
Josh Heil, Brunswick, sophomore Tulsa AA a million times State placer
Corey Shie, LaSalle, freshman Fargo AA Winningest wrestler in the history of Ohio in USA Wrestling, Also has been ranked Nationally for many years in USA Wrestling.
Jake Newhouse, Massillon Perry, Fargo AA junior Flo National Runner up?
Evan Cheek, Milan Edison, junior Fargo AA
Dustin Warner, Claymont, senior State placer 2x’s ?

I think it depends on your definition of toughness.
Are you talking about good depth throughout or the number of kids that can win a state title in Columbus.
Overall depth I'm going with 138 but I think 5 kids can win 120. I'm not sure if any other weight class has that capability

With Chalmer wrestling 220, you could see some drops (Pfarr maybe) to 195. He mentioned he was going to stay at 220 but...

Conel, Scales, Pfarr (if he drops), Murphy, Thornberry...that's a helluva top 5.