2013 State Tournament Favorite(s)

From Brooklyn: Rocky River 5, Holy Name 2.

Holy Name swept the overall season series, but somehow the Pirates were able to win in the game that counted the most.

Kind of ironic that the year before the top private school programs will bolt from the GCHSHL that two traditionally solid public school programs that will anchor next year's Red North were able to win their respective district tournaments and head down to the state tournament. Congrats to both Rocky River and Shaker Heights, one of whom will get the chance to play for the state title next weekend.

Based on memory, I believe that this is Rocky River's first trip to the state Final Four, though I could be wrong (particularly if they made an appearance prior to the early 1990s).

From Brooklyn: Rocky River 5, Holy Name 2.

Holy Name swept the overall season series, but somehow the Pirates were able to win in the game that counted the most.

Kind of ironic that the year before the top private school programs will bolt from the GCHSHL that two traditionally solid public school programs that will anchor next year's Red North were able to win their respective district tournaments and head down to the state tournament. Congrats to both Rocky River and Shaker Heights, one of whom will get the chance to play for the state title next weekend.

Based on memory, I believe that this is Rocky River's first trip to the state Final Four, though I could be wrong (particularly if they made an appearance prior to the early 1990s).

Second trip. First was 1979.

An all public school Frozen Four...Shaker, Northview, Rocky River, Olentangy Liberty. Last time that happened was 1984 (30 years)...Bowling Green, North Olmsted, Whitmer, Cleveland Heights.

Last edited:
Don't know much about this sport other than how to read a scoreboard. It appears that the challengers are...

St. Ignatius
St. Ed's
US
Shaker
St. John
Northview
Olentangy Liberty

On an entire body of work, it looks like Ignatius should be favored, but it also appears they could lose to any one of these teams. Ignatius has lost to TSJ, St. Ed's and tied Liberty and US. Overall, Ignatius is 8-2-2 against this group (haven't played Northview). As usual, Ignatius will likely have to get by rival St. Ed's to get out of Brooklyn.

Anyone who watches this sport closely have any opinions?

P.s.: Ed's 4-5-2 against this group; Shaker 2-6; US 5-6-1; OL 0-2-3; TSJ 4-4; Northview 4-2

Three of the final four came off this list (Shaker, OL, Northview). River is the big surprise, combining with Holy Name to knock off Ignatius and Ed's. That is really big news, especially as the big privates in the Cleveland area head off to form their own league next year.

Still amazed at the fact that St Ignatius, St Edward, and St John are all done. It was a special atmosphere inside Brooklyn on Saturday, and I couldn't be happier for both Rocky River and Holy Name.

I've got Shaker over River and Northview over Liberty with Shaker bringing it home. Just have a feeling about those guys.

But with the way this season/tournament has gone, who knows what will happen in Columbus...

I'll bet Northview is feeling quite confident right now. I hope the RR/SH winner pulls the upset and brings trophy home to Cleveland

I'll bet Northview is feeling quite confident right now. I hope the RR/SH winner pulls the upset and brings trophy home to Cleveland

I agree, would love to see Liberty somehow pull it off too (even though I see it as highly unlikely). Great bunch of kids and a stellar coaching staff down there for the Patriots.

I was impressed with Northview when I saw them in December, even more so than I was with Ignatius or University School. I would not be shocked to see them pull off their second straight title, this one a little more unexpected than last year's.

while not on this scale, Hoover had a good season as well, winning our division, Baron Cup, and first round tournament game before running into University. hopefully we can continue to build the program to be competitive with these excellent teams.

Shaker Heights defeats Rocky River, 4-2 in the 1st Semifinal.

It was tied 2-2 after the second. Shaker dominated the shots

Northview scores 4 unanswered to beat Olentangy Liberty, 4-2. Liberty led 2-0 after the 1st.

Shaker Hts vs. Northview for the State Title on Saturday at 7pm. Northview beat Shaker, 3-2, in December. I've got the Wildcats winning their 2nd straight title

Wow, congrats to the Raiders! A few years ago the trajectory of the Shaker Heights program seemed to be on a down slide like those at almost all of the other former public school hockey powers in NEO. I would have never predicted that they'd turn things around enough to once again claim a state title. I'm really happy for Coach Bartley and company.