Nike cross vs. Footlocker

Footlockers course is much faster. Nike Nationals course is artificial and made to experience all types of cross country terrain, so it's much more challenging which means slower times.

Footlocker is the original national championship and more prestigious one. Nike has only been around for 10 years and has used their branding and big name to try and claim that it is a "National Championship" when in fact there are several teams that dont have the opportunity to compete in NXN.

Footlocker is the original national championship and more prestigious one. Nike has only been around for 10 years and has used their branding and big name to try and claim that it is a "National Championship" when in fact there are several teams that dont have the opportunity to compete in NXN.

Yep. CJ Robinson won the Footlocker way back in December of 1981 in a still-standing Cincy record of 16:41. There's been a lot of greats go thru that meet.

The NXN course is only slow because it's a mud pit each year. It's on the infield of a horse track with only minor hills/rises.

The National Footlocker course is much tougher than it looks on camera. There are few flat sections. The course will almost always be dry because it's in San Diego, but make no mistake - it's not a "fast" course. It just has incredibly fast athletes competing on it.

There is no team component to Footlocker, other than the regional "teams". Because of this it is essentially a showcase for individual talents. NXN does advance some individuals, but its emphasis is still clearly on teams.

Lightfoot is doing the Footlocker race November 27th in Kenosha WI. I will let you know how the course is:)
I heard LOTS of colleges are there watching.

Edward Cheseret, the nations fastest XC runner, has committed to FL. Lukas Verzbicas ran FL the only two years he ran post-season. Go to the FL website and look at who has competed at FL over the years and you'll realize that this is one truly amazing race.

Nike Team Nats is a great experience team-wise and they do have a very competitive individual component but FL is still the post season gem.

Ohio goes to the Midwest-Wisconsin Regional. Go to the website and look at our Ohio representation over the years. It's a who's Who of Ohio XC.

A testimonial to the competitiveness of this race is shown by the impressive list of HS stars that fail to qualify each year out of this extremely competitive Regional.

When you hear talk of it being watered down with the advent of the Nike Meet, don't believe it for a second. Just ask Michael Brajdic or Zach Wills how watered-down it was last year. Or ask Bridget Franek how watered down it was when she failed to qualify.

Footlocker trivia for Ohio runners.

1. Has there ever been a national boys qualifier from the smallest division in Ohio?
2. Has there ever been a national boys qualifier from the middle division on Ohio?
3. Has any Ohio runner ever won a boys national championship?
4. Has any Ohio boys runner ever broken 15:00 at nationals?
5. Which Ohio boys runner has the most national qualifications and how many?
6. What is the highest number of Ohio boys athletes to qualify for nationals in any given year?
7. Which Ohio high school has the most number of national qualifiers and how many?

1. Has there ever been a national boys qualifier from the smallest division in Ohio?
2. Has there ever been a national boys qualifier from the middle division on Ohio?
6. What is the highest number of Ohio boys athletes to qualify for nationals in any given year?
7. Which Ohio high school has the most number of national qualifiers and how many?

Don't know, but will take a stab at answers. . .

1) Someone from Caldwell or Samuel Borchers or Earl Zilles?
2) Scott Fry?
3) Scott Fry? Bob Kennedy?
4) Scott Fry?
5) Scott Fry?
6)2?
7) Mason (1), Sandusky Perkins(1), Caldwell (1 or 2), Westerville North (1)?

Just guesses.

I'll take a stab w/o my cheat sheet...

1) Hesson from Caldwell
2) Henes of Peninsula Woodridge (there have been others; kid from Kansas Lakota in 84, among others)
3) Yes - Scott Fry of Sandusky Perkins in 1984, Bob Kennedy of Westerville North in 87
4) Yes - Scott Fry and Bob Henes (Bob Mau ran 15:00.0 in 1981, I believe)
5) Brian Hesson of Caldwell qualified 3 times
6) 4 - in 92 or 93: Hesson, Ritchie, White, and Rexing
7) LaSalle - Bockenstette, Fulmer, Padgett and Bader

I'll take a stab w/o my cheat sheet...

1) Hesson from Caldwell
2) Henes of Peninsula Woodridge (there have been others; kid from Kansas Lakota in 84, among others)
3) Yes - Scott Fry of Sandusky Perkins in 1984, Bob Kennedy of Westerville North in 87
4) Yes - Scott Fry and Bob Henes (Bob Mau ran 15:00.0 in 1981, I believe)
5) Brian Hesson of Caldwell qualified 3 times
6) 4 - in 92 or 93: Hesson, Ritchie, White, and Rexing
7) LaSalle - Bockenstette, Fulmer, Padgett and Bader

Wow! Seek Up, what a guy! He gets them all from memory without checking.
1. You can add Stuart Henderson of McDonald to the list #1 in 1989. He was 5th in 15:10
2. Scott Frey falls under #2 as Perkins was class AA in 1984. Three years in a row someone places out of Ohio's class AA division at Footlocker Nationals: Frey 1984, Henes 1985, and Mckowan 1986. Tom Woods of Triway also did it in 1988 out of class AA. Finally Michael Brajdic of Bay last year.
3. You can add Kennedy to the list #4 in 1987, went 14:59.
For the record, #6 was 1992

Last edited:
Lightfoot is doing the Footlocker race November 27th in Kenosha WI. I will let you know how the course is:)

I have run that course a couple times, and it's a bear. The first 1/2 mile is uphill, and it generally doesn't get much easier after that. Thanksgiving weekend weather near the shores of Lake Michigan generally makes for a sloppy course, but your daughter excelled in those conditions this season.

6. Not only did at least 4 Ohio boys qualify in '92, but Hesson, Rexing, Ritchie, and White finished top 8 in that year's Foot Locker National race.

Ohio's Kinney/Footlocker Nationls Dream team (Top 7) by place.

1. Scott Fry - Sandusky Perkins (1st)
2. Bob Kennedy - Westerville North (1st)
3. John Sence - Milford (2nd)
4. Brian Hesson - Caldwell (3rd)
5. J.J. White - Dublin (3rd)
6. Robert Henes -Woodridge (5th)
7. Stuart Henderson - McDonald (5th)
Josh Ritchie - Walsh Jesuit (5th)

Ohio's Kinney/Footlocker Nationals Dream Team (7) by time on the course at Balboa Park in San Diego only.

1. Scott Fry - Sandusky Perkins - 14:50.0
2. Rober Henes - Woodridge - 14:52.6
3. Bob Kennedy - Westerville North - 14:59.0
4. Wesley Smith - Hudson - 15:01.0
5. John Sence - Milford - 15:08.9
6. Dean Fulmer - La Salle - 15:10.4
7. Stuart Henderson - McDonald - 15:10.9

Last edited:
Dress Warm.

Woodridge and Wal$h have had both a boy and girl Footlocker qualifier.
What other schools have done that?

My daughter ran NXN as an individual and it was an awesome experience. I know most people say to run FL if you are an individual but my daughter has no regrets running NXN instead of FL.

Dress Warm.

Woodridge and Wal$h have had both a boy and girl Footlocker qualifier.
What other schools have done that?

Clayton Northmont has had a girl, Kristy Orre - 1984, and a boy, Joe Barnes - 1997 and 1998, qualify to Footlocker Nationals.

So I am new to this sport and my son is running around a 16:45 in a 5K during cross country but not quite fast enough for the elite race. Is it worth the drive from Ohio to the footlocker open race. I want to support and do everything to help him get faster, just wanted to ask from all the experienced folks on Yappi.

Interested in your thoughts.

My daughter ran NXN as an individual and it was an awesome experience. I know most people say to run FL if you are an individual but my daughter has no regrets running NXN instead of FL.

NXN only starting taking individuals a few years ago. Nike as the supporter of NXN spends over one million on those kids who qualify, something footlocker can't afford to do. I predict the demise of footlocker down the road or the watering down of who goes there. I believe the saying is money talks...

So I am new to this sport and my son is running around a 16:45 in a 5K during cross country but not quite fast enough for the elite race. Is it worth the drive from Ohio to the footlocker open race. I want to support and do everything to help him get faster, just wanted to ask from all the experienced folks on Yappi.

A lot depends on your son's mindset and age. If he is not hungry to continue training and race, then I would not recommend it. It is a long drive on a weekend that could be used for resting and recharging.

If he is hungry to train/race and is a freshman or sophomore with that kind of time, he could run the Fr/So race and would be competitive.

I've have many runners go up there in the past with the idea that it would be cool to be a part of a race with the best runners in a 13 state region. In most cases it has turned out to be a simple road trip with a run in the middle of it. Too often they aren't really ready to race and end up running a mediocre time which does little for their psyche. When kids are really ready they can run as fast or faster on the Midwest course than on Scioto Downs despite the hills on the Kenosha course - it really has a nice rhythm to it.

Clayton Northmont has had a girl, Kristy Orre - 1984, and a boy, Joe Barnes - 1997 and 1998, qualify to Footlocker Nationals.

I saw Kristy Orre run in 1984, was always impressed with her and used to think she was the best female runner in Ohio that year. When I went back to check the 1984 National results I was floored to see that Roger Bacon's Michelle Sica ran a 17:42.8 for ninth place while Orre ran 18:06.7 for 19th place. I knew Sica was good but never knew she had run that fast.

Kenosha is a tough course. Seems like you are either going up or down-hill the entire time. Also consider it's Wisconsin in November. At Kenosha, the times will be a lot slower after a few inches of snow.

A lot depends on your son's mindset and age. If he is not hungry to continue training and race, then I would not recommend it. It is a long drive on a weekend that could be used for resting and recharging.

If he is hungry to train/race and is a freshman or sophomore with that kind of time, he could run the Fr/So race and would be competitive.

I've have many runners go up there in the past with the idea that it would be cool to be a part of a race with the best runners in a 13 state region. In most cases it has turned out to be a simple road trip with a run in the middle of it. Too often they aren't really ready to race and end up running a mediocre time which does little for their psyche. When kids are really ready they can run as fast or faster on the Midwest course than on Scioto Downs despite the hills on the Kenosha course - it really has a nice rhythm to it.

The couple times I went up there, the whole point of it was to go on a road trip (that included stops at Chicago and Notre Dame on the way back). The race was secondary, and few us took the race seriously since were in the open races. It was so cold and icy that we were all bundled up in sweats and multiple underlayers, so we had no chance of running good times anyway.

If your son is planning to race it seriously, then he would have to hold his form 3 weeks past the state meet. That's asking a lot, especially if he's a younger runner and he has already peaked for the season.

If his goal is to go watch many of the top runners in the Midwest and have the experience of running on that course, then it's worth making the trip. If his only goal is to go somewhere and try to run a fast time and beat himself up if it doesn't happen, then you might be better served to save the time and money of such a long road trip and find a local Thanksgiving Day road race instead.