Top Running Backs - An Early Look

I agree completely. Scout.com really hasn't added anything on the 2008 prospects. Their rankings focus on the guys graduating this year.

FYI, Newton verbally committed to the University of Texas. He had offers from all of the big Texas schools and from Notre Dame (and others no doubt).

Tre listed offers from Kansas/Ole Miss/Nebraska and obviously Texas. I think that is pretty accurate. I know that a$m had not offered, and I have not seen anything with Notre Dame even showing that the was interested.

In the end Texas offered him a scholarship and he accepted. It is interesting to me that Jeremy Calhoun is thought to be a better college prospect by pretty much everyone, and was a big Longhonrn lean, but Texas decided not to recruit him and went after Tre instead.

Not to be bais because Daruis is from my city, but this kid has amazing talent only god can give. I wish some of the guys outside of Ohio could see this kid in person. After the game against Lakeland many of the Lakeland fans that I had the previlage to meet all were high on him without me and my friends even mentioning him. some of them wanted to know more about him. I went to 7 X games just to watch him this year. And from all the people that I have talked to that Know him say that he is a very humble and nice young man. Its still early but he will get more National props by the end of the season. And let me add this for his size he has the power of a back of over 200 pounds and with his moves makes his game just sick.

Last edited:
Here is a clip showing Tre Newton. It ONLY includes the first FOUR games of the 2006 season. I can't wait for a true highlight reel on him.

Here are the reasons why I'm so high on Newton:

1. He is very young. He was 16 or just turning 17 when the clips were shot. In the day of 19 and 20 year-old high school players, Tre Newton is very young. As he matures he will continue to get better. Lot's of upside potential.

2. He has good size. He is 6'1" and around 190-195 lbs. I'd guess he will be 200 lbs or more his senior year. He matches up well with the linebackers he hits. He doesn't have great lateral moves, but his north/south running is great. A great combination of speed and power.

3. Balance. Watch his balance as he breaks tackles. He always falls forward, never backward.

Enjoy.

http://64.237.99.126/oldclips/2008BA037.wmv

He reminds me of a young Corey Dillion the way he runs. Nice footage

Not to be bais because Daruis is from my city, but this kid has amazing talent only god can give. I wish some of the guys outside of Ohio could see this kid in person. After the game against Lakeland many of the Lakeland fans that I had the previlage to meet all were high on him without me and my friends even mentioning him. some of them wanted to know more about him. I went to 7 X games just to watch him this year. And from all the people that I have talked to that Know him say that he is a very humble and nice young man. Its still early but he will get more National props by the end of the season. And let me add this for his size he has the power of a back of over 200 pounds and with his moves it just his game is just sick.

Very good observations. He is very humble and he is more of a team player than a me player. Never have I heard say "I" or "Me" in an interview...most of the answers he gives to reporters dont even answer the question, he enforces that his OL and the rest of the team are more important. I personally think he runs a lot like Emmit Smith. Watch some of Smith on Youtube and then watch the clips of Darius. You were correct about how he runs with the power of someone over 200 LBs. I honestly don't think I have seen someone fight for that extra yard in Cincinnatii as well as Darius does...even Bradley Glathaar. The best about Darius game is he is sly and can do all of the jukes/spins while also he can truck you right over without thinking twice and he has less than 2.5 fumbles per season on varsity, could be wrong though.

Very good observations. He is very humble and he is more of a team player than a me player. Never have I heard say "I" or "Me" in an interview...most of the answers he gives to reporters dont even answer the question, he enforces that his OL and the rest of the team are more important.

He sounds like a great person.

The last time I heard Tre Newton interviewed the announcers commented after what a fine young man he was. Lot's of "yes sirs" and "no sirs". Very humble.

It's nice to hear about two great backs who are also good people.

He sounds like a great person.

The last time I heard Tre Newton interviewed the announcers commented after what a fine young man he was. Lot's of "yes sirs" and "no sirs". Very humble.

It's nice to hear about two great backs who are also good people.

SLCDad I agree with you when a kid such as these 2 young men show off good personilties to go with there god gifted talent that makes them that more special.

SLC's Tre Newton finished 2nd in the 200 meter dash at the district track meet this week. He also ran on the 4x100 and 4x200 relays which finished 2nd and 1st in the district respectively.

Because Tre is so tall he doesn't look as fast as he really is.

(As a side note, Derek Tomlin, a SLC returning linebacker, finished 2nd in the 100 meters. Not bad for a linebacker.)

SLC's Tre Newton finished 2nd in the 200 meter dash at the district track meet this week. He also ran on the 4x100 and 4x200 relays which finished 2nd and 1st in the district respectively.

Because Tre is so tall he doesn't look as fast as he really is.

(As a side note, Derek Tomlin, a SLC returning linebacker, finished 2nd in the 100 meters. Not bad for a linebacker.)

What is Tre's 40 Time?