Top Running Backs - An Early Look

SLCDad

According to Scout.com, here are the top 10 running backs in the USA for next year. Comments? Who should be on this list and why?

Top Running Backs
1. Ryan Bass (Centennial HS) Corona, CA 5-10/185/4.45 Florida State, UCLA, Arizona, California, San Diego State, Minnesota, USC
2. Jermie Calhoun (Van HS) Van, TX 6-0/210/4.62 Committed to Oklahoma
3. British Footman (Amos P. Godby HS) Tallahassee, FL 5-11/178/4.50 Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami (Fl)
4. Jonas Gray (Detroit Country Day School) Beverly Hills, MI 5-11/214/4.53 Auburn, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Notre Dame, West Virginia
5. Josh Haden (Friendly HS) Fort Washington, MD 5-8/190/4.38 Boston College, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Virginia Tech
6. Jeremy Hills (Alief Elsik HS) Houston, TX 5-11/185/4.50 Committed to Texas
7. Justin Johnson (Gilmer HS) Gilmer, TX 6-1/205/4.50 Committed to Oklahoma
8. Milton Knox (Birmingham Senior HS) Van Nuys, CA 5-7.5/184 Arizona, California, Florida State, Mississippi, San Diego State, UCLA, USC
9. Alonzo Landry (Carencro HS) Lafayette, LA 5-10.5/205/4.60 LSU, Miami (Fl), Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas A&M
10. Tre Newton (Carroll HS) Southlake, TX 6-1/195/4.60 Committed to Texas

I'll take Darius Ashley. Most of these guys have similar numbers while others are just as small as him and slower, but bc they're from Texas, Florida, or Cali they get ranked higher. Ashley is the best rb I've seen.

Justin Johnson has had recent issue with criminal mischief. http://www.news-journal.com/sports/content/sports/stories/03312007___gilmer_players.html

I one time Texas was considering him and backed off. Not sure if his stock will drop.

Not a top 10 but a top RB is LaMichael James from Texarkana Liberty Eylau. Led team to 3A Division I state championship. 1600 yards rushing and 500 recieving. 19 TDs. 5'9" 180#, 4.40 (Gut to Oklahoma St)

Another good Texarkana area RB is Dennis Johnson from Arkansas High - 5'8, 180# 4.40. Led Arkansas High to 6A title in Arkansas. Has 3200 yards and 34 tds in two high school years. (Gut to Arkansas)

I think Sam McGuffee is one of the most spectacular RBs that I've seen. I'm surprised he is not on the list.

There was a clip posted showing him. Anybody have a link?

The only other change I would make is move Tre Newton to #1. :D :D

I hate to speak in absolutes, but not having Darrel Scott on that list, makes it a joke.

He is from CA and recently transferred to St. Bonaventure. Last season he had 3,194 yards rushing and 45 TD's. He will likely be the top player from the west coast this year.

There is no way you can leave him off the list.

Justin Johnson is a great player, but I think most believe he will play LB in college. Texas was interested but his heart(and cousin) was in Norman. I know he got into some trouble, but that was prior to him dropping Texas.

Surprised to see Tre up there, but it's a good thing.

I'll take Darius Ashley. Most of these guys have similar numbers while others are just as small as him and slower, but bc they're from Texas, Florida, or Cali they get ranked higher. Ashley is the best rb I've seen.
Scout.com has Darius Ashley as the 35th RB in the nation. That may sound low, but it's a terrific ranking.

Darius Ashley (St. Xavier HS) Cincinnati, OH 5-9/185

He is being recruited by: Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia, West Virginia. Impressive.

I hate to speak in absolutes, but not having Darrel Scott on that list, makes it a joke.

He is from CA and recently transferred to St. Bonaventure. Last season he had 3,194 yards rushing and 45 TD's. He will likely be the top player from the west coast this year.

There is no way you can leave him off the list.

Scout.com has Darrell Scott rated #14. It's early. I'd guess things will change dramatically as the 2007 season unfolds. Afterall, these guys are juniors so the attention they get will increase as national signing day gets closer.

Surprised to see Tre up there, but it's a good thing.

I know you like Tre and root for him (especially now that he is going to Texas). You've also mentioned that you don't think he is an elite RB. That's fine. You may be right.

However, I think Tre is terrific. I've been watching him do amazing things for two years. Did you see his 80 yard run in his first game as a varsity player? I can't wait for his senior season. USAToday has Tre on it's list of top 10 players to watch in 2007 (list includes all positions). I'll be watching. Tre is a baby. Lot's of maturing left to do.

Scout.com has Darrell Scott rated #14. It's early. I'd guess things will change dramatically as the 2007 season unfolds. Afterall, these guys are juniors so the attention they get will increase as national signing day gets closer.

Scott's offer list:

California
Colorado
Florida
Michigan
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Texas a$m
UCLA

He may come to Ausint for a visit, where he most certainly would recieve another offer.

I know you like Tre and root for him (especially now that he is going to Texas). You've also mentioned that you don't think he is an elite RB. That's fine. You may be right.

However, I think Tre is terrific. I've been watching him do amazing things for two years. Did you see his 80 yard run in his first game as a varsity player? I can't wait for his senior season. USAToday has Tre on it's list of top 10 players to watch in 2007 (list includes all positions). I'll be watching. Tre is a baby. Lot's of maturing left to do.

I have always loved Tre and the way he plays. With the offense that SLC runs, it is duffucult to tell how his game will translate to an every down/run through the tackles type of player.

He certainly plays how is is asked tremendously and the Texas coaches seem to think differently than myself.

I did not see the run you are talking about, but the one in the title game was awesome.

what is the link to the scout.com list of best running backs? Their list usually isn't all that accurate till later in the season anyways

what is the link to the scout.com list of best running backs? Their list usually isn't all that accurate till later in the season anyways

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=4&pid=10&yr=2008

This is the list for QBs but you can select position and class/year. Enjoy.

Regarding the accuracy of these lists, I agree with the comments that they may not be all that accurate. It's really early and even if it wasn't these kinds of rankings (and every other ranking for that matter) is subjective.

You can get previous years. It's fun to go back now and see how accurate the rankings were based on how the players have done in college. For example, Vince Young was the #1 QB in 2002. They nailed that one. Troy Smith was #15 that same year. Missed that one.

Last edited:
it may look biased because i go to the same school as darius ashley, but i have never seen a kid of his talent in my life. Let me remind you that he is a 5'9" running back... he is the single strongest player on the football team, he has the highest bench on the team, as well as humongous legs. His combination of speed and power are incredible, in my opinion, i believe that the best college fit for darius would be West Virginia (has an offer)... the offense that they run is perfect for him, if he hits the inside holes the way steve slaton does for WVU he would thrive in that offense. Slaton often has only one man to beat in the middle and then its off to the races. Aslhley does not have the speed Slaton has, but with his power can run through the first arm tackler.

just my opinion

it may look biased because i go to the same school as darius ashley, but i have never seen a kid of his talent in my life. Let me remind you that he is a 5'9" running back... he is the single strongest player on the football team, he has the highest bench on the team, as well as humongous legs. His combination of speed and power are incredible, in my opinion, i believe that the best college fit for darius would be West Virginia (has an offer)... the offense that they run is perfect for him, if he hits the inside holes the way steve slaton does for WVU he would thrive in that offense. Slaton often has only one man to beat in the middle and then its off to the races. Aslhley does not have the speed Slaton has, but with his power can run through the first arm tackler.

just my opinion
Any clips?

He sound like Earl Campbell.

yeah i agree. rainey would be more of a slot reciever and special teams player at the next level. he has speed but not the toughness

Here is a clip showing Tre Newton. It ONLY includes the first FOUR games of the 2006 season. I can't wait for a true highlight reel on him.

Here are the reasons why I'm so high on Newton:

1. He is very young. He was 16 or just turning 17 when the clips were shot. In the day of 19 and 20 year-old high school players, Tre Newton is very young. As he matures he will continue to get better. Lot's of upside potential.

2. He has good size. He is 6'1" and around 190-195 lbs. I'd guess he will be 200 lbs or more his senior year. He matches up well with the linebackers he hits. He doesn't have great lateral moves, but his north/south running is great. A great combination of speed and power.

3. Balance. Watch his balance as he breaks tackles. He always falls forward, never backward.

Enjoy.

http://64.237.99.126/oldclips/2008BA037.wmv

Here is a clip showing Tre Newton. It ONLY includes the first FOUR games of the 2006 season. I can't wait for a true highlight reel on him.

Here are the reasons why I'm so high on Newton:

1. He is very young. He was 16 or just turning 17 when the clips were shot. In the day of 19 and 20 year-old high school players, Tre Newton is very young. As he matures he will continue to get better. Lot's of upside potential.

2. He has good size. He is 6'1" and around 190-195 lbs. I'd guess he will be 200 lbs or more his senior year. He matches up well with the linebackers he hits. He doesn't have great lateral moves, but his north/south running is great. A great combination of speed and power.

3. Balance. Watch his balance as he breaks tackles. He always falls forward, never backward.

Enjoy.

http://64.237.99.126/oldclips/2008BA037.wmv

Darius was I think 16 in most of those clips of him...not too shocked. Also, he seems to be a little taller and he is nowhere near Darius when it comes to speed and agility although their styles or running are very similar.

Is the QB in the film returning for Carroll? He seems to be very poised and calm in the pocket. SLCDad let me know if you have a link on some film of him

Is the QB in the film returning for Carroll? He seems to be very poised and calm in the pocket. SLCDad let me know if you have a link on some film of him

The QB is Riley Dodge. He is a Junior and will return next year. He is the son of former SLC head coach Todd Dodge. He was MaxPreps National Player of the Year this past season. He was also Texas 5A Offensive Player of The Year. He passed for around 4,300 yards and ran for over 1,000 yards with 67 TDs in 2006. He has verbally committed to University of Texas.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Content/Article.mxp/ArticleID-51ca4ee2-6362-4c1f-a09a-edbb5b81066d

Here is a clip showing Riley. This clip was compiled using only the first four games of the the 2006 season. These were the first four games that Riley had ever played as a starting QB. (Lot's of highlights for ony 4 games.)

SLC has NINE offensive starters returning for 2007. I can't wait.

http://64.237.99.126/oldclips/2008BA035.wmv

Last edited:
Darius was I think 16 in most of those clips of him...not too shocked. Also, he seems to be a little taller and he is nowhere near Darius when it comes to speed and agility although their styles or running are very similar.

Darius Ashley is 5'9". Tre Newton is 6'1".

It's really, really early, but Scout.com ranks Darius #33. Tre is #10.

Tre has been the starting RB for two state championship teams and two national championship teams. USAToday lists Tre Newton as one of the Top 10 Players to Watch for 2007.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2006-12-26-top-juniors_x.htm

Darius Ashley is 5'9". Tre Newton is 6'1".

It's really, really early, but Scout.com ranks Darius #33. Tre is #10.

Tre has been the starting RB for two state championship teams and two national championship teams. USAToday lists Tre Newton as one of the Top 10 Players to Watch for 2007.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2006-12-26-top-juniors_x.htm

Let's agree that they are both fine running backs who have shined against the best-of-the-best competition wise.

Ashley is rated as the best all purpose back for 2008 by Max Emfinger and he also gave him his highest overall ranking possible for a recruit. Emfinger is usually pretty objective and rates players he personally sees. He was very high on Darius after he outperformed Lakeland's All-American RB Chris Rainey as a junior. Darius was a Student Sports underclass All-American, High School football The Magazine has him tagged as a top 25 prospect in the nation for 2008, and he also has been in Sports Illustrated a few times, much like Newton.
Scout.com is probably the worst ranking site IMO. They always have very dated material and miss the boat on alot of players. Ashley already has offers from the likes of ; Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, Illinois, Mich St..... with many more to come. Both theses guys will make some college very happy.

Let's agree that they are both fine running backs who have shined against the best-of-the-best competition wise.

Ashley is rated as the best all purpose back for 2008 by Max Emfinger and he also gave him his highest overall ranking possible for a recruit. Emfinger is usually pretty objective and rates players he personally sees. He was very high on Darius after he outperformed Lakeland's All-American RB Chris Rainey as a junior. Darius was a Student Sports underclass All-American, High School football The Magazine has him tagged as a top 25 prospect in the nation for 2008, and he also has been in Sports Illustrated a few times, much like Newton.
Scout.com is probably the worst ranking site IMO. They always have very dated material and miss the boat on alot of players. Ashley already has offers from the likes of ; Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, Illinois, Mich St..... with many more to come. Both theses guys will make some college very happy.

I agree completely. Scout.com really hasn't added anything on the 2008 prospects. Their rankings focus on the guys graduating this year.

FYI, Newton verbally committed to the University of Texas. He had offers from all of the big Texas schools and from Notre Dame (and others no doubt).