MNW - Most Stacked Team in The Nation

SLCDad

Miami Northwestern may be the most stacked team in the nation in 2007. They have 15 starters returning from their 2006 6A state title team. Most of those players received all-state or all-Miami-Dade county recognition last year.

MNW has 3 players in the national top 100.
WR, Aldarius Johnson, 6-3, 195 lbs, 10th Ranked WR in the nation
OG, Branden Washington, 6-4, 314 lbs, 6th ranked OG in the nation
DT, Marcus Forston, 6-3, 305 lbs, 5th ranked DT in the nation

MNW also got that very highly rated lineman who transferred from Edision. Don't know about him.

No other team has three players ranked this high nationally.

Miami Northwestern may be the most stacked team in the nation in 2007. They have 15 starters returning from their 2006 6A state title team. Most of those players received all-state or all-Miami-Dade county recognition last year.

MNW has 3 players in the national top 100.
WR, Aldarius Johnson, 6-3, 195 lbs, 10th Ranked WR in the nation
OG, Branden Washington, 6-4, 314 lbs, 6th ranked OG in the nation
DT, Marcus Forston, 6-3, 305 lbs, 5th ranked DT in the nation

MNW also got that very highly rated lineman who transferred from Edision. Don't know about him.

No other team has three players ranked this high nationally.

of course LB POLY in 2001 had SIX of the top 125 players and 5 of the top 100 and were ranked #1 in the nation

DLS creamed them 29-15

PS Why another thread on MNW????????????

going for a baker's dozen???

Posting seven shutouts in a row is impressive and then winning eight out of their last nine on the road tells me they travel well.

SLC may be in for a battle.

Posting seven shutouts in a row is impressive and then winning eight out of their last nine on the road tells me they travel well.

SLC may be in for a battle.

Thats where you are wrong. There is no may. Slc is in for the toughest game they have played in years.

Rivals lists 2 in top 100 in no particular order. Washington is not on the list. But two players is very impressive.

Thats where you are wrong. There is no may. Slc is in for the toughest game they have played in years.

You could be right. MNW will be fantastic. I'm not worried about the SLC offense. They will be terrific. In fact, MNW could be facing the best offense they have ever seen. It's the SLC defense that is the huge unknown. SLC just hired a defensive coordinator last week and they have to replace 9 starters on defense. SLC has reloaded in the past (in 2006 they replaced 10 offensive starters and won the national title) but obviously it's not automatic.

With regard to MNW their strength of schedule may be weak. Both national rating organizations (Massey and Freeman) say that MNW's schedule was not very strong. If Massey and Freeman are correct, MNW's streak my not be as impressive at it appears in the surface. Obviously these are subjective ratings but when both rating groups come to the same conclusion they may be right.

Comments? What do you think?

Most of the inner city teams in Texas are poor. They often have great athletes but just don't have the discipline and coaching to be great teams. I'm not saying MNW is this way, but I'm wondering if this might apply to some of the teams they play?

How did MNW's schedule compare to the other top Florida teams?

Is there a Florida source for strength of schedule? or a local Florida ranking so we can evaulate MNW's schedule using local sources?

Last edited:
Go to fhsaa.org and start playing around.

You can pull up a team's schedule and results, and then click on any opponent and be linked to their schedule and results.

It doesn't list strength of schedule and that sort of thing, but it's still very informative.

I'm sure you'll be on it all day.

I know I had fun with it.

Go to fhsaa.org and start playing around.

You can pull up a team's schedule and results, and then click on any opponent and be linked to their schedule and results.

It doesn't list strength of schedule and that sort of thing, but it's still very informative.

I'm sure you'll be on it all day.

I know I had fun with it.

Here are the teams that MNW played with the Freeman computer model national rankings of each team and the score of each game. The opponent's combined record (excluding their losses to MNW) is 105-52 or a 67% winning percentage against the other teams they played. By comparison, SLC's opponents had a 122-54 record or a 69% winning percentage against teams other than SLC.

WINS: #388 Lake Brantley (Altamonte Springs, FL) (34-14), #566 North Miami Beach (FL) (42-20), #699 Central (Miami, FL) (41-0), #699 Central (Miami, FL) (39-12), #1381 Homestead (FL) (46-10), #1526 Columbus (Miami, FL) (42-0), #1526 Columbus (Miami, FL) (48-11), #1694 Jackson (Miami, FL) (41-0), #2176 Edison (Miami, FL) (40-8), #2304 Killian (Miami, FL) (34-20), #2879 Hialeah (FL) (51-0), #3092 Carol City (Miami, FL) (50-13), #4235 American (Hialeah, FL) (41-0), #7034 Hialeah-Miami Lakes (Hialeah, FL) (54-0), #10803 Goleman (Miami, FL) (47-0), LOSSES: none

SLC competed last week in it's district track meet. They won the district by a large margin. However, SLC is NOT a major "track" school. They aren't even on the list of top track teams in the DFW area.

However, there is a general perception that Miami-Dade County (and Florida in general) is loaded with athletes and lots of speed.

Here are a couple of posts that I lifted from a Texas board:

From Texasfrog:
"Ya, did you see my other post in the other thread? Looks like Derek Tomlin [SLC linebacker] would of probably been a medal winner [2nd place] in the Miami-Dade Co. 100M.

It also looks like the SLC 4X100M relay team would of lost by about 1 second to the MNW 4X100M relay team. That's what about 2 feet faster as a 4 man team. Looks like MNW is just so so so so much faster than anything SLC has ever seen before.

It also looks like Tre Newton would of finished about 5th in the Miami-Dade 200M. Not bad when you consider it's pretty much the 10 fastest students in the whole Miami-Dade region."

From Bleedgreen:
"If Trey had ran the open 100 he would have been in the top three. He was in class during the 100 prelims. He is trying to graduate early."

It was also noted in another thread that the Florida state champion relay teams (4x100 and 4x200) would have barely made the top 10 in Texas last year.

The point of this post is to put the "Florida has speed and athletes" argument into perspective. There is plenty of speed in Texas. SLC faces plenty of speed on the football field often.

Let's not forget that Frog is full of organic fertilizer too.

Comparing track times is a dodgy area. Different surfaces, wind, weather (esp temps), competitors etc. For example, I know that Cleveland Glenville faced the fastest 4x100 team in Texas 3 years ago or so (Lancaster, they were one of the fastest ever from Texas). If you went by their times going into the national meet where they faced off, then Lancaster should have beaten G'ville handily. In fact, G'ville beat them and I believe G'ville's 'B' team came in 3rd and only about one second behind Lancaster.

Doubting the speed of Texas teams is silly. But what Frog attempts to show is a huge stretch. I'd also add that in terms of expected speed going in, Lakeland should have run circles around St. X at the Herbie last year. In fact, the only team that showed the speed to do so in '06 was Colerain.

Oh, and as regards the one second = 2 feet comment from Frog, somehow I'm thinking that a hs track sprinter going full bore covers a helluva lot more than 2 feet in a second (even 8 if you allow 2 feet per man). These guys are covering 100 meters each in 10-something seconds each. A one-second difference at the finish is more like 30-odd feet.

Concha, I don't disagree with you at all. That wasn't the point of my post. Note my closing statement: "The point of this post is to put the "Florida has speed and athletes" argument into perspective. There is plenty of speed in Texas. SLC faces plenty of speed on the football field often." That was the point of my post which you seem to agree with.

Frankly, I was most impressed with the 100M time posted by a SLC linebacker.

I also noted his "2 feet" comment but I didn't want to edit his quote. A 200M sprinter is covering 20-30 feet in one second at the finish line. I agree with you.