Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 01-09-13, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Bob, Greg, and Mike Golic

So for those of you that saw these guys play in high school.... just how good were they at the high school level?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 11:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBear59 View Post
So for those of you that saw these guys play in high school.... just how good were they at the high school level?
Um, good.
Old 01-09-13, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

I only saw Mike and he was damn good!
Old 01-09-13, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Bob by far and away was the best. He dominated games. Mike was the best athlete and that, combined with his size, helped him in H.S. I felt that Bob had the best overall career (HS, college & Pro) while Mike was actually a better pro then he was at the other levels. Both were outstanding wrestlers. Greg had size but was not the athlete the other two were.
Old 01-09-13, 01:08 PM
All American

Some long-time observers say that Bob was one of the top 5 wrestlers in Ohio high school history.
Old 01-09-13, 02:59 PM
All Ohio

I played against Mike all four years and covered him while he played TE from my SS position. He was a good athlete, not exceptional.

He played an option QB as a sophomore and ILB on defense that same year and then transitioned to TE and ILB his junior and senior campaigns. Much better defensively and ND transitioned him to a down linemen in college... he had suspect foot speed at the HS level and definitely did not have the speed to play LB in college.

He was drafted by the old Houston Oilers as a DL and then had some very productive years at Philadelphia.

Bob was the better athlete of all three Golic's and was an exceptional wrestler in HS. The heavyweight matches with Cousineau were legendary. A tremendous amount of action (i.e. body slams, throws, etc.) for scores resulting in 3-2 and 2-1 contests.

St. Joseph HS produced some fine athletes over the years and the Golic's are certainly amongst their finest.
Old 01-09-13, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

Bob Golic had a very large national profile when he played middle linebacker for Notre Dame. There was major publicity for a Golic/Earl Campbell showdown in the 1978 Cotton Bowl, won by ND, vaulting them to the national title.

Bob Golic was a great kid in high school, lots of fun, friend to jock and nerd alike (and everything in between).

Here is a video of Golic's 1975 state wrestling victory over defending state champ and undefeated Harold Smith. Tom Cousineau was also in this group of heavys, described by Brian Brakeman as the best heavyweight group in the history of Ohio high school wrestling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gw56KWmCgo
Old 01-09-13, 07:04 PM
All District

Awesome video! Those Joe's wrestling teams were coached by one of the best ever. If you get a chance to hear Bob or Mike speak about their coach, John Storey, it is worth the price of admission.
Old 01-09-13, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
I played against Mike all four years and covered him while he played TE from my SS position. He was a good athlete, not exceptional.

He played an option QB as a sophomore and ILB on defense that same year and then transitioned to TE and ILB his junior and senior campaigns. Much better defensively and ND transitioned him to a down linemen in college... he had suspect foot speed at the HS level and definitely did not have the speed to play LB in college.

He was drafted by the old Houston Oilers as a DL and then had some very productive years at Philadelphia.

Bob was the better athlete of all three Golic's and was an exceptional wrestler in HS. The heavyweight matches with Cousineau were legendary. A tremendous amount of action (i.e. body slams, throws, etc.) for scores resulting in 3-2 and 2-1 contests.

St. Joseph HS produced some fine athletes over the years and the Golic's are certainly amongst their finest.
A few other St Joe Grads: Desmond Howard*(Heisman), Elvis Grbac, All Pro, now Ignatius coach, Clark Kellogg NBA
Old 01-09-13, 08:09 PM
All American

So, the Golic brothers and Sullivan brothers walk into the same bar...
Old 01-09-13, 08:41 PM
All Region

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
And I can garandamntee you a fight would break out in that bar ;-)

I am around same age as Mike and I remember them being more well known for wrestling than football.
And Cousineau? Unreal. Smh

This thread is making me think of Howard Fergusan. I remember getting his book "The Edge" as a gift in college. I need to bust that out for my kids.
Old 01-09-13, 08:49 PM
All American

CatAlum, good of you to post that video!

Now looking for the '77 heavy final.
Old 01-09-13, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
THAT comparison is not at all fair to the Golic brothers. A half hour later, they'd be friends with everyone in the bar.
Old 01-10-13, 07:50 AM
All American

I think Mike's abuse of steroids also contributed to him being the best of them
Old 01-10-13, 08:04 AM
Proud Soldier's Dad

After watching the Bob Golic state champ match, I'd have liked to see him against Luke Fikkel. Fikkel was so strong and aggressive, that would have been a great match.
Old 01-10-13, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
I think Mike's abuse of steroids also contributed to him being the best of them
Mike wasn't the best of them. Bob was the most accomplished.
Old 01-10-13, 09:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
Mike wasn't the best of them. Bob was the most accomplished.
Weeks ago on another thread, I read a comment that basically said "What does wrestling have to do with success at football ?" If one looks at Bob's success as an interior D-lineman with his size, I think it would be hard to find a better example of wrestling benefiting football. Not so sure about the mullet......
Old 01-10-13, 02:57 PM
All American

Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
It's a HWT match and their weights are 240 and 218. Unreal how things have changed. Hard to imagine anyone in wrestling today making the HWT state finals weighing only 218.
Old 01-11-13, 12:40 AM
All Yappi

There's a 215/220 weight class now, has been since the mid-90s. Back then, it went from like 185 to HVY (may have even been unlimited back then).
Old 01-12-13, 07:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Weeks ago on another thread, I read a comment that basically said "What does wrestling have to do with success at football ?" If one looks at Bob's success as an interior D-lineman with his size, I think it would be hard to find a better example of wrestling benefiting football. Not so sure about the mullet......
Bob has said that wrestling was where he learned toughness and perseverance, not football.
Old 01-12-13, 10:08 AM
All World

Enjoy Bob on the radio, don't know that much about Greg, Mike has turned into an east coast biased ESPN weenie.
Old 01-12-13, 12:17 PM
All Region

Nothing about Mike Golic's body screamed steroids IMO.
Old 01-12-13, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Nothing about Mike Golic's body screamed steroids IMO.
I think the steroid talk relates to Mike's admission on his radio show that he briefly took steroids while in the NFL to recover from an injury.
Old 01-12-13, 05:03 PM
All Region

Ok. I didn't know that.
Old 01-12-13, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Enjoy Bob on the radio, don't know that much about Greg, Mike has turned into an east coast biased ESPN weenie.
Bob is a right wing wacko on the radio. He should stick to what he knows...football. I wonder if he learned anything at ND.
Old 01-12-13, 05:42 PM
Proud Soldier's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Viking View Post
Bob is a right wing wacko on the radio. He should stick to what he knows...football. I wonder if he learned anything at ND.
That's a matter of opinion. Some consider Bob Golic one of the most informed straight talking radio announcers in Akron. He's no Howie Chisek (loved that guy), but I really do enjoy listening to Bob.
Old 01-12-13, 05:43 PM
Proud Soldier's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
There's a 215/220 weight class now, has been since the mid-90s. Back then, it went from like 185 to HVY (may have even been unlimited back then).
That would be correct. The weight class before heavy weight was 185 (I wrestled that), and from that weight on up it was unlimited. Which when you think about, covers a pretty darn big span of weights.
Old 01-12-13, 06:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNT-UNION82 View Post
That would be correct. The weight class before heavy weight was 185 (I wrestled that), and from that weight on up it was unlimited. Which when you think about, covers a pretty darn big span of weights.
Yeah, I wrestled HWT back then. My weight was 225 to 230 and I wrestled guys as low as the high 180's all the way up to 350 pound beasts. You needed a full array of moves to wrestle HWT at that time. I always found it easier to wrestle the bigger guys. They didn't move too much.
Old 01-12-13, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNT-UNION82 View Post
That's a matter of opinion. Some consider Bob Golic one of the most informed straight talking radio announcers in Akron. He's no Howie Chisek (loved that guy), but I really do enjoy listening to Bob.
He isn't Howie for sure. He isn't as good of an entertainer or as moderate (and Howie wasn't really moderate, but more than Bob). I wouldn't call him well informed and he certainly isn't well read. I don't listen to him anymore, but I have been amazed in the past by how little he knows about American history.
Old 01-12-13, 09:45 PM
All Ohio

[quote=M2M;5353789]Bob has said that wrestling was where he learned toughness and perseverance, not football.[/

wrestling doesn't make you a better football player. You either have the skills or you don't. Wrestlers have to love wrestling. Lineman; damn good ones, have to love football. If you have a guy that loves both, you have a good player in both sports.

Wrestling helps way more if you get in a bar fight than in High School for football.