Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 10-22-12, 11:26 PM
Varsity

N.Royalton VS Hudson.....

This is a huge game for hudson....win and their in? thoughts on the game....
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 06:53 AM
All Region

This is a very big game for both teams, but you're right, perhaps even bigger for Hudson. For Hudson, it's a playoff game. Lose, and they're out of the playoff picture (assuming an Elyria win) AND NR wins the division outright. Win, and they get a share of the division crown AND a playoff spot. A win for Royalton also gets them a home playoff game; a loss and they're on the road.

Royalton has 6 wins over quality opponents and 3 gimmes. In the former 6 wins, Royalton hasn't dominated but, instead, has played just well enough to win. They seem like a team of destiny getting timely big plays and breaks. If Royalton stops shooting itself in the foot with false starts and poor kick and punt coverage and continues to come up with big plays on defense when needed, I think they'll win.

But, I think Hudson will be right there the whole game just like Brecksville, Highland, Solon, Mayfield, Elyria, and Falls that Royalton beat in squeakers.
Old 10-23-12, 10:49 AM
All World

I'm curious what happened to Hudson last week in its loss to Elyria. Not a lot of posters on here from Hudson, so it's hard to tell. I thought the game would have been a lot closer than the final score indicated.

I had a chance to see NR play at Stow last week. I haven't seen Hudson play this season at all. That said, while NR beat Stow handily, they didn't exactly blow the Bulldogs off the field. Hudson bombed Stow 28-0 in its matchup earlier this year, at Hudson. Not sure what that says about the matchup this week.

I think it depends which team shows up for both sides.
Old 10-23-12, 04:00 PM
All Ohio

All year I dissed Hudson, said they were overrated, said their whole team was based on Gedeon. I was convinced last week that they had more than just Gedeon and that they were for real. Picked them and they lost to Elyria.

Elyria did exactly what Brunswick did to beat Hudson. Hudson has a soph. QB, you need to get D-lineman in his face. Hudson has a great RB in Gedeon. To slow him down on Offense you need to run the ball right at him when he is on Defense, make sure you block him on every play! That makes his offense much less effective. Elyria had 2 running backs each go over 100 yards last week.

Royalton's defense is a bit suspect, they have given up a lot of points this year, but they have scored more than they have given up. They run the 5 wideout spread, and are very effective with it. The question in my mind, will they put enough pressure on Gedeon with their offense that it will make him ineffective on offense? Can they get enough pass rush on Guadagni?

I think Royalton is hungry for that 10 and 0 regular season and will win a close, high scoring game!

Good Luck and Good Health to all!
Old 10-23-12, 04:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozedad View Post
All year I dissed Hudson, said they were overrated, said their whole team was based on Gedeon. I was convinced last week that they had more than just Gedeon and that they were for real. Picked them and they lost to Elyria.

Elyria did exactly what Brunswick did to beat Hudson. Hudson has a soph. QB, you need to get D-lineman in his face. Hudson has a great RB in Gedeon. To slow him down on Offense you need to run the ball right at him when he is on Defense, make sure you block him on every play! That makes his offense much less effective. Elyria had 2 running backs each go over 100 yards last week.

Royalton's defense is a bit suspect, they have given up a lot of points this year, but they have scored more than they have given up. They run the 5 wideout spread, and are very effective with it. The question in my mind, will they put enough pressure on Gedeon with their offense that it will make him ineffective on offense? Can they get enough pass rush on Guadagni?

I think Royalton is hungry for that 10 and 0 regular season and will win a close, high scoring game!

Sound analysis Mooze. To your point about Gedeon, they don't run have very much (15 carries), as they're commited to pass and run the ball equally. The sophomore QB will become special, I believe, but the speed of Elyria was something he hadn't seen this year. They have talented receivers and are well coached. Brunswick beat Hudson by pounding the ball on the ground. The passed 5 times, none in the second half. They had 7 or 8 fourth down conversion opportunities and got them all except 1. While Elyria tried to pass and run in the first half against Hudson, they abandoned that strategy in the 2nd half, only passing once.

I don't know much about NR, outside of the QB, but they are obviously a very talented team! What's their run/pass ratio? Is the O-line big? Defensively they give up points, so a shoot-out is possible, but they know how to win close games.

I'll be a homer and take the Explorers in a squeaker, but wouldn't be shocked if they lose to an undefeated this late in the season. As R4D pointed out, both teams have alot to play for.
Old 10-23-12, 05:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
I'm curious what happened to Hudson last week in its loss to Elyria. Not a lot of posters on here from Hudson, so it's hard to tell. I thought the game would have been a lot closer than the final score indicated.

I had a chance to see NR play at Stow last week. I haven't seen Hudson play this season at all. That said, while NR beat Stow handily, they didn't exactly blow the Bulldogs off the field. Hudson bombed Stow 28-0 in its matchup earlier this year, at Hudson. Not sure what that says about the matchup this week.

I think it depends which team shows up for both sides.
It was 12-10 Elyria at halftime - 2 TD's and 2 missed conversions, to hudson's TD and FG. Hudson had an opportunity for a FG late on fourth and 4 but went for it and failed. Their FG kicker is very good and in all likelihood would have had the lead at half. Hudson went for an OS kick to start the second half, didn't get it and Elyria started from about the 50. Hudson couldn't stop the running game. Meanwhile, Elyria's speed and athleticism defensively was something Hudson hadn't seen this year. Elyria simplified their offense iin the 2nd half, and didn't make mistakes. While Hudson had success on the ground, they dropped passes, had an INT, a few sacks. Make no mistakes though, Elyria was the better team, especially in the second half. Based on the 62 - 55 score, it appears that neither NR nor Elyria could stop the other team! Anybody care to offer up a recipe to slow down the Bears?
Old 10-23-12, 05:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:

Sound analysis Mooze. To your point about Gedeon, they don't run have very much (15 carries), as they're commited to pass and run the ball equally. The sophomore QB will become special, I believe, but the speed of Elyria was something he hadn't seen this year. They have talented receivers and are well coached. Brunswick beat Hudson by pounding the ball on the ground. The passed 5 times, none in the second half. They had 7 or 8 fourth down conversion opportunities and got them all except 1. While Elyria tried to pass and run in the first half against Hudson, they abandoned that strategy in the 2nd half, only passing once.

I don't know much about NR, outside of the QB, but they are obviously a very talented team! What's their run/pass ratio? Is the O-line big? Defensively they give up points, so a shoot-out is possible, but they know how to win close games.

I'll be a homer and take the Explorers in a squeaker, but wouldn't be shocked if they lose to an undefeated this late in the season. As R4D pointed out, both teams have alot to play for.
Old 10-23-12, 05:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUGGLES View Post
This is a huge game for hudson....win and their in? thoughts on the game....
My kid's in the band, but I enjoy football more! I hear the coaches feel as if they didn't capitalize on opportunities against Elyria, and that cost them the game. l'm not so sure of that. Elyria was by far the best team hudson played this year. Brunswick was closer and could have gone either way. Plus they had two D-linemen out, and were full strength (I think) against Elyria. Either our defense is overrated, or Elyria's backs are pretty darn good. I hope it's the latter, as Hudson's first string defense gave up very few points this year. There would have been a couple more shutouts if the first stringers didn't come out. But that's obviously not the way to build the program and prepare younger players. Nobody has been successful throwing on the Explorers this year, and I have to think North Royalton will try? It seems like noone has been able to stop them through the air this year! Classic matchup, that's what I'm hoping for.
Old 10-23-12, 07:14 PM
All Ohio

NR should win by 2 tds. Hudson doesn't have enough weapons to keep up the scoring pace that the Bears play at. I will say 42 28 royalton.
Old 10-23-12, 07:20 PM
All Region

Good discussion. It's always amazing to me how easy it is to try and draw conclusions from prior games and then find yourself with no new knowledge. At first, I looked at Hudson as a clear favorite over my NR Bears - Hudson beat common opponents in Brecksville, Stow, Falls, and Mayfield by wider margins. No brainer, right? And, it was easy to overlook the close loss to perennial powerhouse Brunswick since NR beat a depleted Solon

I'm not sure what to make of Hudson's loss to Elyria, then, who NR beat in one of its many squeakers. Is Elyria on the rise? Hudson on the decline? Random off-night for Hudson?

My hunch is that Hudson hasn't faced as potent an offense, but NR hasn't faced as tough of a defense.

Looking forward to a great game.
Old 10-23-12, 07:34 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by summithoops View Post
It was 12-10 Elyria at halftime - 2 TD's and 2 missed conversions, to hudson's TD and FG. Hudson had an opportunity for a FG late on fourth and 4 but went for it and failed. Their FG kicker is very good and in all likelihood would have had the lead at half. Hudson went for an OS kick to start the second half, didn't get it and Elyria started from about the 50. Hudson couldn't stop the running game. Meanwhile, Elyria's speed and athleticism defensively was something Hudson hadn't seen this year. Elyria simplified their offense iin the 2nd half, and didn't make mistakes. While Hudson had success on the ground, they dropped passes, had an INT, a few sacks. Make no mistakes though, Elyria was the better team, especially in the second half. Based on the 62 - 55 score, it appears that neither NR nor Elyria could stop the other team! Anybody care to offer up a recipe to slow down the Bears?
Hudson led 10-6 at half.
Old 10-23-12, 09:11 PM
Varsity

Curious - how did NR score 62 against Elyria? Elyria's D-Line looked very strong against Hudson, and their DB's had pretty good coverage on Hudson's wide outs most of the game. Hudson did beat them deep once but WR dropped what would have been a 70 yd TD pass.

Granted, Hudson's lines (both O and D) are not very big. Power running teams have had their way (Brunswick and Elyria in 2nd half). Hudson has done a good job against most passing teams.

Interesting to watch how Gedeon will play in what could be his last game. He plays hard - but you gotta figure NR will be keying on him. He had almost 300 yards agains NR in the regular season finale last year. He had three long TD runs over 40 yards in that game- I think he only has one run over 40 yards this entire season.
Old 10-23-12, 09:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtrojan1 View Post
Curious - how did NR score 62 against Elyria?
One reason for the high score was the number of quick hit big plays. Elyria got 2 kick returns for TDs and a long (60 yard?) run. So, we had the ball a lot. Same as a lot of our other high scoring games - we just had the ball on the last possession of the game.

NR's offense is really well-balanced. QB can drop back and pass well-protected behind a big O-line. Two quick running backs can get outside, take swing passes, and run between the tackles. QB spreads his passes among 4 receivers, one of which will grab just about everything he puts up (unlike any Browns receivers). Plus the QB is a pretty good runner in the option himself. There's someone different doing the job every week.

If Hudson stops them, my hat will be off to them.

Our defense is vulnerable but opportunistic. They seem to come up with a big play at just the right time, even after having given up 40 or 50 points.
Old 10-23-12, 11:22 PM
Varsity

i think this will be a very good game. i understand that NR is lookin for an undefeated season, but i think hudson has way more to lose. win or lose NR is in wk 11.....hudson loses they are packin it up. im takin hudson in this one. BOL
Old 10-24-12, 08:00 AM
All American

Something tells me that Hudson is going to win this game. I can't give any sound reasoning, but I just have a gut feeling. Everything points to a NR win. The home field advantage, points, records and common opponents favor NR. I hope its a great game and nobody gets hurts. Good luck to both teams.
Old 10-24-12, 08:44 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by summithoops View Post
My kid's in the band, but I enjoy football more! I hear the coaches feel as if they didn't capitalize on opportunities against Elyria, and that cost them the game. l'm not so sure of that. Elyria was by far the best team hudson played this year. Brunswick was closer and could have gone either way. Plus they had two D-linemen out, and were full strength (I think) against Elyria. Either our defense is overrated, or Elyria's backs are pretty darn good. I hope it's the latter, as Hudson's first string defense gave up very few points this year. There would have been a couple more shutouts if the first stringers didn't come out. But that's obviously not the way to build the program and prepare younger players. Nobody has been successful throwing on the Explorers this year, and I have to think North Royalton will try? It seems like noone has been able to stop them through the air this year! Classic matchup, that's what I'm hoping for.
Elyria was much larger and much more physical in the trenches against Hudson. Hudson coaches need to figure out a way to get #19 the ball more. He's very fast and dangerous. Put Gedeon at FB and #19 at TB would be a great combination, too late in the season for that though.
Old 10-24-12, 08:53 AM
All District

Never two late to make Changes with personal as most Good team make adjustments each week to better there squad from one week to the next and Hudson staff is not bad so i would believe if they felt that would help there team it has been on the table.
Old 10-24-12, 09:02 AM
All Ohio

I think the difference between North Royalton and Hudson is the Senior QB Tarnowski. I think like Summithoops said, Guadagni is a special talent and will be a good one, but he is a soph. and if Hart doesn't get hurt in game 1, he is leading a kick %^& JV team for Hudson.

I do believe this game can go either way but chose NR based on the intangibles of a senior QB going for an undefeated regular season.
Old 10-24-12, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

Gotta go with Hudson in this one! Wanna see the EXPLORERS,explore NR weakness's......
Old 10-24-12, 10:34 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
Elyria was much larger and much more physical in the trenches against Hudson. Hudson coaches need to figure out a way to get #19 the ball more. He's very fast and dangerous. Put Gedeon at FB and #19 at TB would be a great combination, too late in the season for that though.
They do get the ball to him. The qb put a ball right in his hands, in stride, that was 6 if he hangs on. Unfortunately, he's a streaky receiver, but you are correct he's very fast and dangerous. He's a D-1 trackster, and a great kid. They run jet sweeps, bubble passes, etc. for him. Early in the season, everyone game-planned for him and Gedeon, and #20 had 5 TD's one HALF, and 4 TD's in another HALF!! Hudson has above average receivers and go about 4-5 deep.
Old 10-24-12, 11:18 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I think the difference between North Royalton and Hudson is the Senior QB Tarnowski. I think like Summithoops said, Guadagni is a special talent and will be a good one, but he is a soph. and if Hart doesn't get hurt in game 1, he is leading a kick %^& JV team for Hudson.

I do believe this game can go either way but chose NR based on the intangibles of a senior QB going for an undefeated regular season.
Agree - all things being equal I'd take the Senior over the Soph in a big game like this. Will be very interesting to see how Guadagni bounces back from the Elyria game. He had played extremely well all year and showed good decision-making and accuracy. I think he had only thrown 3 picks thru the first 8 games, but had two in the 1st half last week (and a couple others that were dropped by Elyria or overturned by penalties).

Not sure if the coaching staff did him any favors (hardly any screen passes to slow down the pass rush, and did not roll him out). He is a very good runner.

Hudson was succesful using Gedeon as a spy on the QB from Mayfield (and to some extent on Tupa from B-BH) - would like to see him turned loose to blitz more. N-R must have a good OL, so Hudson might have trouble getting pressure on him.
Old 10-24-12, 08:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUGGLES View Post
i think this will be a very good game. i understand that NR is lookin for an undefeated season, but i think hudson has way more to lose. win or lose NR is in wk 11.....hudson loses they are packin it up. im takin hudson in this one. BOL
It's a shame that if Royalton wins they would probably play the loser of Ed's / Ignatius in the playoffs first round, if they lose it looks like they get Mentor. That will be a tough, tough match-up for Royalton. If Hudson wins they probably will be the 8th seed and get Massilon. Good luck to both schools this week, here's to a great game.
Old 10-24-12, 09:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
It's a shame that if Royalton wins they would probably play the loser of Ed's / Ignatius in the playoffs first round, if they lose it looks like they get Mentor. That will be a tough, tough match-up for Royalton. If Hudson wins they probably will be the 8th seed and get Massilon. Good luck to both schools this week, here's to a great game.
No, if NR wins they most likely would be the #3 seed, and play Warren Harding.
Old 10-24-12, 09:10 PM
All District

I believe the Explorers will win because they have a better defense. North Roylaton gives up too many points. They gave up 21 to Stow last week. Hudson dominated Stow two weeks earlier and shut them out.

The team with the better defense usually wins games like this.
Old 10-24-12, 09:36 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor14 View Post
I believe the Explorers will win because they have a better defense. North Roylaton gives up too many points. They gave up 21 to Stow last week. Hudson dominated Stow two weeks earlier and shut them out.

The team with the better defense usually wins games like this.
Stats back-up your claim on the "better defense". Five common oponents (Brecksville, Elyria, Mayfield, Falls, Stow):

NR Defense allowed 35 points per game in those five games.
Hudson Defense allowed just under 18 points per game.

Here's the offense averages for the same five common oponents:

NR 44
Hud 35

I'll go HUD 35 - NR 27 . . . special teams TD decides it
Old 10-24-12, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

NR put up 60+ points on Elyria. Hudson was fortunate to get 16 against Elyria. I like NR in this game, but Hudson is certainly good enough to win it.
Old 10-25-12, 06:35 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
NR put up 60+ points on Elyria. Hudson was fortunate to get 16 against Elyria. I like NR in this game, but Hudson is certainly good enough to win it.

Elyria "put up" 55 points on NR and only 26 on Hudson.

Again, the best defense usually wins games like this.
Old 10-25-12, 06:46 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor14 View Post
Elyria "put up" 55 points on NR and only 26 on Hudson.

Again, the best defense usually wins games like this.
NR put up 7 more than Elyria and won; Hudson put up 10 fewer and lost.

NR 34, Hudson 28

Last edited by raising4daughters : 10-25-12 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-12, 08:41 AM
All World

I don't know what to think.
I'll go with my heart and say Hudson in a nailbiter.
NR's got a nice program, though, and I wish them well in the postseason.
Old 10-25-12, 08:44 AM
All Region

Josh Cribbs to be in attendance too

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
I don't know what to think.
I'll go with my heart and say Hudson in a nailbiter.
NR's got a nice program, though, and I wish them well in the postseason.
Well said....neither team is a clear favorite, both are solid teams, and we should see a great game.

The NR students did a twitter barrage to get get NR resident Josh Cribbs to commit to attending, and he's bringing Joe Haden.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...football-game/