Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-22-17, 09:16 PM
Freshman

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Had a conversation with an old friend that has a son that plays a for a high level club team and plays for high school. She said that the highest level club teams are trying to persuade players to not play high school soccer and thereby be able to participate in national level tourneys. Do you think that this will really and what will be the fall out in high school soccer?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-17, 10:25 AM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Had a conversation with an old friend that has a son that plays a for a high level club team and plays for high school. She said that the highest level club teams are trying to persuade players to not play high school soccer and thereby be able to participate in national level tourneys. Do you think that this will really and what will be the fall out in high school soccer?
The answer depends on your definition of "highest level club" DA clubs already can't play high school soccer. And truth be told you hardly notice. The clubs we have around southern Ohio will never get the participation they need to affect high school much either.

If you're not playing DA, play high school. The clubs don't need more of your money, nor do they actually deserve it.
Old 05-31-17, 08:02 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2731 View Post
The answer depends on your definition of "highest level club" DA clubs already can't play high school soccer. And truth be told you hardly notice. The clubs we have around southern Ohio will never get the participation they need to affect high school much either.

If you're not playing DA, play high school. The clubs don't need more of your money, nor do they actually deserve it.
Hardly notice what? There's never been a DA in Southern Ohio. So what are you basing this statement on?
Old 05-31-17, 10:37 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Hardly notice what? There's never been a DA in Southern Ohio. So what are you basing this statement on?
5 to 6 high school players per year go to Columbus Crew from this area. If you are unaware then see my point.

It's basically 6 schools a year that are missing talent. And you don't notice it. If the DA were local players wouldn't all come from one school, it would have a wide draw. It would be 10 to 12 schools (maybe more) missing talent.

I'm saying it's hardly a dent.
Old 05-31-17, 05:06 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
5 to 6 high school players per year go to Columbus Crew from this area. If you are unaware then see my point.

It's basically 6 schools a year that are missing talent. And you don't notice it. If the DA were local players wouldn't all come from one school, it would have a wide draw. It would be 10 to 12 schools (maybe more) missing talent.

I'm saying it's hardly a dent.
10 to 12 schools, or 10 to 12 players? Four age groups amounts to around 80 kids. Lets be very generous and say only 50% of those kids are local. That's 40 players in the area not playing for their high school. On its face, 40 players isn't much, but it's 40 of the top players. And before you get all uppity and think I'm trying to say the new DA will devastate high school soccer, pump your brakes. I'm not arguing that at all. The boys DA has been around for many years now and it hasnt made high school soccer around the country irrelevant. But to think it won't have any impact I think is purposely naive at the very least.
Old 06-01-17, 08:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
10 to 12 schools, or 10 to 12 players? Four age groups amounts to around 80 kids. Lets be very generous and say only 50% of those kids are local. That's 40 players in the area not playing for their high school. On its face, 40 players isn't much, but it's 40 of the top players. And before you get all uppity and think I'm trying to say the new DA will devastate high school soccer, pump your brakes. I'm not arguing that at all. The boys DA has been around for many years now and it hasnt made high school soccer around the country irrelevant. But to think it won't have any impact I think is purposely naive at the very least.
Brakes pumped. DA isn't even high school age here yet. And only time will tell if that organization can actually grow into a full DA. Or how many players they are goning to send on to older DA teams. However if kids are already willing to drive to Columbus at high school age, how far do you think they come from to play cinci DA? 40 players from many schools.... I meant 10 to 12 schools... but that number could be many more. I doubt there are 4 DA caliber players at any given high school in the area.

Brakes pumped again... yup they work.
Old 06-03-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
In Northeast Ohio, a large number of public middle schools (mostly in the eastern suburbs of Cuyahoga County, Lake County, and northern Summit County) have boys, girls, and/or coed teams.

Off of the top of my head, they include: Roxboro (Cleveland Heights), Monticello (Cleveland Heights), Heritage (Painesville), Wickliffe, Perry, Kirtland, Beachwood, Brady (Orange), Shaker Heights, Solon, Memorial (South Euclid-Lyndhurst), Bedford, Garfield Heights, Kenston, Ravenna, Southeast, Hudson, Woodridge, Cuyahoga Falls, Stanton (Kent), Streetsboro.

Some private schools also have teams at the middle school level, including: Hawken, University School, Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy, and Lutheran West.
Old 06-03-17, 02:33 PM
All District

simkon is on a distinguished road
Some places in the Youngstown area had club teams limited to players living in certain areas. For instance Poland players were limited to Poland Township and Canfield players were limited to the city of Canfield, Canfield Township, and a few other rural areas bordering Canfield Township. So a lot of the Mahoning and Trumbull County schools actually have club teams assembled that consist exclusively of kids within their school district but the teams are not affiliated with the schools in an official capacity though.
So it would theoretically be feasible to convert some of these teams to having an official junior high affiliation, though schools would multiple junior highs/middle schools would likely only have one team between them.
The problem would be that in Youngstown proper and other less affluent areas it would be difficult to get teams together, difficult for the schools to afford to pay for the associated expenses, and more or less present difficulties in all areas.
Old 06-07-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Some places in the Youngstown area had club teams limited to players living in certain areas. For instance Poland players were limited to Poland Township and Canfield players were limited to the city of Canfield, Canfield Township, and a few other rural areas bordering Canfield Township. So a lot of the Mahoning and Trumbull County schools actually have club teams assembled that consist exclusively of kids within their school district but the teams are not affiliated with the schools in an official capacity though.
So it would theoretically be feasible to convert some of these teams to having an official junior high affiliation, though schools would multiple junior highs/middle schools would likely only have one team between them.
The problem would be that in Youngstown proper and other less affluent areas it would be difficult to get teams together, difficult for the schools to afford to pay for the associated expenses, and more or less present difficulties in all areas.
Those teams play in the YAYSL and are composed mainly of kids that play for larger clubs like TCSC, SVA, TC United and some others. That's where they get the majority of their instruction. For many of the kids, playing on those YAYSL teams is a part time thing. Given the choice, they are missing YAYSL games for club games.

Like you said, if schools get involved it will be a mess.

There is a pretty large disconnect around here between school soccer and club soccer. Those communities that have figured that relationship out are the ones that are thriving.
Old 07-06-17, 12:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Medina smoke is on a distinguished road
Da is only way to go, sure some with out it will succeed ,but majority of school soccer is horrible including the state champs. The worst da team would wipe them off the pitch
Old 07-06-17, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina smoke View Post
Da is only way to go, sure some with out it will succeed ,but majority of school soccer is horrible including the state champs. The worst da team would wipe them off the pitch
I hear that more and more and from what I've seen I believe it more and more.
Old 07-07-17, 05:59 AM
Freshman

soccerbird is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Brakes pumped. DA isn't even high school age here yet. And only time will tell if that organization can actually grow into a full DA. Or how many players they are goning to send on to older DA teams. However if kids are already willing to drive to Columbus at high school age, how far do you think they come from to play cinci DA? 40 players from many schools.... I meant 10 to 12 schools... but that number could be many more. I doubt there are 4 DA caliber players at any given high school in the area.

Brakes pumped again... yup they work.
Lakota East would have had 3 players this year that are going to play for the Crew. In two years, if those players continue to play at the same level then Lakota East would be talked about as one of if not the best team in Cincy and the State.

Missing out on 2 or 3 players does make a difference. A class can go from being very special to good without those players. Look at what Mason did twice when they had two special players in a class surrounded by quality club players.
Old 07-07-17, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina smoke View Post
Spare the arrogance please.

Just from a simple "player pool" standpoint, any "DA" team should be better than a high school team. If that's not the case, then the "DA" team is the one with the problem.

High school soccer has its place just as the DA/MRL has its place. Not everyone is going to be a professional player or a D1 college prospect, everyone should have the opportunity to participate in soccer to the extent they can/choose and enjoy the experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: