Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-16, 01:10 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Ah...'67; my driving year.

10. Folks may have deferred on this one for me. Let it ride.

I like the quirky ones and there are a few:

2. John Fred's Playboy Band

8. Seeds

9. Sopwith Camel

I'm good for 6 more but that won't last.

(Did anyone else see the college kid singing and playign with Springsteen? Great stuff. Looking forward to Bruce's autobiography this fall.)
Bevo,

10. You are indeed a gentleman to pass up #10, but I'll bet it's a bluff, admit it, the song stumped you, right, lol. I really think the group did defer to you on this one. We shall see, but I don't anticipate I will have to give the answer in two days.

2, (actually it is #3) but "Judy In Disguise" is a quirky little tune by John Fred & His Playboy Band. John Fred ( full name John Fred Gourrier) as OWK mentions in his post, and I'll get to him later, John was a very good athlete and had a basketball scholarship to Southern Louisiana. In researching him I found references that he attended, Southeastern Louisiana and LSU also, so I'm not exactly clear what college(s) he attended in Louisiana ! I do know that he came from a good gene pool since his father was Fred Gourrier, who played third base for the Detroit Tigers. According to John, the 1st time he heard :" Sgt Peppers LHCB' and "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" he thought they were singing " disguise" instead of "in the sky", he thought how clever those Beatles were and then saw on the album it was "in the sky" and not "in disguise". The sight of hundreds of girls wearing sunglasses on the beach gave John the idea for the bass line he had in his head and he came up with " Beverly In Disguise with Glasses". . .then a bra commercial on TV " cross your heart with your living bra" was his final inspiration and the band decided on switching "Beverly" for "Judy" they threw the whole parody together and released the record and within 2 weeks calls from everywhere wanted the band on TV and wanted them for appearances and the real irony happened a couple of months later when the song went to Number 1 nationally and knocked a Beatles song, "Hello, Goodbye" out of the number 1 slot, who would have thunk it as they say. Most people thought the band was a new band but they had been together since 1956. John had dropped out of singing from 1960 -1964 while he attended college, but then got back into music right after college. At one time his band was called the Playboys but due to the success of Gary Lewis & The Playboys he changed the name to John Fred & His Playboy Band to avoid confusion.

8. "Pushin' Too Hard" - The Seeds is correct. Once again another California garage band hits the big time. The leader of the band was Sky Saxon. After The Seeds broke up, imagine that a garage band that breaks up after one hit record, Sky Saxon tried several comebacks fronting different bands but never really made it big again. I recall an article in Rolling Stone about 30 years ago where a reporter tracked him down living in Hawaii and he claimed he was living with his two common law wives with 5 children and prayed to dogs since he explained that God is dog spelled backwards. I believe he died several years ago.

9. "Hello, Hello"- Sopwith Camel. Not to be confused with the Beatles #1 song of the same year, "Hello Goodbye". I honestly thought this song would go unanswered, but you sure proved me wrong ! Here is everything I know about Sopwith Camel. . .They were a 5 piece band from San Francisco that took" Hello, Hello" to number #26 on the Top 40 and the band was named after a WWI bi-plane. I recall the song as being kind of folksy and harmless and that is everything I know about the group or song.

JB
Old 09-15-16, 01:42 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Oh, I'll go after 10, if no one else grabs it...just not yet.

Everett Dirkson: "A billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money!"

While we have a lull, a couple of quick comments... .

I remember the "Hello, Hello" song well. So very of the time. Yes, a very mild and pleasant song; sounds like a song by "The Turtles". I think it had this line in it: "I get high just a thinkin' about you."

I had the 45 of "Pushin' Too Hard". I believe I may have "borrowed" it from the Hill bros. Throw this in with No. 10, "7 & 7 Is" and you got yourself some proto punk. Can't believe the songs sound so good today! I love them all!

Use to be a Cleveland radio station that played "Friday on My Mind" on Friday mornings. Of course, Drew Carey and his band, The Horn Dogs, featuring Joe Walsh, played part of the song once on Drew's show.

Quick question: what did all of the Buffalo Springfield tree have in common - other than the band? I believe it was Joni Mitchell.

I worked in the Ashland Schools for 15 years. A lady that I knew well, went to school (Ashland Crestview) with one of the Music Explosion. She was quite adamant that she knew him. I had always heard they were from Mansfield, too. I believe a couple of members attended Lexington. The reconfigured band played a sold out show at the Mansfield Renaissance Theater about 10 years ago. They use to play at The Snow Trails' Ski Lodge in Mansfield. Great song by the Explosion!

Ohio Express, not so sure on them
either. I thought it was Dayton. I had a 45 of theirs called "Beg, Borrow and Steal".

Lots of Ohio bands. I am reading a book about the Wright Brothers (good name for a band) and Wilbur when asked about his success, replied, "Get yourself a good mother and a good father and grow up in Ohio!"

One of the best rock screams is in "The Knickerbockers'" song, "Lies".

Vince Guraldi was mentioned. I graduated with a kid named Charlie Brown.

Lull over; Indians on. Back to the quiz.

Last edited by Bevo; 09-19-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Another outstanding (and difficult) trivia quiz. I've always felt that the 1967-68 school year was a real pivotal point in our society and our music. "JB" would know best, but after this time in our history (and the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr. and RFK) it seems like the music became an extension of the protest movement.

Anyway, "JB" threw me a curve ball by "disallowing" my obvious picks on #12, 14 and 23. Heck, those would have been my first three guesses.

Also, I have a bit of an add to Bevo's answer to #2 John Fred and the Playboy Band. The late John Fred (aka John Fred Gourrier) was a former D-I athlete at SE Louisiana. He played both baseball and basketball there and coached those sports at the high school level. Local legend (I can't find any written material to support it) says that "Pistol Pete" Maravich once sat in and played (or tried to play) the drums with this "Swamp Rock" group.

Here goes with a few picks:
2. Little Ole' Man - Bill Cosby
13 Music To Watch Girls By - The Bob Crew Generation
20 Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead - The 5th Estate

ROCK ON
OWK,

First things first, how was the concert last night? Need some details.

Of course, I threw you some curve balls on 12, 14, and 23 knowing what a fan of Tone Loc you are, not to mention The Troggs and Carl Carlton ! Interesting guy that John Fred, huh. I hadn't heard about the Pistol Pete musical career legend, but you know stranger things have happened to Louisiana athletes. As a gag gift one Xmas, a good friend of mine always would buy me a record album and gift wrap it for either Xmas or my birthday and you know it's pretty obvious what a record album looks like gift wrapped, it's like getting a new tie on Father's Day from my daughters when they were younger. . .there was no denying what was in the box. My friend who passed away just a little over a year ago and knew much more music trivia than me, had a knack of finding the world's worst record album every year, usually at a garage sale, or the like, never paying more than .50 cents tops bought me one year an album by Terry Bradshaw singing some CW and gospel songs. He was a Louisiana athlete that dabbled in music, so why not Pete Maravich I guess.

2. "Little Ole' Man" - Bill Cosby is correct.You know Cosby sold millions of comedy albums back in the 60's with three of his comedy albums going platinum, This song which reached # 4 was a parody on a Stevie Wonder tune "Uptight, Everything's Alright" was his only success in the pop music charts. I believe today he has put his music, comedy, TV, movie, book, and product endorsement careers on the back burner as his priorities have taken a serious turnaround as he is probably more concerned with his legal fees.

13 "Music To Watch Girls By" Bob Crewe Generation is correct. Zunardo asked this question as an Extra Credit bonus and stumped everyone with the answer just last week.

20. "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead"- The Fifth Estate is correct. This quintet all lived in the same neighborhood in Connecticut and formed a band in 1964. Many thought they were British since they wore turtlenecks and their haircuts made them resemble Manfred Mann. They were on 5 different labels during their career, but still ended up as a One Hit Wonder. They may have been one of the more cerebral bands of the time. . .their organist, Wayne, 'Wads" Wadham was a Dartmouth grad and also had a degree from MIT and Harvard in English and nuclear physics ! They even toured with Gene Pitney and landed a spot on "Hullaballoo". Interestingly, during their Gene Pitney tour they were accompanied by "The Happenings", "The Music Explosion", and "The Easybeats". If any of those groups sound familiar it's because you have been reading some earlier threads before this one today.
The song was, of course, from The Wizard of Oz a 1939 classic film.

JB
Old 09-15-16, 03:38 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post

The Music Explosion finally dissolved and the former leader, Jamie Lyons joined a Columbus band called Mixed Water which included a guy named Eric Moore who later headed up the legendary Columbus heavy metal band The Godz with Mixed Water evolving into The Capitol City Rockers. Sometime we need to discuss another legendary Mansfield group from the same family and that is The Ohio Express, who charted too many hits to be a One Hit Wonder, but were part of that Kasenetz-Katz family. From a group called 'Sir Timothy & The Royals all the way thru those bubblegum classics like "Yummy. Yummy" and" Chewy, Chewy", "Beg, Borrow and Steal" . . .to be cont'd sometime.

JB
Probably one of the few times, if not the only time, the Godz will make an appearance on the AARP thread.

I did see an old album for the Capital City Rockets - Eric Moore and the others are sprawled on the floor, wearing roller skates, and sporting heavy mascara. By the time the Godz came into being, he put aside the makeup for the "motorcycle gang" look, but went back to wearing the eye paint in the late 1980's.

Today - let's just say Eric has not aged well.

But JB - your tidbit is interesting and fascinating. The Columbus Public Library sells a series of historical booklets on different features of Ohio city history. I bought the one on popular music history of central Ohio, which my father enjoyed reading. There several groups from the 1950's he remember seeing from his bachelor days as an airman stationed at Lockbourne AFB, and also while squiring my mother around town to different clubs and dances before they married.

I'll have to look for Jamie Lyons, if I can find that book. Godz alumni Glenn Cataline and Bob Hill are also featured prominently in a number of local band photos from the 1960's.

Some great history from an interesting era, when a 12 year-old kid could pick up a guitar, learn 3 or 4 chords, and be paid for playing a frat party a week later.
Old 09-15-16, 04:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Probably one of the few times, if not the only time, the Godz will make an appearance on the AARP thread.

I did see an old album for the Capital City Rockets - Eric Moore and the others are sprawled on the floor, wearing roller skates, and sporting heavy mascara. By the time the Godz came into being, he put aside the makeup for the "motorcycle gang" look, but went back to wearing the eye paint in the late 1980's.

Today - let's just say Eric has not aged well.

But JB - your tidbit is interesting and fascinating. The Columbus Public Library sells a series of historical booklets on different features of Ohio city history. I bought the one on popular music history of central Ohio, which my father enjoyed reading. There several groups from the 1950's he remember seeing from his bachelor days as an airman stationed at Lockbourne AFB, and also while squiring my mother around town to different clubs and dances before they married.

I'll have to look for Jamie Lyons, if I can find that book. Godz alumni Glenn Cataline and Bob Hill are also featured prominently in a number of local band photos from the 1960's.

Some great history from an interesting era, when a 12 year-old kid could pick up a guitar, learn 3 or 4 chords, and be paid for playing a frat party a week later.
Zunardo,

Always interested in the central Ohio music scene, having grown up, for the most part in the Newark/ Heath area, school at OSU and lived in Johnstown for a few years. The Godz and their Rock N Roll machine were something to see back in the day with "Gotta Keep A Runnin" their signature song. Also the band The Dantes ruled the Columbus music scene in the mid 60's and one of my friends here in Lima was originally from Lancaster and his brother, who was a DJ in Lancaster in the 60's was the manager of both The Dantes and JD Blackfoot. He gave me a CD 3 or 4 years ago of The Dantes reunion performance at Valley Dale a few years back.

Another guy who I always believed would hit the big time had he not died was Ronald Koal and his band The Trillionnaires. Met him at the old 'Stache & Little Brothers on High Street after an Ohio State game and after several earlier stops, but he had "the look" kind of a cross between Willie DeVille and Lou Reed. He was sitting at the bar and I had no idea who he was and that he was the featured entertainment that evening. Chatted with him for probably 15 minutes and he suddenly gets up walks over to the tiny stage, calls the Trillionnaires up and says Hello , folks I'm Ronald Koal and proceeds to blow the roof off the sucker as they used to say. If you ever are talking to some Columbus Hipsters from back in the day ask them if they remember Ronald Koal & The Trillionnaires. A true hipster back in the early 80's.

A Columbus band that I only ever heard about but never had the chance to see perform was The New Bomb Turks from the late 80's and into the 90's. Once I moved to NW Ohio my central Ohio music connection gradually dried up over the years.

Always enjoy your posts.

JB
Old 09-15-16, 08:15 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
"JB" et al - Here's my amateurish review of Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Concert that Mrs. OWK (One Who Knows More) and I attended last evening. First, let me mention that I have seen Brian Wilson and/or The Beach Boys well over a dozen times. To say that I am a "homer" would be an understatement. That being said, I was not expecting a very good show last night. With Brian Wilson's voice suffering from "game slippage" and without the other Beach Boys, I figured that I like the songs, but the performance wouldn't be top-notch.

Quite honestly, I couldn't have been further from the truth. Even though Brian was in his usual "non-emotional" state and stared quite a bit, the band (11 members) really captured the sound of the Beach Boys and provided enough energy to keep the packed crowd extremely excited and entertained all evening. The dysfunction of Brian Wilson was in play as Al Jardine, a founding member of The Beach Boys, played with the Brian Wilson Band. Also, Jardine's son, Matt, also performed and his singing voice was one of the highlights of the show. He sounds very much like the Brian Wilson of the 1960s. The crowd's reaction as he hit his first notes was rather amazing - like the crowd was in a time tunnel.

To me, the highlight of the concert was Blonde Chaplin singing "Sail on Sailor". I had no idea that he sang lead on the original Beach Boy recording back in 1972. I was only familiar with Blondie Chaplin as a member of The Rolling Stones. I had no idea that he was a Beach Boy "back in the day" and that he was once again performing with Wilson on this 50th Anniversary tour.

All in all, it was a great night and extremely enjoyable (maybe because my expectations were so low). The magic of Brian Wilson' music, Matt Jardine's voice and Blondie Chaplin's performance lead an outstanding show that seemed to be enjoyed by all (or at least most). It was almost like a religious experience in that there many baby boomers seemed transformed during the concert. Many limped into the venue or used walkers, but when the music started the whole place was jamming - almost like the concert patrons had visited Lourdes.

Here's is last night's set-list:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-...-7bfdb268.html

ROCK ON
Old 09-15-16, 08:30 PM
All American

Sounds great!!
Old 09-15-16, 08:45 PM
All American

OWK,

Thanks for the review, really sounds like a good show. Always glad to hear of a Lima lad (Al Jardine) making good. I didn't know he had his son Matt following in his dad's footsteps. . .cool ! Is Mike Love still a part of the group ? I remember reading of all kinds of litigation between some members of the BB and I've lost track of Love's status. I thought there had been an ugly rift and was curious if that ever got settled.

JB
Old 09-15-16, 10:21 PM
All American

Just shy of 24 hours; gotta hit the sack because I am driving someone to Toledo early in the morning. Because I am a tad early I will not exceed three or Google so as to give the rest of the gang its shot.

1. Blues Magoos. Right there with the other early punk bands previously mentioned.

5. Yellow Balloon by Yellow Balloon. Believe it or not, I believe this came up on the other site when one of the members passed away. That member being Don Grady from the tv show, "My Three Sons". He played Rob, brother to Chip and Ernie. These two were the Livingston brothers and were actually brothers. Liked the show and wished my name was "Chip".

22. The Hombres. Had this on a 45. Really liked it. Someone else who was around my age who really liked it was John Mellencamp as he did his own version probably 15-20 years ago. Quirky song with a catchy beat.
Old 09-15-16, 10:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
OWK,

Thanks for the review, really sounds like a good show. Always glad to hear of a Lima lad (Al Jardine) making good. I didn't know he had his son Matt following in his dad's footsteps. . .cool ! Is Mike Love still a part of the group ? I remember reading of all kinds of litigation between some members of the BB and I've lost track of Love's status. I thought there had been an ugly rift and was curious if that ever got settled.

JB
"JB" - My apologies for not mentioning your Beach Boy "Home Boy", Al Jardine. Yes, originally from Lima and planning to be a dentist, Jardine started jamming with Brian Wilson and the rest is history.

As you already know, The Beach Boys have split, reunited and split more than a time or two. As the situation stands right now, Mike Love has the rights to the title "The Beach Boys", but he supposedly has to maintain a cash flow to Brothers Records. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston ("I Write the Songs") have a group that performs as The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson, along Al Jardine, perform under Brian Wilson or the Brian Wilson Band banner. Clear as mud, huh?

Although their history is muddled, the music of Brian Wilson captured a time and a place (California: the sun, the surf, hot cars and hot girls). For the most part, their music is upbeat and many people love to reminisce while getting lost in their sounds.

While I'm posting, I'll add a few more guesses to the 1967 list. After these two artists, I'm "Tap City":
14 Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Cannonball Adderley
23 Everlasting Love - Robert Knight (a great name for this forum)

ROCK ON
Old 09-16-16, 05:08 AM
All American

I knew the Robt. Knight one wouldn't last. I've got two left but I will be gone until this afternoon. My calculations say the following are still open: 6,10,12,14,18,19 and 21.
Old 09-16-16, 04:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Just shy of 24 hours; gotta hit the sack because I am driving someone to Toledo early in the morning. Because I am a tad early I will not exceed three or Google so as to give the rest of the gang its shot.

1. Blues Magoos. Right there with the other early punk bands previously mentioned.

5. Yellow Balloon by Yellow Balloon. Believe it or not, I believe this came up on the other site when one of the members passed away. That member being Don Grady from the tv show, "My Three Sons". He played Rob, brother to Chip and Ernie. These two were the Livingston brothers and were actually brothers. Liked the show and wished my name was "Chip".

22. The Hombres. Had this on a 45. Really liked it. Someone else who was around my age who really liked it was John Mellencamp as he did his own version probably 15-20 years ago. Quirky song with a catchy beat.
Bevo,

All 3 of your answers are correct and have been credited. Nice work.

1. "We Ain't Got Nuthin' Yet" - Blues Magoos. There's a song title that would make an English teacher cringe. The Blues Magoos were known as New York City's first psychedelic experience. These boys were wired, literally, their bellbottoms would flash on and off while they performed. The timing of this was perfect as it was the early days of drugs with people experimenting with all types of mind altering ideas. The name of their first album seemed appropriate for this band, "Psychedelic Lollipop" Their hit single starts out as track one goes into, what is described as a rave-up on" Tobacco Road". Their second album was called " Electric Comic Book" and their third, and last album included a song called "Subliminal Sonic Laxative" !. They toured and opened up for both Herman's Hermits and The Who before crashing and burning in 1969. Their lone hit did reach #5 and really was a good song.

5. Yellow Balloon - Yellow Balloon. Is there an echo in here or am I suffering from double vision ? Neither, it's not a typo, the group and the song are one and the same. You have a very good memory as we did discuss this song one time on the other site and you have covered all of the high points in your narrative, with the big item being that the group was founded by the late Don Grady, who played Robbie Douglas on "My Three Sons". Good job, Chip.

22 Let It All Hang Out - The Hombres. This quartet was from Memphis, and all but one member had been in the touring edition of "Ronnie & The Daytonas of "Little GTO" fame. The touring edition was a completely different band than the studio band which was was made up of a Nashville session band and didn't venture outside of the studio. Additionally, BB Cunningham, organist for the Hombres not only was a member of The Hombres and Ronnie & The Daytonas, but his brother was a charter member of the Memphis group "The Box Tops" which had the #1 hit "The Letter". The Hombres, "Let It All Hang Out" while it didn't reach #1 it still peaked at a very respectable #12 on the Charts. Bevo, you may be surprised to learn that the idea for LIAHO was a result of the band listening to Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues. The band thought Dylan was really putting the kids on and said since that sold so well, we need to come up with a song that also put the kids on and they came up with LIAHO, a verbal collage of profound nonsense with a lead vocal that tried to sound like a funked up Dylan with a face full of marbles as they described it in an interview.

JB
Old 09-16-16, 05:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
"JB" - My apologies for not mentioning your Beach Boy "Home Boy", Al Jardine. Yes, originally from Lima and planning to be a dentist, Jardine started jamming with Brian Wilson and the rest is history.

As you already know, The Beach Boys have split, reunited and split more than a time or two. As the situation stands right now, Mike Love has the rights to the title "The Beach Boys", but he supposedly has to maintain a cash flow to Brothers Records. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston ("I Write the Songs") have a group that performs as The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson, along Al Jardine, perform under Brian Wilson or the Brian Wilson Band banner. Clear as mud, huh?

Although their history is muddled, the music of Brian Wilson captured a time and a place (California: the sun, the surf, hot cars and hot girls). For the most part, their music is upbeat and many people love to reminisce while getting lost in their sounds.

While I'm posting, I'll add a few more guesses to the 1967 list. After these two artists, I'm "Tap City":
14 Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Cannonball Adderley
23 Everlasting Love - Robert Knight (a great name for this forum)

ROCK ON
OWK,

Apology accepted re: Lima's own Al Jardine.

Glad you answered a couple more of the trivia questions and both are correct.

14. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, - Cannonball Adderley
"Julian" Adderley is one of the few jazz musicians to chart a song on the Pop charts, but he took Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, all the way to #11, just missing the Top 10 by a note. Ever wonder how Julian became known as "Cannonball" ? Well, it wasn't because of his actions jumping off the high dive holding his knees as I'm sure someone might guess. He had such a huge appetite, his friends nicknamed him "Cannibal" and later these same friends converted that into "Cannonball". Not much to say about his pop career as he was essentially a jazzman plain and simple. He died of a massive stroke in 1975.

23. Everlasting Love - Robert Knight . Outside of his music career, he is best known for hurling a plastic chair across the gym floor in Assembly hall in 1985 as Steve Reid was getting ready to shoot a foul shot for Purdue and making a kid named Mike Giomi the answer to the trivia question, "Who was the only player to start for both Bob Knight and Jim Valvano in college?" Oh wait a minute this isn't hoops it's music !! You know OWK, I'm thinking you would be the only person reading this who would understand the significance of that Giomi question.

OK, back to music and Robert Knight. . . Even though Robert Knight is a One Hit Wonder in the music world, he is anything but that outside of the music industry. He was a chemistry major at Tennessee State and sang in the evenings at some Nashville nitespots. It was his first release as a recording artist and his version reached the lucky #13 spot in the Top 40. Your guy Carl Carlton took the same song to an even better # 6 on the charts 7 years later in 1974. When last heard from, Robert Knight was working fulltime as a research chemist and singing as a hobby.

JB
Old 09-16-16, 05:15 PM
All American

Quote:
I knew the Robt. Knight one wouldn't last. I've got two left but I will be gone until this afternoon. My calculations say the following are still open: 6,10,12,14,18,19 and 21.

I show these questions as unanswered at 6:15 PM Friday

6, 10, 12, 18, 19, 21, 24, and 25

17 answered
8 unanswered

JB
Old 09-16-16, 05:24 PM
All American

At midnite tonite ( Friday) unlimited guesses are available
and the use of any resource material is allowed ( and encouraged) !

There are still 8 questions not answered. You can find a current summary of the quiz on thread #710.

It may be a while before I post results. We are having guests for the weekend and they are arriving around 11:30 am Saturday morning. My time on the computer will be limited. I'll check back early Sat, morning and again late Sunday night to see the status and supply any questions that are still open. It's going to be a football marathon all weekend here.

JB
Old 09-16-16, 07:42 PM
All American

10. The Great "Music Machine"
12. Jimi Hendrix with a slow, bluesy, druggy version of this chestnut
21. "Every Mother's Son" - a very clean, wholesome group of young men

Last edited by Bevo; 09-16-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 11:05 PM
All American

6. "Blues' Theme" Davie Allen (?) - I saw all these movies at the Indian trail Drive -In just north of Upper. Recognized it; thought it was called something else. Peter Fonda, Nancy Sinatra, Diane Ladd and Bruce Dern - quite a cast.

18. Definitely remember this. "The Parade" Reminds me of "I Could Be So Good to You" by "Don and the Goodtimes".

19. "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by "Whistling Jack Smith" was used forever in a commercial by a Toledo auto dealer. So strange, it is difficult to have the right words. I certainly remember it. ("Are you a mod or a rocker?" "I'm a mocker" would describe this thing.) This has Ted Mack, Arthur Godfrey, "America's Got Talent" and "The Gong Show" all over it! Maybe even Major Bowes.

24. "Pata, Pata" - whata? whata? Recognized. Great clip of Ed Sullivan introducing Miriam Makeba as a Black performer on Google. I guess "All My Loving" was one thing but this was something in need of more explanation.

25. "An Open Letter to My Teenage Son" - never heard of it. Sort of a 60's middle-age man song to his son.
Old 09-17-16, 08:27 AM
All World

Last night was a tough night for Lima (vs. Toledo Whitmer) and ASVSM (vs. Cardinal Mooney), but Hamilton Twp. knocked off Amada-Clearcreek 35-28 and Upper Sandusky had a big win (48-0) over Morral Ridgedale.

Today is a HUGE game in Norman as the #3 Buckeyes (a one-point underdog) takes on #14 Oklahoma at 7:30 on FOX.

Go Bucks and Rock On!
Old 09-17-16, 08:50 AM
All American

That Upper win over a D5 that does not have enough boys for a j.high program and that is seriously considering dropping football completely. Still a win is... .
Old 09-17-16, 09:37 AM
All American

A quick check in before my weekend officially begins or ends depending on what spin is put on the next 48 hours.. Already received a wake-up call this morning from a long time college buddy who is enroute to Lima and requested that I be sure to record GameDay on ESPN because it was first time the crew had ever broadcast the show from Louisville ! My groggy response was "Who cares, and what time this afternoon do you think you are going to be able to watch this, and do you have any idea what time it is ????" Anyway, I have less than an hour to get the trivia results brought current. It appears that Bevo has been very busy and has answered 6 of the remaining 8 questions. Excellent research work.

I'm showing just questions 12 and 25 remaining .

JB
Old 09-17-16, 09:51 AM
All American

Quote:
10. The Great "Music Machine"
12. Jimi Hendrix with a slow, bluesy, druggy version of this chestnut
21. "Every Mother's Son" - a very clean, wholesome group of young men
Bevo,

10. Good, you officially answer this with Music Machine and Talk, Talk

12. Not Jimi Hendrix, you know he only had one single ever make the Top 40 and that was " All Along The Watchtower" at#20 in 1968.

21. "Come On Down To My Boat"- Every Mother's Son is correct. You are also correct about their squeaky clean image, closely cut hair, unusual in the late 60's and many times they even sported neckties ! They took this tune to #6 in the summer of 1967.

JB
Old 09-17-16, 10:36 AM
All American

Quote:
6. "Blues' Theme" Davie Allen (?) - I saw all these movies at the Indian trail Drive -In just north of Upper. Recognized it; thought it was called something else. Peter Fonda, Nancy Sinatra, Diane Ladd and Bruce Dern - quite a cast.

18. Definitely remember this. "The Parade" Reminds me of "I Could Be So Good to You" by "Don and the Goodtimes".

19. "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by "Whistling Jack Smith" was used forever in a commercial by a Toledo auto dealer. So strange, it is difficult to have the right words. I certainly remember it. ("Are you a mod or a rocker?" "I'm a mocker" would describe this thing.) This has Ted Mack, Arthur Godfrey, "America's Got Talent" and "The Gong Show" all over it! Maybe even Major Bowes.

24. "Pata, Pata" - whata? whata? Recognized. Great clip of Ed Sullivan introducing Miriam Makeba as a Black performer on Google. I guess "All My Loving" was one thing but this was something in need of more explanation.

25. "An Open Letter to My Teenage Son" - never heard of it. Sort of a 60's middle-age man song to his son.
Bevo,

6. Davie Allan and The Arrows is correct for Blue's Theme. This was the theme song from the Peter Fonda motorcycle movie " The Wild Angels". I'm sure you saw it at the Drive-In, the same as every other person in America. I don't think those cycle movies ever played anywhere but the Drive-In. I saw it and two other motorcycle movies at the Valley-Drive In in Newark. Since you saw it at the "Indian" Trail Drive -In I'm surprised you didn't get the name of Davie Allans' group "The Arrows", lol.

18.Sunshine Girl - Parade - Very difficult question in my opinion. I don't really recall this tune even though it made the Top 20. A pop-rock trio LA based headed by a guy named Jerry Riopelle who was a pretty good song writer but never got much recognition. He was first producer Phil Spector ever hired to help form his Wall of Sound. Riopelle sang background for acts like the Righteous Brothers, the Ronettes, and Ike & Tina Turner. He hooked up with two other vocalists and went into the studio as 'Parade" and came out with "Sunshine Girl" Known as a guy with good songs who never became famous.

19. I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" - Whistling Jack Smith is correct. Whistling Jack Smith never really existed. It was recorded as kind of a joke, but when the song began selling, a " Jack Smith" had to be located to make personal appearances, a guy named Billy Moeller was selected for the role., he had been recording under the name of Coby Wells and then became Jack Smith for a while and then back to Billy Moeller, never had another hit under any of the 3 names again

24. Pata,Pata, - Miriam Makeba is correct. Check this resume out, from her autobiography : From Johannesburg, South Africa, she was exiled from South Africa ,had several bouts with cancer, death of a daughter, 5 marriages which included Hugh Masekela and Stokely Carmichael, blackballed by the music industry because of her marriage to Black radical Stokely Carmichael and survived 11 car crashes, Damn ! Her mentors were Steve Allen and Harry Belafonte. " Pata Pata " was her turning point in the U.S. but she considered it one her most insignificant songs, claiming she had many more serious songs, by public only wanted to hear "Pata, Pata".

25. "Open Letter To My Teenage Son" Sounds like must have heard this, but do you have the name of the man who recorded it?

JB
Old 09-17-16, 11:09 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
12. Wild Thing -- Bill Minkin aka "Senator Bobby
25. An Open Letter..... -- Victor Lundberg

Of course the only way I knew these was to look them up. After doing so, I vaguely remembered that version of Wild Thing. It was actually pretty funny.

The Open Letter? Well, let's just say that I didn't remember it at all. It was clearly a song that reflected the times.
Old 09-17-16, 12:38 PM
All American

Monclova - I also recall faintly "Wild Thing" like Bobby Kennedy would have done it.

An Open Letter... . If I heard it, I mush have immediately shut it down.

Everyone is into football and J.B. is entertaining this weekend so here are the remainder of my bullet points: (Don't recall why some of these even came up.)

Does anyone recall the theme song for "I've Got a Secret"? The old Gary Moore version. It was one of those quiz shoe quickies used to denote happiness and thinking, I believe.

We've touched on a few comedy albums. When I was in j.high I remember kids talking about "Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks"; sort of raunchy, for the time, I guess. My friends and I loved all of Pryor's stuff.

Speaking of "comedy" has anyone ever noticed that the producer of "The Price Is Right" is Adam Sandler?

Springsteen occasionally does "Double Shot...." There is a clip on Google of him doing this with the original Medallions.

I did not like strongly "Winchester Cathedral" and all of that Carnaby St., Edwardian thing. (Although I had some killer paisley shirts and a pea coat.)

Really liked "It's Alright" by J.J. Jackson. there were a couple fo bands around my area who did this one well.

Someone saw Booker T. Wow; great to know he's still out there.

I believe the Travelling Wilburys was probably the band all of the performers wanted to be in - and then Roy died.

"Eve of Destruction" and "Mister You're A Better man Than I" - que these and welcome to my brain circa 65-67.

I was not a fan of Buck Owns but then I got into Willie and Merle and Johnny., et.al. I saw Roy Clark live; it was astonishing. Google Willie and Merle (right before he died) doing "Don't Think Twice"; simply a great rendition.

Go Bucks! 30-21
Old 09-17-16, 05:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post

.... And THAT triggered a memory of a comedy song a friend played for me back in high school. I don't know who the artist was, but it was supposed to be Robert F. Kennedy singing "Wild Thing" in an uninspired Bah-ston monotone, and the studio engineer trying to coach him says either "You're too ruthless!" or "You need to be more ruthless, Senator!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post

Of course the only way I knew these was to look them up. After doing so, I vaguely remembered that version of Wild Thing. It was actually pretty funny.
DP, thanks for mentioning Minkin - THAT was the guy I couldn't remember.

I just listened to it on Youtube, and it was just as funny as when I heard in the late 1970's. ("Okay, Teddy, go for it on the ocarina .... tempo, Teddy, tempo .....")

Then I listened to the version featuring "Senator Everett Dirksen". Ronnie was laying a little California Soul on them.
Old 09-18-16, 10:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
25. An Open Letter..... -- Victor Lundberg

The Open Letter? Well, let's just say that I didn't remember it at all. It was clearly a song that reflected the times.
Monclova Steve,

A final check of the 1967 One Hit Wonder Quiz shows that you have correctly answered the last two questions and we close this quiz out and get ready for the 1968 One Hit Wonder quiz which I hope to post either later tonight or on Monday Morning. I will also post the final 1967 summary as well.

6. Wild Thing - Senator Bobby was recorded by an impersonator named Bill Minkin in an a novelty record mimicking Sen. Robert Kennedy and Sen Everett Dirkesen to the Troggs "Wild Thing.

12.An Open Letter To My Teenage Son- Victor Lundberg. I won't attempt to describe this recording, if you are curious I understand it can be found on YouTube. I remember it when it came out and as a 22 year old I thought it was over the top then and haven't changed my opinion 48 years later.

JB
Old 09-18-16, 10:48 PM
All American

Here is the final summary of the 1967 One Hit Wonder Quiz

JB

1. We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet - Blues Magoos - Bevo
2. Little Ole' Man- Bill Cosby - OWK
3. Judy In Disguise ( with glasses) - John Fred & His Playboy Band - Bevo
4. Little Bit O' Soul - Music Explosion - Zunardo
5. Yellow Balloon- Yellow Balloon - Bevo
6. Blues Theme - Davie Allan and The Arrows - Bevo
7. Gallant Men - Sen. Everett Dirksen - "Mrs". Monclova Steve
8. Pushin' Too Hard - The Seeds - Bevo
9. Hello, Hello - Sopwith Camel - Bevo
10 Talk, Talk - Music Machine - Bevo
11 Tell It Like It Is - Aaron Neville - Zunardo
12 Wild Thing ( not The Troggs, Fancy, or Tone Loc) - Senator Bobby - Monclova Steve
13 Music To Watch Girls By - Bob Crewe Generation - OWK
14 Mercy, Mercy, Mercy ( not The Buckinghams)- Cannonball Adderley - OWK
15 Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye - The Casinos - Monclova Steve
16 For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield - Monclova Steve
17 Friday On My Mind - Easybeats - Zunardo
18 Sunshine Girl - Parade - Bevo
19 I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman - Whistling Jack Smith - Bevo
20 Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead - Fifth Estate - OWK
21 Come On Down To My Boat - Every Mother's Son - Bevo
22 Let It All Hang Out - The Hombres - Bevo
23 Everlasting Love ( not Carl Carlton,not Rex Smith) - Robert Knight - OWK
24 Pata, Pata - Miriam Makeba - Bevo
25 An Open Letter To My Teenage Son - Victor Lundberg - Monclova Steve
Old 09-18-16, 11:43 PM
All American

Here is the 1968 One Hit Wonder Music Trivia Quiz

The usual guidelines apply:

No Googling first 24 hours
3 guess maximum in first 24 hours

As I began to type the '68 quiz I realized that several of the "one hit wonder tunes I had planned to use in this latest edition sounded more familiar than usual with the reason being, our leader, OWK had supplied us with a special music trivia quiz focused on the year 1968 just about a month ago (8-17-16). Although this wasn't exclusive just to One Hit Wonders, the quiz did include 9 songs that were One Hit Wonders. As a result, I have listed those 9 songs that were One Hit Wonders and deleted them from this latest quiz since we had just identified them so recently.

a- Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat
b- Good, Bad, & Ugly - Hugo Montenegro
c - The Horse - Cliff Nobles & Company
d - Grazing in the Grass - Hugh Masekala
e - Angel of the Morning - Merilee Rush
f - Classical Gas - Mason Wiliams
g - Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer
h Sweet Inspirations - Sweet Inspiration
i Nobody But Me - Human Beinz

Below are the questions I am looking for :

1. Skip A Rope - Henson Cargill - Bevo
2. Harper Valley PTA - Jeanne C. Riley - OWK
3. Shape Of Things To Come - Max Frost & The Troopers - OWK
4. Green Tambourine - The Lemon Pipers - Bevo
5. In-A-Gadda- Da- Vida - Iron Butterfly - afwpatfire
6. McArthur Park - Richard Harris - Bevo
7. Quick Joey Small - Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus - OWK
8. Girl Watcher - The O'Kaysions - Bevo
9. Indian Reservation ( not P. Revere & Raiders) - Don Fardon - OWK
10 Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Zunardo
11 All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix Experience - afwpatfire
12 I Love You - People - Bevo
13 Little Arrows - Leapy Lee - OWK
14 Tip Toe Thru The Tulips - Tiny Tim - Zunardo
15 Reach Out Of The Darkness - Friend & Lover - rdlwolverine
16 Master Jack - 4 Jacks and a Jill - OWK
17 Love Makes A Woman - Barbara Acklin - OWK
18 Journey to The Center of Your Mind- The Amboy Dukes - BlackHawk
19 Pictures Of Matchstick Men - Status Quo - Zunardo
20 Playboy - Gene & Debbie - OWK
21 Here Comes The Judge ( need 2 artists that had this song on '68 charts) - Shorty Long - OWK and Pigmeat Markham - Bevo

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 09-21-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-18-16, 11:50 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
5. Iron Butterfly
11. The Jimmy Hendrix Experience?
Old 09-19-16, 07:05 AM
All American

10 Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
14 Tip Toe Thru The Tulips - Herbert Khaury, aka Tiny Tim
19 Pictures Of Matchstick Men - Status Quo

Display Modes Rate This Thread