Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-18, 07:56 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
PARITY! The games have been great!

Diop needs another year at OSU (please!). He is a talent, though.
Old 03-18-18, 11:12 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
x284532#4 of 10

Cher - Dark Lady

#1 hit in 1974 for a very sexy/pretty woman (a Bevo Babe?)

Written and composed by Johnny Durrill who was a member of the group The Ventures.

Cher once toured with the Ventures.

A version was performed in 1973 as part of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour.

:>---

EGA
Good info and lead in to Cher's big hit "Dark Lady". Hadn't heard that song in many years. I wasn't aware that she had once toured with The Ventures.
Was this as a single artist or was she still with Sonny at the time ?

JB
Old 03-19-18, 04:46 AM
All American

If so, Cher probably knew Nokie. There's a really poor taste joke in there that I'll leave alone.
Old 03-19-18, 06:17 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
No such suspense with my Nokie Edwards' question. My clues were that he died this past week at 82 and that he was a member of a band in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I can tell the stalwarts are on sabbatical as they would have nailed this. Nokie was the lead guitar player for the Ventures.
Quote:
x284532#4 of 10

Cher - Dark Lady #1 hit in 1974 for a very sexy/pretty woman (a Bevo Babe?), Written and composed by Johnny Durrill who was a member of the group The Ventures.

Interesting connections, and a nicely-constructed theme by ohiopup! Music trivia is fascinating stuff.

Not sure if this bit was already posted on this thread or any prior incarnations, but it's not every day an active-duty 4-star general plays drums for a well-known rock-n-roll band - while in uniform, yet!

Old 03-19-18, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Walk Don't Run (WDW)...

Was also a 1966 film. Stars: Cary Grant, Jim Hutton and (easy on the eyes...) Samantha Eggar.
Hutton plays the role of a US Olympic team member in the event ~ Men's 50 kilometers walk;
thus the title of the film. The instrumental "Walk, Don't Run" (1954) by Johnny Smith
and a hit for The Ventures in the 1960s is NOT featured in the film.

It's worth a view.

Samantha:

This is a remake of the 1943 film The More the Merrier (TMTM)
The 1943 film featured: Charles Coburn, Joel McCrea and Jean Arthur.

Plot: a housing shortage due to events; WWII (TMTM); Tokyo Olympics (WDW) results in the
sub-letting of female's (Eggar) apartment to older gentleman (Grant),
who then sub-lets his half to younger male (Hutton).
Grant eventually then plays match maker to the young ones.

I first saw Eggar in the film The Collector where she is a kidnapped.

This was Cary Grants last film.

Eggar is now 79
Grant passed in 1986
Hutton died in 1979 / I used to watch his TV series Ellery Queen ~
first saw him in the 1960 movie Where the Boys Are
along with Paula Prentiss, George Hamilton, Frank Gorshin (TV's Riddler),
Connie Francis, and ~ et al...

Connie's hit was the title track for the film... Where the Boys Are

P.S. ~~~ Spring Break film!

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 03-19-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 09:46 AM
All American

Quote:
If so, Cher probably knew Nokie. There's a really poor taste joke in there that I'll leave alone.

Bevo,

Yes, there definitely is an off-color joke in there that is best left untold, lol.

I think there may be some confusion concerning Cher touring with The Ventures. Johnny Durrill of the Ventures had written the song and gave legendary producer, Snuff Garrrett, a demo of the song just before leaving for Japan on tour with The Ventures. Garrett loved the song "Dark Lady" except for the last verse, Garrett was able to reach Durrill thru his booking agent and connected with him while The Ventures were touring in Japan.

Snuff Garrett wanted the boyfriend who was with the soothsayer in the song killed in the third verse. As the story goes, John Durrill sent a series of telegrams back to Snuff Garrett with new lines suggested for the last verse.
Within a day after getting the revisions from The Ventures Japan Tour, Garrett changed the lyrics in the third verse and Cher then recorded the song in Los Angeles where it entered the Top 100 at #82 in January of 1974 and within 9 weeks had peaked at Number 1. This Friday, March 24th will mark the 44th anniversary of "Dark Lady" reaching #1 on the Billboard Top 40.

There may be some confusion about her touring with The Ventures based on her producer, Snuff Garrett tracking down John Durrill the writer of "Dark Lady" who indeed was on tour as a member of The Ventures, but Cher was in L.A. recording the song and not on tour with The Ventures.

The timing of this was interesting by the fact that during the chart life of " "Dark Lady" was the time that the marital problems of Sonny & Cher were just hitting the headlines and the couple had separated but still continuing the TV show together.

JB
Old 03-19-18, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
x284532#4 of 10

Cher - Dark Lady...
My error in speed reading~~~

EGA
Old 03-19-18, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

#5 of 10

#5 of 10

Evil Woman From ELO.

In the video ~ some are models but there are famous stars...
how many can you spot?

The 1st woman on screen looks like an early Barbara Stanwyck ~ later... she's in there holding a towel
from the film Double Indemnity.

The second is Rebecca Romijn from the movie 2002 film Femme Fatale

directed by Brian De Palma. (Twist of fate events)

EGA
Old 03-19-18, 02:20 PM
All American

Quote:
My error in speed reading~~~

EGA

ohiopup,

No problem, I believe that Evelyn Wood and her famous "Speed Reading Dynamics" may have created more harm than good during her TV ad campaigns of the 60's and 70's . . . .lol.

Your posts tell me that you are likely a film buff as well as a music fan. . .some very cool videos recently.

I'm curious if you are familiar with the book " Bad Girls, Film Fatales, Sirens, and Molls" by Tony Turtu . The author also has an interesting interview with Angie Dickinson to kick things off and covers bad girls from the 30's and early 40's when Hollywood introduced the doll, the dish, the dame, and the classic, the tomato to the screen.

The book focuses on what he considers the classic period of 1940 thru 1959 of film noir and then continues right on to the present with what he calls "silver screen jezebels. . .Lena Olin, Linda Fiorentino, Jessica Lange, Anjelica Huston, Annette Bening, aand Kathleen Turner and many more.

Terrific rare movie posters, lobby cards and color photos paying tribute to those actresses who mad a career out of being bad.

Critics, Jeffrey Lyons and Leonard Maltin among others, praised this book and I would agree with them. I collect books on film noir and cult films in general and I found this book exceptional. If you don't already have it, you may want to check it out. It's not a new book, it was published in 2005.

JB
Old 03-19-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post

I'm curious if you are familiar with the book " Bad Girls, Film Fatales, Sirens, and Molls" by Tony Turtu . The author also has an interesting interview with Angie Dickinson to kick things off and covers bad girls from the 30's and early 40's when Hollywood introduced the doll, the dish, the dame, and the classic, the tomato to the screen.

The book focuses on what he considers the classic period of 1940 thru 1959 of film noir and then continues right on to the present with what he calls "silver screen jezebels. . .Lena Olin, Linda Fiorentino, Jessica Lange, Anjelica Huston, Annette Bening, and Kathleen Turner and many more.
JB
Haven't seen that book; I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I frequent flea markets, thrift stores, and garage sales. Usually just to garner an LP’s,
some books, old games (for the unusual moving tokens).

But sometimes you never know what you will come across. Once walking
thru a flea market I spotted an old Huffy Tandem bicycle, really beat up
wheels shot, of course the tires were dry rot, asked the guy what he
wanted, reply, $75; I said he would be lucky if someone gave him a 10 spot.
Then I proceeded on my way.

Well upon leaving we had to pass near his booth again, he flagged me down
and said he would take $10 if I wanted the bike. Yep it's in the spare shed.

After pricing various components that it needed, I determined that it would be
cheaper to buy a new regular bike and salvage parts from it. As luck would
have it I picked one up for $80 on sale. The tandem was restored. We ride it
on occasion.

Parts used: wheels & tires front& back / seat / chain / handle bar & grips /
both fenders, peddles, and rear bag rack / had to buy another seat and set
of peddles.

EGA
Old 03-19-18, 04:55 PM
All American

You drive a hard bargain !

JB
Old 03-20-18, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

#6 of 10

#6 of 10

From Cliff Richard / Devil Woman (1976)

via Wiki...
The song is told from the point of a view of a man jinxed from an encounter with a stray cat
with evil eyes, and his discovery that the psychic medium (a Gypsy woman) whose help he sought
to break the curse was the one responsible for the curse in the first place.

Got the theme yet?

Marty Robbins had a hit by the same name Devil Woman in 1962, but not the same song.

Marty...

FYI ~ We rescue stray animals; dogs we find homes for; cats we kept a couple, others we
find homes for.

Our present small furry wonder is named Sinatra, pure white American long hair, blue eyes
(thus her name). She was feral, first time I got a hold of her (I was wearing a leather
jacket and thick leather work gloves). She bit thru the gloves and one of my fingers (to
the bone), I didn't let go. She now sleeps on me at night.

EGA
Old 03-20-18, 10:48 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you rescue animals. They need you. We rescued a dog and kept her for 13 years.
Old 03-20-18, 01:07 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I have a very high regard for those who rescue stray animals. To me, it says SOOOO MUCH about them as a person -- compassionate, kind, caring for someone besides themselves.

IMHO, there can be no greater achievement in life than to help our fellow creatures (humans included) live a full and happy co-existence with us.
Old 03-20-18, 01:35 PM
All American

At my mom's funeral I gave the eulogy and the line that nodded the most heads was: "Our mom never met a stray cat, dog or human that she didn't befriend and take in."

Conversely, there is a reason that psych's, law enforcement, attorneys, etc. talk of the three prongs of the homicidal triangle as being: fire starting, bed wetting, and cruelty to animals. Not always but enough to note.
Old 03-20-18, 01:47 PM
All American

When I was 5, I was playing in the alley behind our house. I was kneeling on the sidewalk and saw an ant by my knee. For no particular reason, I let the ant crawl on my finger. Then I spit on the sidewalk, flicked the ant into the spitball, and watched him drown -- all for no reason.
I felt really lousy then and -- 61 years later -- it still bothers me.

Yes, I'm still a sissy!
Old 03-20-18, 03:05 PM
All American

Jb offered Angie Dickinson as one of those fem fatales. Although not to be confused with Natasha Fa - tal - E, who with partner Boris, pursued Rocky and Bullwinkle relentlessly.

Angie Dickinson was (is) a hot mama. Carson and her had a thang, and probably a few others. May have been a president from Mass. involved, also. And others.

Gunnar and Matthew Nelson tell a funny story during their show about Angie and their dad, Rick, working on a western together. Wherever the youner Nelsons were performing, Angie was also present and got up from she was seated and made her way across a stage or room - ba-da,boom, ba-da,boom, etc. She approached the "boys" and got right down in their faces and said in that whiskey coated voice of hers: "Your daddy was a hell of a man." Ba-da, boom... . Implication clear.
Old 03-20-18, 03:36 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
That's not being a sissy. That's being a sensitive person. That's the first quality that attracted me to my husband.

I feel bad about the mouse I drowned in our old house in PA. These days I let bugs outside rather than squash them if I can help it.
Old 03-20-18, 03:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
That's not being a sissy. That's being a sensitive person. That's the first quality that attracted me to my husband.

I feel bad about the mouse I drowned in our old house in PA. These days I let bugs outside rather than squash them if I can help it.
Same here, Diva -- if I can help it. We've had stinkbugs this winter for the first time. My wife brings some large plants inside for the winter and, along with them, come some little critters. We've learned to live with them (I kinda like 'em! They don't do anything but eat other plant stuff and stay out of the way. I enjoy trying to get them to crawl onto my hand, but most of the time they don't like me that much ).
However, I'm also a landlord so when one of my tenants complains of a pest problem, I do what I have to do to keep my tenant happy.
I guess everything is a balance.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 03-20-18 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I opened the door to let a bug out and it invited in ten friends and an 80's band.
Old 03-20-18, 04:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I opened the door to let a bug out and it invited in ten friends and an 80's band.
I could live with The Scorpions:

Old 03-20-18, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Jb offered Angie Dickinson as one of those fem fatales. Although not to be confused with Natasha Fa - tal - E, who with partner Boris, pursued Rocky and Bullwinkle relentlessly.

Angie Dickinson was (is) a hot mama. Carson and her had a thang, and probably a few others. May have been a president from Mass. involved, also. And others.

Gunnar and Matthew Nelson tell a funny story during their show about Angie and their dad, Rick, working on a western together. Wherever the youner Nelsons were performing, Angie was also present and got up from she was seated and made her way across a stage or room - ba-da,boom, ba-da,boom, etc. She approached the "boys" and got right down in their faces and said in that whiskey coated voice of hers: "Your daddy was a hell of a man." Ba-da, boom... . Implication clear.

Angie in Rio Bravo (1959)
With Ricky Nelson, John Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennan, and
as the bad guys: John Russell and Claude Akins.

I can watch this movie any time it's on.

~ ~ ~

Ricky's Father Ozzie Nelson at one time had a Big Band and his wife Harriet was the
singer. Also when Qzzie was a Boy Scout; he was the youngest Scout (at that time) to
earn the rank of Eagle.

Angie is still with us, she's 86.

EGA
Old 03-21-18, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

#7 of 10

#7 of 10

(1982) The soft velvet voice of Stevie Nicks

Wander where ever you go there is a way to get back a little of home comfort.

The song is on the Mirage album by Fleetwood Mac

Sure to like the cover of this one...

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 03-21-18 at 05:54 PM. Reason: x287449
Old 03-22-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

#8 of 10

#8 of 10

Moving along... Fleetwood Mac... (1968)...

~ ~ Segway ~ ~ to 1970 a huge hit for Santana

the intro to Santana's hit was adapted from Gábor Szabó's Gypsy Queen...

Black Magic Woamn was featured on Santan's album...
Abraxas (1970). In 2016, the album was selected for preservation in the
National Recording Registry due to its "cultural, historic, or artistic significance."

- - - - -

EGA
Old 03-22-18, 04:52 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Stevie Nicks.

I had Abraxas and may still have it in my "album crate".

One day, I will buy a turntable and re-visit said crate.
Old 03-22-18, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I got two crates, the turn table (panasonic with a shure 4 needle), the amp (nakamichi), even a tape deck (H-K), everything but speakers, sitting in my garage for the last twenty years, lol. In a place as small as mine, it's hard to justify donating real estate to the old stereo set-up.
Old 03-22-18, 07:27 PM
All American

I believe the witchy Ms. Nicks turns 70 soon!
Old 03-22-18, 07:29 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
ohiopup, some of those videos look like they were created by Maurice Binder.
Old 03-23-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Maurice Binder works...
(opening title sequences)

I just happen to own 3 MusTanG - s

notice the MTG in the marquee of the name.

MTG are my initials

what's left? ... usan ... anagrams to anus

Some people would say that is very fitting for me!

EGA
Old 03-23-18, 08:13 AM
All American

"Dr. Lecter - Your anagrams are showing." - Clarise Starling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: