Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-16, 03:31 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
#3 Was Shelly Fabares "Bobbie's Girl"? Well, she may have sung the song but I think she only wanted to be Bobbie's Girl. Alas, unrequited young love.
Monclova Steve,

Good question, you have the right year down ( 1962) but you may be thinking of "Johnny Angel" who was the guy Shelley had the hots for. Another gal was "Bobby's Girl" in '62.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 03:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
My brain just kicked in:

Extra Credit D - Claude King

I've seen those commercials for "Country's Greatest Hits" so many times, I oughta remember that one.
Z,

Looks like all those PBS telethons/music commercials finally paid off for you. I just watched that one on Country Music Legends last week and I think Claude King may have been on it, every other country singer in the last 60 year,s I believe was on it.

Extra Credit D is correct.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 03:46 PM
All American

Quote:
"What's your Name? is driving me bananas. I can literally hear the entire song, sing along with all the words -- including the DoobeDoBobDaDa at the end.........BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO SANG THE DANG SONG!!!!!

What's worse is that, when someone names him, I probably won't remember him at all.
Monclova Steve,

Sounds like you may need a little hint to help you out.. . .it wasn't a guy or a group. It was a duo. They were a couple of singers from Brooklyn who were high school buddies working as house painters when they were discovered by someone who heard them singing while they painted. The next thing you know, they have taken the song "What's Your Name" all the way to number 7 on the charts.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 04:02 PM
All American

We are off to nice start on this 1962 quiz, according to my calculations we still need these questions answered:

1, 3, 6, and 8

Plus
A, B, C, and F extra credit questions.

It will be later tonight before I check back. Grandson has a soccer game tonight.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 04:35 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Monclova Steve,

Sounds like you may need a little hint to help you out.. . .it wasn't a guy or a group. It was a duo. They were a couple of singers from Brooklyn who were high school buddies working as house painters when they were discovered by someone who heard them singing while they painted. The next thing you know, they have taken the song "What's Your Name" all the way to number 7 on the charts.

JB
Thanks for that, JB. Classy as usual on your part to help a guy out. Unfortunately, I think anything short of giving me the name would be a nice but futile gesture.
BTW, thanks for the info on Shelly Fabares even tho' my guess fell short. I now remember "Johnny Angel" very well. It seemed like it was on the radio 24/7, not to mention performed occasionally on The Donna Reed Show. I loved the show, but I HATED the song, lol.
Old 08-30-16, 11:33 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Since it's after midnight, I'll enter three more guesses:

3. Bobby's Girl, Marcie Blaine (sp)
6. Tell Him, Johnny Thunder?
8. Love Letters, Kitty Lester

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-31-16, 11:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Since it's after midnight, I'll enter three more guesses:

3. Bobby's Girl, Marcie Blaine (sp)
6. Tell Him, Johnny Thunder?
8. Love Letters, Kitty Lester

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

2. Correct. Marcie Blane took Bobby's Girl to #3

6. Incorrect, Johnny Thunder actually did release " Tell Him" but it tanked and never charted. However, you will see Johnny Thunder again as he has a hit that will appear on my next quiz for 1963 tunes. You will just have to figure out which song it was, lol.

8. Correct. However, the artist's first name is Ketty instead of Kitty. You may have been thinking of Kitty Litter, who played kazoo on "Alley Cat" and helped Ted Nugent write Cat Scratch Fever. Incidentally, Ted, the Motor City Madman, Nugent actually played here in Lima at the Civic Center this past Monday night. I kid you not. I understand there was a huge crowd attend which I find strange since it was on a Monday night !! Also Ketty Lester also did quite a bit of acting after her brief music career. She was offered the lead role in the NBC series " Julia", but Diahann Carroll ended up taking the role.She had numerous roles in movies and TV and was a regular on the soap "Days Of Our Lives" and had a recurring role on "Little House On The Prairie"for 4 years.

I have updated your two correct answers to the original thread #461.

We still need 1, 6, A,B,C, and F to wrap this up.

The 1963 quiz is waiting in the wings.

JB
Old 08-31-16, 11:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Monclova Steve,

JB
Aha, a duo you say.
Do you think that's the reason why, when I recall the song and "hear" it in my brain, there is a constant harmony? Now that I think about it, that might be difficult for one guy to accomplish.
Hmm, you must have something here, JB.
Old 08-31-16, 12:02 PM
All American

Smile

Quote:
Aha, a duo you say.
Do you think that's the reason why, when I recall the song and "hear" it in my brain, there is a constant harmony? Now that I think about it, that might be difficult for one guy to accomplish.
Hmm, you must have something here, JB.
Monclova Steve,

Think of them as a soulful, doo-wop kind of Simon & Garfunkle. These two guys used their two first names as their stage name while Simon & Garfunkle used their last names, just think if "Bridge Over Troubled Water" had been credited to Paul & Art . One of the singers' first name sounds Hispanic. I really would like to see you get this question since you have been "hearing voices" about the tune for a couple days now and all morning I have now found myself singing the song and I know who sang it, lol !!!

JB
Old 08-31-16, 12:09 PM
All World

Quote:
OWK,
8. Correct. However, the artist's first name is Ketty instead of Kitty. Y
JB
Thanks "JB" - After all these years, I finally find out that is Ketty Wells, not Kitty. Hmm! I think Ketty quit show business to raise a family. I saw her on an "oldies" show and she was still very good.

Also, do we have to wait until midnight tonight for more guesses?

ROCK ON
Old 08-31-16, 12:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Monclova Steve,

Think of them as a soulful, doo-wop kind of Simon & Garfunkle. These two guys used their two first names as their stage name while Simon & Garfunkle used their last names, just think if "Bridge Over Troubled Water" had been credited to Paul & Art . One of the singers' first name sounds Hispanic. I really would like to see you get this question since you have been "hearing voices" about the tune for a couple days now and all morning I have now found myself singing the song and I know who sang it, lol !!!

JB
Too funny, JB. Your confidence in my recall ability is, quite generous and much appreciated -- as are all of your clues. In fact, I would say you have done just about everything EXCEPT give me their names (which is what you're going to have to do if I am to answer correctly, lol).

Perhaps some white knight will come along and end my fixation -- not to mention the "voices" we're hearing.
Old 08-31-16, 02:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Thanks "JB" - After all these years, I finally find out that is Ketty Wells, not Kitty. Hmm! I think Ketty quit show business to raise a family. I saw her on an "oldies" show and she was still very good.

Also, do we have to wait until midnight tonight for more guesses?

ROCK ON
OWK,

We are close enough to the home stretch to have unlimited guesses at this point and I have no problem with outside sources. I don't think a few more hours would make any difference, so anyone reading this take heed. . . .

Finish 1962 out and we will jump into my senior year of 1963, which had some really mediocre music compared to what was coming the next year with the British Invasion.

JB
Old 08-31-16, 02:26 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
1. Kenny Ball and The Jazz Men

6. The Exciters

A. Curtis Jones
B. The Corsairs
C. Don and Juan (no, really)
D. Bent Fabric (?!) (REALLY!?)
Old 08-31-16, 05:54 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

Aaaauuurrrggghhh - this is the second time this question has come up in what seem like only a year's time in this thread. Maybe a little longer, but I shoulda remembered that distinctive name.

It's such a classic melody, but every time I hear it, I keep thinking it's Floyd Cramer playing without his usual grace notes.

Great stuff.
Old 08-31-16, 08:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

6. The Exciters

A. Curtis Jones
B. The Corsairs
C. Don and Juan (no, really)
Wow, Bevo is a one man wrecking crew on closing the books 1962, The Year In Music !

1. "Midnight In Moscow" by Kenny Ball & The Jazzmen is correct. Kenny Ball was an interesting chap from England who added some Dixieland jazz to Russian tune and took this unusual instrumental all the way to # 2.

6 - "Tell Him" by The Exciters is correct. Even though they only had this one song break The Top 40, they actually had the original version of the Manfred Mann hit, "Do-Wah-Diddy reach #78 on charts prior to Manfred Mann taking the same song all the way to #1 later the same year (1964). I actually have a copy of The Exciters version of "Do Wah Diddy". It is included on an album I have called " Rock Classics, The Originals" It's 21 Rock classics that were all huge hits, but the album is the "original" recordings of the hits by earlier artists that failed to chart. One of my favorite albums, because it is so unique.

B Bevo also correct with " Smoky Places" by The Corsairs.Three brothers and a cousin from LaGrange, NC who all attended the same school, somehow got one lucky break and took "Smoky Places" all the way to #12, never to be heard from again basically. I know if was the DJ spinning stax of wax at an oldies dance I can see me playing "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", " Smokin' In The Boys Room" followed by " Smoky Places" just to get a reaction from all the ex-smokers in the room !

C "What's Your Name" is the song that has been driving Monclova Steve nuts for the last 48 hours. Well Bevo has come to the rescue by naming Don & Juan as the duo responsible for this classic. Monclova Steve I hope you are reading this buddy. 'Nuff said.

D."Alley Cat" by AARP favorite, Bent Fabric has been answered by Bevo. I swear over the last 2 or 3 years on the other site I think there has been about 37 posts involving Bent Fabric !!! One bizarre fact about this tune is that it won a Grammy for the best Rock N Roll Record in 1962.

Finally we come to the last unanswered question and that is Extra Credit A
the song "Percolator" Twist. The answer of Curtis Jones is incorrect. In fact I had never heard of Curtis Jones before this guess by Bevo.

So with Bevo correct on 5 of the 6 remaining questions we only have 1 question left and that is :

Extra Credit - A- The Percolator (Twist)

If no gets this last question by midnight tonite, I'll give the answer and start the 1963 Quiz.

JB
Old 08-31-16, 08:30 PM
All World

Quote:

Extra Credit - A- The Percolator (Twist)

If no gets this last question by midnight tonite, I'll give the answer and start the 1963 Quiz.

[/B]JB
I'll go with Billy Joe and The Checkmates for EC "A"

ROCK ON
Old 08-31-16, 08:50 PM
All American

Of course, ya all know I looked them all up! But I did recognize two of them: 6 and C.

Bring on '63; the end of an era as the Fabs were on the way!!
Old 08-31-16, 09:13 PM
All American

Quote:
I'll go with Billy Joe and The Checkmates for EC "A"

ROCK ON

OWK,

Excellent choice to go with, as it is the correct choice.

Another amazing rags to riches tale as a former comedian known as Lew Bedell decided to enter the music field and call himself Billy Joe Hunter. Using a xylophone he and his group created a sound that sounded like a coffee pot percolating in a Maxwell House Coffee TV commercial in the early 60's. Somehow the result took the catchy little tune all the way to #10 on the charts. I'm surprised someone didn't guess "Dennis Coffee & The Detroit Guitar Band" for this question. You might remember that group who had the hit "Scorpio" back in 1971. . .just kidding, I doubt if anyone remembers either Dennis Coffee or Scorpio from 45 years ago.

Good job everyone. I'll introduce the next installment of One Hit Wonders for the year 1963 later tonite.

The complete list of correct answers can be found on thread #461.

Could someone tell me how to bring that thread to the forefront, so you don't have to scroll all the way back 37 posts
to get to it ? Thanks

JB
Old 08-31-16, 09:48 PM
All World

Quote:
OWK,

Could someone tell me how to bring that thread to the forefront, so you don't have to scroll all the way back 37 posts
to get to it ? Thanks

JB
"JB" - Just go back to your latest update, in this case #461, click on "edit". Copy your update and then paste it to your most recent post. Like below:

1.Midnight In Moscow - Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen - Bevo
2. Stranger On The Shore-" Mr. Acker Bilk" - Monclova Steve
3. Bobby's Girl - Marcie Blane - OWK
4. Hey! Baby Bruce Channel - Bevo
5. Party Lights - Claudine Clark - OWK.
6. Tell Him - The Exciters Bevo
7. I Remember You- Frank Ifield - Monclova Steve
8. Love Letters -Ketty Lester - OWK
9. The Stripper- David Rose Orchestra - OWK
10. Let Me In- The Sensations - OWK
11. Telstar- The Tornadoes - Zunardo

Extra Credit:

A - Percolator (Twist) - Billy Joe & The Checkmates- OWK
B - Smoky Places - The Corsairs- Bevo
C - What's Your Name ? - Don & Juan = Bevo
D - Wolverton Mountain- Claude King - Zunardo
E - Johnny Get Angry - Joannie Sommers - Bevo
F - Alley Cat- Bent Fabric- Bevo

JB
Old 08-31-16, 10:56 PM
All American

Quote:
"JB" - Just go back to your latest update, in this case #461, click on "edit". Copy your update and then paste it to your most recent post. Like below:

1.Midnight In Moscow - Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen - Bevo
2. Stranger On The Shore-" Mr. Acker Bilk" - Monclova Steve
3. Bobby's Girl - Marcie Blane - OWK
4. Hey! Baby Bruce Channel - Bevo
5. Party Lights - Claudine Clark - OWK.
6. Tell Him - The Exciters Bevo
7. I Remember You- Frank Ifield - Monclova Steve
8. Love Letters -Ketty Lester - OWK
9. The Stripper- David Rose Orchestra - OWK
10. Let Me In- The Sensations - OWK
11. Telstar- The Tornadoes - Zunardo

Extra Credit:

A - Percolator (Twist) - Billy Joe & The Checkmates- OWK
B - Smoky Places - The Corsairs- Bevo
C - What's Your Name ? - Don & Juan = Bevo
D - Wolverton Mountain- Claude King - Zunardo
E - Johnny Get Angry - Joannie Sommers - Bevo
F - Alley Cat- Bent Fabric- Bevo

JB
Thanks OWK.
Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I'm back on track now.
Thanks for bringing the final results forward.

JB
Old 08-31-16, 11:24 PM
All American

OK, Great work in getting the 1962 "One Hit Wonders" music quiz completed.

Here is the 1963 version. Same rules apply. No googling til further notice. Everyone has 3 guesses max, for the first 24 hrs or until midnight Thursday night.

1. You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry - The Caravelles-OWK
2. Rhythm Of The Rain- The Cascades - OWK
3. Pipeline- The Chantays- Bevo
4. Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport- Rolf Harris - Bevo
5. Sally, Go Round The Roses- The Jaynetts - Bevo
6. Popsicles and Icicles - The Murmaids - OWK
7. Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto - OWK
8. Dominique- The Singing Nun - Zunardo
9. Loop De Loop- Johnny Thunder - Bevo
10 Washington Square - The Village Stompers - OWK
11 Wipe Out - The Surfaris - Monclova Steve

Extra Credit

A From A Jack To A King - Ned Miller - OWK
B Mr. Bass Man - Johnny Cymbal - Monclova Steve
C Killer Joe - The Rocky Fellers - OWK
D Hot Pastrami - The Dartells- Bevo
E Just One Look - Doris Troy - OWK
F Denise - Randy & The Rainbows - OWK
G Mockingbird- Inez Foxx - OWK
H Wonderful Summer- Robin Ward - OWK

Extra Extra Bonus Question:
The artist/group who is the answer to question B above also recorded another song under a completely different name in 1968 which actually charted higher than his 1963 hit. Name the 1968 song and what name the artist used to record this song. This "One Hit Wonder" has the distinction of having one charted hit in 1963 and one charted hit in 1968 each under a completely different name, but is the same person.
Correct answer: "Cinnamon" by Derek who was really Johnny Cymbal, answered byafwpatfire

The first 11 questions all were songs that charted no lower than # 4 on The Top 40.

The Extra Credit questions all were Top 40 hits but charted between #5 and #16.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 09-03-16 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 11:57 PM
All World

"JB" - You outdid yourself on this trivia quiz. This is really challenging. Here are my three guesses:

2. Rhythm Of The Rain, The Cascades
10. Washington Square, The Village Stompers
Extra-Credit "F" Denise, Randy and the Rainbows

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 09-01-16, 12:32 AM
All District

Kojack_00
Not sure what the hell happened but I you keep showing up on my stupid Tapatalk feed. I used to participate in this thread back before JJ went to pay to post...again. What a bad flashback to November 2010. But I'll keep replying since Yappi and Tapatalk thinks I should...haha. Oh and screw JJ or whatever it became.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-16, 06:19 AM
All American

#11. Wipe Out -- The Surfaris

With a contrived name like that severely limiting their horizons to surfing music, is it a wonder that they were a one-hit wonder?
Old 09-01-16, 06:46 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
8. The Flying Nun - pardon me, I meant "The Singing Nun"
Old 09-01-16, 07:22 AM
All American

3. Chantays
4. Rolf Harrison

Extra Credit D - The Dartells

Last edited by Bevo; 09-01-16 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-01-16, 08:47 AM
All American

We may have proven that with One Hit Wonders -- especially those from those days of yesteryear -- we either 1) recall them instantly, or 2) have seen or heard their name on a Time/Life infomercial or PBS fundraiser.
At least in my case, no number of clues (generously disbursed in the previous quiz by JB) will help recall the name of the artist.

Either that or my COPD has been playing hell with my gray matter.
Old 09-01-16, 10:03 AM
All American

Quote:
"JB" - You outdid yourself on this trivia quiz. This is really challenging. Here are my three guesses:

2. Rhythm Of The Rain, The Cascades
10. Washington Square, The Village Stompers
Extra-Credit "F" Denise, Randy and the Rainbows

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

Good way to start things off, you are a perfect 3 for 3 for '63.

2 "Rhythm of The Rain" by the appropriately named "Cascades".This catchy tune peaked at # 3. Seems like this song has been mentioned on nearly every trivia quiz we have had over the years. About the only thing interesting about this 5 man group was the fact 3 of the 5 members were named David.

10 " Washington Square" -The Village Stompers . This was an 8 man Dixieland jazz band from NYC. They played a lot in Greenwich Village ( which I thought was primarily a haven for folk music and poetry readings in coffee shops) instead of New Orleans style music. . .shows you what I know. They once performed as Frank Hubbell and the Hubcaps. Washington Square is the name of a large park in Greenwich Village. My mother, who absolutely loved Dixieland Jazz, thought this band was the "cat's pajamas" which was her seal of approval !

EC-F - "Denise" Randy & The Rainbows is correct. This was a white doo-wop group from Queens, NY who once called themselves Junior & The Counts. I just love some of the original band names of groups and I think that was a cooler name than Randy & The Rainbows, honestly. The New Wave band Blondie actually had their first British chart success with a song called "Denis" which was a remake of " Denise".

JB
Old 09-01-16, 10:18 AM
All American

Quote:
#11. Wipe Out -- The Surfaris

With a contrived name like that severely limiting their horizons to surfing music, is it a wonder that they were a one-hit wonder?
Monclova Steve,

11. "Wipe Out" - The Surfaris is correct. These California guys (imagine that) took "Wipe Out all the way to #2 in the summer of '63. "Surfer Joe" which reached #62 was supposed to be the single and "Wipe Out" was to be the flip side, but we all know how that turned out. "Wipe Out" was originally titled "Stiletto" but " Wipe Out" was decided as an afterthought.

Was there ever a garage band or bar band in the 1960"s that didn't have a drummer who didn't showcase his drumming ability by doing a 10 minute solo of "Wipe Out" at some point in the performance ?

You are very astute in your observation about a group called The Surfaris limiting their recording horizons to surf music. Can't see these boys doing any other genre.

JB
Old 09-01-16, 10:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
8. The Flying Nun - pardon me, I meant "The Singing Nun"

Zunardo is correct with The Singing Nun taking "Dominique" all the way to Number 1. Sister Luc-Gabrielle, born Janine Deckers, along with a chorus of 4 other nuns from a Belgium convent had released an album in Europe including the song " Dominique" as a ttribute to the founder of the Dominican order. As if by miracle the album and single went straight to the top and stayed there for weeks. The Singing Nun hit the big time when she appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. A movie called "The Singing Nun" with Debbie Reynolds was released in 1966 and was a huge flop.

The Singing Nun left the convent and embarked on a journey to continue her singing career and you will love this. . . she recorded a song called " Glory Be To God For The Golden Pill " The church, along with nearly everyone else who ever heard the recording hated it, regardless of their thoughts on the issue of birth control pills ! This does not have a happy ending as she and her
partner, Annie Pecher committed suicide in Belgium in 1985 via mass amounts of barbiturates with alcohol chasers. They had been despondent after a center for autistic children had been closed due to lack of funds and the Singing Nun owed a huge amount of back taxes to the Belgium government.

It is interesting to note that "Dominique" made it to #1 just about 2 weeks after the assassination of JFK and the country was probably ready for a non-rock song to top the Pop charts.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: