Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-16, 08:58 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
OWK,

I need the answer to #8. Who had the hit "Sailor" in 1960 ? It reached # 5 on the American Top 40 and I doubt if anyone in country would get this without doing some research. It is a toughie for sure. Here's a clue guaranteed not to help I'm sure. . . .The artist was female, born in Austria, and the song the very first record sung in German by a female artist to reach the Billboard Top 10.

JB
How about Lolita for #8...please!

ROCK ON
Old 08-30-16, 09:02 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Of course, we want part two! Just give us a shout out as to when it's coming.
Bevo,

I actually do have the next quiz finished,but in the meantime if anyone else has another trivia quiz ready to lust jump right in and I'll hold off until it's completed. I don't want to monopolize the music trivia format . We can always have a sports quiz and separate music quiz running at the same time, but 2 active quizzes for music, I believe would be too confusing for anyone.

We are one question shy of completing the 1960/1961 quiz and the next one in the hopper will be a 1962/1963 One Hit Wonder effort.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 09:02 AM
All World

Quote:
OWK, Yes, that is the correct answer, May have missed this particular post, but just submitted a post prior to this reply acknowledging your correct answer. Sorry.

JB
Never a problem, "JB". Heck, I've missed more posts that almost everyone else combined.

GREAT TRIVIA QUIZ and thanks for posting!

ROCK ON
Old 08-30-16, 09:04 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Lets finish this off

8. Lolita
I think that's it.

Two challenging quizzes in a row - great stuff.
Old 08-30-16, 09:25 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
How about Lolita for #8...please!

ROCK ON

Yes,Lolita is the correct answer for # 8 which completes the quiz.

That was a real toughie, how many Austrian born female vocalists can you name that had a song with German lyrics reach number 5 on the American Top 40 charts ? Excluding Lolita, it may be a very very short lis.,lol.

Good job everyone. I'll try to get the 1962/1963 quiz out yet today if possible

JB
Old 08-30-16, 09:40 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
While we have the lull, I wanted to acknowledge the passing of former Buckeye pitching great Steve Arlin. Arlin led the Bucks to their only NCAA baseball championship in 1966. Arlin, who was 70 at the time of his death, was 24-3 for the combined seasons of '65 and '66 and led OSU to the runner up spot in '65.
During his two tournament seasons Arlin pitched 47 innings, had 57 strikeouts and posted an era of 0.96. At a time when there were no radar guns Arlin's fastball, which also moved, was estimated at around 100 mphs.

He was the 13th player selected in the draft by the Phillies in '66 and pitched in six big league seasons, including spending some time with the Indians. If I am not mistaken, Arlin was a dentist.

First time I was ever aware of OSU baseball was when Steve Arlin was pitching for the Buckeyes.

rip - OSU pitching great, Steve Arlin

Last edited by Bevo; 08-30-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 10:00 AM
All American

Quote:
While we have the lull, I wanted to acknowledge the passing of former Buckeye pitching great Steve Arlin. Arlin led the Bucks to their only NCAA baseball championship in 1966. Arlin, who was 70, was 24-3 for the combined seasons of '65 and '66 and led OSU to the runner up spot in '65.
During his two tournament seasons Arlin pitched 47 innings, had 57 strikeouts and posted an era of 0.96. At a time when there were no radar guns Arlin's fastball, which also moved, was estimated at around 100 mphs.

He was the 13th player selected in the draft by the Phillies in '66 and pitched in six big league seasons, including spending some time with the Indians. If I am not mistaken, Arlin was a dentist.

First time I was ever aware of OSU baseball was when Steve Arlin was pitching for the Buckeyes.

rip - OSU pitching great, Steve Arlin
Thanks for posting this. I remember Steve Arlin since I was a student at OSU when he was pitching for the Buckeyes. Like you, I never had followed Buckeye baseball until that year they won the NCAA. I was strictly football and basketball only.

I read the website "Eleven Warriors" every day and they cover OSU in all sports quite well, but I don't remember seeing anything about his death on the website, but it's quite possible I simply missed it, but it was never on their headlines cover page I'm pretty sure.

My "Buckeye Sports Bulletin" newspaper just arrived yesterday and it had a very nice article n Steve Arlin's passing. Ironically, they just interviewed Steve last month for the July Interview special issue. Of course with him being a Lima guy and Lima Shawnee grad he received quite a bit of coverage here in The Lima News and on local tv and radio. Too sad.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 10:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Bevo,
I don't want to monopolize the music trivia format . We can always have a sports quiz and separate music quiz running at the same time, but 2 active quizzes for music, I believe would be too confusing for anyone.
JB
"JB" - Don't you or anyone else worry about monopolizing any trivia quizzes. The more the merrier.

ROCK ON!
Old 08-30-16, 11:13 AM
Freshman

GWOCfootballscout888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I remember Steve Arlin since I was a student at OSU when he was pitching for the Buckeyes. Like you, I never had followed Buckeye baseball until that year they won the NCAA. I was strictly football and basketball only.

I read the website "Eleven Warriors" every day and they cover OSU in all sports quite well, but I don't remember seeing anything about his death on the website, but it's quite possible I simply missed it, but it was never on their headlines cover page I'm pretty sure.

My "Buckeye Sports Bulletin" newspaper just arrived yesterday and it had a very nice article n Steve Arlin's passing. Ironically, they just interviewed Steve last month for the July Interview special issue. Of course with him being a Lima guy and Lima Shawnee grad he received quite a bit of coverage here in The Lima News and on local tv and radio. Too sad.

JB
Interesting...
Old 08-30-16, 12:34 PM
All American

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOCfootballscout888 View Post
Interesting...
GWOCfootballscout888,

Welcome to the "AARP Boys & Diva". Glad to have you drop by.

I believe you may hold the record for the longest username and the shortest post, lol.

Stop back anytime.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 01:03 PM
All American

OK AARPSTERS here is Part 2 of the "One Hit Wonders" Trivia quiz. Same rules as before. . .No Googling until further notice and 3 guesses max for the first 24 hours or so. We'll see how this one goes and adjust as necessary.

The first quiz which was completed earlier today had 18 questions covering the years of 1960 and 1961. Since this new quiz is covering the years 1962 and 1963 and each year has 11 questions, I have decided to post each year as an individual quiz. Hopefully, this will be easier to keep track of and go more quickly than my first venture. So with that in mind here are the first 11 questions in the new quiz and some extra credit ones as well.

All of these songs and extra credit ones pertain just to the year of 1962. Now remember this key fact. . . every correct answer will be by an artist or band that only had one hit make the Top 40 Bill Board Magazine chart in the U.S.
Good Luck.

1.Midnight In Moscow - Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen - Bevo
2. Stranger On The Shore-" Mr. Acker Bilk" - Monclova Steve
3. Bobby's Girl - Marcie Blane - OWK
4. Hey! Baby Bruce Channel - Bevo
5. Party Lights - Claudine Clark - OWK.
6. Tell Him - The Exciters Bevo
7. I Remember You- Frank Ifield - Monclova Steve
8. Love Letters -]B] Ketty Lester - OWK[/B]
9. The Stripper- David Rose Orchestra - OWK
10. Let Me In- The Sensations - OWK
11. Telstar- The Tornadoes - Zunardo

Extra Credit:

A - Percolator (Twist) - Billy Joe & The Checkmates- OWK
B - Smoky Places - The Corsairs- Bevo
C - What's Your Name ? - Don & Juan = Bevo
D - Wolverton Mountain- Claude King - Zunardo
E - Johnny Get Angry - Joannie Sommers - Bevo
F - Alley Cat- Bent Fabric- Bevo

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 08-31-16 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 01:07 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
While we have the lull, I wanted to acknowledge the passing of former Buckeye pitching great Steve Arlin. Arlin led the Bucks to their only NCAA baseball championship in 1966. Arlin, who was 70, was 24-3 for the combined seasons of '65 and '66 and led OSU to the runner up spot in '65.
Damn, that's crazy he was a 24-3 at 70 years old. Wild he lived to be 121.
Old 08-30-16, 01:22 PM
All American

2. Andy Williams?

11. The Tornados

I had the 45 record for Telstar when I was little. Got my first record player for my fourth birthday, and my parents gave me the record not long after because they knew I liked the Jetsons and "outer space" sounds. If I remember correctly, the flip side was their version of "The Lonely Bull".
Old 08-30-16, 01:35 PM
All American

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Underwood View Post
Damn, that's crazy he was a 24-3 at 70 years old. Wild he lived to be 121.
Yes, Frank that was crazy and just think he lost a no-hitter to the Phillies with two outs in the 9th inning when he was 76 years old. Nothing gets by you.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 01:49 PM
All American

(Some clarification has been provided to the Steve Arlin comment by me.)

4. Bruce Chandler
11. The Tornadoes
E. Joannie Sommers
Old 08-30-16, 01:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
2. Andy Williams?

11. The Tornados

I had the 45 record for Telstar when I was little. Got my first record player for my fourth birthday, and my parents gave me the record not long after because they knew I liked the Jetsons and "outer space" sounds. If I remember correctly, the flip side was their version of "The Lonely Bull".
Zunardo,

I have good news and bad news. . . .#11 The Tornadoes did have the hit "Telstar" and your birthday helped the single climb all the way to the top of the American Top 40 Chart, that is the good news !

The bad news is that Andy Williams had a recording of "Stranger On The Shore" hit the charts in 1962 at #38, but Andy also had 26 other songs reach the Top 40 which rules him out as a One Hit Wonder. I have to admit this surprises me since the version of "Stranger On The Shore" I am familiar with is an instrumental and Andy Williams is of course a vocalist only ( I thought).
The version I am looking for went all the way to #1 and actually was the very first song by a British artist to ever reach #1 on American Top 40 Chart even preceding the Beatles. The Tornadoes were the first British group to make it to #1 on American charts.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 01:59 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
#2. Acker Bilk (did I spell that right?).
It's almost certainly the only hit ever (well, since the 20's or 30's) that was a clarinet solo. I didn't appreciate that much when I was 11, but I did as the years have gone by.

#7. Frank Ifield
I only remember this song -- and him -- by the way he kinda yodeled when he sang the word "You". It was more like "You-u". Maybe you just had to be there? I guess his little trick caught on, eh.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 08-30-16 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-30-16, 02:01 PM
All World

Another great "One-Hit Wonder" trivia quiz:

2. Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk
9. The Stripper - Dave Rose Orchestra
10. Let Me In - The Sensations

Oops, Monclova Steve beat me to the punch with Mr. Acker Bilk while I was posting. I'll substitute:

#5. "Party Lights" -Claudine Clark

JB - I could be wrong, but I think that "Telestar" by The Tornados was the first #1 song in the USA by a British GROUP. You be the man, so give me your thoughts. Thx!

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-30-16, 02:09 PM
All American

#3 Was Shelly Fabares "Bobbie's Girl"? Well, she may have sung the song but I think she only wanted to be Bobbie's Girl. Alas, unrequited young love.
Old 08-30-16, 02:14 PM
All American

Sorry, OWK. I'm like a blind squirrel with some of these quizzes; and one of my two times a day to be correct just had to come 2 minutes before your post.

I feel confident, though, that you will remain far superior to myself in answering these quizzes so generously brought by JB.
Old 08-30-16, 02:14 PM
All American

My brain just kicked in:

Extra Credit D - Claude King

I've seen those commercials for "Country's Greatest Hits" so many times, I oughta remember that one.
Old 08-30-16, 02:22 PM
All American

"What's your Name? is driving me bananas. I can literally hear the entire song, sing along with all the words -- including the DoobeDoBobDaDa at the end.........BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO SANG THE DANG SONG!!!!!

What's worse is that, when someone names him, I probably won't remember him at all.
Old 08-30-16, 02:44 PM
All American

Quote:
(Some clarification has been provided to the Steve Arlin comment by me.)

4. Bruce Chandler
11. The Tornadoes
E. Joannie Sommers
Bevo,

I believe everyone knew what you meant re: Steve Arlin except the resident jokester, Frank Underwood.

4 You are extremely close with your answer of Bruce Chandler. The first name is correct and the last name is very,very close.

11 The Tornadoes is correct, but Zunardo beat you to the punch

E. Yes, Joannie Sommers is correct. I thought that might be a toughie, but you nailed it out of the chute. Nice work. Did you remember her as "The Pepsi Girl" in the early 60's ? She was designated in an ad campaign for the "Pepsi Generation for those who think young."

JB
Old 08-30-16, 02:49 PM
All American

Bruce Channel?
Old 08-30-16, 03:00 PM
Cooling Off

Correct someone's grammar and suddenly you're a resident jokester.
Old 08-30-16, 03:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Another great "One-Hit Wonder" trivia quiz:

2. Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk
9. The Stripper - Dave Rose Orchestra
10. Let Me In - The Sensations

Oops, Monclova Steve beat me to the punch with Mr. Acker Bilk while I was posting. I'll substitute:

#5. "Party Lights" -Claudine Clark

JB - I could be wrong, but I think that "Telestar" by The Tornados was the first #1 song in the USA by a British GROUP. You be the man, so give me your thoughts. Thx!

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

Yep, Monclova Steve is all over the Mr Ackerbilk question

9. David Rose is correct for "The Stripper"

10" Let Me In" (We-oop, We-oop, Oop- We ooh) was done by The Sensations

5 "Party Light"was a hit by Claudine Clark, good job.

You are correct about The Tornadoes and Acker Bilk, one was first artist and other first group to hit #1 in America. I already addressed that in an earlier post this afternoon.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 03:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Underwood View Post
Correct someone's grammar and suddenly you're a resident jokester.
My mistake. If you correct someone's grammar you are the Grammar Police and not the resident jokester.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 03:12 PM
Cooling Off

You're god damn right.
Old 08-30-16, 03:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Bruce Channel?
Yes, Bruce Channel is correct.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 03:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
#2. Acker Bilk (did I spell that right?).
It's almost certainly the only hit ever (well, since the 20's or 30's) that was a clarinet solo. I didn't appreciate that much when I was 11, but I did as the years have gone by.

#7. Frank Ifield
I only remember this song -- and him -- by the way he kinda yodeled when he sang the word "You". It was more like "You-u". Maybe you just had to be there? I guess his little trick caught on, eh.
2 Acker Bilk is indeed correct and he usually was referred to as Mr. Acker Bilk

7 Frank Ifield is on the money and you even have his unique form of singing/yodeling down. Very good. You are on a hot streak today for sure.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: