Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-19-17, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Big one tomorrow at Mentor as the Cards host Cornerstone. Looking forward to seeing this one. Bothwell is a heckuva player, the best guard Mentor will play all season. Mentor's depth 1-10 is better than Cornerstone, but CCA's top two guards (Bothwell and McQueen) will be tough to match up with. Should be fun.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...tseason-tuneup
Old 02-19-17, 09:18 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the Cards at home. I will be there to check it out.
Old 02-20-17, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

Mentor wins 92-90

The most exciting and intense regular season game I have seen at Mentor since a big OT thriller against St Eds around 2010 or 2011. It was a well played game all around. You can say neither team played defense in a 92-90 game, but I would say it was average defense, excellent offense, and a face paced game with lots of three-pointers and free throws. Some of my takeaways:

*Michael Bothwell (CCA) is the best player Mentor has seen this year. Considering the studs at Jackson as well as Solon's Sincere Carry, that is saying a lot. Bothwell is the high school equivalent of James Harden. Great outside shot. Draws lots of fouls. Good foul shooter. Strong finisher in the paint...he had four "and-ones" on layups. Bothwell had 39 points. Like Harden, not a natural PG. He is a nearly unstoppable two guard.

*Jack Korsok was the man for Mentor tonight. He pretty much kept pace with Bothwell all night. Like Bothwell, he was piling up points behind the arc, in the paint, and at the free throw line. Korsok finished with 35 I believe. To be honest, Korsok hasn't stood out as a defensive stopper this year. He did an admirable job on Bothwell in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. Great game on a night where it was needed.

*I feel bad for DIV plain and simple. This is not a recruiting comment at all...CCA is just not fair. Their two best players (Bothwell and McQueen) have families that bought into the Christian education and environment at CCA from kindergarten. Bothwell would look really nice at VASJ, SVSM, St Edward, etc. But he stayed. Good for CCA. He is a difference maker. I know CCA has a tough potential/probable regional final with Lutheran East. Besides that game, I have to believe CCA is at least a 15-20 point favorite in every remaining game. Want to see the DIV state championship? Go to Canton for the regional final.

*CCA got off to a huge 14-2 start. McQueen hit two three pointers in the opening minute. Bothwell hit a three and a traditional three-point play. All momentum on their side. Mentor slowly wore them down. After that early surge, McQueen was mostly taken out of the game. He finished with 16, but about half of that was in the first couple of minutes. Some of that was probably due to allowing Bothwell to do his thing. Some of that was probably due to his size limiting him against a bigger/stronger Mentor bunch. Besides taking some open threes, McQueen didn't have much impact on the game.

*Trubisky continued his hot shooting by hitting some big threes. Kryz was very efficient from three as well. Mentor got pretty hot for a stretch in the second quarter. That was a big one for Mentor as they scored 32. Trubisky had 19 points before fouling out. Probably hit 4 or 5 three-pointers.

*Cornerstone fought hard until the very end. When Bothwell took that last three with 5 seconds or so left and CCA down two, I thought for sure it was going in. Mentor got the rebound, but then a quick jump ball was called - giving CCA one last shot. Surprisingly, Mentor was able to keep the ball out of Bothwell's hands on the last play. McQueen got it, drove to the lane, but was met by the long arms of 6'8 Xavier Cheek for the block to win the game.

*That last jump ball call was terrible. Nearly cost Mentor the game. Thankfully, Mentor held on.
Old 02-20-17, 10:12 PM
All World

Very in depth and accurate Cardzfan. I will add one thing you failed to mention - the officials. Nobody likes excuses, but this crew was equally poor all night for both sides. The refs really effected Coach K's rotation. The jump ball at the end was a joke. It happened right in front of me. Horrible call that potentially could have cost Mentor the game. I think CCA beats LE. I have seen both play a few times and CCA is the better TEAM and by far have the best player in Bothwell. Harden is a great comparison by the way.
Old 02-21-17, 09:09 PM
All District

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
Korsok

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Mentor wins 92-90

The most exciting and intense regular season game I have seen at Mentor since a big OT thriller against St Eds around 2010 or 2011. It was a well played game all around. You can say neither team played defense in a 92-90 game, but I would say it was average defense, excellent offense, and a face paced game with lots of three-pointers and free throws. Some of my takeaways:

*Michael Bothwell (CCA) is the best player Mentor has seen this year. Considering the studs at Jackson as well as Solon's Sincere Carry, that is saying a lot. Bothwell is the high school equivalent of James Harden. Great outside shot. Draws lots of fouls. Good foul shooter. Strong finisher in the paint...he had four "and-ones" on layups. Bothwell had 39 points. Like Harden, not a natural PG. He is a nearly unstoppable two guard.

*Jack Korsok was the man for Mentor tonight. He pretty much kept pace with Bothwell all night. Like Bothwell, he was piling up points behind the arc, in the paint, and at the free throw line. Korsok finished with 35 I believe. To be honest, Korsok hasn't stood out as a defensive stopper this year. He did an admirable job on Bothwell in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. Great game on a night where it was needed.

*I feel bad for DIV plain and simple. This is not a recruiting comment at all...CCA is just not fair. Their two best players (Bothwell and McQueen) have families that bought into the Christian education and environment at CCA from kindergarten. Bothwell would look really nice at VASJ, SVSM, St Edward, etc. But he stayed. Good for CCA. He is a difference maker. I know CCA has a tough potential/probable regional final with Lutheran East. Besides that game, I have to believe CCA is at least a 15-20 point favorite in every remaining game. Want to see the DIV state championship? Go to Canton for the regional final.

*CCA got off to a huge 14-2 start. McQueen hit two three pointers in the opening minute. Bothwell hit a three and a traditional three-point play. All momentum on their side. Mentor slowly wore them down. After that early surge, McQueen was mostly taken out of the game. He finished with 16, but about half of that was in the first couple of minutes. Some of that was probably due to allowing Bothwell to do his thing. Some of that was probably due to his size limiting him against a bigger/stronger Mentor bunch. Besides taking some open threes, McQueen didn't have much impact on the game.

*Trubisky continued his hot shooting by hitting some big threes. Kryz was very efficient from three as well. Mentor got pretty hot for a stretch in the second quarter. That was a big one for Mentor as they scored 32. Trubisky had 19 points before fouling out. Probably hit 4 or 5 three-pointers.

*Cornerstone fought hard until the very end. When Bothwell took that last three with 5 seconds or so left and CCA down two, I thought for sure it was going in. Mentor got the rebound, but then a quick jump ball was called - giving CCA one last shot. Surprisingly, Mentor was able to keep the ball out of Bothwell's hands on the last play. McQueen got it, drove to the lane, but was met by the long arms of 6'8 Xavier Cheek for the block to win the game.

*That last jump ball call was terrible. Nearly cost Mentor the game. Thankfully, Mentor held on.
Talking with a parent, we thought 11 (Trubisky) was as good as 5 (Korsok). Man we were wrong. We "think" we have two pretty good on ball defenders but he shreaded both of them. Was that a typical performance? I know CCA lacks a rim protector.
Old 02-21-17, 09:37 PM
All World

When he is on he is on. I think he made like 8 3s in a row earlier this year against Euclid. He is the player you need to stop first but Mentor has several kids who can shoot the 3. Mentor's issue is surprisingly defense and teams with height. In years past if Mentor scored 92 points they destroyed the team they were playing - not this year.
Old 02-23-17, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have to say that Mentor has officially hit a rough patch. After starting the season 9-1, Mentor has gone 2-4 since. Those two wins are against the bottom of the GCC (Strongsville and Euclid). One of those losses was a 40+ beatdown. Another was last night against VASJ. The other two were against solid GCC teams (Solon/Brunswick) that Mentor beat the first time. I agree with Bball216 that this Mentor team is lacking something.
Since this rough patch I posted about a couple weeks ago, Mentor has gone 4-0. Four straight home wins over Shaker, Glenville, Elyria, and Cornerstone are a great way to turn things around before the tournament. If they can finish off the regular season with a win at Medina (and winning the league), that will be a great way to go into the tournament. Medina has lost a few in a row, so it will be interesting to see how much momentum factors into the showdown.

In order for Mentor to beat the good teams, they need a big time performance out of Korsok. It also makes a big difference now that Trubisky is starting to become a very dependable scorer.

I won't be going to Medina, but I do plan to check out Mentor against SPIRE and the 7'7 phenom. That will be interesting. Anybody have info on SPIRE's team?
Old 02-23-17, 06:14 PM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Reagardless of how this season ends, I think Mentor has done a super job of winning as many games as they have this season. With no superstars or exceptional players, they have overachieved as they normally do year after year. Credit the coaching staff & the players buying into the system, they again perform above expectations. Hat s off to another season of thrills & excitement throughout the season. The big question is: how long will Coach K stay at Mentor?
Old 02-25-17, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...-win-in-medina

Mentor wins a share of the GCC with last night's 77-60 win over Medina. Trubisky led the team in scoring again with 18. Korsok had 16. One more game tonight before tournament play begins.
Old 02-25-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Spire not a good team At all lost to Bedford.
Old 02-25-17, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...-win-in-medina

Mentor wins a share of the GCC with last night's 77-60 win over Medina. Trubisky led the team in scoring again with 18. Korsok had 16. One more game tonight before tournament play begins.
Congratulations to Mentor for winning a share of the league title. If the Comets had held on to beat Elyria, the Cards would have won the title outright. Solon really needed a big man last night.
Old 02-26-17, 01:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm going to make a bold prediction: 16-17 wins, a league title, and a district title. The one I care about most is obviously the district title, something the Cards haven't won since the state championship season (2013). I think Korsok will have a Jeff Foreman-like senior transformation, maybe score a little more than Foreman did. The rest of the team has some nice players, but not the kind that the state title team had. The group is not big, but definitely better size than last year. That should help as they try to step up the defensive pressure and finish at the hoop.
My pre-season predictions:

*16 or 17 wins (Mentor finished 17-5)
*GCC title (Mentor was co-league champs with Elyria)
*District title (TBD...hopefully this one works out like the first two)

As for my thoughts on Korsok, I would say he met my expectations. Some games (like Cornerstone), he definitely exceeded those expectations. His jump as a senior did remind me a bit of how Jeff Foreman did the same thing in 2012-13. Korsok isn't quite the facilitator that Foreman became as a senior, but he has been a big time scorer that this team has lacked in some time.
Old 03-02-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...tseason-charge

The News-Herald did a nice feature on four of the teams in their coverage area that all have a reasonable (or better) shot of winning their district and being contenders to make it to Columbus. Benedictine (DII), VASJ (DIII), and Cornerstone (DIV) were the others in the series. Of the four, Mentor will be the most surprising to advance to Columbus. IMO, it will only require one significant upset (regional semifinal against Ignatius/Eds) to get there. Mentor would be a pick'em at worst (and a favorite at best) in their other potential matchups with Brush, Solon, Cleveland Heights at districts as well as potential regional final games (Garfield Heights, WGH, Lake, or Ellet).

Per the article, they list the top reason Mentor can advance far is due to their backcourt of Korsok and Trubisky. I agree that is going to be a big part of it. It is a given that Mentor will need 35 points+ a night combined from those two to beat the good teams. What the others can give will be the difference maker. Koski, Tatarunas, Kryz, Zalba, and even Cheek are all capable double digit scorers with the right opponent. Getting 2-3 of those guys going in the big games will be the difference between winning or losing the district.

Critical statistic from the article: Mentor is 15-1 when scoring at least 70 points in the regular season. They were just 2-4 when scoring less than 70. Clearly this team needs to dictate pace and get the score in the 70's/80's. While I think the defense has potential to get big stops, they need to be clicking offensively.

Due to the talented opponent awaiting in the regional semifinal (Ignatius or Eds), the district title is the most realistic ceiling for this group. It would be great to watch Mentor cut down the nets at Euclid after the past three years of falling short. Krizancic's teams haven't had this long of a district title drought since the 90's.
Old 03-05-17, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...-off-the-court

Mentor had a busy weekend...scouting two games on Saturday and playing an afternoon game today. Mayfield was no match at all for Mentor. I don't know if they would beat Mentor's JV team. The final score was 82-39. Many guys played and scored today. Two easy wins at home to start the tournament. But it gets a LOT tougher from here.

Looking forward to getting back to Euclid on Thursday. I didn't see the first game with Glenville, so I can only go by reading the game summary. Based on that game and from what I have read about both Glenville/Brush, I feel like Mentor is fortunate to get the Tarblooders instead of the Arcs. But what do I know?

Lots of big time recent history between Mentor and Glenville during the 2000's (in football as well as basketball). Every basketball tournament and football playoff game these two have played since 2001 has been pretty epic.
Old 03-07-17, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

Mentor has faced Glenville at the Euclid district final three times from 2001-2008. I attended all of those games. The first two (2001 and 2006) were especially exciting. In 2001, Mentor won an overtime thriller (83-82). Euclid was packed that night. Thursday's game will be less than half full I am sure.

In 2006, sophomore Joey Meyer hit a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat the Tarblooders 68-67. Two years later, Scott Branchick led Mentor to a grind-it-out 57-50 win for the third district final win in eight seasons over Glenville.

What to expect on Thursday? I don't know. I wasn't at the regular season game last month in which Mentor won, 62-39. Glenville scored a measly nine second half points. The game was clearly at a pretty slower-than-expected pace. The article says Glenville played a zone, which would explain for the slower pace. Mentor likes to run. Based on what I read about the Glenville/Brush game, these Tarblooders definitely like to play fast. They put up 92 on Brush with the help of a full-court pressure defense. I have to believe that the win over Brush was Glenville's best game of the season. Not many quality wins on their schedule.

6'4 senior Reggie Holmes lead Glenville with 24 against Brush. Most of the other key players on the team are juniors.
Old 03-10-17, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

Senior guard Jack Korsok had a legendary tournament game last night. His 37 points last night was up there with any of the great performances of All-Ohio guards in Mentor's past: Zienkowski, May, Meyer, Cole Krizancic, Justin Fritts, etc. I had a feeling Cole had a big game in a big moment and a quick Google search found me some evidence. In 2011 district final against Brush, Cole scored 41 points in a 76-67 win at Euclid.
Old 03-14-17, 07:10 AM
All Yappi

Belated congratulations to Jack Korsok for being named to the 1st team All-District. Only six players are on the list, so it is a high honor. Jack is the first Mentor player since 2012 (Justin Fritts' Mr. Basketball season) to make that distinction. Trubisky and Tatarunas were honorable mention.

Also a shout-out to Coach Krizancic for winning his 400th game with Mentor. I'm not sure on his overall total, but it is getting close to 600.

Edit: I did some research. At the end of 2013-14, a News-Herald article said he had 543 career wins. The following three seasons, Mentor has won 15, 15, and 21 (so far) games. That adds up to 594 career wins. The article from 2014 also said he had 348 wins at Mentor. If you add 51 to that, the math said 399 wins at Mentor. So I'm not sure what is true.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 03-14-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

For Mentor, the goal is a state championship - so I would be selling them short to say they completely reached their goal for this season. But they did accomplish quite a bit.

**17 wins in the regular season in a tough league that also featured some strong out of conference opponents (Cornerstone, VASJ, Jackson, Glenville).

**The win over Cornerstone was the highlight of the regular season.

**Winning the GCC was quite a feat considering how deep the league was

**Winning the Euclid district, the toughest and deepest it has been in many years, was a big accomplishment. They put together their best performance of the season when it mattered most in the district final.

**Individually, Jack Korsok had a fantastic season. Averaged 21 points a game and was 1st-team All-District. He will likely be a 2nd or 3rd team All-State player. Korsok's highlights of the season were the 37 points he scored against Glenville in the district semi-final, setting the single game record at Mentor for three-pointers in a game in a win at Euclid, and the way he went toe-to-toe with Cornerstone's Michael Bothwell. Korsok will not be remembered at the level of some recent top notch guards (namely Krizancic and Fritts) - but he had a great senior season and nice career.