Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-14, 12:42 PM
All District

Carr45 is on a distinguished road
2014 Northeastern Buckeye Conference

Last years records.

1. Louisville 10-1 (7-0)
2. Marlington 8-3 (6-1)
3. Minerva 6-4 (4-3)
4. Alliance 5-5 (4-3)
5. Canton South 6-4 (3-4)
6. Carrollton 4-6 (2-5)
7. Salem 3-7 (1-6)
8. West Branch 1-9 (1-6)

2013 Playoff teams
Louisville fell to Aurora 24-21
Marlington fell to Hubbard 42-14

POTY Shawn Kirk QB/K Marlington
COTY John DeMarco Louisville

Lets kick off with congratulating former Carrollton Captain AJ Dalton on signing a UDFA contract with the Detroit Lions.

Also former Marlington star Alden Hill is transferring from Tennessee to James Madison. The Dukes play in the FCS and in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Thoughts on the upcoming season?

Which teams will be in the title hunt and possibly a deep playoff run?

Who has who coming back this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 02:53 PM
All Ohio

LepsLB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr45 View Post
Last years records.

1. Louisville 10-1 (7-0)
2. Marlington 8-3 (6-1)
3. Minerva 6-4 (4-3)
4. Alliance 5-5 (4-3)
5. Canton South 6-4 (3-4)
6. Carrollton 4-6 (2-5)
7. Salem 3-7 (1-6)
8. West Branch 1-9 (1-6)

2013 Playoff teams
Louisville fell to Aurora 24-21
Marlington fell to Hubbard 42-14

POTY Shawn Kirk QB/K Marlington
COTY John DeMarco Louisville

Lets kick off with congratulating former Carrollton Captain AJ Dalton on signing a UDFA contract with the Detroit Lions.

Also former Marlington star Alden Hill is transferring from Tennessee to James Madison. The Dukes play in the FCS and in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Thoughts on the upcoming season?

Which teams will be in the title hunt and possibly a deep playoff run?

Who has who coming back this year?
Isn't James Madison the school that former UNC HC and Ohio State Co-DC Everett Withers just took over at?
Old 05-16-14, 09:26 AM
All District

dukes1986 is on a distinguished road
You would be correct Leps
Old 05-17-14, 10:24 AM
All American

nightmare is on a distinguished road
Here's my projection for the top two teams for the foreseeable future:

1) Louisville-lots of tradition, plenty of talent and the largest enrollment by alot
2) Marlington-Miley has built a program, plenty of talent, 2nd largest enrollment

The rest of the NBC will have a difficult time competing with these two teams year in and year out until their enrollments grow considerably.
Old 05-18-14, 12:26 AM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
What has happen to the Branch? two years ago they win the title after practically rebuilding the program back up, and last year completely fell off the spectrum. Any WB posters on here?
Old 05-18-14, 02:05 PM
All District

From what was said last year, there was(is?) a lot of internal struggles at WB, more support for Soccer stuff like.

Miley has done a great job at Marlington but how long before another school can pull him away?

Louisville will be Louisville,, a lot of tradition and community support plus the kids to compete

Minerva can compete but I know they have a slowly but surely shrinking enrollment. Community support and tradition only go so far

Canton South is an up/down experience. They have years when they are in the playoff hunt and other years they struggle but can't remember a team that didn't compete.

Alliance has the talent, but for some reason can't pull it together they have the size but the community support isn't as great.

Salem, talk from the Quaker City of wanting out of the NBC but they have the coach to turn it around. Like Salem in the NBC but they need to step it up, few years ago with Toothman they would've competed.

And now my honest and little biased opinion on Carrollton.
The new coaching staff showed its youth last year as did the team. I feel Carrollton has the chance to compete every year as long as the numbers continue to grow. The community support will hopefully continue to grow as the town itself grows.
Old 05-18-14, 02:37 PM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
From what was said last year, there was(is?) a lot of internal struggles at WB, more support for Soccer stuff like.

Miley has done a great job at Marlington but how long before another school can pull him away?

Louisville will be Louisville,, a lot of tradition and community support plus the kids to compete

Minerva can compete but I know they have a slowly but surely shrinking enrollment. Community support and tradition only go so far

Canton South is an up/down experience. They have years when they are in the playoff hunt and other years they struggle but can't remember a team that didn't compete.

Alliance has the talent, but for some reason can't pull it together they have the size but the community support isn't as great.

Salem, talk from the Quaker City of wanting out of the NBC but they have the coach to turn it around. Like Salem in the NBC but they need to step it up, few years ago with Toothman they would've competed.

The new coaching staff showed its youth last year as did the team. I feel Carrollton has the chance to compete every year as long as the numbers continue to grow. The community support will hopefully continue to grow as the town itself grows.
Thank you! Salem to the ITCL Upper Tier with D5's C-view, United and East Palestine.
Old 05-19-14, 08:34 PM
All District

Well Northwest is still searching for a home after the Suburban League announces they will not expand. If Salem ever left do you think the NBC would take Northwest back?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...sEnabled=false
Old 05-20-14, 11:44 AM
All District

TheBranch79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

WB has major issues in football. It has been an uphill battle with some of the coaching hirers, internal problems and other sports making improvements taking players away from football. In all honesty, I don't know how they will be able to get it back.

It has saddened me to see the fall of the program and attendance at games has continued to drop. Young boys aren't growing up with Warrior idols like they were in the mid 90's and Louisville and Marlington continues to churn them out.

In recent years, Louisville has made a state title push, undefeated seasons, D1 players and a new stadium and a great feeder program.

Marlington has made a state push, 3 division 1 players, 1 who you can watch play every Saturday at Michigan.

Those programs have idols that kids want to grow up and be. Not sure how long Miley will be there, have heard rumors of his leaving but no concrete facts.

Just sad!

Louisville
Marlington
Minerva
Carrollton
South
Alliance
Salem
Old 05-20-14, 03:22 PM
All American

dig it is on a distinguished road
Branch79, Carrollton also has produced some players that the young ones could look up to...2010 grad AJ Dalton and 2011 grad John Lowdermilk. Lowdermilk started every game for Iowa last year and is the leading tackler returning this year for the Hawkeyes. AJ, as mentioned above, is getting his chance with the Detroit Lions.

Does anybody have a list of NBC graduates who have at least received an invite to an NFL camp? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure there have been some.
Old 05-20-14, 04:05 PM
All District

TheBranch79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
Branch79, Carrollton also has produced some players that the young ones could look up to...2010 grad AJ Dalton and 2011 grad John Lowdermilk. Lowdermilk started every game for Iowa last year and is the leading tackler returning this year for the Hawkeyes. AJ, as mentioned above, is getting his chance with the Detroit Lions.

Does anybody have a list of NBC graduates who have at least received an invite to an NFL camp? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure there have been some.
I agree they have, just throwing out there some of the top teams in recent years. That is the reason why carrollton is always a threat and WB struggles....Just my opinion of course
Old 05-20-14, 04:08 PM
Varsity

xxbadguy is on a distinguished road
Yet Dota is 3-0 vs Carrolton.
Old 05-20-14, 04:33 PM
All District

A school may struggle even if it has D1 guys on its team, this league is no exception. Since we are on discussion, any Branch posters know what happened to Brandon Ferguson?
Old 05-20-14, 09:50 PM
All Region

basselope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well Northwest is still searching for a home after the Suburban League announces they will not expand. If Salem ever left do you think the NBC would take Northwest back?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...sEnabled=false

Would love to have NW back in the NBC.
Old 05-21-14, 10:51 AM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

45 Minerva's enrollment is really not shrinking but just not growing and probably won't grow substantially at all. The 7th grade class for Minerva is pretty big for us with 180 kids. I think with Minerva this year our Wing-T offense will be the question. Our line will be young but as Mav stated in the Minerva thread a lot of the kids got playing time with Hopple, Butler and various injuries we experienced last year. Numbers will always be an issue for the Lions but from what I understand Minerva has no interest in leaving the NBC. I have made my peace with it and except being the little guy in the league. D4 R11 should be good for us and hopefully a playoff shot will come this year. I think Minerva as a community supporting the turf and other projects still speaks loud that we are a football town. Speaking of Carrollton growing it seems so congested over there as I do a lot in Carrollton with the Vet, Doctors and various other family functions, I am glad Minerva is not growing and would lose my love for this town if it was moving fast forward like Carrollton is. Carrollton doesn't have the same small town feel to it anymore and you would have to agree with that. Good luck to the Warriors in 2014!

Last edited by Lion 86; 05-21-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 11:52 AM
All District

BACisBack is on a distinguished road
How many teams didn't have freshmen teams last year and how many didn't have enough to field a JV team every week? I know Louisville was scrambling to find teams to play at those levels.

Alliance - I know they lost a lot this past year, most of their skilled players are gone, so I would guess they will be down this year.

Canton South - They didn't have a freshmen team last year and didn't have a large team last year so I am looking for south to improve slightly, because of younger

Carrolton - With it growing like it is, who knows how many kids they will have on their team this year. I would guess they would improve over last year.

Louisville - Lost a lot of seniors, QB and TB are back on O and maybe two linemen. Defense is going to have a lot of new kids on it as well.

Maringlton - Not sure about the dukes, quality coach and it seems like they are getting more and more kids out every year.

Minerva - A few players away from being a really solid team, if they stay healthy that can make a huge difference.

Salem - Do not know much about, no where really to go but up.

West Branch - I would like to see them back in the top 3 again, but after last year there is just no way.
Old 05-21-14, 03:57 PM
All District

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
West Branch May Surprise A Lot Of People This Fall. The Injuries Sustained To There Key Positions Prior To The Season Opening Defiantly Stunted The Team. The Fact The Only 3 Seniors Actually Played Was A Major Set Back. I Believe There Were Different Coaching Idea’s And Player Placements That Played A Roll In There Struggle As Well. But I Am Optimistic This Year . Last I Heard They Will Be Returning Over 20 Letterman And All Of There Skilled Positions As Well . Last Year Wb Was Fielding Half The Teams Starters As Sophomores. The Addition Of The Newly Appointed Offensive Coordinator With His Offensive Package Will Be A Huge Plus . Last Year You Could Sit In The Stands And The Fans Could Tell What The Next Play Was Going To Be . The Element Of Surprise Was Non-existent.
Old 05-21-14, 07:46 PM
All District

I was afraid of that happening to Carrollton...wrote a letter to the Free Press Standard four years ago about it but nothing...
One thing i forgot to mention was Minerva's offense, to me i would want to see the Lions in the zone read and spread were they can spread the field. Name a Minerva team that didn't have speed and i will buy you a beer.
Old 05-22-14, 02:57 AM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
I expect Carrollton to be much improved this year. That was a really young team last year, and the Claymont game seemed to suck out much of their confidence for the season.
Old 05-22-14, 12:36 PM
All District

Quote:
I was afraid of that happening to Carrollton...wrote a letter to the Free Press Standard four years ago about it but nothing...
One thing i forgot to mention was Minerva's offense, to me i would want to see the Lions in the zone read and spread were they can spread the field. Name a Minerva team that didn't have speed and i will buy you a beer.
I was worried about that happening to Louisville too, however I drove by the Chesapeake energy building and it was just as empty as ever. As far as I know the building is not quite completed and is for sale. I did get to drive over the bridge to no where which was nice.

So for the time being I don't see Louisville growing.

I am guessing Christina Hagan and Rick Guiley jumped the gun on this one.
Old 05-22-14, 01:42 PM
All American

Buck1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACisBack View Post
I was worried about that happening to Louisville too, however I drove by the Chesapeake energy building and it was just as empty as ever. As far as I know the building is not quite completed and is for sale. I did get to drive over the bridge to no where which was nice.

So for the time being I don't see Louisville growing.

I am guessing Christina Hagan and Rick Guiley jumped the gun on this one.
Louisville is a Canton suburb, the headquarters located there will have little impact on Louisville growth. Those employees will live essentially wherever they want in the Canton area just as most Louisville residents don't actually work in Louisville. Most of the Chesapeake trucks that I have seen parked in driveways are in Canton, Plain Township and North Canton thus far. It is great for the Canton area as a whole but these people are choosing to live in many different communities. Where Louisville benefits is on the municipality level by the tax revenue the corporation will generate for Louisville since its headquarters are in Louisville. Carrollton is different since it is not in a big metro area with a lot choices on where to live, basically the Chesapeake employees in Carrollton will mostly live in Carrollton while the Chesapeake employees in Louisville will live in various communities in the Canton area.
Old 05-22-14, 04:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1974 View Post
Louisville is a Canton suburb, the headquarters located there will have little impact on Louisville growth. Those employees will live essentially wherever they want in the Canton area just as most Louisville residents don't actually work in Louisville. Most of the Chesapeake trucks that I have seen parked in driveways are in Canton, Plain Township and North Canton thus far. It is great for the Canton area as a whole but these people are choosing to live in many different communities. Where Louisville benefits is on the municipality level by the tax revenue the corporation will generate for Louisville since its headquarters are in Louisville. Carrollton is different since it is not in a big metro area with a lot choices on where to live, basically the Chesapeake employees in Carrollton will mostly live in Carrollton while the Chesapeake employees in Louisville will live in various communities in the Canton area.
Dude the building is empty and possibly for sale. My point being the head quarters isn't coming to Louisville. We just have an empty building that is 80% finished.

I was joking when I said it would happen to Louisville.
Old 05-22-14, 04:17 PM
All American

dig it is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of Chesapeake and pipeline workers living in Carroll County, but the majority are workers only, choosing to live 4 to 8 to a house. Don't get me wrong, there are some families here also, just not a high % of the work force. I don't see the influx of workers having much, if any affect on our #s in high school sports.

Don't try to get gas between 5:30am to 7:00am in Carrollton.... you will be waiting!! We are no doubt the pick-up capital of the world...it will die back down in a few years. The township I live in has been very hectic for the last few years, but the majority of well sites have already been established and most of the pipelines have been completed...still many to go, but we were first in and I can almost see the light at the end of tunnel in my neighborhood.

The majority of Stark County is no longer on Chesapeake's radar...they have elected to send their resources farther south and east. Gas and oil is/and will be a boost to the Canton area housing market, but the people who are going to make the big money in royalties live here in Carroll and to the counties S&E.

The royalty on my 3 acre yard makes 80% of my mortgage pmt. We built a new 3000sq' house about 15 years ago, so its not a shack.

People may complain, but if this hadn't happened those same people would be complaining about the possible 20% unemployment rate we would be mired in. We can't have it all, so we should just be thankful for what we've got!

Last edited by dig it; 05-22-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 10:13 AM
All District

Ed Miley

Ed Miley is out at Marlington, he took a position at Olentangy.

Who will take over for the Dukes this year. Not much time before camp starts. I am guessing it will have to be someone from within.
Old 05-23-14, 10:53 AM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that. Ed was doing great things at Marlington. Hopefully his successor can keep the ball rolling.
Old 05-23-14, 11:25 AM
All District

Seems so strange that he would leave so close to summer.

I imagine not much will change if they hire in staff, but bring in an outsider with a different offense and the Dukes may struggle or have a hard time adjusting.
Old 05-23-14, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

1984StateChamps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACisBack View Post
Ed Miley is out at Marlington, he took a position at Olentangy.

Who will take over for the Dukes this year. Not much time before camp starts. I am guessing it will have to be someone from within.
Wow....not surprising that he's leaving, but is surprising that he's doing it so late.

Is this 100% for sure?

Last edited by 1984StateChamps; 05-23-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 12:52 PM
All Ohio

Never mind...I see the Alliance Review is reporting it too:

http://www.the-review.com/local%20sp...football-coach
Old 05-23-14, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

I know Miley says the program has a bright future...but let's be frank...the program didn't have a ton of prior success before he got there. You have to wonder what's going to happen with him gone. In high school football, the head coach is so, so important.

I just hope Marlington's program doesn't shrink back down to the doormat it was for so many decades from the 1970's-1990's.

Old 05-23-14, 02:34 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Story about Miley from the Rep.

http://fridaynightohio.com/portal/ne...lington_coach/