Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins rubber match Snyder vs. Coon
Snyder in regulation 28 65.12%
Coon in regulation 2 4.65%
Snyder in overtime 8 18.60%
Coon in overtime 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-18, 08:39 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Snyder vs. Coon (Round 3 - Tale of the Tape)

As we look forward to round 3 of Snyder vs. Coon, let's take a look at how they match up.....

Tale of the Tape............ Snyder..................... Coon........
School......................... OSU ................... team up north
Height......................... 5' 11"....................... 6' 6".......
Weight......................... 225 ..........................285.........
NCAA Titles..................... 2 ............................ 0 ........
Olympic Gold................... 1 ............................ 0 ........
World Titles..................... 2 ............................ 0 ........
Common oppnts............23-1..........................29-7.......
Hobbies..............beating up Russians.............splitting atoms
Nickname...........Captain America...................Porky.....
First match............................................. .....Coon 3-1
Second match.......Snyder 4-2 in 4 OT..........................

Predictions on the rubber match????
I'll go 3-2 Captain America
And your predictions????

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 03-15-18 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-18, 10:04 AM
All American

Kyle Snyder struggles to fight off the much bigger Adam Coon during their overtime match in the B1G finals......

Note: this picture was taken just moments before winning takedown by Snyder during the 4th overtime......

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 03-14-18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 11:06 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
I'm going cap am to win with the team title on the line!
Just like when he pulled off the world title for USA!
I think he can handle pressure on the big stage!
Old 03-14-18, 11:07 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post

Kyle Snyder struggles to fight off the much bigger Adam Coon during their overtime match in the B1G finals......

Note: this picture was taken just moments before winning takedown by Snyder during the 4th overtime......
nice pic. i'm taking the bigger Coon
Old 03-14-18, 11:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
I'm going cap am to win with the team title on the line!
Just like when he pulled off the world title for USA!
I think he can handle pressure on the big stage!
NCAA team title may indeed be on the line....

Quicken Loans Arena would be crazy with that scenario!
Old 03-14-18, 11:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
nice pic. i'm taking the bigger Coon
Gonna be a great match between two top competitors!

It'll be a fabulous way to wrap up the ncaa tourney!
Old 03-14-18, 11:34 AM
Varsity

actionddj is on a distinguished road
I'm taking Coon as well.
Old 03-14-18, 12:56 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Kasper isnt going away easy.
Old 03-14-18, 01:03 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NCAA team title may indeed be on the line....

Quicken Loans Arena would be crazy with that scenario!
Hoping so I'll b there!
Old 03-14-18, 01:31 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_beast View Post
Kasper isnt going away easy.
Lol, sure thing. I'll take Coon, he'll be 290 by the time they wrestle in the finals. Though like most of this board, I'm biased, just the opposite way. Bad decision by Coon last time trying to escape the takedown by kicking out, shoulda just sat on him and make Snyder lift 285 lbs to complete the TD. Coon by fall via the body lock, Captain America and the best freestyler on the planet starts and ends his career with a loss by Pin in the NCAA finals.
Old 03-14-18, 02:44 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
Bad decision by Coon last time trying to escape the takedown by kicking out, shoulda just sat on him and make Snyder lift 285 lbs to complete the TD.
I'm sure that was mostly a joke, Coon did have all his weight over Snyder prior to the action that resulted in the takedown. You never have to lift all 285 pounds to get the takedown. Most of the time it will be lifting a leg once his weight is moving in a different direction.

Having said that, I was pretty much believed Coon would take the NCAA crown this year - then I saw Snyder's strategy at Big 10 final. Snyder was content to lock up and wait for the perfect moment for his shot. If it didn't come, he would wait until the end of the period to take his shot. This time I see Snyder working on a reverse out of the down position - or an escape to a quick take down from the down position.

Things could get real interesting is if Coon decides to push the action based on what Snyder did the last time around. I think Snyder has too much savvy and mat knowledge for that to work well for Coon. In the end, I think we see a match that is a repeat of the Big10 final. This is also Coon's last chance to get an NCAA title. He will leave nothing in the tank and I expect him to be more aggressive and to push the action to get points early.

It'll be another great match.
Old 03-14-18, 05:17 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
They shouldn't be wrestling at all. Coon should be wrestling in the "Unlimited" class & Snyder in the 220lb. class. Both win titles.
Old 03-14-18, 07:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
They shouldn't be wrestling at all. Coon should be wrestling in the "Unlimited" class & Snyder in the 220lb. class. Both win titles.
Love these posts, amazingly didn't see any like these until Snyder loses a match. It's like this is the first time Snyder has been at a weight disadvantage wrestling heavyweight. I for one like the weights where they're at, I like the contrast in styles between the light quick heavyweights like Snyder and the big strong bruisers like Coon.
Old 03-14-18, 08:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Love these posts, amazingly didn't see any like these until Snyder loses a match. It's like this is the first time Snyder has been at a weight disadvantage wrestling heavyweight. I for one like the weights where they're at, I like the contrast in styles between the light quick heavyweights like Snyder and the big strong bruisers like Coon.
Gotta admit it makes for an interesting contrast in styles.
However, it takes a world class competitor like Snyder to make it interesting. And there aren't many Kyle Snyder's out there.
Old 03-14-18, 08:42 PM
All District

graceunder is on a distinguished road
This is going to have the collegiate wrestling world on the edge of their seats. I am excited and this is great for college wrestling.
Old 03-14-18, 08:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
This is going to have the collegiate wrestling world on the edge of their seats. I am excited and this is great for college wrestling.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-14-18, 08:49 PM
Varsity

RandyLoathsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
I never heard any complaints last year about Snyder's weight when he was steamrolling his way to a title against 285 lbers. The NCAA is not going to create a 220 lb weight class. Most programs are hanging on by a thread financially.

Howard Harris, who weighed about the same as Snyder, pinned his way through the heavyweight class (including Baumgartner in the Finals), back when it was an unlimited class. He had to wrestle 400 lbers, who often had a 200 lb weight advantage on him.
Old 03-14-18, 08:50 PM
All Region

keato is on a distinguished road
Letís just hope this match happens!!!
Old 03-14-18, 08:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post
I never heard any complaints last year about Snyder's weight when he was steamrolling his way to a title against 285 lbers. The NCAA is not going to create a 220 lb weight class. Most programs are hanging on by a thread financially.

Howard Harris, who weighed about the same as Snyder, pinned his way through the heavyweight class (including Baumgartner in the Finals), back when it was an unlimited class. He had to wrestle 400 lbers, who often had a 200 lb weight advantage on him.
Wow, that's impressive!!!
Old 03-14-18, 08:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by keato View Post
Letís just hope this match happens!!!
If it's not Snyder vs. Coon in the finals, expect Lucifer to be wearing ear muffs, a parka and ice skates!
Old 03-14-18, 09:01 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If it's not Snyder vs. Coon in the finals, expect Lucifer to be wearing ear muffs, a parka and ice skates!

Iíll b in Church praying cuz the end will be near....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-18, 09:07 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Wow, that's impressive!!!
Sad thing about Harris was that he made the US Olympic team in 1980, in the 220 class. But that was the year of the boycott. I doubt if he was in Snyder's class, in freestyle (I don't think he would have been the Gold Medal favorite), but he never got the chance. Lee Kemp's the one who really lost out, since he was also on the team and was #1 ranked in the world.
Old 03-14-18, 09:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Sad thing about Harris was that he made the US Olympic team in 1980, in the 220 class. But that was the year of the boycott. I doubt if he was in Snyder's class, in freestyle (I don't think he would have been the Gold Medal favorite), but he never got the chance. Lee Kemp's the one who really lost out, since he was also on the team and was #1 ranked in the world.
And of course Lee Kemp beat Dan Gable 7-6 in late 1975. It would be Gable's last competitive match.
Old 03-15-18, 09:50 AM
All American

Quote:

You're kind of cherry picking a bit with your comparisons. Harris was a physical specimen who was what - about 6'3" and I'm guessing maybe 8% body fat? So if you take him and Snyder - you have about all of the small heavyweight champs and Olympic team members (and neither were hvywgts on the Olympic teams they were on) over the past 40 years or so. Don't think I am missing anyone.

The typical NCAA heavyweight champ will be in the 250-260 range. Big enough but still nimble enough to move on the mat. (of late - Tony Nelson, Gwiz ) both 2-timers that lost in their bid for a 3rd championship. Coon is not nearly as skilled a wrestler as Snyder is - and that is the only reason it remains as competitive as it is. On the other hand, if Snyder bulked up to 285 he would not be nearly as good as he is at 223.

Both sides of the argument are likely true.
Old 03-15-18, 11:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
You're kind of cherry picking a bit with your comparisons. Harris was a physical specimen who was what - about 6'3" and I'm guessing maybe 8% body fat? So if you take him and Snyder - you have about all of the small heavyweight champs and Olympic team members (and neither were hvywgts on the Olympic teams they were on) over the past 40 years or so. Don't think I am missing anyone.

The typical NCAA heavyweight champ will be in the 250-260 range. Big enough but still nimble enough to move on the mat. (of late - Tony Nelson, Gwiz ) both 2-timers that lost in their bid for a 3rd championship. Coon is not nearly as skilled a wrestler as Snyder is - and that is the only reason it remains as competitive as it is. On the other hand, if Snyder bulked up to 285 he would not be nearly as good as he is at 223.

Both sides of the argument are likely true.
Tommy Rowlands wasn't 250-260, neither was Kerry McCoy, JD Bergman wasn't either and he did pretty well. I think the light heavyweight success is a lot more prevalent than you are suggesting. Heck even Gwiz wasn't 260 his first couple years, nor was Ty Walz, they slowly bulked their way up over time. Snyder is unique because he really can't bulk up anymore because of his freestyle aspirations. J'Den Coz went up to 285 for a while before deciding to drop down to 197 again, didn't seem to affect his performance much.
Old 03-15-18, 12:51 PM
All District

Hello Pope Francis will you go over to the post about 2 year hold backs and straighten that mess up with some good humor?
Old 03-15-18, 01:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
Hello Pope Francis will you go over to the post about 2 year hold backs and straighten that mess up with some good humor?
I'll try to help after work today, though I hate to keep that thread alive by pouring gas on a dumpster fire.
Then heading to Cleveland tomorrow. Can't wait!

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 03-15-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 05:43 PM
All District

Quote:
I'll try to help after work today, though I hate to keep that thread alive by pouring gas on a dumpster fire.
Then heading to Cleveland tomorrow. Can't wait!
As Willie would say, "give us a full report."
Old 03-15-18, 08:37 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Tommy Rowlands wasn't 250-260, neither was Kerry McCoy, JD Bergman wasn't either and he did pretty well. I think the light heavyweight success is a lot more prevalent than you are suggesting. Heck even Gwiz wasn't 260 his first couple years, nor was Ty Walz, they slowly bulked their way up over time. Snyder is unique because he really can't bulk up anymore because of his freestyle aspirations. J'Den Coz went up to 285 for a while before deciding to drop down to 197 again, didn't seem to affect his performance much.
We both forgot about Louie Banach, who won an NCAA title (had to beat a 400 lb Steve Williams to do it) in 1983 and an Olympic Gold at 220 in 84. Bob Golic was probably around 230 (he was a linebacker in college, before he became a Nose Tackle as a pro), didn't set foot on the mat until January, and still nearly won an NCAA title (lost to the 400 lb Jimmy Jackson 6-2 in the semi's).

Many coaches would rather have small, athletic, heavies. You can do way more with them than the dreadnoughts, who often are in 2-1 stall fests. Like Snyder, a lot of them developed skills wrestling in sub 200 lb weight classes in HS. The Wadsworth kid who won this year's state at heavy, was wrestling 175 lbs his Soph season.

A lot of time, those guys are too quick and skilled for the 270+ heavies. However, every now and then you run into beasts like Coon or Cole Konrad, who also have skills. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other. They knew what they were getting into when they elected to wrestle heavy. Sometimes you have to overcome tough, unfair, obstacles in life. Instead of whining about a weight advantage. I don't think that the German who suplayed Chris Taylor was complaining about Taylor's 200+ lb advantage, he went out and did it.
Old 03-15-18, 10:39 PM
All American

And let's not forget about Kirk Trost, Brock Lesnar, Steve Mocco, Steve Neal, Carlton Haselrig, and some of the other small heavyweights. They never saw 220 after they lost their baby teeth.

Kerry McCoy was a small heavyweight? Not the way I remember it. Seems like the standard went from the small Snyder who wrestles competitively at 213 in international bouts, but "bulks up" to 223 to wrestle in college to now include guys around 240. Also keep in mind that the standard weight for the entire population continues to grow. It is not just the overweight people, but the fact that nutrition has changed, training with weights is more prominant - and bigger guys playing football can run a 40 in under 5 seconds at over 300 pounds. They just don't wrestle any more.

I used to think adding a 230 weight class would be a benefit to collegiate wrestling. Then I considered what that would do to the heavyweight class - even if it went to Unlimited again..