Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 12:07 PM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
The Great Debate in Southwest Ohio

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 12:17 PM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Thank you for these numbers W. Really appreciate it. I might take them and run a few additional sheets to really paint an interesting picture!
Old 03-13-18, 01:35 PM
All District

MSU2016 is on a distinguished road
Here are some more Stats. http://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

Male Enrollment Number Top Ten Southwest Ohio

1) Mason - 1337
2) St. X - 1178
3) Fairfield - 1169
4) LE - 1053
5) Centerville - 1024
6) Beavercreek - 1009
7) Hamilton - 1005
8) WC - (Combined Glen and Amelia) 948
9) LW - 921
10) Fairmont - 919

Actual Dayton Schools Total Number of Males - ( Included LM, Middletown, and Talawanda) 11,922 - W/o those three schools - 10,406

Actual Cincinnati School Total Number of Males - (Without above three schools) - 19,653 - with those three schools - 21,169
Old 03-13-18, 04:30 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
oh so you are saying

because cincinnati has more numbers then dayton you guys should be to go to their district?

Come on. The northeast district alliance is loaded with state quality kids every year and don't make it out. Its just how it goes sometimes.
Old 03-13-18, 04:36 PM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
because cincinnati has more numbers then dayton you guys should be to go to their district?

Come on. The northeast district alliance is loaded with state quality kids every year and don't make it out. Its just how it goes sometimes.
I think they are saying that because the one northeast sectional scored more points than the entire central district, that that northeast sectional's teams should be dispersed among the central district sectionals next year.
Old 03-14-18, 07:16 AM
Junior Varsity

southwestwrestling is on a distinguished road
All I know is that Cincinnati Coaches have been complaining for years about the imbalance between the two areas and I think they are right to complain. Why is it that 5-6 Cincinnati Schools get sent to the Centerville Sectional? Answer, not enough Dayton Schools (which I understand). However, here is my problem... the SW District Board says they use Geography/ mileage to determine this. So here is my problem... five current schools taken out of Cincinnati to Centerville 1 & 2- Little Miami, LW, LE, Edgewood, Talawanda, and Middletown.

Miles to Centerville
LM-23
Talawanda-43
Edgewood--26
Middletown- 16
Lakota W- 29
Lakota E- 26

Schools in order from Cincinnati that should be going to Centerville based on miles.
Middletown-16 miles
Lebanon (they're in the GWOC)- 14 miles
Little Miami- 22.8 miles
Mason-23.2 miles-(they use to go to Centerville, not sure what happened?)
Kings- 23.9 miles
Edgewood- 26 miles
LE- 26 miles.

Lebanon is a host site... so it should be Middletown, LM, Mason, Kings, Edgewood, and Lakota East.

Mason is closer than LW, LE, Edgewood, and Talawanda that currently go to Centerville. How does this happen? Not to mention they use to go North 5 years ago.

Just moving up Mason, would probably silence some the drum beats in Cincinnati. Plus it would help balance the competitiveness of the two areas.
Old 03-14-18, 07:47 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestwrestling View Post
All I know is that Cincinnati Coaches have been complaining for years about the imbalance between the two areas and I think they are right to complain. Why is it that 5-6 Cincinnati Schools get sent to the Centerville Sectional? Answer, not enough Dayton Schools (which I understand). However, here is my problem... the SW District Board says they use Geography/ mileage to determine this. So here is my problem... five current schools taken out of Cincinnati to Centerville 1 & 2- Little Miami, LW, LE, Edgewood, Talawanda, and Middletown.

Miles to Centerville
LM-23
Talawanda-43
Edgewood--26
Middletown- 16
Lakota W- 29
Lakota E- 26

Schools in order from Cincinnati that should be going to Centerville based on miles.
Middletown-16 miles
Little Miami- 22.8 miles
Kings- 23.9 miles
Edgewood- 26 miles
LE- 26 miles.

Lebanon is a host site... so it should be Middletown, LM, Mason, Kings, Edgewood, and Lakota East.

Mason is closer than LW, LE, Edgewood, and Talawanda that currently go to Centerville. How does this happen? Not to mention they use to go North 5 years ago.

Just moving up Mason, would probably silence some the drum beats in Cincinnati. Plus it would help balance the competitiveness of the two areas.

So your issue isn't a balance thing, it's because you don't like losing to Mason.

How in the world do you coach (assuming) young adolescents in this sport to be mentally tough but turn around and complain that 3 miles is keeping you away from 1-3 more DQ's?

Is your (or other Cincinnati coaches for that matter) really that distraught about a few area kids not making it to districts? Are we concerned about padding our coaching stats to say you had 7 DQ's instead of 4-5? Obviously we aren't losing any State Qualifiers because if you can't get out of Sectionals, then you're not making it out of Districts.

I can only imagine how much better some of these mediocre teams in Cincinnati would be if they invested their time in competing with teams like Mason instead of trying to push them away.

In short, life ain't fair my friends. Build a bridge and get over it!
Old 03-14-18, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

southwestwrestling is on a distinguished road
First off, I don't coach anymore, retired for several years... but still occasionally attend the SWOWCA meetings or catch a local meet or two.

It's not about losing to Mason (that is stupid to assume it) and you are missing the point completely. There is a major imbalance issue.... look at the stats for state qualifiers, 70-30%, 80-20% (SQ) split for the past two seasons for State Qualifiers. The argument has been for the past several years that there is a major imbalance between the two areas. How do you balance it? SWOWCA offered proposals such as a Super-draw, using mileage, and balancing the number of teams. All shot down by a SW-Board that is dominated by Dayton representatives. It also is just not about State Qualifiers, but when a weight class in Centerville has 4 kids, 3 with losing records qualify for districts... then I think the Cincinnati coaches have a right to complain. Talk to any Cincinnati coach and they don't understand how (nor do I) SW District Board determines mileage/ split. From what I have heard (purely speculative) that the SWDB cherry picks the teams from Cincy that they send north. Talawanda is 43 miles away (2 wrestlers) and gets sent to Centerville? Really, I mean, really. My assumption is that Mason did not go back to Centerville a few years back because they dominated. Instead they get replaced with Little Miami? (Little Fishy?) With the addition of Western Brown in what is already a crowded field..... (I'll go slow so you can understand)...... it would help alleviate the imbalance....... just by moving a few teams..... to Centerville actually based on ....... distance. If you just moved Mason (which is closer than 3 out of the 5 schools going North).... this year's split would have been 60-40%... little better than 70-30%... but it is a start!!!
Old 03-14-18, 09:09 AM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First off, I don't coach anymore, retired for several years... but still occasionally attend the SWOWCA meetings or catch a local meet or two.

It's not about losing to Mason (that is stupid to assume it) and you are missing the point completely. There is a major imbalance issue.... look at the stats for state qualifiers, 70-30%, 80-20% (SQ) split for the past two seasons for State Qualifiers. The argument has been for the past several years that there is a major imbalance between the two areas. How do you balance it? SWOWCA offered proposals such as a Super-draw, using mileage, and balancing the number of teams. All shot down by a SW-Board that is dominated by Dayton representatives. It also is just not about State Qualifiers, but when a weight class in Centerville has 4 kids, 3 with losing records qualify for districts... then I think the Cincinnati coaches have a right to complain. Talk to any Cincinnati coach and they don't understand how (nor do I) SW District Board determines mileage/ split. From what I have heard (purely speculative) that the SWDB cherry picks the teams from Cincy that they send north. Talawanda is 43 miles away (2 wrestlers) and gets sent to Centerville? Really, I mean, really. My assumption is that Mason did not go back to Centerville a few years back because they dominated. Instead they get replaced with Little Miami? (Little Fishy?) With the addition of Western Brown in what is already a crowded field..... (I'll go slow so you can understand)...... it would help alleviate the imbalance....... just by moving a few teams..... to Centerville actually based on ....... distance. If you just moved Mason (which is closer than 3 out of the 5 schools going North).... this year's split would have been 60-40%... little better than 70-30%... but it is a start!!!
Well said.

Last edited by CincyCoach; 03-14-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 09:11 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This could happen as soon as next year.
Old 03-14-18, 09:14 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Old 03-14-18, 09:33 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
I can see both sides of this... to me it just depends which side you want to focus:

1. Imbalance based on recent results. Argument becomes superdraw. The superdraw cleans up a lot of the argument.

2. Regional representation. The focus of having 16 sectionals and 4 districts is to get representation from all over the state. If we are simply looking for the best 16 for state, there are times when our district would have fallen well short of the 4 per weight allotment... which Cleveland could generally argue that they get shafted the same way Cincy is with Dayton. if we are looking at regional representation, then we need wrestlers from all areas represented.

I'll throw a couple of curve balls at everyone...

Option 1
4 sectionals with equal number of schools in each.
2 Dayton Sectionals and 2 Cincy Sectionals
Dayton schools remain in Dayton
Overflow of Cincy schools continues to travel North to Dayton Sectional
Cincinnati Superdraw allows the Cincinnati school to choose which Sectional that they attend with 3-4 openings per Dayton Sectional.
The basis of the argument is that it helps to divide the quality amongst all sectionals.

Option 2
Coaches vote on all schools in the district.
The schools are automatically placed in a district. (i.e. 1,8,9,16 would go to the first district; 2,7,10,15 would go to the second, etc.)
This would evenly distribute quality into each sectional.
The problem is that coaches, parents, and fans have become accustom to having the ability to choose.

We are in a sport that tries to teach kids to battle through the adversity. Yet we are upset when we don't get our way. As for me... I say we either 1. go with a completely blind draw for all 4 sectionals or 2. go to a definitive assignment of sectional by panel (2 Dayton officials and 2 Cincy officials) with rebalancing every 3-4 years.

Coach Root
Old 03-14-18, 09:40 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
So, where should this stop? Is this only a problem in the southwest? Are kids in the northeast not getting to state that should?

Maybe we should have a super district draw? That should help solve that issue.
Old 03-14-18, 09:50 AM
All American

Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
We are in a sport that tries to teach kids to battle through the adversity. Yet we are upset when we don't get our way. As for me... I say we either 1. go with a completely blind draw for all 4 sectionals or 2. go to a definitive assignment of sectional by panel (2 Dayton officials and 2 Cincy officials) with rebalancing every 3-4 years.

Coach Root
I'd argue that's more human nature than anything. Two years ago Penn State fans, and many fans nationwide, were upset when Ohio State got chosen for the football playoff, though Penn State won the Big 10. When someone we perceive as being not as good, gets selected over what is perceived to be better, it's human nature to question that or get upset about it. Though I love wrestling, I do enjoy the NCAA Basketball tournament. Every year ESPN spends an entire day arguing over who got snubbed. It's more with fairness vs mental toughness. Though the real world isn't fair, we do try to make things fair that we have control over and this is something we have control over. A super draw would accommodate a change in the opposite direction. If ever the Dayton Schools become more dominant than the Cincinnati area schools, they would benefit from the same protocol in the future.
Old 03-14-18, 10:28 AM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can see both sides of this... to me it just depends which side you want to focus:

1. Imbalance based on recent results. Argument becomes superdraw. The superdraw cleans up a lot of the argument.

2. Regional representation. The focus of having 16 sectionals and 4 districts is to get representation from all over the state. If we are simply looking for the best 16 for state, there are times when our district would have fallen well short of the 4 per weight allotment... which Cleveland could generally argue that they get shafted the same way Cincy is with Dayton. if we are looking at regional representation, then we need wrestlers from all areas represented.

I'll throw a couple of curve balls at everyone...

Option 1
4 sectionals with equal number of schools in each.
2 Dayton Sectionals and 2 Cincy Sectionals
Dayton schools remain in Dayton
Overflow of Cincy schools continues to travel North to Dayton Sectional
Cincinnati Superdraw allows the Cincinnati school to choose which Sectional that they attend with 3-4 openings per Dayton Sectional.
The basis of the argument is that it helps to divide the quality amongst all sectionals.

Option 2
The schools are automatically placed in a district. (i.e. 1,8,9,16 would go to the first district; 2,7,10,15 would go to the second, etc.)
The problem is that coaches, parents, and fans have become accustom to having the ability to choose.

Coach Root
I think option 1 serves the purpose the greatest. There are times when Cincy is tougher and times when Dayton is tougher. This option allows for the flow of those teams to be based off where the strength is between the two cities. Recently it's been tougher in Cincinnati. But that's not always the case. Regardless, I think that option balances it out nicely and fairly.

As for the difference between districts, I don't know that's as easily fixed as it's not necessarily justifiable to send teams to a sectional 200 miles from home for the sake of equity. And you've got a valid point that the final 16 that make it to state aren't necessarily the best 16 kids in the weight.
Old 03-14-18, 10:31 AM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Option 2

Coach Root
We've already seen this isn't working now.. This should hit close to home. Look at your fellow coaches Regional State Duals voting this season.. (OH, Elder, Colerain & La Salle) Who voted who what?

Coaches are dishonest and have their best interests, their wrestlers, at heart. It even happens in coaches votes at the D1 level.

On top of that, how can coaches realistically vote teams 1-45+ on a yearly basis..
Old 03-14-18, 12:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWjjsj View Post
We've already seen this isn't working now.. This should hit close to home. Look at your fellow coaches Regional State Duals voting this season.. (OH, Elder, Colerain & La Salle) Who voted who what?

Coaches are dishonest and have their best interests, their wrestlers, at heart. It even happens in coaches votes at the D1 level.

On top of that, how can coaches realistically vote teams 1-45+ on a yearly basis..
A couple things:
1. I think eliminating the ability to vote your own team first helps.
2. Make the vote public. Or let a panel of loach coaches with some integrity do the rankings. Personally, I think this is a better option.
3. With coaches looking out for themselves, it's cutthroat but they would also need to rely on the other 45+ teams to follow their vote.

Coach Root
Old 03-14-18, 02:46 PM
All American

Pantherontheporch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How are the members of the SW Board elected? If there are more Cincy schools than Dayton schools, how is it that the board has been dominated by Dayton board members during the recent past, thus leading to the current situation?
Old 03-14-18, 03:10 PM
All District

youngmanmom is on a distinguished road
I love the idea of a superdraw! It allows coaches an opportunity to choose what schools their wrestlers compete against. If your team is average with two good wrestlers, the coach would get to decide either where more kids may get out or where the two good kids have the best chance of getting to the final to seed better for districts. A school could choose to not show for the sectional draw and just get put wherever an empty space is. If a head coach hates sectional draws, they could designate someone else to go for them.

The redraw the next year could get new opportunities for a different kind of team. I know this year, we had several wrestlers meet over and over again (state dual series, GMCs, sectional, district and then state). That could be avoided too.

Please don't go to a full state draw. The drive time increases time missed from school and is plain annoying. OHSAA would lose money on ticket sales. I probably wouldn't go see my team at sectionals in the NE if my kid wasn't wrestling. Hamilton scored about $80 from us this year, and Kettering got another $100 or so. No child competing this year...just like watching kids I know.
Old 03-14-18, 04:04 PM
All American

Quote:

Miles to Centerville
LM-23
Talawanda-43
Edgewood--26
Middletown- 16
Lakota W- 29
Lakota E- 26

Middletown-16 miles
Little Miami- 22.8 miles
Kings- 23.9 miles
Edgewood- 26 miles
LE- 26 miles.

Ummm I would like to join the chorus of outraged SW Ohio wrestling fans calling out whichever SW District board member claimed that the sectionals are set up by "geography and milage" as liars. If they really cared about milage, A) There would be 3 sectionals in the greater Cincinnati area, B) There would be at least ONE sectional south of Hamiltucky (no offence to you guys), and C) The District would be closer to Cincinnati than Kettering Fairmont.

The SW District board long ago become too incompetent to hide their corruption.
Old 03-14-18, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
I've got news for you...There have always been years where 1 sectional or 2 were weaker than the other 2. The Dayton South sectional used to be filled by all of the Dayton City league schools. Centerville & Beavercreek always completely dominated it. You attend the sectional closest to where you're school is geographically located...and let the chips fall where they may. Things will sort themselves out at Districts. Always have. You don't like it...Tell your dad to find a new job and move...
Old 03-14-18, 09:12 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiz View Post
Ummm I would like to join the chorus of outraged SW Ohio wrestling fans calling out whichever SW District board member claimed that the sectionals are set up by "geography and milage" as liars. If they really cared about milage, A) There would be 3 sectionals in the greater Cincinnati area, B) There would be at least ONE sectional south of Hamiltucky (no offence to you guys), and C) The District would be closer to Cincinnati than Kettering Fairmont.

The SW District board long ago become too incompetent to hide their corruption.
And you were just on another thread talking about whiners. Lol
Old 03-14-18, 09:49 PM
Freshman

Plankinyoureye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
I've got news for you...There have always been years where 1 sectional or 2 were weaker than the other 2. The Dayton South sectional used to be filled by all of the Dayton City league schools. Centerville & Beavercreek always completely dominated it. You attend the sectional closest to where you're school is geographically located...and let the chips fall where they may. Things will sort themselves out at Districts. Always have. You don't like it...Tell your dad to find a new job and move...
I'd agree with you if that was actually the case. It's clear that geography is NOT being followed as some teams travel PAST one Cincinnati sectional to get to another Dayton sectional.

Last edited by Plankinyoureye; 03-14-18 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-14-18, 10:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
And you were just on another thread talking about whiners. Lol
Nobody is interested in the opinion of some Dayton corruption fanboy on yappi who is intellectually incapable of seeing the difference between exposing corruption and exposing an illogical argument that a 15 year old freshman is too old to wrestle in highschool. Now if you'd like to add something of substance to the conversation, I'm all ears, but this post is a waste of bandwidth.
Old 03-14-18, 10:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankinyoureye View Post
I'd agree with you if that was actually the case. It's clear that geography is NOT being followed as some teams travel PAST one Cincinnati sectional to get to another Dayton sectional.
Agreed, except I would have put "Cincinnati" sectional in quotation marks. There are no Cincinnati Sectionals despite the fact that most schools are in Cincinnati. Hamilton is 11 miles north of the top of the 275 loop. Lebanon is 17 miles northeast of the outer edge of the 275 loop. I would like to hear from a member of the board who determines the sectional locations what the rationale is. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see it isn't geography.
Old 03-14-18, 11:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Agreed, except I would have put "Cincinnati" sectional in quotation marks. There are no Cincinnati Sectionals despite the fact that most schools are in Cincinnati. Hamilton is 11 miles north of the top of the 275 loop. Lebanon is 17 miles northeast of the outer edge of the 275 loop. I would like to hear from a member of the board who determines the sectional locations what the rationale is. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see it isn't geography.
I think the sectional sites have to do with availability and willingness to host... but don't quote me on that one.

Coach Root
Old 03-15-18, 06:19 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the sectional sites have to do with availability and willingness to host... but don't quote me on that one.

Coach Root
Bingo. Circumstances can differ from year to year, but I know in the past there have been instances where they had to package wrestling with other sports where a school has to take on wrestling to get another sectional they may want to host.
Old 03-15-18, 07:20 AM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nobody is interested in the opinion of some Dayton corruption fanboy on yappi who is intellectually incapable of seeing the difference between exposing corruption and exposing an illogical argument that a 15 year old freshman is too old to wrestle in highschool. Now if you'd like to add something of substance to the conversation, I'm all ears, but this post is a waste of bandwidth.
First of all NO ONE said anything about a 15 year old freshman but since you're having trouble let me help you:
1) The rules allow the sectional system to exist the way it does. The rules also allow "kids" to wrestle in HS until they reach the age of 20. You may not like either but it's within the rules.
2) Just like the hold back argument, quit whining about your baby boy having a tougher sectional. Work harder.

Please identify all of the Cincinnati schools who've requested to host a sectional. While you're at it please tell us who is corrupt. Have you asked your AD to host a sectional?

For years plenty of kids in SW OH have earned trips to Columbus while much better NE OH kids stayed home and no one hears the constant complaining about it. You can advocate for change all you want but to come on here and flap your gums about corruption makes you look foolish.
Old 03-15-18, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Please identify all of the Cincinnati schools who've requested to host a sectional.

I can think of 1 for sure.
Old 03-15-18, 07:33 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hashtag View Post
So your issue isn't a balance thing, it's because you don't like losing to Mason.

How in the world do you coach (assuming) young adolescents in this sport to be mentally tough but turn around and complain that 3 miles is keeping you away from 1-3 more DQ's?

Is your (or other Cincinnati coaches for that matter) really that distraught about a few area kids not making it to districts? Are we concerned about padding our coaching stats to say you had 7 DQ's instead of 4-5? Obviously we aren't losing any State Qualifiers because if you can't get out of Sectionals, then you're not making it out of Districts.

I can only imagine how much better some of these mediocre teams in Cincinnati would be if they invested their time in competing with teams like Mason instead of trying to push them away.

In short, life ain't fair my friends. Build a bridge and get over it!
It's more than just about getting a few more kids out to Districts so it looks better on a coach's resume. Our main objective is to get kids to State and place, but for some programs that are young and trying to build, just getting to Districts is a HUGE accomplishment for a lot of these kids.
Another thing to look at is the advantage a DQ can have the following year. With most seeding at tournaments now done by criteria, it can affect the brackets the following year since they use DQ as a criteria on Baumspage when entering your lineup.
As far as location, I know the AD's at the "Cincy" Sectionals like having it at their schools (money maker) and I think as long as they want to keep having it, it probably won't move venues since the State isn't a big fan of change. Although a "true" Cincy Sectional would help!
I don't think it's due to a lack of interest from other schools to host either (I believe Elder, Oak Hills and a couple other Schools have offered to host a Sectional too).
I am also in favor of a Super Draw with Cincy/Dayton area. It's done in other sports, why not wrestling too????