Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 09:55 AM
Freshman

ON MY MOMMA is an unknown quantity at this point
2 year hold backs

As i was chatting with some friends giving praise to these young freshman for acheiving what they did as freshman. And it was brought to my attention that kids are being held back for 1 or 2 yrs to gain an edge on oppnents. Is this true? Are they true freshman? Is this acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 10:00 AM
Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
It's not true. Crawl back under your rock.
Old 03-13-18, 10:03 AM
All District

ttwo0603 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
It's not true. Crawl back under your rock.

:c lap:
Old 03-13-18, 10:07 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Old 03-13-18, 10:22 AM
Junior Varsity

Mr. Headlock is on a distinguished road
It is very true, some may even call it the 6th grade red shirt and the 8th grade extra year of club. that gives them a extra 2 years to "grow and mature"

Word on the street is one freshman was driving to the state tournament this year
Old 03-13-18, 10:26 AM
Freshman

Ryans1906 is on a distinguished road
Hold Backs

It appears that your post was one driven by facetiousness. A rather strange first post...however if the question was real and you are in need of the answer in terms of eligibility age see below.

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation)
Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.

EXCEPTION 1: If the student is a “child with a disability” as that term is defined within the Ohio Operating Standards for the Education of Children with Disabilities and Part B of the Federal IDEIA requirements and the student’s specific disability was diagnosed contemporaneous with the events which caused the student to be unable to meet the requirements of this bylaw; and whose disability is the primary reason for student’s inability to meet the requirements of this bylaw, that student may be declared eligible by the Commissioner’s office if, in the sole discretion of the Commissioner’s office, the Commissioner’s office determines that:
a) the student does not pose a safety risk to himself/herself or others; and
b) the student does not enjoy any advantages in terms of physical maturity, mental maturity or athletic maturity over other student-athletes; and
c) the student would not likely participate in any meaningful way in any contest or otherwise have any impact on the outcome of any contest in which the student does participate; and
d) there is no evidence of “red-shirting” or other indicia of academic dishonesty.
Old 03-13-18, 11:18 AM
All Region

miketyson is on a distinguished road
if you don't hold your

kids back that means you don't love them and don't want them to home with you. You would rather have them at school.

I don't understand why parents get so upset about this. What is the difference if you are 21 or 24 when you graduate college. Most college grads have no idea what they want to do after college. Instead of working some entry level that they realize they don't like. I would rather have a chance to go into the work force without having to worry about student loan debt. Then being 21 and having a 400 dollar student loan payment where the only way it can be forgiven is when you die.
Old 03-13-18, 11:21 AM
Varsity

Irishtony is on a distinguished road
Dear Yo Momma,

It is a common practice among knuckle dragging dads (and some moms) to hold their son back some time before high school (elementary or junior high school) to allow their young stud to mature physically. There are many who will berate me for condemning the practice unless it is for academic purposes. There are wrestlers who wrestle in the state tournament and turn 20 the following week. Don't listen to them. They will tell you it doesn't give a wrestler ANY advantage. They sit on a throne of lies.
Old 03-13-18, 11:22 AM
Freshman

So what your saying is a kid thats about to be 20 yrs old (who should be a sophmore in college) can wrestle my 14 yr old son. And people wonder why the sport is a dying sport. So many empty seats at the finals this year. Its sad to see wrestling has come to this point.
Old 03-13-18, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Is it true? Yes absolutely in many cases. Is it OK to do? Depends on what your motivations are, but it is within the rules. So if you do not like or agree with it(like me), you have 2 choices.

1. Go to OHSAA and start the process of getting the age rule changed. OR
2. Do not sweat it as it really has no bearing on YOUR child in the long run. I focus on my kids and preparing them as best I can for their future. The rest is just noise.

I would also add that if you are in my camp that thinks it is sad that a parent would hold their child back just to win a few more matches, or get a little further in the state tournament, be a better high school athlete, etc. It is equally as sad to come on a HS athletics forum and troll the crowd on a subject that is well within the rules, while purposely or inadvertently taking away from what a teenager has achieved. So to answer your question, are they freshman? Yes, they are indeed freshman. End of story.
Old 03-13-18, 11:31 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans1906 View Post
It appears that your post was one driven by facetiousness. A rather strange first post...however if the question was real and you are in need of the answer in terms of eligibility age see below.

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation)
Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.

EXCEPTION 1: If the student is a “child with a disability” as that term is defined within the Ohio Operating Standards for the Education of Children with Disabilities and Part B of the Federal IDEIA requirements and the student’s specific disability was diagnosed contemporaneous with the events which caused the student to be unable to meet the requirements of this bylaw; and whose disability is the primary reason for student’s inability to meet the requirements of this bylaw, that student may be declared eligible by the Commissioner’s office if, in the sole discretion of the Commissioner’s office, the Commissioner’s office determines that:
a) the student does not pose a safety risk to himself/herself or others; and
b) the student does not enjoy any advantages in terms of physical maturity, mental maturity or athletic maturity over other student-athletes; and
c) the student would not likely participate in any meaningful way in any contest or otherwise have any impact on the outcome of any contest in which the student does participate; and
d) there is no evidence of “red-shirting” or other indicia of academic dishonesty.
So, a wrestler could turn 20 at the end of March of his/her senior year. Thus, a two year hold back. Freshman - 17, Sophomore - 18, Junior - 19, Senior - 20.
Old 03-13-18, 11:31 AM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
I don't understand why parents get so upset about this. What is the difference if you are 21 or 24 when you graduate college. Most college grads have no idea what they want to do after college. Instead of working some entry level that they realize they don't like. I would rather have a chance to go into the work force without having to worry about student loan debt. Then being 21 and having a 400 dollar student loan payment where the only way it can be forgiven is when you die.
Not trying to get off on a tangent ... But how does leaving college older, whether because of HS red-shirting or college red-shirting, reduce one's college expenses and cut down on any potential student loans that they might accrue?
Old 03-13-18, 11:33 AM
Freshman

Ryans1906 is on a distinguished road
Let me be clear this happens in all sports it is not limited to wrestling. When you have a 14 year old freshman phenom in football that is varsity ready should he not be able to compete? Also lost in the rhetoric is that in wrestling you tend to wrestle people who are similar in weight unless your Kyle Snyder wrestling Adam Coon. I understand there are other factors that go into the mindset of someone who is 19 vs someone who is 14. If the 14 year old is talented enough to get to the state tournament as a 14 year old I am sure they know how to handle themselves on the mat and likewise if it is their first year wrestling they will need to put in some blood sweat and tears in order to compete with other 14 year year olds let alone high school seniors.
Old 03-13-18, 11:39 AM
Freshman

Being a state placer is a hell of an acheivement no matter how old you are. I was just curious as to what my son is going to be getting into. If wrestling is the path he chooses. When i heard this thruogh a 3rd party i was kinda stunned. I graduated in the mid 90s. And if this was going on it was not talked about or heard about.
Old 03-13-18, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
It's absolutely true and while a state placer is a state place getting all misty eyed over a 16 year old freshman is fine but the reality is its moe like a junior accomplishing the same thing.

That said, you can either join them or get over it. It's a very small minority. Keep yourself and your kid focused on what they can control. It's a cruel world out there and no one cares. Just get to work and remember wrestling is a building block and not the ultimate goal in life.
Old 03-13-18, 11:51 AM
All District

ttwo0603 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON MY MOMMA View Post
So what your saying is a kid thats about to be 20 yrs old (who should be a sophmore in college) can wrestle my 14 yr old son. And people wonder why the sport is a dying sport. So many empty seats at the finals this year. Its sad to see wrestling has come to this point.
The sport is dying?? Your comments can't get anymore ignorant.

Have you seen the prices for the NCAA tickets this weekend!? The demand for wrestling is on the rise! It clearly isn't dying.

P.S. Quit crying, if your son can handle the sport. There is plenty of others for him to participate in

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-18, 12:17 PM
Freshman

Though i dont agree with the rules. They are the rules and probably wont change.i guess if you dont try to get an advantage your not trying.

Have you been to a high school dual meet where it lasts 30 minutes cause of all the forfeits? Its dying. Now because of this they make it a tri meet so it lasts an hour instead of 30 minutes. We use to pack gyms with only 2 teams thats very rare now with a few exceptions.
Old 03-13-18, 12:28 PM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
The original 2-year hold back . . .

Old 03-13-18, 12:32 PM
Varsity

Penguin is on a distinguished road
OHSAA should have made the age 19 of being done in HS athletics, but they didn't so you cant blame anyone for holding back. In essence, the OHSAA is saying and encouraging hold backs by selecting the age of 20. I would have to think they were aware of the normal age range of kids starting and finishing school. I would not attack a parent for such a decision, but concerns should be directed to the OHSAA. Any future change in age , kids held back should be grandfathered.
Old 03-13-18, 12:46 PM
Freshman

CHINWHIIP is on a distinguished road
Who cares... Cream rises to the top.
Old 03-13-18, 12:48 PM
Freshman

Quote:
As i was chatting with some friends giving praise to these young freshman for acheiving what they did as freshman. And it was brought to my attention that kids are being held back for 1 or 2 yrs to gain an edge on oppnents. Is this true? Are they true freshman? Is this acceptable?
Did these freshman beat any seniors?????
Old 03-13-18, 12:57 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINWHIIP View Post
Did these freshman beat any seniors?????
I'm sure they did, why do you ask?
Old 03-13-18, 01:06 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
OHSAA should have made the age 19 of being done in HS athletics, but they didn't so you cant blame anyone for holding back. In essence, the OHSAA is saying and encouraging hold backs by selecting the age of 20. I would have to think they were aware of the normal age range of kids starting and finishing school. I would not attack a parent for such a decision, but concerns should be directed to the OHSAA. Any future change in age , kids held back should be grandfathered.
I agree, the old rule was just fine. You could participate if you did not turn 19 before some date in Aug or Sep (I don't remember what the date was).

The new date/age is preposterous, but once it was changed you can't really blame the parents.
Old 03-13-18, 01:09 PM
Moderated User

Bellarmine5moreyears is an unknown quantity at this point
zak schoop will be attending legacy christian academy so he can wrestle 106 again next year
Old 03-13-18, 01:10 PM
Varsity

MUCraider06 is on a distinguished road
Its not only happening in wrestling ..
Old 03-13-18, 01:15 PM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
I love my young kids. I want them nurtured in my home as long as possible. I will not allow them to take college level classes when they are in high school. They will take college classes when they are in college. Why rush them through life. If they gain a competitive advantage because they are older so be it. If they are 20 and whip your 14 year old so be it. Maybe you shouldnt rush them through life.
As for me and my family, my kids will stay in a loving environment being raised to treat others respectfully. They will have class regarding everything they do. Schools dont teach this anymore. My kids will be very old next to many of the kids that graduate when they do and if you dont like it to bad.
Life goes by way to fast and I want to spend as much time with my kids before they go into the workforce and college as possible. I trust the morals and ethics of my home and that will be there longest exposure.
All 3 of my kids will turn 20 shortly after graduating. If someone has a problem with it to bad. I can guarantee that my kids will be very well behaved kids that represent themselves, their family and their peers with 100 % class WIN OR LOSE
Old 03-13-18, 01:20 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I'm sure they did, why do you ask?
Well if these 16-17 year old freshman beat a 18-19 year old senior, who cares. The better wrestler won. Case closed, thank you drive thru.
Old 03-13-18, 01:23 PM
Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
Frosh, Soph, Junior, Senior; it's a huge accomplishment to compete at the state level. That being said, holding Johnny back to increase advantage is an absolute joke. Some people have completely lost touch with reality. We know who many of them are......I can rattle off 4 "2018 Frosh" off the top of my head.....and by-and-large, we fans collectively shake our heads. I personally do not shame the kids, but I do shame the parents. Taking advantage of an age ruling developed for those who had developmental issues as a child is the lowest of the low. And don't tell me, "we are not breaking the rules" and "you can do it too". In fact, you are completely breaking the integrity of the rules, and I ABSOLUTELY would not engage in such an act that would make me hold my hand over my eyes when walking through the arena.
Old 03-13-18, 01:34 PM
Freshman

LouieIacoboni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlfan View Post
I love my young kids. I want them nurtured in my home as long as possible. I will not allow them to take college level classes when they are in high school. They will take college classes when they are in college. Why rush them through life. If they gain a competitive advantage because they are older so be it. If they are 20 and whip your 14 year old so be it. Maybe you shouldnt rush them through life.
As for me and my family, my kids will stay in a loving environment being raised to treat others respectfully. They will have class regarding everything they do. Schools dont teach this anymore. My kids will be very old next to many of the kids that graduate when they do and if you dont like it to bad.
Life goes by way to fast and I want to spend as much time with my kids before they go into the workforce and college as possible. I trust the morals and ethics of my home and that will be there longest exposure.
All 3 of my kids will turn 20 shortly after graduating. If someone has a problem with it to bad. I can guarantee that my kids will be very well behaved kids that represent themselves, their family and their peers with 100 % class WIN OR LOSE
I think we all love our young kids. Might as well home school them through their 30's. Cant you get them to behave at 14? Listen I understand circumstances where you would hold back a kid, but your logic made me laugh a bit.
Old 03-13-18, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Though i dont agree with the rules. They are the rules and probably wont change.i guess if you dont try to get an advantage your not trying.

Have you been to a high school dual meet where it lasts 30 minutes cause of all the forfeits? Its dying. Now because of this they make it a tri meet so it lasts an hour instead of 30 minutes. We use to pack gyms with only 2 teams thats very rare now with a few exceptions.
Nope, not a single dual or tri was like this for our school in the past 8 years. Maybe go talk to your AD and tell him to stop scheduling cupcakes so your 14 year old has a good record because of all the forfeits.