Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-18, 10:51 AM
All District

closer617 is on a distinguished road
The jap- whizzer...delgarbino

Congratulations on a state championship. .38 seconds...THE JAP-WHIZZER.....WOW....Is he the new kind of heavy weight????...

Last edited by closer617; 03-11-18 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-18, 11:07 AM
Junior Varsity

Styxbb is on a distinguished road
It was a thing of beauty. Congrats.
Old 03-11-18, 11:17 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
It was really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-18, 11:20 AM
Freshman

LowTrunkOzz is on a distinguished road
Anyone get a video for we working schlubs?!
Old 03-11-18, 11:28 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by closer617 View Post
Congratulations on a state championship. .38 seconds...THE JAP-WHIZZER.....WOW....Is he the new kind of heavy weight????...
It was a well timed, well executed move, but let's take our foot off the pedal a little bit with regard to this being an evolutionary moment.

Congrats to Delgarbino, though. Running the table this year and topping it off with a pin move like that was pretty epic.
Old 03-11-18, 11:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTrunkOzz View Post
Anyone get a video for we working schlubs?!
Spectrum Sports channel is replaying all of the finals on Weds if you have Spectrum.
Old 03-11-18, 12:11 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
It was a well timed, well executed move, but let's take our foot off the pedal a little bit with regard to this being an evolutionary moment.

Congrats to Delgarbino, though. Running the table this year and topping it off with a pin move like that was pretty epic.
It was a great moment for Jack and the city of Girard. For some ....but not all....it's a special moment. EVOLUTIONARY....IN MY EYES...YES
Old 03-11-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Jack's dad won a state title as well and actually pinned his way thru. I bet that will be Jack's goal next year.
Old 03-11-18, 01:40 PM
All World

Quote:
It was a great moment for Jack and the city of Girard. For some ....but not all....it's a special moment. EVOLUTIONARY....IN MY EYES...YES
Absolutely a great moment for the kid (most importantly), his family (second), the school, his coaches, and his city. Hopefully he repeats as well, next year too.

Personally, I just don't see the utility in hyping it up as something evolutionary [i.e "Is he the new kind of heavy weight????..."].

Non-traditional HWTs have won before....a lot (Tommy Rowlands, Patch Garren, Kam Teacher). They'll win it again. In between, traditional plodding leaners will win it. HWTs come in all shapes and sizes and win with varying styles.

Dom Demas was a "non-traditional" 138/145 winning 2 titles and a runner-up without ever attempting many (if any) single leg takedown in the Schott. No one ever suggested he was "the new kind of 145". They simply appreciated his excellence and his different/entertaining style. I think that is what should be done with Delgarbino. The extra hype is as na´ve and is it unnecessary.
Old 03-11-18, 01:58 PM
All District

Quote:
Absolutely a great moment for the kid (most importantly), his family (second), the school, his coaches, and his city. Hopefully he repeats as well, next year too.

Personally, I just don't see the utility in hyping it up as something evolutionary [i.e "Is he the new kind of heavy weight????..."].

Non-traditional HWTs have won before....a lot (Tommy Rowlands, Patch Garren, Kam Teacher). They'll win it again. In between, traditional plodding leaners will win it. HWTs come in all shapes and sizes and win with varying styles.

Dom Demas was a "non-traditional" 138/145 winning 2 titles and a runner-up without ever attempting many (if any) single leg takedown in the Schott. No one ever suggested he was "the new kind of 145". They simply appreciated his excellence and his different/entertaining style. I think that is what should be done with Delgarbino. The extra hype is as na´ve and is it unnecessary.
Ok...what ever....lol ...wow...you mentioned Tommy Rowlands....most of these kids and parents don't even know who he is. I was talking to a parent whos kid took 5th place....i mentioned Sanderson(Penn St .coach).....he didnt know who he was. With that said im going to end this ridiculous conversation with this..."NEVER GET INTO A BATTLE OF WITS WITH A UNARMED MAN"
Old 03-11-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

wdanforth
A couple of pictures.

Old 03-11-18, 06:07 PM
Freshman

LowTrunkOzz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Spectrum Sports channel is replaying all of the finals on Weds if you have Spectrum.
I do not
Old 03-11-18, 06:20 PM
All World

Quote:
With that said im going to end this ridiculous conversation with this..."NEVER GET INTO A BATTLE OF WITS WITH A UNARMED MAN"
You suggest that a DII heavyweight who hit an arm spin on a relatively nondescript opponent to claim his first title might revolutionize an entire weight class and I'm the one who lacks wits? That is weapons grade chutzpah.

Anyway, congrats to Delgardino. Whether he revolutionizes the sport or not, I hope he remains healthy, repeats as champion next year, and gets to wrestle at the next level if he so chooses. Congrats on your state title.
Old 03-11-18, 07:14 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
The fact that either of you would argue for or against an, "evolutionary" anything (Let alone a Jap Whizzer.) has made this thread a lot of fun.
Old 03-11-18, 07:40 PM
All District

Quote:
You suggest that a DII heavyweight who hit an arm spin on a relatively nondescript opponent to claim his first title might revolutionize an entire weight class and I'm the one who lacks wits? That is weapons grade chutzpah.

Anyway, congrats to Delgardino. Whether he revolutionizes the sport or not, I hope he remains healthy, repeats as champion next year, and gets to wrestle at the next level if he so chooses. Congrats on your state title.
MPhillps is right....why did i respond to your reply....BUT NOW I SEE.....YOU MUST BE FROM STUBENVILLE.....PLEASE DONT REPLY
Old 03-11-18, 09:06 PM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Lol, an arm spin is all the rage in folkstyle...lol, again
Old 03-11-18, 09:13 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGTJ View Post
Lol, an arm spin is all the rage in folkstyle...lol, again
B. Dieli showed me. Over and over....
Old 03-11-18, 10:17 PM
Freshman

EOWL is on a distinguished road
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PYLXZUcJeuMiQ71Q2

Not the best quality, but here it is.

Congrats!

Last edited by EOWL; 03-12-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 06:41 AM
Varsity

AmustangE is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Gotta side with Lambeau here. It was an arm spin. Great move, no doubt, but nothing revolutionary or new to the sport. Beautifully timed and well executed, and obviously unanticipated by his opponent (that's the beauty of that move).

With that being said, Lambeau is obviously being respectful and complimentary, while the OP obviously has the agenda that we all recognize Delgarbino as a new breed of heavyweight. So, I'll second Lambeau. Great move. Beautifully done. But nothing earth shattering.

Congratulations on the state title! Clearly well-deserved.
Old 03-13-18, 06:38 AM
All World

Quote:
MPhillps is right....
I think you missed his point entirely.

Quote:
why did i respond to your reply....
Because you're impulsive and your fingers are faster than your brain.

Quote:
YOU MUST BE FROM STUBENVILLE
Clearly I am not or I likely would not have referred to Ely as 'nondescript" #contextclues

It's regrettable you had to add that last 8 words of nonsense on to an otherwise decent post.
Old 03-13-18, 09:03 PM
All District

wlpdrpat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdanforth View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is neither a Jap Whizzer nor an arm spin but these are the most commonly used misnomers for virtually any variation of arm/shoulder throw. Given the obvious gap in Greco-Roman in the US compared to other nations this is of course not surprising. It is actually a low shoulder throw.

A Jap Whizzer is most easily recognized by its similarity in appearance to a lateral drop. It is most often initiated from a head to head tie or ear to ear. A forearm clamp is placed on your opponents head tie arm while your head tie is changed to an underhook on your opponents head tie arm close to the armpit. At the same time that the tie up is switched both feet are jumped to outside of your opponents feet on the same side as the arm tie and you begin to fall back like a classic lateral drop. At the last moment before hitting the ground you switch your hips and throw the underhook across your body. The finish is also very similar to a lateral drop with the cross body cover.

Here is an excellent example:

An arm spin - aka Polish Arm Throw or Polish Arm Spin - is notable by the hips fully clearing your opponents hips to where your ear is on your opponent belly and your buttock is away from the body on the same side as the arm you are spinning on.

Here is a good example:

Differentiating a high shoulder throw from a low shoulder throw is also rather easy. A high shoulder throw finishes with you facing in the same direction as your opponent flexing forward at the hips while staying up on your tip toes. This throw gives risk to being called a high elevation throw/slam in high school wrestling as most often your opponent will hit the mat before you do. Thus the low shoulder throw is a simple modification of the high shoulder throw with the advent of going to your knee at the same time as flexing forward at the hips.

In looking at Delgarbino's throw you can easily see that he is facing in the same direction as his opponent and he is down on one knee. Therefore, the correct name of this throw is a "Low Shoulder Throw".

It is certainly enjoyable to see a HWT wrestler going to a move other than a headlock, bodylock, trip or double leg blast. Delgarbino wrestles more like a big 220 and was certainly dominant among the field this year. However, I don't think he will repeat next year as there are some up and comers that already have their sights on him.
Old 03-13-18, 10:14 PM
All District

This is crazy....everybody says that the heavy weight division is always boring and slow. DELGARBINO does a little more than most heavy weights....like a tilt. I CANT BELIEVE SOMEBODY HAS TO BE NEGATIVE....
Old 03-13-18, 10:40 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Is it more along the lines of this throw?

Just remember Robby Smith throwing Adam Coon with it in 2016, but that was Greco obviously (Starts around 45 seconds).
Old 03-14-18, 06:54 AM
Varsity

AmustangE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is crazy....everybody says that the heavy weight division is always boring and slow. DELGARBINO does a little more than most heavy weights....like a tilt. I CANT BELIEVE SOMEBODY HAS TO BE NEGATIVE....
I don't think people are being intentionally negative, I just think that not everyone sees this as a pivotal moment in the history of heavyweight wrestling. And please understand, I think any kid winning a state championship is a HUGE deal, at any weight.

But take a second (and a deep breath) and look at your OP. "Is he the new kind of heavyweight????" I get it, you're excited, either because it's your kid, or someone you follow closely, or from the school you follow. Or maybe you're just a fan of heavyweights. (I know I am). But regardless, not everyone is going to share in that level of enthusiasm, and when they don't, it isn't meant as a slight against this kid. It was a nice move. A great move. But I saw quite a few throws just as impressive this year. More than any other weight class, the heavyweight division is feast or famine. You have quite a large group of plodding leaners who spend what feels like an eternity hand fighting, or you have big men who are actually athletes, and who move well to get themselves into position for a lat drop, or high crotch, or ankle pick, or some sort of throw. To me, those are the one who are fun to watch.

Either way, congratulations to all of the young men who brought home some hardware this past weekend.