Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 04:30 PM
Varsity

RandyLoathsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
Great history lesson. I would argue, however, that the NE dominance started well before Maple Heights took central stage. Cleveland John Hay (5 titles), Cleveland West Tech (5 titles), Cleveland West (3 titles) and Euclid/Euclid Shore (2 titles) all won multiple titles before Maple Heights won their first title in 1956. And NE schools Wadsworth, Lakewood and Bedford also won titles in the pre-Maple Heights era.

And more on Maple Heights...A ledgendary fight between Maple heights and Mentor broke out and ended up with a US Supreme Court case, Michael Milkovich v. Lorain Journal Company. Milkovich sued the newspaper for libel because they said he lied to the OHSAA when they were investigating the fight between Maple Heights and Mentor. Milkovich was accused of inciting the fight. Maple Heights was suspended from the State Tournament for a year, but (I think) that was overturned in Franklin County Court.

About the fight...Milkovich was going bonkers (imagine a coach doing that) and allegedly incited a brawl in which first his team charged the Mentor team followed by Maple Heights fans. Four Mentor wrestlers were sent to the hospital.
Yeah, no doubt NE Ohio dominated in the 50's and early 60's. I just don't think HS wrestling was that big of a deal then. Then again, I wasn't around back then. I think it peaked in terms of interest and media coverage in Cleveland in the mid-70's. Now days, the Plain Dealer won't even send a reporter out to cover the Eds-Graham match- even if it is in Lakewood.

Back then you could win a state title with two wrestlers (Bay Village did). Today, it's often over by the second session (esp. in D-II). Same with the Cleve. District- St Eds made it a moot point by the early 80's. I'm pretty sure Milkovich is still alive. He's got to be in his 90's. He was old when I saw him coach. All I remember was him raising his fist in the air, demanding that the refs call stalling. Take care.
Old 03-14-18, 12:32 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post
Yeah, no doubt NE Ohio dominated in the 50's and early 60's. I just don't think HS wrestling was that big of a deal then. Then again, I wasn't around back then. I think it peaked in terms of interest and media coverage in Cleveland in the mid-70's. Now days, the Plain Dealer won't even send a reporter out to cover the Eds-Graham match- even if it is in Lakewood.

Back then you could win a state title with two wrestlers (Bay Village did). Today, it's often over by the second session (esp. in D-II). Same with the Cleve. District- St Eds made it a moot point by the early 80's. I'm pretty sure Milkovich is still alive. He's got to be in his 90's. He was old when I saw him coach. All I remember was him raising his fist in the air, demanding that the refs call stalling. Take care.
Milkovich won the case. Went all the way to the U.S Supreme Court. That fist in the air...... a sign of triumph! The old man hardly ever said a word. Only coached kids on his team within city limits. Big Mike is still around. Currently in Key Colony Beach, Florida. Book out about Maple Hts. wrestling. It is called "Mustang".
Old 03-14-18, 06:16 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
My son bought a copy of "Mustang" for me. Last summer I was invited to an annual get-together for Big Mike at a small place in Walton Hills. It was a real honor to meet the legend himself and he signed the book for me.
BTW, according the his nephew Jamie, as of about a month ago, Big Mike is in the area.
Old 03-14-18, 06:44 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
My son bought a copy of "Mustang" for me. Last summer I was invited to an annual get-together for Big Mike at a small place in Walton Hills. It was a real honor to meet the legend himself and he signed the book for me.
BTW, according the his nephew Jamie, as of about a month ago, Big Mike is in the area.
The "Villager" in Walton Hills. Annual event for Big Mike. He is currently down in Fla.
Old 03-14-18, 11:28 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
St. Edward hasnít beaten Graham in 15 years???? No way are they clearly the most dominant program during that time.
how many titles does Graham win if their in div I at the tournament? Div 2 might win 4 matches if the state champs from Div1 would wrestle the state champs from 2.
Old 03-16-18, 12:59 PM
Moderated User

Bellarmine5moreyears is an unknown quantity at this point
who has a higher pitch voice: Nato or Rocky Jordin
Old 03-16-18, 10:39 PM
Freshman

Kevin Contos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
how many titles does Graham win if their in div I at the tournament? Div 2 might win 4 matches if the state champs from Div1 would wrestle the state champs from 2.
Not sure about number of champs from Ghraham in D1 but I am 100% convinced that the st.eds boys are ready to compete at the next level. Their streak for all Americans may be the most impressive record in all sports. They have a great plan and they have kids that love wrestling.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-18, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
hmmm, "Contos." Eastsider?
Old 03-19-18, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure SPG has had their share of all-americans including 2 this year just at tOSU.
Old 03-21-18, 04:04 PM
Freshman

Kevin Contos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
hmmm, "Contos." Eastsider?
Yes

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk