Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-18, 10:09 AM
All American

Big D 185 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Cincy state champs

Congrats to the State Champs from Cincinnati!
Zach Shupp - Fairfield
It was awesome to see Zach come through on his final HS match!! So close so many times, way to finish!
Lucas Byrd - LaSalle
Lucas brings home the championship that has eluded his family. Nice to see Max in the corner. The Lancers first champ since Niel Nyer(SP?)
Jake Thompson - Moeller
The 4X district finalist and two time State Finalist gets it done in convincing fashion. In his usual fired up style he slowly walked on to the stage and went to work. Way to finish Jake!!
Antonio McCloud - Elder
Antonio had to face Sauerine for the 5th time this year, which is always risky. Antonio won in dominating fashion. He had the look of true appreciation for his accomplishments as he fought back tears from the second the final whistle blew. So awesome!
Brian Stears - Williamsburg D3
The monster 285 makes his first trip to the finals this year and brings back gold. He was Heyob's only loss going into the State Tournament. He solidifies his spot as the top HWT in SW Ohio and possibly the best big man in Ohio.

It was unfortunate that two of the State champs listed above had to face another Cincinnati opponent in the finals, but that speaks to the local depth.

The frosh Norris at 106 has a heck of a career in front of him and Sauerine has to be one of the most improved kids in SW Ohio. What a way for the Harrison senior to finish.

Chris Donathan gets one more chance at it next year to add another bracket in his families trophy room.

Austin Murphy was a scramble away from catching GOLD at 160. Austin is one of four (Thompson, McCloud & Heyob) wrestlers who decided that eating and lifting is better than cutting weight and that mentality helped him reach the State Finals.

Jack Heyob came up just short of winning a second State Championship for the Heyob family and a third for Head Coach Tommy Wynn.

The GCL had 3 State champs and were very close to 4 which would have been the first time all 4 schools have had a State Champ. The GMC had 1 with 2 in the finals.

All in all, a great year for SW Ohio wrestling!! It was awesome to see so many of our long time wrestlers fulfill their dreams!!

I for one am very proud of all of you.
Duane Meyer

Last edited by Big D 185; 03-12-18 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Agreed and very well said.

Old 03-12-18, 10:54 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
One of the best performances by Cincinnati ever. There have been a few times that the SW district matched the four champs, but not sure if they've ever had five. And Cincinnati had all four of the SW champs this time, leaving none for the Dayton area. And four champs by four different schools.

Old 03-12-18, 11:13 AM
All Region

ib6ub9
Not to be a Debbie downer but does this only include the division one champs? Congrats to the Williamsburg heavyweight too. He knocked off a good number of the placers from division one and two throughout the year and finished undefeated.
Old 03-12-18, 11:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib6ub9 View Post
Not to be a Debbie downer but does this only include the division one champs? Congrats to the Williamsburg heavyweight too. He knocked off a good number of the placers from division one and two throughout the year and finished undefeated.
My Bad - I forgot about the Stears!! He is a bad dude! I will add him.
Old 03-12-18, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Only to give credit to all of the Cincy wrestlers, do you have a list of all placers and qualifiers? Quite simply, unlike all these workhorses, I am too lazy to go find it.
Old 03-12-18, 03:01 PM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Here is a quick count of SW District placers in D1 ... expected value in each category would be 7 if all of the districts were even:

1/2 = 9
3/4 = 5
5/6 = 10
7/8 = 6
Total = 30

So SW was "above average" (> 28 placers). Hope I counted everyone correctly ...

I think Bucksman did a count of qualifiers from each sectional ... perhaps in the "sticky" posts at the top of the board? That would be an indication of relative strength between sectionals within a district (and there are no surprises for the SW district).
Old 03-12-18, 04:55 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
Here is a quick count of SW District placers in D1 ... expected value in each category would be 7 if all of the districts were even:

1/2 = 9
3/4 = 5
5/6 = 10
7/8 = 6
Total = 30

So SW was "above average" (> 28 placers). Hope I counted everyone correctly ...

I think Bucksman did a count of qualifiers from each sectional ... perhaps in the "sticky" posts at the top of the board? That would be an indication of relative strength between sectionals within a district (and there are no surprises for the SW district).
Westlake( St. Eds), Hamilton( LaSalle), and Brecksville( Brecksville) sectionals were some of the top performing sectionals; to nobody's surpise, the top teams in the state help boost these sectionals.
Old 03-12-18, 08:35 PM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D 185 View Post
Congrats to the State Champs from Cincinnati!
Zach Shupp - Fairfield
It was awesome to see Zach come through on his final HS match!! So close so many times, way to finish!
Lucas Byrd - LaSalle
Lucas brings home the championship that has eluded his family. Nice to see Max in the corner. The Lancers first champ since Niel Nyer(SP?)
Jake Thompson - Moeller
The 4X district finalist and two time State Finalist gets it done in convincing fashion. In his usual fired up style he slowly walked on to the stage and went to work. Way to finish Jake!!
Antonio McCloud - Elder
Antonio had to face Sauerine for the 5th time this year, which is always risky. Antonio won in dominating fashion. He had the look of true appreciation for his accomplishments as he fought back tears from the second the final whistle blew. So awesome!
Brian Stears - Williamsburg D3
The monster 285 makes his first trip to the finals this year and brings back gold. He was Heyob's only loss going into the State Tournament. He solidifies his spot as the top HWT in SW Ohio and possibly the best big man in Ohio.

It was unfortunate that two of the State champs listed above had to face another Cincinnati opponent in the finals, but that speaks to the local depth.

The frosh Norris at 106 has a heck of a career in front of him and Sauerine has to be one of the most improved kids in SW Ohio. What a way for the Harrison senior to finish.

Chris Donathan gets one more chance at it next year to add another bracket in his families trophy room.

Austin Murphy was a scramble away from catching GOLD at 160. Austin is one of four (Thompson, McCloud & Heyob) wrestlers who decided that eating and lifting is better than cutting weight and that mentality helped him reach the State Finals.

Jack Heyob came up just short of winning a second State Championship for the Heyob family and a third for Head Coach Tommy Wynn.

The GCL had 3 State champs and were very close to 4 which would have been the first time all 4 schools have had a State Champ. The GMC had 1 with 2 in the finals.

All in all, a great year for SW Ohio wrestling!! It was awesome to see so many of our long time wrestlers fulfill their dreams!!

I for one am very proud of all of you.
Duane Meyer
Good post but I have a serious question - I've been going to the state tournament for almost 2 decades and I specifically remember at least one year where Cincinnati had exactly ZERO kids wrestling Saturday night, and it seems like most years we had 1 or two wrestling that session. So my question is this - Is this the BEST year ever for Cincinnati wrestling? If not, can someone name a year where Cincinnati area wrestlers had more session 5 wrestlers or even accumulated as many team total points? Seems like in my time, it's never been close to this awesome.
Old 03-12-18, 11:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiz View Post
Good post but I have a serious question - I've been going to the state tournament for almost 2 decades and I specifically remember at least one year where Cincinnati had exactly ZERO kids wrestling Saturday night, and it seems like most years we had 1 or two wrestling that session. So my question is this - Is this the BEST year ever for Cincinnati wrestling? If not, can someone name a year where Cincinnati area wrestlers had more session 5 wrestlers or even accumulated as many team total points? Seems like in my time, it's never been close to this awesome.
1992:
D3- 125 runner-up- Terry Shinkle, Batavia
D2- 112 champ- Shantell Sanders, C.A.P.E
D2- 119 champ- John Noble, Lebanon
D2- 125 champ- Shawn Enright, Lebanon
D1- 103 runner-up- Jason Pender, Princeton
D1- 112 champ- Willie Wineberg, Fairfield
D1- 130 runner-up- Mike Arnold, St. X
D1- 135 runner-up- Brad Hollo, St. X
D1- 145 runner-up- Tom Zinka, Moeller
D1- 189 champ- Scott Ostholthoff, Moeller

Team race results:
D3- Batavia finished 7th
D2- Lebanon finished 3rd
D1- Fairfield finished 3rd
Moeller finished 5th
St. X finished 6th
Princeton finished 12th
Old 03-13-18, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Let's get Eds down there next year to face LaSalle and any other Cincy teams. They have earned the chance. Congrats on a great year for Cincy area and to LaSale in particular.
Old 03-13-18, 01:12 PM
Varsity

Splay Tell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Let's get Eds down there next year to face LaSalle and any other Cincy teams. They have earned the chance. Congrats on a great year for Cincy area and to LaSale in particular.
Why LaSalle in particular?
They were touting possibly knocking off Ed's and finished 4th, 75 points out of 1st and 50 out of 2nd.
Old 03-13-18, 01:28 PM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splay Tell View Post
Why LaSalle in particular?
They were touting possibly knocking off Ed's and finished 4th, 75 points out of 1st and 50 out of 2nd.
Not speaking for what he meant by LaSalle in particular, but from I've seen I don't think there will be a team in the Cincinnati area that will come close to them next year. As far as team points at state not sure what happened to Bledsoe but Elan Heard was injured and the younger Heard wrestled great just had a bad draw. And that's 3 non placers that I think they were expecting more from. Not saying that would have beaten Ed's but no idea how many points that would have given them
Old 03-13-18, 01:58 PM
All Ohio

white_chocolate is on a distinguished road
From what I heard from the coaches all along, no one internally at LaSalle felt there was any chance that they could realistically beat Ed's in a dual or individual state this year. Maybe from some overzealous fans perhaps?
Old 03-14-18, 06:17 AM
All District

tiger49

103-Mark Mathis Runner up Princeton
130-Zack Flake-Runner up Lakota West
130-Kris Kuykendall Champ Madeira
135-Chris Seta Champ Reading
140-Matt McIntire Champ Lakota West
152-Joe Gadson RunnerUp Fairfield
171-Hetag Pliev Champ Lakota West
Heavy- Ben Ryan Champ Monroe
Lakota West top 5
Reading Top 5
Madeira Top 10
Old 03-14-18, 12:45 PM
All World

Mr. Bojengo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post

103-Mark Mathis Runner up Princeton
130-Zack Flake-Runner up Lakota West
130-Kris Kuykendall Champ Madeira
135-Chris Seta Champ Reading
140-Matt McIntire Champ Lakota West
152-Joe Gadson RunnerUp Fairfield
171-Hetag Pliev Champ Lakota West
Heavy- Ben Ryan Champ Monroe
Lakota West top 5
Reading Top 5
Madeira Top 10
Pliev was Lak East.
Old 03-14-18, 04:09 PM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Wasn't there a year Moeller finished 2nd? I might be mistaken though...
Old 03-14-18, 04:17 PM
All American

Fun2Bme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fun2Bme
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiz View Post
Wasn't there a year Moeller finished 2nd? I might be mistaken though...
They have been runner up on 2 occasions.
Old 03-14-18, 10:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Bme View Post
They have been runner up on 2 occasions.
Yelp. 2000, 2001, 2007( best squad to date; scored over100pts at state( no Cincy team has done that); 2 champs, 6 placers.
Old 03-15-18, 07:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Yelp. 2000, 2001, 2007( best squad to date; scored over100pts at state( no Cincy team has done that); 2 champs, 6 placers.
I think at one point they had the highest point total for a runner-up. 2007 Ed's team was incredible.
Old 03-15-18, 07:49 AM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Wasn't Lasalle close to 100 pts this year? I'm to lazy to look but I thought they were up there.
Old 03-15-18, 10:04 AM
All American

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
Wasn't Lasalle close to 100 pts this year? I'm to lazy to look but I thought they were up thbere.
They had something like 94 or 96pts. , but had a few injuries to a couple of kids capable of adding to that.

Last edited by darthmalice; 03-15-18 at 06:51 PM.