Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-18, 08:05 PM
Freshman

KB1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillNeutral View Post
There is nothing in the book that you "must return" your opponet, it does say you "must make an attempt".
Can you also explain "emotional time out" and what u are specifically referring to with that
I assume your argument then is that the Graham wrestler wasn't stalling on top in that match? If so, then why is the exact same situation called in so MANY other matches and for so many years? Also I will gladly explain the "emotional time out" I'm specifically referring to in this particular match. It was when the Graham wrestler took a time out late in the match for no apparent reason, while there didn't seem to be any obvious injury such as ankle, knee, shoulder or even so much as a stoved pinky finger. I believe the the SVSM wrestler took the Graham wrestler out of his usual match that he's used to and that was probably the reason for the time out? But I feel the Graham time out back fired and seemed to give the SVSM coach time for some words or strategy that instilled even more confidence in his wrestler. However the "emotional time outs" are not just this limited to this match or this tournament, I see it all the time in many high school wrestling events where wrestlers just simply signal to the ref they need a break.
Old 03-12-18, 09:21 PM
Freshman

Clark Kent is on a distinguished road
#teamluke I say let them haters hate
Old 03-12-18, 10:04 PM
Freshman

jfide650 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
It also be nice if the official would look into the OBVIOUS "no call" on the defensive pin right in front of the match refs eyes that was clear as day !! It would also be nice if the refs would look into and review the THREE no stall calls against Graham when the STVM wrestler immediately stood to his feet from bottom position and the Graham wrestler never returned opponent to mat. 1st stand up STVM was on his feet 15+ seconds then stalemate to a fresh start , then the 2nd and 3rd stand ups were 10+ seconds each and never a stall call only stalemates ???? Haven't these stall calls against the top wrestler been made MANY times in way less than 10 seconds in other many other matches in this years tournament? Isn't is very clear in the rule book that you must return your opponent to the mat if you are the top wrestler? ALSO, Ohio really should look into all the "emotional" time outs so many kids are taking in this era. Are the time outs not supposed to be only "injury" time outs?? If the proper stall calls were made in regulation this match it doesn't even get to OT. In my opinion the STVM wrestler was more composed and the sharper wrestler in this match and absolutely deserved the win. AND then he proved he deserved to be a state champ in the finals as well !!
As an official, I would like to clear up what YOU THINK the offensive wrestler must do to avoid a stall call when both wrestlers are on their feet vs what THE RULE BOOK ACTUALLY SAYS.
Rule 7 - Infractions
Section 6 - Stalling
Article 4 - It is stalling when the contestant in the advantage position:
d - Stays behind the opponent while on his/her feet, MAKING NO ATTEMPT TO BRING THE OPPONENT TO THE MAT.
When the offensive wrestler is no longer making an honest attempt to return the defensive wrestler to mat, they are then called for stalling. There is NO set amount of time for this to occur. When the coaches start counting it just proves to me their lack of knowledge of the rules. The ONLY stalling call with a set amount of time is when the offensive wrestler legally holds the heel to the buttocks while the defensive wrestler is broken down on the mat for more than five seconds.
As far as giving a time-out for injury when a wrestler requests it, we MUST give it to him. Do I feel that injury time-outs are used when a wrestler is just gassed, sure I do. But I cannot judge who is injured and who is not injured. The only thing that the rule book says about your "emotional time-outs" is "taking an injury time-out for a non-injury situation is unethical. (See Coaches Code of Ethics, in Appendix E.)"
Old 03-12-18, 11:52 PM
Humble Moderator

Refman is on a distinguished road
Love these comments lol...too bad those arguing at times have no clue what the rules are.
Hey...they could take my class
Old 03-13-18, 12:20 AM
Freshman

KB1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfide650 View Post
As an official, I would like to clear up what YOU THINK the offensive wrestler must do to avoid a stall call when both wrestlers are on their feet vs what THE RULE BOOK ACTUALLY SAYS.
Rule 7 - Infractions
Section 6 - Stalling
Article 4 - It is stalling when the contestant in the advantage position:
d - Stays behind the opponent while on his/her feet, MAKING NO ATTEMPT TO BRING THE OPPONENT TO THE MAT.
When the offensive wrestler is no longer making an honest attempt to return the defensive wrestler to mat, they are then called for stalling. There is NO set amount of time for this to occur. When the coaches start counting it just proves to me their lack of knowledge of the rules. The ONLY stalling call with a set amount of time is when the offensive wrestler legally holds the heel to the buttocks while the defensive wrestler is broken down on the mat for more than five seconds.
As far as giving a time-out for injury when a wrestler requests it, we MUST give it to him. Do I feel that injury time-outs are used when a wrestler is just gassed, sure I do. But I cannot judge who is injured and who is not injured. The only thing that the rule book says about your "emotional time-outs" is "taking an injury time-out for a non-injury situation is unethical. (See Coaches Code of Ethics, in Appendix E.)"
Are there different versions of the rule book that Ohio officials utilize ?? Just kidding, but I do not think , I KNOW I see this situation called as stalling in MANY matches all the time by various officials , and even at the 2018 State Tournament! I also KNOW that Ohio officials are the most inconsistent with stalling calls, (whether it be "no calls" or "calls" ) of all the states I have witnessed high school wrestling. It is a fact that PA has incredibly consistent officiating so you know what to expect, there are very few surprises where stalling is concerned and therefore few matches decided by stalling.
As far as the "emotional time outs" , I know officials must allow a time out when signaled. I was simply making an observation, I honestly do not have an answer on how to stop it and don't really see an answer.
One last question, being an Ohio official that is educated on the rule book, were the calls made in the match proper and did the SVSM wrestler deserve the victory?
Old 03-13-18, 06:52 AM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
The official on that match is a good official and has reffed several State tournaments. I only watched the match once.

I kind of saw it the way 'cvwrestle' posted earlier on this thread. Probably would have laid off the flee call there since he was already out of bounds. Look like he kicked him in the face. Has to be called. Figure 4 on the head, has to be called.

A little quick on the two. We all wave off a call sometimes. I like Refman's philosophy for the most part that if you wait, it will still be two if it was before. Sometimes though that can backfire.

There really isn't any controversy here.