Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-18, 06:04 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Will there be cake? For the denture wearers.

All hail the leader - as Reggie said, the straw that stirs the drink: OWK - !
Old 08-15-18, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Although we've only been on Yappi since August 1, 2016, our beginning was way back in December, 2001. Some members have used more than one screen name and some had to (or wanted to) change screen names when we switched from JJ Huddle to
Yappi.

... If I've overlooked anyone, I apologize in advance:

14Red, assumption, barney, beentherebefore, Bevo, BGFalcons82, capwings, coldshoulder, Diva, Diva_31, dorciepatrick, Doubledribble, doug, eaton7911, fbbfan, First Team SCL, fritz_19, Gardens35, Green&Gold, grub, ivfan, hookshot, "JB" (johnstown_bennie), JoeA1010, Knite Flyer, kojack_00, Lancer '65, Mighty Mouse, Mr. Farnsworth, One_Who_Knows, plotipod, prescott, rdlwolverine, ShaunD, shstiger73, stoney20, storm, tagger, Tags31, troy_boy73, Tun Tavern, YTOWN and Zunardo

Looking forward to the AARP Thread's 17th anniversary in December. Keep up the good work.

ROCK ON!
Some of those people are active on Yappi under their same name..
(IE: YTOWN - very knowledgeable on NEO football)

I use the same moniker on almost all the web sites that I visit.

I basically quit posting on JJ's for 2 reasons...
1) They started to charge.
2) A Mod that was uneducated (a little power goes to some people's heads)

The final straw...
A Mod locked up a thread I started when Western Union stopped their 'Telegram' service
in 2006 because the post was in all CAPS - which I did because that's the way 'WIRES'
were delivered.

example of my post my post...
Code:
EFFECTIVE 2006-01-27, WESTERN UNION WILL DISCONTINUE ALL TELEGRAM AND COMMERCIAL 
MESSAGING SERVICES STOP WE REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE YOU STOP
WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOYAL PATRONAGE STOP QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS PLEASE CONTACT 
A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE STOP
-----

NOTE: All Caps...

Example of a Western Union Telegram, 1959. Note that the message text is a
continuous strip of paper which was cut and glued to the telegram form.

( Full size... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...n_Telegram.jpg )

Telegram to President Truman... If only he had paid attention.

( Full size... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegr..._Hochiminh.jpg )

:>---

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
~ Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

SF
Old 08-15-18, 01:58 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I wish I could still be dorciepatrick (like I was on JJHuddle), but I was already registered on Yappi when the Huddle went down.
That moniker is a combo of my two oldest kids' names.
Oh well. In the big picture of things, it's not a huge deal.

GREAT post, OWK.
Old 08-15-18, 02:57 PM
All American

The Huddle was fun; got a little "tired" near the end. Like us!

I was reflecting on that list of 1961 songs. I turned 10 in late August of that year (so did dorciepatrick).

The song list has a foot firmly planted in older, more traditional music (mom and pop stuff). Just a few thoughts:

Elvis was on there twice I believe. I was never a huge Elvis fan. Someone had to be first and it was probably him, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee, Bill Hailey, etc. I believe the control the Beatles took of their career(s) was in response to seeing what happened when the hacks took over Elvis.

Bert Kaempfert - knew the song; that's about it.

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - still sounds great and part of that great wave of girl groups that made guys like me melt.

Lawrence Welk - I know thIs song but I am sure I did not like it way back then. For some reason reminds me of Mike Pence

Chubby Cheeker -STILL twistin'! Belongs in the Hall under that pioneer category.

Blue Moon - still makes you want to move around.

Runaway Del Shannon - a rocker, along with maybe Duane Eddy, who is somewhat forgotten. One of these guys was interested in joining the Travelin Wilburys. Committed suicide?

Ernie Doe? Surprised by the hair on this dude.

Rick Nelson - Ozzie had him sing on a lark and another career was created. Serious musician. Almost too good looking. I've told the story too many times but I saw him sing in '82 at a bar (The Hollow Inn) between Tiffin and Upper Sandsuky. The smell of bleach blondes permeated the air. There were 40-year old moms there who would have run off with him - several tried, I believe.

Running Scared - nice to see the hip Wilburys have Roy O. in the group. Sadly passed right after and did not get that second career bounce. Immortalized in Springsteen's Thunder Road - "Roy Obison playing for the lonely."

Pat Boone - reduced today to sitting in a shower with his clothes on. Unrepentant usurper to many Black performers and their songs.

Quarter 'til Three - YEAH! Play it louder!! More!!! Turn it up all the way!!!!

Tossin' and Turnin - it's a catchy song and just reminds me of people running around in a movie.

Joe Dowell?

I was at camp things and outings where people sang Michael Row Your Boat. It also reminds me of movies where some nut job (usually a guy) breaks the serenity of the moment by doing or saying something really stupid. (Or getting a nose bleed when a 15-year old blonde hottie sits on some guy's 13-year old lap - just saying... .)

Bobby Vee - Dylan's friend from Fargo. Gave Bob one of his first jobs as a piano player.

Brother Ray - Hit The Road Jack. Great sentiment and the Rayettes and Ray make me wish I was Black and could sing like this. Still sounds great today.

Runaround Sue - Dion was smooth and that doo wop sound of his could run the register of notes. Good stuff! Still performs.

Jimmy Dean - with one foot ni folk/country and the other in a bucket of sausage, Jimmy Dean was pretty cool. His tv show was known to showcase edgier singers, for that time.

The Marvelletes - more of that sexy girl group stuff. The Beatles covered Hey Mr. Postman.

The Tokens - I am pretty sure if When The Lion Sleeps Tonight came out today it would be a hit.

While the world listened to all of this, off in Liverpool there was a cellar full of noise and a line outside the door waiting to get in.

Last edited by Bevo; 08-15-18 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 04:56 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Thanks Monclova Steve and, for what it's worth, I still think of you as dorciepatrick.

Bevo - Loved your reflections. Those and your "bevos" have added much to our thread over the years. Your diverse comments have always interested me.

Quote:
Although we've only been on Yappi since August 1, 2016, our beginning was way back in December, 2001. Some members have used more than one screen name and some had to (or wanted to) change screen names when we switched from JJ Huddle to Yappi.

Although some members have been more active than others, here's an incomplete list of those who were so valuable when we were on JJ Huddle. Below is a list of over 40 participants who posted more than one or two times. The names in bold have also been active on Yappi, but maybe under a different screen name. grub was a prominent member and poster for years. If I've overlooked anyone, I apologize in advance:

14Red, assumption, barney, beentherebefore, Bevo, BGFalcons82, capwings, coldshoulder, Diva, Diva_31, dorciepatrick, Doubledribble, doug, eaton7911, fbbfan, First Team SCL, fritz_19, Gardens35, Green&Gold, grub, ivfan, hookshot, "JB" (johnstown_bennie), JoeA1010, Knite Flyer, kojack_00, Lancer '65, Mighty Mouse, Mr. Farnsworth, One_Who_Knows, plotipod, prescott, rdlwolverine, ShaunD, shstiger73, stoney20, storm, tagger, Tags31, troy_boy73, Tun Tavern, YTOWN and Zunardo

Looking forward to the AARP Thread's 17th anniversary in December. Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Some of those people are active on Yappi under their same name..
(IE: YTOWN - very knowledgeable on NEO football)
ohiopup - Sorry if there was some confusion. I was referring to only the AARP Boys thread on Yappi, not all of the forums on Yappi. Yes, many of us are more than aware of YTOWN. He is a super trivia guy. Although he focuses on high school football, he is also excellent in high school hoops (especially NE Ohio). The reason I did not highlight his name is due to the fact that he hasn't been active on the AARP Thread on Yappi. He was a regular on the AARP Thread on JJ Huddle and his expertise was always appreciated. He's one of a number of super trivia experts who have visited this site.

Again, sorry if there was any confusion! Keep up the good work of posting specific information for certain dates in history, as well as the music videos.

ROCK ON!
Old 08-15-18, 06:27 PM
All American

Bevo,
Yes, we both entered our double figures in August of '61. Coming up behind us was the lovely Mrs. M who achieved the mature age of 6 that same month.

Of course, for her the immediate future may have been the challenge of 1st grade.....but she certainly wasn't aware that the aforementioned dorciepatrick was looming large a couple of decades into the future.

What more could someone possibly ask for?
Old 08-16-18, 08:00 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Wonderful postings, gentlemen.

I met knite flyer once. I wonder where he went?

In '61 I was 4. I used to dance to the music on The Lawrence Welk Show" every Saturday (?) night. It was one of my grandma's favorite shows. I used to aspire to being a singer on that show, as I started singing/performing when I was very young.

I was never an Elvis fan either, Bevo. I did like a few of his songs, but he never was a favorite.

Ricky Nelson had two gorgeous twin sons, Matthew and Gunnar. I loved their long blond hair! I was very much into the long hair of the day. My husband had very long hair, too, at the time. He still wears it over his collar.

Do you guys watch "Once Upon a Time"? He resembles Mr. Gold, only better looking. He's always being told he looks like him. Just this past Sunday a woman we don't know told him that again.
Old 08-16-18, 09:30 AM
All World

Sad day as we lost another legend. Aretha Franklin, "The Queen of Soul", has died at the age of 76. The first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, she achieved commercial acclaim and success with songs such as "Respect", "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", "Spanish Harlem", "Chain Of Fools", , and "Think". Here's her 1967 #1 song, "Respect", written by Otis Redding.

RIP Aretha Franklin!
Old 08-16-18, 09:40 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
RESPECT to Aretha Franklin. I love her songs.
Old 08-16-18, 09:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
RESPECT to Aretha Franklin. I love her songs.
Amen Diva and what a coincidence! Elvis, The King of Rock and Roll, and Aretha, The Queen of Soul, both leaving us on the same day, August 16th.

RIP "Queen of Soul"
Old 08-16-18, 10:39 AM
All American

No matter how long I have had special people in my life like Aretha, when they pass to Heaven I always wish that I had them longer. Their time on this Earth is never long enough.
Is that a selfish wish on my part? You better believe it!
We'll remember you with great fondness, Aretha. You brought us so much joy.
Old 08-16-18, 12:34 PM
All American

R-E-S-P-E-C-T - RIP - The Queen of soul.

(That is an amazing coincidence!)
Old 08-16-18, 01:14 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Amen Diva and what a coincidence! Elvis, The King of Rock and Roll, and Aretha, The Queen of Soul, both leaving us on the same day, August 16th.

RIP "Queen of Soul"

Perhaps even more amazing than "The King of Rock and Roll" and" The Queen of Soul" dying on the same date of August 16th is the fact that "The Father of The Blues", Robert Johnson also died on August 16th.

Robert Johnson also has the dubious honor of being the first member of the infamous "27 Club" for musicians.

Another notable person with a royalty nickname, although not a musician, was "The Sultan of Swat", Babe Ruth who
passed on August 16th.

JB
Old 08-16-18, 02:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Perhaps even more amazing than "The King of Rock and Roll" and" The Queen of Soul" dying on the same date of August 16th is the fact that "The Father of The Blues", Robert Johnson also died on August 16th.

Robert Johnson also has the dubious honor of being the first member of the infamous "27 Club" for musicians.

Another notable person with a royalty nickname, although not a musician, was "The Sultan of Swat", Babe Ruth who
passed on August 16th.

JB
"JB" - Amazing and unbelievably coincidental information. If I were Prince Harry or King James, in the future I'd be very careful on this date.

ROCK ON!
Old 08-16-18, 08:07 PM
All American

Some members of the 27 club: J. Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain. Brian Jones, Robert Johnson, members of The Dead, The Stooges, Canned Heat, Bad Finger and others.

Quiz Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometime tomorrow...probably mid day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: