Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-20-08, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Edge86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edssports View Post
I heard from a few sophmore parents(juniors next year) that some of the kids had some bad experiences on JV last year and are no longer playing football. I hope that this is just a rumor because the 2010 and 2011 classes were suppose to have some real talent and that was the 2 years that they were supposed to make a serious run. Anyone else hear anything??

Can you define a bad experience?

Maybe they weren't starters and didn't see much playing time? Every year somebody drops off especially if they know they won't be seeing the field a great deal of the time.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

edssports is on a distinguished road
The person i talked to, his kid was a starter last year. He also told me at the football meeting last week that he did not see many juniors there. i was there to but i couldn't make that observation. I guess alot of it last year was Coach George, and the way they were treated. I heard though that there is a new coach this year for the JV team. I think it is Kevin Gallagher, but don't quote me on that.
Old 05-21-08, 08:59 AM
War Room

GencoEd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edssports View Post
I think it is Kevin Gallagher, but don't quote me on that.
I can find out if that's true....

The Rugby team beat Ignatius/Ohio City/St. Wendy's 17-10 last night...
Old 05-21-08, 09:32 AM
Freshman

eaglefan32 is on a distinguished road
the new v coach is kevin gallagher....there are supposedly kids quitting, but no big names that ive heard. I think its getting blown out of proportion
Old 05-21-08, 09:32 AM
Freshman

eaglefan32 is on a distinguished road
correction above:jv...my bad
Old 05-21-08, 06:59 PM
Varsity

edsfootball10 is on a distinguished road
coach George was a good coach the guy knew how to run a team and call the right plays, as for a having a bad experience anyone on jv is gonna have it , every day you get to be the whipping post for the starting varsity guys. Overall though you come to understand that your helping your team.
Old 05-21-08, 08:05 PM
All Ohio

I heard George was going down to freshman to help Irbus. Any truth to that?
Old 05-21-08, 10:21 PM
Junior Varsity

F/Bball
from my understanding coach george and coach casola are moving down to freshman and coach gallagher is moving up. freshman coach miranda isn't coaching next year so coach george will call the offense and coach the qb's and rb's and coach casola will be coaching the recievers
Old 05-22-08, 08:59 AM
Varsity

oldeaglefan
Coach George is a fantastic coach and extremely knowledgable, I have been a fan of his and if anyone knows him you know how hard he works for the kids.

If anything George should be moving up our staff and not down to freshmen ( no knock on freshmen coaches they are very important).

I agree w/ the previous post JV stinks for every soph and at St. Ed's you either are ready to play or wait your turn. It's not a coaches fault.
Old 05-22-08, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Why not quit the St Eds foootball team? I mean, who wants to be an Eagle anyway???

(go wildcats)
Old 05-22-08, 12:41 PM
War Room

Ooooh, the humanity!!!
Old 05-22-08, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
I don't think kids leaving the program from the soph to junior level is any different at any other high school. It happens each year as the competition narrows for starting positions and playing time. A boat load of kids come out their freshmen year and lots get to play because of two teams, the soph year narrows down the opportunities to play with only one team. A number of players going into their junior year understand that the junior year and senior year are very competitive for starting positions and playing time. These students opt to spend their time elsewhere.

I can't believe SVFB said that...where's Edge when SVFB needs to be reigned in?
Old 05-22-08, 09:52 PM
All American

ams eds fan

Oh dear god! Underclassmen have infiltrated and are bringing their intellectual incompetency with them!

"Irbus"? Really?
C'mon now freshman, it is U-R-B-A-S.
Old 05-23-08, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

my fault, siter
Old 05-23-08, 03:50 PM
All Ohio

WarriorDee
edssports, check your private messages.
Old 05-23-08, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

warriordee i did get it and sent a reply.
Old 05-24-08, 11:23 PM
Varsity

edsfootball10 is on a distinguished road
people quit every year, I know of alot of guys who say football just is not fun any more to them. I couple guys quit just due to the fact they know they wont play, others no matter if they start or not realize they can make the team better, thats why every year the freshmen at eds win like 10 or 9 games because they have a great team, then by the time they are seniors maybe 35-40 of the original 90-100 are on the team
Old 05-28-08, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

My freshman year (1983) we had a very large number of freshman play football. I know it was around 120 kids and we had two teams. The sophomore and junior classes in 1983 were loaded with outstanding players. Over the 4 years I have to bet over half quit the team at some point.

Many outstanding players fell off each year because playing time was tough to come by starting with the JV year. Some kids practiced for 4 years hardly sniffing the field junior and senior years but wanted to be a part of something special. I personally could have stayed home and played in the SWC starting 3 years but I took the hard road at St. Edward that was loaded with talent and paid my dues and was rewarded by finally starting on offense, returning punts and kicks and getting the ultimate experience in playing for a high school state championship in the Shoe at Ohio State.

The guys who never started were a huge part of our success by what they brought each day in practice. Those kids in my eyes were winners as much as the starters. I found out that alot of times the guys who never got to start competed harder in practices during the week. It was a time to shine for them and it pushed the guys who were already starting to be at a higher level of play in practice because the 2's wanted what the 1's already had.

Last edited by Edge86; 05-28-08 at 01:04 PM..
Old 05-28-08, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
All of this talk about what happens over the four years is correct. It's also why the current senior class at St. X was so remarkable. 70 seniors were on the X football roster this year.
Old 05-28-08, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
All of this talk about what happens over the four years is correct. It's also why the current senior class at St. X was so remarkable. 70 seniors were on the X football roster this year.
CatAlum agrees with Edge, next the four horsemen shall ride the earth (lol).
Old 05-28-08, 01:53 PM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge86 View Post
My freshman year (1983) we had a very large number of freshman play football. I know it was around 120 kids and we had two teams. The sophomore and junior classes in 1983 were loaded with outstanding players. Over the 4 years I have to bet over half quit the team at some point.

Many outstanding players fell off each year because playing time was tough to come by starting with the JV year. Some kids practiced for 4 years hardly sniffing the field junior and senior years but wanted to be a part of something special. I personally could have stayed home and played in the SWC starting 3 years but I took the hard road at St. Edward that was loaded with talent and paid my dues and was rewarded by finally starting on offense, returning punts and kicks and getting the ultimate experience in playing for a high school state championship in the Shoe at Ohio State.

The guys who never started were a huge part of our success by what they brought each day in practice. Those kids in my eyes were winners as much as the starters. I found out that alot of times the guys who never got to start competed harder in practices during the week. It was a time to shine for them and it pushed the guys who were already starting to be at a higher level of play in practice because the 2's wanted what the 1's already had.
Your salute to 2nd teamers or scout teamers is right on. Ever read Chuck Kyle's "Object of the Game"? He shares his feelings about the role of scout players at Saint Ignatius.

And Edge, at which SouthWestern Conference School would you have played? And would we have been picking Bulldog cleats out of your helmet?
Old 05-28-08, 02:09 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
And Edge, at which SouthWestern Conference School would you have played? And would we have been picking Bulldog cleats out of your helmet?
LOL, funny one Fallsdog, he would have been the EAGLE of a different color.
Old 05-28-08, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
I noticed that the city of Lakewood was hosting the state rugby tourny this past weekend at Garfield. Does anyone know the results?
Old 05-28-08, 09:28 PM
All Yappi

I watched some of it. The Westerville Worms are eons ahead of every other team in Ohio and won easily. They are huge in comparison to their opponents and draw players from 6-7 schools. Most of them have MAC football-level size and physiques...or better...neither Ed's nor Ignatius (Ohio City Warriors) had anywhere near the physical attributes of these kids. A pyrrhic victory for OCW was that they were the only team in Ohio this year to score a try (rugby equivalent of a touchdown) against the Worms...OCW still lost big. I was told that St. Ed's lost to Parma (a surprise) and, as a result, didn't play the Worms.

For the season, I believe that OCW and St. Ed's were 2-2 against one another. Overall, the Ed's and OCW rugby programs now appear to be about equal.
Old 05-29-08, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE
St. Eds was at a decided disadvantage to the OCW in the game as the Eagles seniors were attending graduation at Lakewood Civic Auditorium. Bad timing, but those things happen.
Old 05-29-08, 10:07 AM
War Room

Quote:
For the season, I believe that OCW and St. Ed's were 2-2 against one another. Overall, the Ed's and OCW rugby programs now appear to be about equal.
Of those 4 matches, how many were A-side, how many were B-side, development, etc?
Old 05-29-08, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE View Post
St. Eds was at a decided disadvantage to the OCW in the game as the Eagles seniors were attending graduation at Lakewood Civic Auditorium. Bad timing, but those things happen.
My friends in the rugby business tell me it's bad form to mention these kind of things. They say things like "no quarter asked, none given". They also tell me it's bad form to complain that one school brings down it's B siders to play in the C side city championship game.

From what I was told and observed, it appears that Ignatius has a slight edge at B and C and St. Ed's had a slightly better A side. In the city tournament, Ed's won A and C (winning over OCW in both) and did not compete at B and Ignatius won B yesterday over Shaker.

The 2-2 record was A side only.

Last edited by CatAlum; 05-29-08 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-29-08, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsdog View Post
Your salute to 2nd teamers or scout teamers is right on. Ever read Chuck Kyle's "Object of the Game"? He shares his feelings about the role of scout players at Saint Ignatius.

FD,

Never read the book but would like too.

And to answer your 2nd question...not a chance in H.... In '86 those Eagles were running all over the SWC with Brad Strnad (MVP of SWC) and Rich Frimmel leading the way. Strnad left after his freshman year at St.Edward seeing the long line of talented running backs at the school. I believe they won the SWC that season and I always wondered how great that North Olmsted team would have been if myself, our quarterback (Kevin Krueger) three starting offensive lineman (Ray Jenne, Mike Konopka, Pat Kennedy), wideout (Dennis Baker) and starting a defensive tackle (Matt Birchmier) all decided to stay in our city of North Olmsted.

We as a group went to several SWC games that season on Friday nights and without any doubt would have walked over everyone in the SWC without breaking a sweat.
Old 05-29-08, 07:29 PM
Oderint dum metuant

JazzyJeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My friends in the rugby business tell me it's bad form to mention these kind of things. They say things like "no quarter asked, none given". They also tell me it's bad form to complain that one school brings down it's B siders to play in the C side city championship game.

From what I was told and observed, it appears that Ignatius has a slight edge at B and C and St. Ed's had a slightly better A side. In the city tournament, Ed's won A and C (winning over OCW in both) and did not compete at B and Ignatius won B yesterday over Shaker.

The 2-2 record was A side only.
I believe the A side was 3-1 against OCW this year, as their loss to OCW was the Eagles first ever. Tough luck, Ed's had their chances against Parma and lost, setting themselves up for a senior-less team later that day. Good teams persevere.

Tough loss to chew on for nine months.
Old 05-30-08, 12:11 PM
Varsity

oldeaglefan
I was checking out the Herbstreit Classic schedule for next year.... Anyone know why we never have gone back after waxing that team from Arkansas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: