Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-13-17, 08:20 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Obviously Taco doesn't watch the Reds broadcasts, he just trolls on message boards and slams other peoples opinions on things they know more about than he does...
Well that isn't true. You know I slam your opinion because you are absolutely wrong on everything you post about.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old 10-13-17, 08:22 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Contrary to your opinion, which few share, Billy has alot of value and the Reds certainly aren't going to give him away. He's an elite defensive player and possesses speed that few have in baseball. His inability to get on base is an issue, but as I've said here dozens of times, when he's on base, he's a treat to score more than just about anyone else in the game.
Contrary to your opinion, Billy isn't that valuable. If he was teams would be offering god father deals for him. He would be a great 4th outfielder and pinch runner. Yes, I'm aware he is an elite defensive player and possesses speed that few have in baseball. I've already said that in this thread. Try learning to read. As I've said on here dozens of time, it doesn't matter if he's a treat to score if he can't get on base.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-13-17, 12:49 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 998
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Contrary to your opinion, Billy isn't that valuable. If he was teams would be offering god father deals for him. He would be a great 4th outfielder and pinch runner. Yes, I'm aware he is an elite defensive player and possesses speed that few have in baseball. I've already said that in this thread. Try learning to read. As I've said on here dozens of time, it doesn't matter if he's a treat to score if he can't get on base.
The Reds are better with Winker or Ervin in the outfield especially if the saved dollars are spent on pitching.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-13-17, 08:59 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,876
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Contrary to your opinion, which few share, Billy has alot of value and the Reds certainly aren't going to give him away. He's an elite defensive player and possesses speed that few have in baseball. His inability to get on base is an issue, but as I've said here dozens of times, when he's on base, he's a treat to score more than just about anyone else in the game.
Unfortunately he gets on base less than just about anyone else in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-14-17, 03:04 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is online now
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 795
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Unfortunately he gets on base less than just about anyone else in the game.
Yep.
Kind of like the big fat kid in Little League. You know, the guy who everybody would say "Boy, you should see it go when he gets a hold of one". Trouble is, he only got a hold of one about twice a year.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-16-17, 08:20 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Contrary to your opinion, Billy isn't that valuable. If he was teams would be offering god father deals for him. He would be a great 4th outfielder and pinch runner. Yes, I'm aware he is an elite defensive player and possesses speed that few have in baseball. I've already said that in this thread. Try learning to read. As I've said on here dozens of time, it doesn't matter if he's a treat to score if he can't get on base.
So you must be in favor of giving him away? Look, all you do is troll on here and criticize others opinions, so which is it. You want to trade Billy and get some windfall in return, but you also say he's not valuable? Which is it?

And as I've said on here many, many times...Billy does score as much as many guys who get on base alot more than he does. The goal is to score, not get on base. You don't get credit for being stranded on base.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-16-17, 09:22 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So you must be in favor of giving him away? Look, all you do is troll on here and criticize others opinions, so which is it. You want to trade Billy and get some windfall in return, but you also say he's not valuable? Which is it?

And as I've said on here many, many times...Billy does score as much as many guys who get on base alot more than he does. The goal is to score, not get on base. You don't get credit for being stranded on base.
Yes, I have said multiple times I have in favor of trading Billy Hamilton. Look, I know you know nothing about anything yet somehow find a way to have an opinion but learn to read, 14. I said contrary to your opinion, Billy isn't that valuable. I also never said I expected some windfall. I said I expected a youngish, reliable bullpen arm. I'm not asking for an elite closer, a #1 or #2 starter or an All Star outfielder. In the scenario I suggested: the Yankees seem like ideal trading partner. They have 35 year old CF Jacoby Ellsbury. They also have 3 bullpen guys who are 29 and 2 who are 26 (and a few more guys who saw less action but posted solid numbers) at least at the start of the season. I don't know how high the Yankees are on someone like Chasen Shreve, Jonathan Holder or Luis Cessa but those are guys I'd gladly take from them. The Yankees might like having an elite defensive CF to spell old man Ellsbury and someone who can pinch run for them in tight playoffs games + throw in a minor league prospect of some sorts.

Yes, the goal is to score. The problem is you can't score if you can't get on base.

Last edited by Taco MacArthur; 10-16-17 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-16-17, 11:49 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yes, I have said multiple times I have in favor of trading Billy Hamilton. Look, I know you know nothing about anything yet somehow find a way to have an opinion but learn to read, 14. I said contrary to your opinion, Billy isn't that valuable. I also never said I expected some windfall. I said I expected a youngish, reliable bullpen arm. I'm not asking for an elite closer, a #1 or #2 starter or an All Star outfielder. In the scenario I suggested: the Yankees seem like ideal trading partner. They have 35 year old CF Jacoby Ellsbury. They also have 3 bullpen guys who are 29 and 2 who are 26 (and a few more guys who saw less action but posted solid numbers) at least at the start of the season. I don't know how high the Yankees are on someone like Chasen Shreve, Jonathan Holder or Luis Cessa but those are guys I'd gladly take from them. The Yankees might like having an elite defensive CF to spell old man Ellsbury and someone who can pinch run for them in tight playoffs games + throw in a minor league prospect of some sorts.

Yes, the goal is to score. The problem is you can't score if you can't get on base.
And the Indians had their starting 2nd baseman most of the season in centerfield for the playoffs. Many teams don't see the defensive value of having Billy that I do.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-16-17, 01:03 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And the Indians had their starting 2nd baseman most of the season in centerfield for the playoffs. Many teams don't see the defensive value of having Billy that I do.
That's because you overvalue Billy Hamilton. But way to deflect from the entire point of the post.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-16-17, 01:40 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,057
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And the Indians had their starting 2nd baseman most of the season in centerfield for the playoffs. Many teams don't see the defensive value of having Billy that I do.
No duh.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-16-17, 01:59 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And the Indians had their starting 2nd baseman most of the season in centerfield for the playoffs. Many teams don't see the defensive value of having Billy that I do.
Not at all, you mentioned the Yankees have a 35 year old centerfielder, and I simply trumped that saying the Indians don't even put an outfielder in centerfielder, which makes 0 sense to me.

As I've posted on here many, many times...up the middle, catcher, short, 2nd, centerfield - I'm defensive oriented. But your bats in the corner outfield and corner infield.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-16-17, 02:03 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Watching Judge and Bryant struggle so much at the plate just makes me appreciate Joey so much more. These guys who just swing for the fences every swing annoy me. Choke and poke, put the ball in play.

It's really sad baseball has devalued the strikeout. Judge looks completely lost at the plate.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-16-17, 02:13 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,030
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Choke and poke . This is a family forum, geez.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-16-17, 02:38 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
14Red is so confused he's talking to himself.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-16-17, 02:44 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,057
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
14red likes it when the ball is in play because a lot can happen.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-16-17, 03:13 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Just read a report from Mark Sheldon that Brandon Finnigan is completely healthy and expects to be ready for spring training in '18.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-16-17, 03:13 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
14red likes it when the ball is in play because a lot can happen.
As opposed to strikeouts, because nothing happens then.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-16-17, 03:14 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,057
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-16-17, 05:10 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 1,865
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
How can you read his name so many times yet still spell it wrong. It's Finnegan
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-16-17, 07:03 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,546
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
How can you read his name so many times yet still spell it wrong. It's Finnegan
There was an angry old Colerain guy who used to post on here. He spelled Johnny Cueto's name incorrectly for his entire eight year career here.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-16-17, 09:08 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 1,865
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Gocards?
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-16-17, 10:01 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 16,546
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
That's the one
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-17-17, 06:36 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,919
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
As opposed to strikeouts, because nothing happens then.
14Red gets a boner any time someone mentions Billy Hamilton because of his defense. 14Red also hates when pitchers are really good at pitching, a form of defense, and strike out batters.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-17-17, 10:25 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
How can you read his name so many times yet still spell it wrong. It's Finnegan
Sorry, thanks for the correction point. I'll try to do better.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-17-17, 10:27 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,028
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
14Red gets a boner any time someone mentions Billy Hamilton because of his defense. 14Red also hates when pitchers are really good at pitching, a form of defense, and strike out batters.
He passed my eye ball test. When you see the plays he makes, game after game, It's easy to appreciate that.

In Cueto's heyday, I really enjoyed watching him pitch, it's such an artform. Add a little, take a little off...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-17-17, 12:05 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 322
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And the Indians had their starting 2nd baseman most of the season in centerfield for the playoffs. Many teams don't see the defensive value of having Billy that I do.
And exactly how many runs did Kipnis in CF cost them? zero. A superior OF like Billy versus an average OF (like Kipnis) is only a small number of runs saved per year. Defense in the OF is great and important, but it is far less important than having an OF that produces offensively. Defensive skill trumps offense at C and SS only, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-17-17, 03:42 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 998
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
And exactly how many runs did Kipnis in CF cost them? zero. A superior OF like Billy versus an average OF (like Kipnis) is only a small number of runs saved per year. Defense in the OF is great and important, but it is far less important than having an OF that produces offensively. Defensive skill trumps offense at C and SS only, IMO.
Just curious, did you have the same opinion when Adam Dunn was in Left Field?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Division IV Schedules EagleFan Football 28 07-08-17 12:07 AM
2017 Division V Schedules EagleFan Football 13 06-06-17 07:12 PM
2017 Division III Schedules EagleFan Football 18 06-06-17 07:12 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Football 66 06-06-17 07:11 PM
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Football 31 06-06-17 07:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz