Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-20-07, 03:06 PM
Oderint dum metuant

JazzyJeff is on a distinguished road
I'd like to encourage everyone to reserve judgment one way or another before both sides can be heard. I know many have heard (actually read) one biased side of the story.

Let's not contribute to the nonsense, and please keep it off the message board.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-07, 09:46 PM
All Region

akronoldie is on a distinguished road
Who coaches the St. Edward defensive backs?
Old 10-21-07, 02:39 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Bedford and North Royalton lost. Couple that with a likely Riverside loss to Madison and we have the 3 things we need to back into the playoffs. Now, let's forget all that and go out and beat Moeller for the 4th time in 5 years!
An interesting game to say the least. Long drive for me doing it all in one day. We looked horrible in the first quarter, two big mistakes cost us. Had a wide open Burke on the first play (the defender fell down) and we couldn't complete the pass, it would have been 6 for sure. Then later in the quarter we open the flood gates with a bad snap of Lavisky's head and lose the ball to Mo on our 3. Things snowballed the rest of the quarter until our D got some good stops and the offense started moving the ball.

We played well most of the second half and made some very good plays, but just couldn't contain the Mo QB on 3rd and 10 on their last drive.

The Eagles showed some character with the way they came back after going down 21-0 in the first quarter.
Old 10-21-07, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronoldie View Post
Who coaches the St. Edward defensive backs?
The better question would be; Who is NOT coaching the St. Edward defensive backs?! Ive been harping since week 1 that the corners provide way too much cushion and need to disguise their coverages more. Ive seen safeties who play closer to the ball than they were. While Branden Williams may have the speed to close those gaps quicker, poor Seth Cummingham does not. How many 5-7 yard outs does a kid have to give up before you let him know to make an adjustment? And for some reason, no matter how loud I yelled at the TV, he couldnt hear me. The safeties were also late making the proper reads and would often jump the wrong route in multiple receiver sets. As a former cornerback, it was frustrating to watch.
Old 10-21-07, 02:10 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I am in shock to see who was fired. He is a legend and probably deserved much better. If someone can IM me an explanation, that would be great (For my curious eyes only).

I will add this to my ever-growing list of reasons I think Boyer is bad for the school.
Old 10-21-07, 06:54 PM
All Region

akronoldie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I will add this to my ever-growing list of reasons I think Boyer is bad for the school.
Amen.
Old 10-21-07, 07:02 PM
All American

ams eds fan
There was no chance of me ever having him but I'm sad to see him go. I knew him pretty well.

Unfortunately though he went a little overboard.
Old 10-21-07, 11:44 PM
All Region

SEHSguru
There is a petition started in support of Mr Glasenapp if anyone wants to sign it.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/mrglasenapp
Old 10-22-07, 07:33 AM
War Room

GencoEd is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I agree...
Old 10-22-07, 11:37 AM
Varsity

Edave59 is on a distinguished road
In short, why was he let go?
Old 10-22-07, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams eds fan View Post
There was no chance of me ever having him but I'm sad to see him go. I knew him pretty well.

PM me if you could and let me know what happened.
Old 10-22-07, 12:08 PM
War Room

***** SPOILER *****

On a lighter note - There are rumors circulating that St. Ed's grad Mike Symon will be the next Iron Chef.

http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/inde...820.xml&coll=2
Old 10-22-07, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
You have got to love Mike Symon, the former wrestler who grew up in North Olmsted and attended St. Richard school, won the day and is one of four survivors after last nights episode. I knew when he came out with his Berry chilled drink he was going to win! By the way, when I asked him how it went, he laughed and told me of the million dollar confidentiality agreement too...I guess we will all have to wait and speculate.
Old 10-22-07, 10:55 PM
Junior Varsity

F/Bball
have any of you football gurus thought that maybe it wasn't just the db's fault...no pressure on the Qb and the linebackers weren't getting into there drop zones...ya its called cover three learn football and u will realize that corners have DEEP THIRD responsibilities and the outside backers have the flats and the curl and out routes....in the 4thQ they went man up and did a great job...we have athletic corners..oh and for those of u who say seth isn't fast...umm i think 49.9 in the 400 and 21.4 in the 200 and making it to states as a freshman is pretty damn fast maybe u all need to realize how tough it could be for a 15 year old to play varsity football and he is giving his all....and another thing..all u fans at the games need to shut ur mouths the kids can her what ur saying on the sidelines and it doesn' help....there is a reason ur in the stands and not on the sidelines
Old 10-22-07, 11:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F/Bball View Post
have any of you football gurus thought that maybe it wasn't just the db's fault...no pressure on the Qb and the linebackers weren't getting into there drop zones...ya its called cover three learn football and u will realize that corners have DEEP THIRD responsibilities and the outside backers have the flats and the curl and out routes....in the 4thQ they went man up and did a great job...we have athletic corners..oh and for those of u who say seth isn't fast...umm i think 49.9 in the 400 and 21.4 in the 200 and making it to states as a freshman is pretty damn fast maybe u all need to realize how tough it could be for a 15 year old to play varsity football and he is giving his all....and another thing..all u fans at the games need to shut ur mouths the kids can her what ur saying on the sidelines and it doesn' help....there is a reason ur in the stands and not on the sidelines
I will assume this was partially directed at me as I made a comment about the play from the defensive secondary. And perhaps you thought I was chastising the players, when in fact I was criticizing the coaches for not having their players make the proper adjustments. I am also well aware of how to play cover three and what the players responsibilities are. You want to play between about 7 yds. off the receiver and your read is the QB. You are correct in stating that your responsibility is the deep third, but when you you are in bail technique and you see a three step drop from the QB, that is your cue to jump the short route regardless if your main responsibility is the deep third. But yes, the LB's should have been there to cover the flat and were not getting into their drops quick enough.

As far as Seth goes, I realize he is a sophomore and it speaks volumes that he earned the starting corner position. I can also understand that his concern was protecting his deep third, but I think the corners should be coached on disguising their coverages better so as not to broadcast to the offense that defense you are in. Seth obviously has plenty of natural speed and athleticism, but running a 21 second 200 doesnt necessarily translate into 10 yd. closing speed out of a backpedal. That is something he will improve on once he is properly coached in making better QB reads when playing a zone coverage. I look forward to watching his progression over the next few years. And I hope you dont think I was trying to pick on any of the players, my comments were calling into question the lack of adjustments from the coaches in the first half when Moeller was picking us apart.

Last edited by EaglePride01; 10-22-07 at 11:55 PM..
Old 10-23-07, 09:31 AM
Freshman

E-EA-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Who will be in the press box this Friday night?
Old 10-23-07, 10:14 AM
All District

HomerJay20
Mr. Glasenapp

Can someone please pm me with the story on Mr. Glasenapp? He was a good teacher and golf coach for me. He also was a reference for me when I graduated from college. I am going to sign the petition, but I would like to know the story before I do so!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-07, 11:13 AM
Varsity

Edave59 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams eds fan View Post

Please Pm me with the details.
Old 10-24-07, 12:09 PM
All Region

lg68jcu is on a distinguished road
Has anyone seen the pattern forming from this years team? A depressing loss to Strongsville, a Strong 2nd half against a good Euclid team in week 2 and almost wins, 4 strait wins, then a Depressing lost against St. X , a great second half against Moeler and just shy of victory. Guess what comes next baby! A win over the Wild Cats and 3 playoff victories! this unfortunately means a loss in the State Semis but thats OK with me.

Go Eagles. Skin the Cats!
Old 10-24-07, 01:03 PM
All District

Rochester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg68jcu View Post
Has anyone seen the pattern forming from this years team? A depressing loss to Strongsville, a Strong 2nd half against a good Euclid team in week 2 and almost wins, 4 strait wins, then a Depressing lost against St. X , a great second half against Moeler and just shy of victory. Guess what comes next baby! A win over the Wild Cats and 3 playoff victories! this unfortunately means a loss in the State Semis but thats OK with me.

Go Eagles. Skin the Cats!
Wasn't the first win, in your streak of four, due to the fact that the game was called for lightning versus a DC team that didn't want to hang around any longer to properly finish? There can be no parallel drawn to the Holy War, with the opponent residing a couple miles down the road. Sorry, you're reaching for straws.
Old 10-24-07, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
Wasn't the first win, in your streak of four, due to the fact that the game was called for lightning versus a DC team that didn't want to hang around any longer to properly finish? There can be no parallel drawn to the Holy War, with the opponent residing a couple miles down the road. Sorry, you're reaching for straws.
Use that Jesuit education to think a little figuratively, and not so much literally.
Old 10-26-07, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Eagle freshmen football ended on a positive note as the "A" team defeated Eric McDowell 33-6 at Coughlin field. From what I heard all the herbs had a chance to play in the final game this season. I believe the "A" team ended up 9-0 this season and the "B" team ended up 6-2. I do know the overall record of the freshmen class was 15-2 for the year. Not a bad job by our freshmen.

The JV team played Glenville after the frosh game and defeated the Tar Blooders or is that Tarblooders 19-7. Not sure how the JV's ended up this year.
Old 10-26-07, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

WarriorDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE View Post
Eagle freshmen football ended on a positive note as the "A" team defeated Eric McDowell 33-6 at Coughlin field. From what I heard all the herbs had a chance to play in the final game this season. I believe the "A" team ended up 9-0 this season and the "B" team ended up 6-2. I do know the overall record of the freshmen class was 15-2 for the year. Not a bad job by our freshmen.

The JV team played Glenville after the frosh game and defeated the Tar Blooders or is that Tarblooders 19-7. Not sure how the JV's ended up this year.
SE the Eagle JV season marches on with one more last minute game this Saturday vs. Akron Butchel I believe 10:00 AM @ Coughlin. So far the JV's have 2 losses from their season schedule --- 1 to St. Ignatius and 1 to Cincinnati Moeller.
Old 10-27-07, 09:30 AM
All Region

irisheagle
Grabbing the face mask---NO PENALTY--NEW RULE???

Why was there no penalty called last night when Carr from Iggy grabbed the facemask of Dominique Goodwin and tore it off his head?

Also, why was Kyle allowed to run on to the the playing field and complain to the officials, I thought this behavior was supposed to draw a penalty.

I thought that Eds played their hearts out last night and really came to play. Their defense played great and their offense improved over the year. I am looking forward to a great year next year. Eds has great talent at all levels and will be back in the state title hunt next year.
Old 10-27-07, 09:48 AM
Oderint dum metuant

JazzyJeff is on a distinguished road
Really proud of this team and the seniors who went through such a tough offseason not of their own doing and playing their butts off.

Missing the playoffs is a bummer, but you can't expect to make it there when you go 4-5. With the type of schedule the Eagles had though, the record really doesn't reflect the talent of this team. Give them the 2000-2004 schedule and this team is playing next week.
Old 10-27-07, 10:01 AM
U.S. American

sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Tough year for the Eagles, but I really enjoyed watching this team come together as the year went on. Feel bad for the Seniors that they didn't get another crack at the playoffs, maybe a rematch with the Cats or Euclid.

Now on to Basketball season. Check out the Basketball thread for a schedule update. A very high profile opening game was recently added to complete the schedule.
Old 10-27-07, 11:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheagle View Post
Why was there no penalty called last night when Carr from Iggy grabbed the facemask of Dominique Goodwin and tore it off his head?

Also, why was Kyle allowed to run on to the the playing field and complain to the officials, I thought this behavior was supposed to draw a penalty.

I thought that Eds played their hearts out last night and really came to play. Their defense played great and their offense improved over the year. I am looking forward to a great year next year. Eds has great talent at all levels and will be back in the state title hunt next year.
Officiating was horrendous on both sides. Maybe the zebras were having too much fun watching the game as fans rather than doing their jobs.

Im excited as well about the core of players that are returning next year. On the defensive side I love what I have seen from linebacker Brian Boland, DL David Browne, and as of last night Seth Cunningham. Seth is very good in man coverage, and when in zone he did a great job last night disguising the coverage by walking up and showing man coverage, and then falling off at the last second. Latwan Anderson is raw, but played well as a the nickel man last night and could become a very good corner. And offensively of course you have Lavisky at QB, the running back trio of Goodwin, Staples and Woods, and wideouts Burke and Warren.

As for the seniors this year, it was a trying season against a rough schedule and you guys never quit. I know what you are feeling right now and you wish you could have a lot of things back to do over again. I was crushed when I thought our postseason chances were elimanted on a last second FG against Massillon. We were lucky enough to have some things go our way to sneak in at the 8 seed, but it doesnt always turn out that way. Keep your heads high and good luck next year in college whether or not you are playing football.
Old 10-29-07, 08:00 AM
War Room

ttt
Old 10-29-07, 03:46 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
Tough year for the Eagles, but I really enjoyed watching this team come together as the year went on. Feel bad for the Seniors that they didn't get another crack at the playoffs, maybe a rematch with the Cats or Euclid.

Now on to Basketball season. Check out the Basketball thread for a schedule update. A very high profile opening game was recently added to complete the schedule.
I concur. Congrats to the football team on their season. And good luck to the basketball team against last years USA Today #15 Campbell Hall (CA), a game to played at the Eagles Nest on ESPN2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: