Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-18, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
New Football Stadium for Cleveland?

Probably just the Haslam's posturing but still interesting to see them float this idea publicly: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ml#incart_2box

"Cleveland Browns owner Dee Haslam told ESPN on Thursday that the franchise is exploring a development project with the city that may include substantially renovating FirstEnergy Stadium or building a new facility somewhere downtown."

While the current stadium has many flaws: location, no roof, location, too many out of favor suites, location,... it is still better than a broke city trying to cobble $s together to fund a new stadium project. Now if the Haslam's or some other entity want to foot the bill then some TIF $s or tax abatement $s would be OK but please no new taxes to pay for this thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-18, 02:47 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Getting the Browns off the lakefront property would be a win for the city.
Old 05-03-18, 03:44 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
As long as Haslam wants to pay for it, sounds good. Doesn't seem worth tax payer dollars.
Old 05-03-18, 03:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I think Cleveland should do everything they can to force the Haslams to sell the stadium. They have 11 years on their lease. That should be plenty of time to make their lives so miserable that they decide to sell.
Old 05-03-18, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Getting the Browns off the lakefront property would be a win for the city.

Amen.

I heard some moron on the radio saying that Burke should be the site. What a waste of prime property, both locations.

I hope Mayor FrankJax isn't "married" to the Millers and Ratners of Forest City, like White Mike was. They always pulled strings to try and be the only site owners whose properties are considered for the large projects. Greedy bastards don't have enough, apparently. Some have claimed that Forest City's efforts to torpedo the selection/financing of the site from Black Oxide to the railroad container yard south of Jacob's Field and the Inner Belt put us back on the old Municipal site.
Old 05-03-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I think Cleveland should do everything they can to force the Haslams to sell the stadium. They have 11 years on their lease. That should be plenty of time to make their lives so miserable that they decide to sell.
That seems counter-productive to keeping a team.
Old 05-03-18, 03:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
That seems counter-productive to keeping a team.
I would build the new stadium, just don't want the Haslams.
Old 05-03-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I would build the new stadium, just don't want the Haslams.
Which NFL owners do you like, and why are they any better than the Haslams ?

I think that they may finally be figuring it out, myself.
Old 05-03-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amen.

I heard some moron on the radio saying that Burke should be the site. What a waste of prime property, both locations.

I hope Mayor FrankJax isn't "married" to the Millers and Ratners of Forest City, like White Mike was. They always pulled strings to try and be the only site owners whose properties are considered for the large projects. Greedy bastards don't have enough, apparently. Some have claimed that Forest City's efforts to torpedo the selection/financing of the site from Black Oxide to the railroad container yard south of Jacob's Field and the Inner Belt put us back on the old Municipal site.
While I agree keeping prime lakefront property as a corporate airport is stupid but you need to balance this with the fact that some of Cleveland biggest Corporate names use this thing a lot. The Cleveland Clinic, IMG, Ernest & Young, and Jones Day all employ a lot of people and move personnel to meetings around the country through this airport. Get rid of it and they may look to just set up a bigger presence in NYC, Chicago, DC, etc... Very tricky balancing act with that thing.
Old 05-03-18, 04:12 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Which NFL owners do you like, and why are they any better than the Haslams ?

I think that they may finally be figuring it out, myself.
I don't like owners that hold a city hostage to get a new stadium. Starting this process this early makes me think that they are willing to move the franchise unless they get everything they want.

As a whole, I don't like these professional franchises doing this to these cities because the cities are too desperate to ever say no.
Old 05-03-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
There's got to be a large amount of unused industrial property near Cleveland to turn into a new corporate airport.
Old 05-03-18, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
While I agree keeping prime lakefront property as a corporate airport is stupid but you need to balance this with the fact that some of Cleveland biggest Corporate names use this thing a lot. The Cleveland Clinic, IMG, Ernest & Young, and Jones Day all employ a lot of people and move personnel to meetings around the country through this airport. Get rid of it and they may look to just set up a bigger presence in NYC, Chicago, DC, etc... Very tricky balancing act with that thing.
Maybe if it wasn't there, those execs would not have let stupid Frank Jax price us out of the hub business post UAL/Continental merger ?

You are right, though, to an extent. 29 minutes from Public Square to Lost Nation would seem so oppressive by comparison.

Still a separate issue, Burke. We digress. There's great value in freeing up the lakefront stadium site for development.
Old 05-03-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There's got to be a large amount of unused industrial property near Cleveland to turn into a new corporate airport.
The muffin-stump ladies of the world do NOT want even small jets screaming over their free housing. Runways are long.
Old 05-03-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't like owners that hold a city hostage to get a new stadium. Starting this process this early makes me think that they are willing to move the franchise unless they get everything they want.

As a whole, I don't like these professional franchises doing this to these cities because the cities are too desperate to ever say no.
It's really little different than the tax abatement contests that cities get suckered into - just bigger. Only 32 teams......
Old 05-03-18, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
As long as Haslam wants to pay for it, sounds good. Doesn't seem worth tax payer dollars.
Yeah, Iím sure he wants to pay for it. Lol.
Old 05-03-18, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In this day and age airports have a very large footprint, even small commuter ones, and there are all kind of noise restrictions so there has to be a decent buffer from residential neighborhoods. I don't think a new one of significance has open since Denver closed Stapleton and moved out into the hinter land for Denver Intl.
Old 05-03-18, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
At this juncture, old Jimmy is going to have to prove to me that he's finally going to get anything right. His mishandling of the Browns into historical ineptitude, the Pilot Flying J fraud right under his nose and the Tennessee/Greg Schiano fiasco demonstrate to me he's just another fool fortunate to have had a wealthy father.
Old 05-03-18, 05:01 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yeah, Iím sure he wants to pay for it. Lol.
Right. Mostly said tongue in cheek.

Would be pretty hilarious if Cleveland lost the Browns again.
Old 05-03-18, 06:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
At this juncture, old Jimmy is going to have to prove to me that he's finally going to get anything right. His mishandling of the Browns into historical ineptitude, the Pilot Flying J fraud right under his nose and the Tennessee/Greg Schiano fiasco demonstrate to me he's just another fool fortunate to have had a wealthy father.
He already owns the team. There are only 30 people that he has to prove anything to, actually, and their standards don't seem all that high.
Old 05-08-18, 07:23 AM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Anyone who thinks Haslam was not very much aware of the Pilot Flying J rip-off scheme is nuts.
Old 05-08-18, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
2-14

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: