Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 04:25 PM
Freshman

NEohiofan123 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Bell on D1 co-player of the year- much deserved. Should have been co-player of the year with Mikesell, imho. Unfortunately, it appears as if the votes were split between Mikesell/Bell in the NE Ohio area. Averaging 30.7ppg, 60 point game, 2,175 career points, 2 OHSAA Records: most 3's in a game/most 3's in a season, 2nd in OHSAA free throw percentage for career... not sure what else she could have done. She also achieved these statistics while being double-teamed in the majority of games this season. Not sure what Sheldon has on Mikesell in any statistical area... let alone skill. Both Bell and Mikesell are incredible players and it would have been nice to see the honor split between the two after the season long battle. The best to do it in Ohio.

Last edited by NEohiofan123; 03-13-18 at 04:44 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-13-18, 07:07 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohiofan123 View Post
Congrats to Bell on D1 co-player of the year- much deserved. Should have been co-player of the year with Mikesell, imho. Unfortunately, it appears as if the votes were split between Mikesell/Bell in the NE Ohio area. Averaging 30.7ppg, 60 point game, 2,175 career points, 2 OHSAA Records: most 3's in a game/most 3's in a season, 2nd in OHSAA free throw percentage for career... not sure what else she could have done. She also achieved these statistics while being double-teamed in the majority of games this season. Not sure what Sheldon has on Mikesell in any statistical area... let alone skill. Both Bell and Mikesell are incredible players and it would have been nice to see the honor split between the two after the season long battle. The best to do it in Ohio.
I'm inclined to agree that both Bell and Mikesell being in the same district hurt their chances of sharing the POY year, especially since they were also in the same conference. I fully agree that Mikesell was deserving of this recognition.

The Ms. Ohio award will be announced tomorrow....could they shake things up and give it to Mikesell?
Old 03-13-18, 07:15 PM
Freshman

NEohiofan123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
I'm inclined to agree that both Bell and Mikesell being in the same district hurt their chances of sharing the POY year, especially since they were also in the same conference. I fully agree that Mikesell was deserving of this recognition.

The Ms. Ohio award will be announced tomorrow....could they shake things up and give it to Mikesell?
Now THAT would be something!
Old 03-14-18, 05:33 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
I would say Solon's Valencia Myers could easily win this although she doesn't have the scoring as some of those girls but she 6'2 Florida state commit and is playing is the McDonalds all- american game, which with that could push here to the top.
Almost the same resume as Natasha Howard. And Solon is still playing.

Voting is already in though. Be interesting.
Old 03-14-18, 01:23 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Mikesell has done more for her team then any of them.....plus a Maryland recruit....give it to her..
Old 03-14-18, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Myers is nowhere near on the level of Howard the year she won it... completely different type players. Bell is more comparable if anyone.... and chocolatecity, that's highly debatable but one of the players left your district and the other didn't.
Old 03-14-18, 02:08 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
$ is on Bell- has a chance to win 3 times which is amazing.
Old 03-14-18, 03:52 PM
All American

McGal.... I'm way passed that if you think that is my reasoning.... Mikesell didn't have a Robin like Bell had.... Bell had Young who could put up numbers also... McKinley was expected to do what they did this year but not Jackson.... Mikesell put that team on her back and those girls stepped up their game to get to the regional through a pretty rough district... Sometime your McKinley roots stick out when someone doesn't agree with your take on a conversation... But this is just my opinion not the fact if a player left one district for another... But if you want to discuss it bring it on...
Old 03-14-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Myers is nowhere near on the level of Howard the year she won it... completely different type players. Bell is more comparable if anyone.... and chocolatecity, that's highly debatable but one of the players left your district and the other didn't.
Everyone on THIS board with the exception of me, was saying Howard wasn't Howard. They couldn't believe someone not from their little nick wasn't all that. Perhaps a difference, Howard shunned the AAU network so she maybe wasn't seen, but was ultimately recognized or just won the media lottery. Such can happen since there was no one to divide votes from this region.

When is the announcement?
Old 03-14-18, 04:20 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
When is the announcement?
Later today or tomorrow AM (History = usually announced on just prior
to the start of the finals.)

:>---

EGA
Old 03-14-18, 04:35 PM
All American

Repository says Bell repeats as Ms Basketball!
Old 03-14-18, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

So, she got a job after graduating?
Old 03-14-18, 04:56 PM
Success is Tradition!

Congrats to Kierstan Bell...just the 5th to earn the Ms. Ohio award twice. No female has won it 3 times and only LeBron James has done so on the boys side. Bell is also a finalist for the Gatorade Player of the Year.

Congrats to Taylor Mikesell who was one of the finalist, along with the other finalist. Best of luck to the seniors who are moving onto college careers!

The OHSAA press release:

For Immediate Release – March 14, 2018

Canton McKinley’s Kierstan Bell Named Ohio Ms. Basketball
Becomes the fifth two-time winner in Ohio history, a list that includes former McKinley standout Ameryst Alston

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Canton McKinley High School junior Kierstan Bell was named Ohio Ms. Basketball Wednesday by a statewide media panel. Bell becomes the fifth two-time winner in Ohio history.

A 6-foot-1 junior, Bell averaged 33.3 points, 9.6 rebounds, 5.0 steals, 3.9 assists and 2.5 blocks per game while shooting 52.7 percent from the floor for the Pups (23-2), who lost to Wadsworth in the Division I district final. She set McKinley records for points in a game (53), season (833) and career (2,104).

Other finalists for the Ms. Basketball Award included Jacy Sheldon, Dublin Coffman; Jordan Horston, Columbus Africentric; Sammie Puisis, Mason; Alli Kern, Waterford; Lilly Ritz, Cambridge; Naz Hillmon, Gates Mills Gilmour Academy; Taylor Mikesell, Massillon Jackson; and Zia Cooke, Toledo Rogers.

Last edited by just a fan; 03-14-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Congratulations Ms Bell.
I'm sure if she wouldn't have won the coaches would have called it a travisty.
Old 03-15-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Not a travesty but would have been surprising for sure... people get way too insulted by who wins/doesn't win... there were a ton of kids this year who had amazing seasons. It's not "disrespectful" to not win <insert award name here> nor does it change the amazing seasons those kids had on the floor.
Old 03-15-18, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

Be very hard to vote against a two-time winner next year. She'll have to rob a bank or something, not to win it. Connecticut come calling yet?
Old 03-15-18, 12:35 PM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Wish she'd end up at Ohio St.
Old 03-17-18, 07:55 AM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Wish she'd end up at Ohio St.
Me too. More than anything though, I hope Bell and all these young ladies go where they will be happy and have a chance to be successful.
Old 03-17-18, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Me too. More than anything though, I hope Bell and all these young ladies go where they will be happy and have a chance to be successful.
I think she would fit in very well with OSU style of ball,she can only get better next year.
Old 03-18-18, 02:15 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Zip Cooke put on a show last night in the state championships - looked like a different level of player. Congrats on the state championship!
Old 03-18-18, 05:34 PM
All Yappi

I would bet on Ohio State or another school closer to home than UConn; it's
easier for the family to watch her play.

EGA
Old 03-18-18, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

Is 2019 a particularly good class? Hoopgirlz has three Ohioans in their top ten but not much after that.
Old 03-19-18, 08:43 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
I would bet on Ohio State or another school closer to home than UConn; it's
easier for the family to watch her play.
I hope your bet is right, but she has expressed interest in UCLA or USC...forget which one.
Old 03-19-18, 08:45 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Is 2019 a particularly good class? Hoopgirlz has three Ohioans in their top ten but not much after that.
It just might be...about half of the first team All-Ohio selections are juniors.
Old 03-20-18, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
I hope your bet is right, but she has expressed interest in UCLA or USC...forget which one.
UCLA has been around a lot and I think she's planning on taking a visit there (who wouldn't go if they could? lol)
Old 03-23-18, 05:06 AM
Success is Tradition!

Kierstan Bell was named Mrs. OHSBCA (Basketball Coaches Association) this week and Taylor Mikesell was named D1 Player of the Year.

Also, Mikesell was invited to the national 3-point shooting contest.
Old 03-28-18, 06:36 AM
Success is Tradition!

Taylor Mikesell won the national 3-point shooting contest. Congrats!

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2018...t-championship
Old 03-30-18, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

5 will get you 10...

Bell is in Columbus watching the NCAA Women's Final-4 this weekend.

EGA
Old 03-30-18, 05:37 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Kierstan Bell and Taylor Mikesell on all their accolades this year..well deserved..Good luck at Maryland Taylor.
Old 03-31-18, 08:45 PM
Freshman

BBall Fax is on a distinguished road
Zia and Bell

I heard Zia likes Tennessee, Ohio State is a long shot. OSU is fifth at Best is what I heard.

I heard Bell is 19 years old? I know sophomores and Juniors in college not that old. Does anyone know if that is true? It can’t be true, can it?