Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-18, 09:43 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Here’s my prediction— he will play, be drafted and prove to be a better QB than Haskins n the pros. By all the evidence , he outplayed Haskins in the spring and because Urban wouldn’t name him the starter, he is gone. This may well come back to bite OSU in future recruits. Wish him well. He will be a stand out player at his next college.
Lol
Old 05-15-18, 12:51 PM
All Region

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Some of you here think that Urban would play someone who is ill-prepared just because of some sort of politics? Due to his success at Ohio State, his expectations are higher than any other coach I can imagine. Vegas has the Buckeyes O/U at 10.5 wins on the season, so I don't think he would choose someone to QB this team who would not be the best choice. Furthermore, the guy has shown that he will go with who they feel gives them the best chance to win and if that is Haskins, I am inclined to believe them.

And honestly, if Burrow wasn't from Ohio and this wasn't an Ohio forum this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.
Old 05-15-18, 01:27 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Some of you here think that Urban would play someone who is ill-prepared just because of some sort of politics? Due to his success at Ohio State, his expectations are higher than any other coach I can imagine. Vegas has the Buckeyes O/U at 10.5 wins on the season, so I don't think he would choose someone to QB this team who would not be the best choice. Furthermore, the guy has shown that he will go with who they feel gives them the best chance to win and if that is Haskins, I am inclined to believe them.
Generally agree with this, other than not having heard that Haskins was awarded the spot as opposed to Urban not being ready to make the call, prompting Burrow to look elsewhere.

Quote:
And honestly, if Burrow wasn't from Ohio and this wasn't an Ohio forum this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.
This I disagree with. While he had no playing time in games not decided, Burrow was uniformly good to excellent in all his appearances. He did nothing that made me believe he couldn't have been successful replacing JT in the TTUN game.
Old 05-16-18, 09:19 AM
All District

bagobones is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Starkbuck;7043721 And honestly, if Burrow wasn't from Ohio and this wasn't an Ohio forum this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the Burrow situation is a topic of discussion on an LSU or Nebraska blog site.
Old 05-16-18, 03:15 PM
All District

Bigscarletandgrey is on a distinguished road
This I disagree with. While he had no playing time in games not decided, Burrow was uniformly good to excellent in all his appearances. He did nothing that made me believe he couldn't have been successful replacing JT in the TTUN game.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Haskins come in and beat Michigan?
Old 05-16-18, 03:52 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Didn't Haskins come in and beat Michigan?
He did. Not sure of the point you're trying to make.
Old 05-16-18, 04:18 PM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Probably more about what Burrow didn’t do.
Old 05-16-18, 04:37 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Here’s my prediction— he will play, be drafted and prove to be a better QB than Haskins n the pros. By all the evidence , he outplayed Haskins in the spring and because Urban wouldn’t name him the starter, he is gone. This may well come back to bite OSU in future recruits. Wish him well. He will be a stand out player at his next college.
Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

We do know that Urban does not run a pro style offense. The better NFL prospect might not be the best fit for the Bucks.
Old 05-16-18, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Joe Burrow gets a chance. He just wasn't the right fit for Urban's offensive schemes. Like to see if he can compete in a pro style passing attack.
Old 05-16-18, 04:48 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
As long as Burrow keeps his head straight he will land on his feet.
Old 05-16-18, 07:08 PM
All World

Raider#23 is on a distinguished road
Burrow is now going to visit North Carolina. And yes, there is a lot of "buzz" on LSU blog sites.
Old 05-17-18, 12:14 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Well he shouldn't. I think he's talented but not like he's ever started or played meaningful football in years. I'd actually recommend the MAC. Worked for Roethlisberger among others.
I'd bet that his dad would not. Roethlisberger probably wouldn't, either. But you just go right ahead.

He's better than that.
Old 05-17-18, 12:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
There's a few guys in the NFL who went to NAIA schools. He should probably go to an NAIA school, it worked out for those guys.
lol
Old 05-17-18, 12:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Seems like some second guessing by some on here of Urban Meyer's decisionmaking. As Urban has 3 national championships, I'll trust his judgment on what players give his teams the best chance to win.
Good thing Barrett got hurt and Tom Herman was still there, because he'd still only have two.
Old 05-17-18, 12:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Without the injury, he may well have been the QB coming in for JT in the TTUN game.
yup

But they can't know what they don't know, you know ?
Old 05-17-18, 12:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappi View Post
i was really hoping that he would win the osu qb spot but the odds were stacked against him. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
+1
Old 05-17-18, 06:49 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Hopefully Joe Burrow gets a chance. He just wasn't the right fit for Urban's offensive schemes. Like to see if he can compete in a pro style passing attack.
Dunno why people keep saying this. He fits Urban's offensive scheme better than Haskins. Did anyone not watch the last 3 years with JT?
Old 05-17-18, 09:02 AM
All District

Quote:
You stated Haskins didn't do anything but Burrow did. Simply pointing out he beat Michigan. And looked pretty darn good doing it. I personally think they made the right choice. And if you don't think Urban made a choice he did. By not making Burrow's the starter he knew he was going to lose him. He simply allowed Burrow's to make the move.

Now what do I know... No more than anyone else on here that doesn't coach D1 football.
Old 05-17-18, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
It is a tough thing playing QB. If you are a decent WR, you get on the field, a decent D. Lineman, you get some snaps. You can be a very good QB and get little to no playing time. Burrow knew this when he chose to go to OSU. They bring in great QB's every year and you can only play one. I hope he does well going forward, I think he made the best decision for him, that is the name of the game these days.
Old 05-17-18, 09:51 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscarletandgrey View Post
You stated Haskins didn't do anything but Burrow did. Simply pointing out he beat Michigan. And looked pretty darn good doing it. I personally think they made the right choice. And if you don't think Urban made a choice he did. By not making Burrow's the starter he knew he was going to lose him. He simply allowed Burrow's to make the move.

Now what do I know... No more than anyone else on here that doesn't coach D1 football.
I also think Urban was up front with him and ended up giving Burrow as much time as possible to figure out what he wanted to do, whether he wanted to stay, and where he wanted to go if he so chose. It seems to me like Burrow was treated as fairly as possible. He just had some bad timing at OSU that robbed him of his opportunities to grab onto to the starting role in Columbus.
Old 05-17-18, 11:41 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I also think Urban was up front with him and ended up giving Burrow as much time as possible to figure out what he wanted to do, whether he wanted to stay, and where he wanted to go if he so chose. It seems to me like Burrow was treated as fairly as possible. He just had some bad timing at OSU that robbed him of his opportunities to grab onto to the starting role in Columbus.
Couldn't agree more.... He was sandwiched between JT and Haskins. No one was going to play while JT was there (at least at the end). I personally think Haskins would have been a better choice than JT this past year but again what do I know.
Old 05-17-18, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Dunno why people keep saying this. He fits Urban's offensive scheme better than Haskins. Did anyone not watch the last 3 years with JT?
Watched almost all of them. Went to 3 games a year. Just not sure Burrow's physical stature was more suited for Urban's offense. He also has a quick release and is an accurate passer. Thought he was better suited for a big 12 type shoot out style than a read option type in college.
I understand he ran the ball well in Athens.
Not one of those saying he is better than Haskins. Think Haskins is more physical just like Urban likes.
Old 05-17-18, 04:48 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
actually, he fits Meyers offense better then Haskins does..... Haskins is the more PRO style QB, Burrows can pass and RUN
Old 05-17-18, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
actually, he fits Meyers offense better then Haskins does..... Haskins is the more PRO style QB, Burrows can pass and RUN
Definitely coming out of high school. No doubt Haskins has a cannon and was pro style coming in. Will be interesting to see how the offense evolves.

I would still like to see Burrow in a more pass oriented scheme somewhere else. He is not beating out Haskins and Martell has Braxton type running ability. Like to see the kid get a shot.
Old 05-17-18, 06:43 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
Exactly. Haskins had a negative 22 career rushing yds. in High School. I remember when Urban Meyer came to OSU and the experts commented that Meyer never had a 1000 yd. running back, now people say he can't develop a pro-style QB. Didn't Alex Smith who passed for over 4000 yds. last season for KC play for Urban Meyer ?
Old 05-17-18, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I Don't think he recruited Alex Smith. I think he was already in place and fairly well developed. Someone must have that fact?

No doubt, Meyer put a better team around him. Meyer was known for the physical demands he put on the BG players, when he first came in. He definitely wasn't worried about any who walked, regardless who they were. His affect on Smith though? I'd have to imagine somewhere there would be quotes in Smith's own words. I'm just too lazy to google for them. Meyer probably isn't going to go down in college football history as a developer of QBs, let alone NFL QBs.
Old 05-17-18, 08:23 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I Don't think he recruited Alex Smith. I think he was already in place and fairly well developed. Someone must have that fact?.

Meyer coached at Utah for 2 years, 03-04. Smith became the starter in 2003 and graduated after the 04 season, finishing 4th in the Heisman voting in 04. Before Meyer was at Utah, Smith attempted a total of 4 passes.
Old 05-18-18, 07:20 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Definitely coming out of high school. No doubt Haskins has a cannon and was pro style coming in. Will be interesting to see how the offense evolves.

I would still like to see Burrow in a more pass oriented scheme somewhere else. He is not beating out Haskins and Martell has Braxton type running ability. Like to see the kid get a shot.
actually before his hand injury, Burrow was the backup to JT
Old 05-18-18, 07:28 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Exactly. Haskins had a negative 22 career rushing yds. in High School. I remember when Urban Meyer came to OSU and the experts commented that Meyer never had a 1000 yd. running back, now people say he can't develop a pro-style QB. Didn't Alex Smith who passed for over 4000 yds. last season for KC play for Urban Meyer ?
What Alex Smith did last year means very little for what he did 14+ years ago under Urban Meyer. Alex Smith was more of a DT in college than he was a pro passer. His senior year he averaged 54 rushing yards a game for a total of 652 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Old 05-18-18, 08:57 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
All reports are he's to announce LSU