Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 03-14-18, 08:03 AM
thereckoning thereckoning is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-30-17
Posts: 128
thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bias View Post
Believe you mean Monroe Central located between Parker City and Farmland. I know it wasn't Monroe, IN as that would be Adams Central who does DFL.
http://www.themaconline.com/forum/co...idget-football

This is where it said Monroe, IN. Not sure which one. Good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 03-14-18, 08:07 AM
thereckoning thereckoning is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-30-17
Posts: 128
thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I probably didn't explain myself the best. The point I was trying to make is that in order to equate PeeWee success to Varsity success you would need every other variable removed. That simply was not the case. Hence the confluence of factors. Furthermore, the PeeWee program had plenty of kids go thru the program for years prior to 2015 with the Varsity routinely winning 2 to 4 games a year. That negates the hypothesis of PeeWee = Varsity success.

FR's success is directly related to the weight training. That is undeniable.
Yeah. No need to explain. You seen the program first hand. I certainly believe there is no good program without good weight training. If you have ever been around the college athletes, their coaches will tell you that is the first and most important thing to success in all sports. From basketball to baseball to hockey to football and beyond.

However, I am a true believer that if kids buy in at an early age and get a taste of success as well as well rounded coaching, it goes without saying that this has a major impact on those confluence of factors that lead directly into putting in the weight training work and working towards a common goal of a state title. Its the snowball effect. Again, best of luck to the Indians. They went from cellar dwellers in the MAC to a perennial scare on schedules!
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 03-14-18, 08:18 PM
IVCFan IVCFan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-11-18
Posts: 51
IVCFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I think you're wanting a connection where there isn't one. For years FR's program was terrible yet they had PeeWee football. PeeWee football stopped and FR wins a State Championship. One might conclude there is a direct correlation between winning and PeeWee. But any good scientist will tell you that in order to test a hypothesis you must have controls AND ONLY ONE VARIABLE. That's the key.

FR's weight training program has been the difference. FR has a "class" that any student can take (even non athletes) that is in essence weight training. Nearly every athlete (especially if they expect to see PT) takes the class. Workout Regimens are designed for each athlete and their particular sport and position/skill set. There is testing at the beginning and end of each semester to track the students progress. It is extremely well ran and supervised.

FR's championship was also a confluence of factors. An aligning of the stars if you will. They had a large senior class with a lot of experience. They had size on the lines as well as a good balance of skill players. The schedule was very favorable. They played Anna in the regular season (which they beat) but not Coldwater. They beat 2 quality non league opponents that had winning records. Most importantly they played in DVII while ML played DVI. The only MAC team we had to beat was Minster which we've had a pretty good battle against over the last 6 meetings or so.

Everything lined up that year. No amount of star alignment would have gotten us a State Title however if not for the weight training and the kid's commitment to it.
So just out of curiosity, how long was this class and is that the only lifting FR athletes did each day? Did players in season in other sports still lift? For example, what did basketball players do on game days or during the week in general?

I'm just curious to compare it to what I experienced in high school where my coaches basically fought over athletes and each coach tried to talk you into only playing their sport and told you how bad lifting was during your other seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 03-14-18, 09:03 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,797
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCFan View Post
So just out of curiosity, how long was this class and is that the only lifting FR athletes did each day? Did players in season in other sports still lift? For example, what did basketball players do on game days or during the week in general?

I'm just curious to compare it to what I experienced in high school where my coaches basically fought over athletes and each coach tried to talk you into only playing their sport and told you how bad lifting was during your other seasons.
The class is one period (45 minutes). During the school year that is the primary lifting program. If an athlete is unable to get into the class (scheduling conflicts) then there is after school lifting.

Generally if a Football player is in basketball season a lifting program is developed to not hinder if not help that player. For example not doing a heavy leg workout on game day.

I think every coach can agree that kids lifting makes them better. There are very few issues with coaches discouraging kids from playing multiple sports.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 03-14-18, 09:04 PM
IndianaBanana IndianaBanana is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Posts: 203
IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCFan View Post
So just out of curiosity, how long was this class and is that the only lifting FR athletes did each day? Did players in season in other sports still lift? For example, what did basketball players do on game days or during the week in general?

I'm just curious to compare it to what I experienced in high school where my coaches basically fought over athletes and each coach tried to talk you into only playing their sport and told you how bad lifting was during your other seasons.
Started sometime before 2005. 45 min class period. Lifted Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. Speed Training Wednesday. Friday was 10 mins of light lifting and then dodgeball to end the day (and no, it never got old). Ran 40s and recorded Max-outs at the end of the semester.

Teams would still lift together outside the class. When examining small MAC schools, most athletes play 2 or 3 (and in very rare instances even 4) sports. The coaches understand that and encourage it, so there wasn't much bickering when I was in school.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 03-14-18, 09:40 PM
IVCFan IVCFan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-11-18
Posts: 51
IVCFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The class is one period (45 minutes). During the school year that is the primary lifting program. If an athlete is unable to get into the class (scheduling conflicts) then there is after school lifting.

Generally if a Football player is in basketball season a lifting program is developed to not hinder if not help that player. For example not doing a heavy leg workout on game day.

I think every coach can agree that kids lifting makes them better. There are very few issues with coaches discouraging kids from playing multiple sports.
So I'll ask you and IndianaBanana the next question. How many of the coaches were teachers in the district?
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 03-15-18, 12:03 AM
IndianaBanana IndianaBanana is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Posts: 203
IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCFan View Post
So I'll ask you and IndianaBanana the next question. How many of the coaches were teachers in the district?
I'd say over 50%

I know 2 of the 3 sports I played were coached by teachers.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 03-15-18, 06:32 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,797
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
I'd say over 50%

I know 2 of the 3 sports I played were coached by teachers.
There are 12 MAC sports at FR (13 with swimming). In the past almost all of the HC were teachers.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 03-15-18, 10:03 AM
thereckoning thereckoning is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-30-17
Posts: 128
thereckoning is on a distinguished road
To piggy back on IVC's question, was this the first time lifting was introduced to athletes at FR? Was there an offseason lifting program?

I was almost sure that most schools implemented weight lifting class in the early 90s. Do your basketball or baseball coaches discourage lifting? This is the old school way of thinking that IVC is talking about that was around in the 80s and 90s
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 03-15-18, 10:50 AM
big medicine big medicine is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 348
big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCFan View Post

I'm just curious to compare it to what I experienced in high school where my coaches basically fought over athletes and each coach tried to talk you into only playing their sport and told you how bad lifting was during your other seasons.


Just out of curiosity, how many guys playing for Marion Local in tomorrows DIV regional final also played football ?
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 03-15-18, 01:27 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,797
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many guys playing for Marion Local in tomorrows DIV regional final also played football ?
I think almost all of them.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 03-15-18, 01:36 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,797
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
To piggy back on IVC's question, was this the first time lifting was introduced to athletes at FR? Was there an offseason lifting program?

I was almost sure that most schools implemented weight lifting class in the early 90s. Do your basketball or baseball coaches discourage lifting? This is the old school way of thinking that IVC is talking about that was around in the 80s and 90s
Weight lifting began in the late 80's early 90's At FR literally in a storage closet. It was few free weights, a bench, a couple of leg machines and a stack of dumbbells. There was a much greater emphasis then on Pliametrics and conditioning than Bigger, Faster, Stronger. There wasn't any organized offseason lifting program. At least not what you think of today. It was usually lift a set in between games of basketball at open gym (which lasted 3 hrs generally).

Keep in mind that FR did not have football until 1992 or 93.
Now all the sports coaches encourage kids participate in the lifting program/class.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 03-15-18, 03:10 PM
State2013 State2013 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-29-17
Posts: 21
State2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many guys playing for Marion Local in tomorrows DIV regional final also played football ?
Only 3 of them were not on the football roster. It's pretty common that the guys will end up playing all 3 "major" sports.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 03-15-18, 03:24 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,753
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I also wonder how many Mac coaches also went to the the schoo,. I know a very high percentage of FB and baseball coaches in CW also went to school there
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 03-15-18, 04:02 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,595
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
All 3 major sports head coaches at CW are Coldwater grads. If I'm not mistaken, only 2 out of the 8 coaches on our Football coaching staff aren't Coldwater grads.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 03-15-18, 04:16 PM
State2013 State2013 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-29-17
Posts: 21
State2013 is on a distinguished road
I know that every coach on Marions football minus Goodwin and his nephew are Marion Grads, every basketball is a Marion grad, and only one on the baseball staff is a Marion grad.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 03-15-18, 10:28 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,579
serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by State2013 View Post
Only 3 of them were not on the football roster. It's pretty common that the guys will end up playing all 3 "major" sports.
This isnít the case any longer. I believe only three of MLís juniors and seniors play all three sports seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 03-15-18, 11:44 PM
State2013 State2013 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-29-17
Posts: 21
State2013 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'd have to agree with you to a degree, because you're probably right. Baseball retaining usually takes a hit after sophomore year. I only graduated with roughly 25 guys, so we had to in order to keep an upper class presence, but it varies year to year no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 03-15-18, 11:48 PM
State2013 State2013 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-29-17
Posts: 21
State2013 is on a distinguished road
I probably should have left out major sports, and said 3 seasons, and that would give a larger sample size.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 03-16-18, 07:14 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,904
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I also wonder how many Mac coaches also went to the the schoo,. I know a very high percentage of FB and baseball coaches in CW also went to school there
I don't think that has anything to do with any success Marion Local has had. The 3 best coaches ML has had all came from outside the school district. Goodwin football, Besecker boys basketball, Steineger in volleyball.
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 03-16-18, 08:26 AM
thereckoning thereckoning is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-30-17
Posts: 128
thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with any success Marion Local has had. The 3 best coaches ML has had all came from outside the school district. Goodwin football, Besecker boys basketball, Steineger in volleyball.
Agreed. ML Football became a perennial powerhouse with Goodwin. Boys basketball is on the up and up and unlike a few other schools, the football players are actually encouraged to play basketball. Not sure about the volleyball coach (don't know much), but they have been great in recent years for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 03-16-18, 09:09 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,904
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
Agreed. ML Football became a perennial powerhouse with Goodwin. Boys basketball is on the up and up and unlike a few other schools, the football players are actually encouraged to play basketball. Not sure about the volleyball coach (don't know much), but they have been great in recent years for sure.
Besecker coached in the late 70's, Steininger is no longer the volleyball coach. However the 3 coaches I mentioned have accounted for 16 of ML's 18 state championships.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 03-16-18, 01:58 PM
CJK84 CJK84 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-04-15
Posts: 265
CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Besecker was a good basketball coach, but should not be mentioned in the same breath as Goodwin and Steiniger, for they are on an entirely different level.

True - the Flyers won the Class A state basketball championship in 1975. But that had more to do with the lone senior starter, point guard Rick Brunswick, than it did with Besecker.

The following season, with four starters returning, ML went 14-6.

I don't mean to dog on the man at all - he was good. But his accomplishments simply don't measure up to the other two.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 03-16-18, 02:25 PM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,904
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
Besecker was a good basketball coach, but should not be mentioned in the same breath as Goodwin and Steiniger, for they are on an entirely different level.

True - the Flyers won the Class A state basketball championship in 1975. But that had more to do with the lone senior starter, point guard Rick Brunswick, than it did with Besecker.

The following season, with four starters returning, ML went 14-6.

I don't mean to dog on the man at all - he was good. But his accomplishments simply don't measure up to the other two.
In 76, ML was 15-5 in bball and upset by Minster in the sectionals. However the following two seasons ML went 35 - 13 with squads that were not overly talented. But I was responding to a post that success maybe comes from hiring coaches with in the school district at ML, IMO that is not the case.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 03-16-18, 05:15 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,595
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
I would agree that you don't always have to hire alumni in order to become successful. John Reed was a Upper Sandusky grad
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 03-19-18, 01:03 PM
bigkat bigkat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-06-14
Posts: 3,165
bigkat is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Lady Cats for winning the Div 4 State Championship in girls basketball. This gives the Cats 4 State titles in the last 10 months--Baseball, Girls cross country, Football, and now Girls Basketball. Also the Girls track team were runner ups in Track. All the extra WORK seems to be paying off. Number 33 was a very cool thing for the girls to get.....

Also Congrats to the Lady Tigers of Versailles for being runner up in in DIV 3.....

and a BIG Good luck to the Boys basketball team from Maria Stein Marion LOcal as they make their way to Columbus on Thursday
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 03-23-18, 04:35 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 1,595
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Any idea how many people applied for the Parkway Job? Deadline is Friday March 9th.
Anything?
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 03-27-18, 09:06 AM
ReadyKnightsFan ReadyKnightsFan is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-31-16
Posts: 261
ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Thought I'd boost this to the top. Anything on Parkway?
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 03-28-18, 06:20 AM
OCLWarrior OCLWarrior is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-15-18
Posts: 69
OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Wink Wow

If this was any other school in the MAC, there would be a list of candidates printed here vying for the job. Since it's Parkway, no one knows anything? Trump better hire the Parkway school board and athletic director since they can keep a secret better than the government.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 03-28-18, 01:18 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,753
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
If this was any other school in the MAC, there would be a list of candidates printed here vying for the job. Since it's Parkway, no one knows anything? Trump better hire the Parkway school board and athletic director since they can keep a secret better than the government.
I like it that no news is coming out on whom is up for it. (that or no one is interested).

This is HS football. It isn't like college/nfl where a big pay day or promotion is on the line. A career progression and their livlihood's.

It is just HS sports where you don't do it for the money and I really do believe keeping the names under wraps is the way to go.

I STRONG believe that the reason why Goodwin is still at MSML is that a time or two his name was leaked out as a candidate at a school. One was in the Cincy area a few years ago and soon after that word got out that he withdrew.

Thankfully for the MAC and MSML.

I was privy to some names who were up for a local big time program a number of years ago. They were adamant to keep it under wraps, and I did.


Call me crazy but for HS sports...I think that keeping it under wraps is best.


One last call........Former Coldwater legend, John Reed (God Rest HIs Soul) pretty much had the Massillon job years ago. It was pretty much quiet but a few people knew. His name was leaking out and I believe that also was a factor in him ultimately turning it down.

Again, Thankfully to the MAC and Coldwater.



As for PW..........stability. They need stability. i don't know the history of their recent coaches but if they could find a football mind with a boy or two in the program meaning he just may stick around for the long haul and be all in is likely what they need but it will be very tough.


BUT>..if Ft Recovery can do it, if Minster can rise from the ashes (some Minsteronians wanted them to leave the league a number of years ago) then I don't know why PW cannot do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) cchs1983 Football 147 09-25-18 02:00 PM
2018 Best of the Midwest (Formerly Philo) - Saturday JANUARY 6, 2018 ptrsn Wrestling 103 01-07-18 09:39 PM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
Midwest Athletic Conference 2017 StateChampion2012 Football 1450 12-09-17 02:06 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz