Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-31-18, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
What about the kid from Moeller? I know he was unknown until he grew a ton from last year.

Mick’s best “recruits” have been transfers. He’s an angry dwarf and a poor leader.
You sound idiotic.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-18, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You sound idiotic.
Yeah, that’s smart keep defending Mick, that’ll get you far.
Old 03-31-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah, that’s smart keep defending Mick, that’ll get you far.
What are you talking about? Get me far? Lol.
Old 03-31-18, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What are you talking about? Get me far? Lol.
As a fan of UC. Stop defending this guy and send him packing if you want to win. He’s a loser with a bad attitude.
Old 03-31-18, 04:02 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He couldn’t last 9 months in college? I find that hard to believe.
I don't find that hard to believe at all. It's why he didn't get big program looks. That and there were serious concerns he'd be able to qualify. I don't blame him, more on the people that gave him the meal ticket. School isn't for him and he took the option that gives him the best opportunity. Found it strange Princeton's Super made an official statement about his decision today.
Old 03-31-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
That's believable to me. Qualifying concerns and the allegations of being "pay to play" would explain his mediocre offer list for being so highly rated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-18, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
That's believable to me. Qualifying concerns and the allegations of being "pay to play" would explain his mediocre offer list for being so highly rated.

Yeah, I don’t know why Mick would bother with this kid. Sounds like he did the smart thing.
Old 03-31-18, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah, I don’t know why Mick would bother with this kid. Sounds like he did the smart thing.
Acting like it was Mick’s choice. GTFOH. He’s no worse than Yancy Gates.
Old 03-31-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

A while back I heard Mick speak at a coaching clinic, and he made it abundantly clear that as a father/provider his biggest priority is identifying and avoiding "what can get me fired" in terms of personal conduct, player conduct, etc. If UC would get rid of Huggy Bear for things beyond wins, they would "sure as hell get rid of Mick from Grossbeck" considering he's not as good as Huggins.

Bazley sure seems to me to be a prospect that could get your rear end, and the program, nailed to the wall with what has been mentioned here. If any of what has been rumored is true, I would guarantee Mick avoided him beyond making a token offer to appease local coaches/power players with recruits. It's irrelevant whether or not he could actually get Bazley to UC.

Old 03-31-18, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
A while back I heard Mick speak at a coaching clinic, and he made it abundantly clear that as a father/provider his biggest priority is identifying and avoiding "what can get me fired" in terms of personal conduct, player conduct, etc. If UC would get rid of Huggy Bear for things beyond wins, they would "sure as hell get rid of Mick from Grossbeck" considering he's not as good as Huggins.

Bazley sure seems to me to be a prospect that could get your rear end, and the program, nailed to the wall with what has been mentioned here. If any of what has been rumored is true, I would guarantee Mick avoided him beyond making a token offer to appease local coaches/power players with recruits. It's irrelevant whether or not he could actually get Bazley to UC.

That first paragraph is exactly why I don’t like him. Playing up that “Regular Joe” angle to compensate for his inability. And Gates had as many red flags as Bazley.
Old 03-31-18, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That first paragraph is exactly why I don’t like him. Playing up that “Regular Joe” angle to compensate for his inability. And Gates had as many red flags as Bazley.
Yancy Gates was a decade ago early in Mick's UC career, and before Cronin entered the world of being a parent. Things and perspectives change. Just because he signed Gates 10 years ago and probably started recruiting him heavily as soon as he got to UC in 2006 doesn't obligate him to recruit Bazley now.

The regular Joe thing is kind of annoying. I think Mick's pretty average, and UC is fine with it because he brings both stability and consistency.

Old 03-31-18, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yancy Gates was a decade ago early in Mick's UC career, and before Cronin entered the world of being a parent. Things and perspectives change. Just because he signed Gates 10 years ago and probably started recruiting him heavily as soon as he got to UC in 2006 doesn't obligate him to recruit Bazley now.

The regular Joe thing is kind of annoying. I think Mick's pretty average, and UC is fine with it because he brings both stability and consistency.

Who gives af if he became a parent? And if he’s coaching to “not get fired”, he’s got the wrong mindset.
Old 03-31-18, 09:59 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fwiw Mick's brother, Dan, has been insinuating that Mick the kid was bad news for awhile now
Old 04-02-18, 09:55 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Who gives af if he became a parent? And if he’s coaching to “not get fired”, he’s got the wrong mindset.
This may come as a shock to you, but becoming a parents changes some peoples priorities and perspectives. Job security and being able to support your family becomes a huge concern once you have an actual family.
Old 04-02-18, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
This may come as a shock to you, but becoming a parents changes some peoples priorities and perspectives. Job security and being able to support your family becomes a huge concern once you have an actual family.
Yeah, I’m sure he would be homeless if he lost his job. He admitted to coaching to “not get fired”, if I were an AD I’d get rid of him right then and there. You saw that passive attitude bleed through to his team v Nevada, they played to not lose, and it cost them.
Old 04-02-18, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

Pretty obvious he was talking about off the court scandals when trying to "not get fired", but whatever.

Who could UC actually get that would be better than Mick? The answer is probably no one. Look around the AAC. Outside of Marshall (who'd be gone from Wichita if he wanted) and maybe Hurley, what other coaches are you taking over Mick?

Old 04-02-18, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty obvious he was talking about off the court scandals when trying to "not get fired", but whatever.

Who could UC actually get that would be better than Mick? The answer is probably no one. Look around the AAC. Outside of Marshall (who'd be gone from Wichita if he wanted) and maybe Hurley, what other coaches are you taking over Mick?

So you’re ok with having the 3rd best Coach in a sh1tty League?
Old 04-02-18, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think they can do better unless they get into a power conference. In their league, there's a huge drop off after those three guys, and the only one who's "elite" is Marshall. Off of track record, I think it's highly debatable to say Hurley is better than Mick, by the way.

Old 04-02-18, 01:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think they can do better unless they get into a power conference. In their league, there's a huge drop off after those three guys, and the only one who's "elite" is Marshall. Off of track record, I think it's highly debatable to say Hurley is better than Mick, by the way.

Hurley’s ceiling is way higher. He’s not as established as Mick, but if I’m UC, I want someone whose top priority is winning, even if that means they’ll bolt in 5 years. I know the term “stepping stone” is viewed as derogatory, but every job sans maybe 10 schools (at most) is a stepping stone.
Old 04-02-18, 02:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hurley’s ceiling is way higher. He’s not as established as Mick, but if I’m UC, I want someone whose top priority is winning, even if that means they’ll bolt in 5 years. I know the term “stepping stone” is viewed as derogatory, but every job sans maybe 10 schools (at most) is a stepping stone.
I like the thought, but it's a lot more difficult to use a job as a "stepping stone" in college basketball than it is in college football. Established coaches seem to stay in coaching in basketball a lot longer than they do in football, and top 10-15 jobs generally have a very low rate of turnover. I don't think UC basketball could employ the same coaching model that has resulted in the best years of UC football. Stability just seems to be valued far, far more in college basketball than in college football.

Old 04-02-18, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I assume Marshall is one of the two you'd have ahead of Mick, who's the other? Hurley? A guy who hasn't coached one game in the AAC yet?
Old 04-02-18, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I like the thought, but it's a lot more difficult to use a job as a "stepping stone" in college basketball than it is in college football. Established coaches seem to stay in coaching in basketball a lot longer than they do in football, and top 10-15 jobs generally have a very low rate of turnover. I don't think UC basketball could employ the same coaching model that has resulted in the best years of UC football. Stability just seems to be valued far, far more in college basketball than in college football.

There’s so very few Blueblood programs where you wouldn’t leave unless you’re going to the NBA or fired. UK, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Kansas, IU, and maybe a few other schools would be near that top tier.

There is a risk if Hurley comes in and does extremely well he’ll be on the wishlist to replace Coach K or Roy Williams in a few years. However, that’s something you’ve got to live with being UC.
Old 04-02-18, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I assume Marshall is one of the two you'd have ahead of Mick, who's the other? Hurley? A guy who hasn't coached one game in the AAC yet?
Absolutely. And let’s not pretend there’s a huge gap b/w the competition in the A10 and AAC.
Old 04-02-18, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Well, Mick did just win the AAC and had a #2 seed, so yeah, I guess.
Old 04-02-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There’s so very few Blueblood programs where you wouldn’t leave unless you’re going to the NBA or fired. UK, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Kansas, IU, and maybe a few other schools would be near that top tier.

There is a risk if Hurley comes in and does extremely well he’ll be on the wishlist to replace Coach K or Roy Williams in a few years. However, that’s something you’ve got to live with being UC.
There's a major trickle down effect though. I'd consider the Big 10 to be a league with a lot of "2nd tier" jobs that are somewhere in the 10-40 range and the turnover rate is really low. IU's theoretically the best job and borderline blueblood and they tolerated Tom Crean's mediocracy for 9-10 years in a basketball crazy state.

Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Purdue all have/recently had coaches with 12-15 year tenures. Izzo's on year 22 or 23 at Michigan State. Illinois has had some turnover the last 5-6 years, but previously Bruce Weber had a 10-11 year stint as the coach.

Old 04-02-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Anyway, this is still ridiculous to be talking about. After the first 3-4 years where UC was rebuilding and in shambles, Cronin's had like a .740 winning percentage the last 8 years, which averages to about 26-9 every year. Nobody's firing that in hopes of better. Frankly, they're probably fortunate that the recent wave of hires at Indiana, Ohio State and Illinois didn't take him away.

Old 04-02-18, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Pboy is a flaming moron.
Old 04-02-18, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy
Quote:
Anyway, this is still ridiculous to be talking about. After the first 3-4 years where UC was rebuilding and in shambles, Cronin's had like a .740 winning percentage the last 8 years, which averages to about 26-9 every year. Nobody's firing that in hopes of better. Frankly, they're probably fortunate that the recent wave of hires at Indiana, Ohio State and Illinois didn't take him away.

Hard to disagree with this. Cronin had plenty of success at Murray State and for the most part has done a good job at UC after what he inherited.
Even in the Big East before it became Big East Lite there were some nice wins against good teams. Biggest complaint here is the offense and the inability to adjust when things go south. Would like to see some creative offensive assistant coach added to the mix.
Old 04-02-18, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

You think those schools, sans Illinois would want him? Hell no. IU and OSU actually expect to advance in the Tourney, and that’s not Mick’s thing.
Old 04-02-18, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pboy is a flaming moron.
You’re right, Mick’s awesome. How many FFs has he been to? Elite 8s? He’s not any f***kin’ good. And frankly, he’s a POS. For a coach to not take responsibility after that loss, unacceptable.