Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-29-18, 03:34 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
As i said in another thread. He wont make it and this adds credence to the pay for play rumors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-18, 03:36 PM
All World

Low motor guys drafted on talent hardly ever make it.
Old 03-29-18, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Most sites don't have him first round. Some don't have him being drafted at all.
Thought it was a stretch myself,but here's the article: https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-t...193725979.html
Old 03-29-18, 03:37 PM
All World

How does this work? Is he a free agent?
Old 03-29-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I believe that the G-League has their own draft sometime around when initial NBA rosters appear to be set for the beginning of the season.
Old 03-29-18, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

Curious if others will follow suit. I know that Europe/China is rough for young guys, but this kid and others would probably make 5-10x as much as the G-League will pay. In the event you bomb, there's actually money to fall back on to go back to school or get established in some other venture. If you bomb in 2-3 years on a G-League salary you have next to nothing.
Old 03-29-18, 05:44 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Curious if others will follow suit. I know that Europe/China is rough for young guys, but this kid and others would probably make 5-10x as much as the G-League will pay. In the event you bomb, there's actually money to fall back on to go back to school or get established in some other venture. If you bomb in 2-3 years on a G-League salary you have next to nothing.
Depends upon how much money the shoe companies will pay him
Old 03-29-18, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Salary will be in the range of 26 to 40 thousand. Be interesting to see if more go this route if the FBI investigation kicks in after the tourney.
Old 03-29-18, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

I might be off, but I was thinking that the G-League max (or at least first contract) was 26k.

I can't believe that Bazley would get much, if anything at all, from a shoe company. He's a G-Leaguer with shaky draft predictability. He's no surefire high draft pick like a Marvin Bagley or Zion Williamson.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-18, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Depends upon how much money the shoe companies will pay him
At least it should be out in the open now. The player would have to be off the charts to get the Bagley family package though.
Old 03-29-18, 08:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I might be off, but I was thinking that the G-League max (or at least first contract) was 26k.

You might be right. Maybe there is a max for a high school kid coming in and an older player like Sumner or Caupin getting more. Maybe a player sent there by an NBA team can get the high end.
Old 03-29-18, 08:25 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
$44k is the max for a player without any sort of NBA team affiliation.
Old 03-29-18, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Low motor guys drafted on talent hardly ever make it.
+1. I wish nothing but the best for the kid, but I'm skeptical when somebody with so much alleged potential and physical tools only averaged 15 ppg or so in the GMC. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 03-30-18, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I can't believe that Bazley would get much, if anything at all, from a shoe company. He's a G-Leaguer with shaky draft predictability. He's no surefire high draft pick like a Marvin Bagley or Zion Williamson.

Don't know what he will get but the shoe companies have given out $100,000+ to players no one ever heard from again. They hedge their bets that one of them becomes the next star out of nowhere and that way they end up with them relatively cheaply compared to what they become. The first contracts for players like Steph Curry and James Harden are a pittance to what they got in second contracts.

Again don't know Bazely's situation but it's not like the shoe companies haven't thrown money around before.
Old 03-30-18, 10:51 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
High school coach was an UA guy but he played on a Nike AAU team. If one of the shoe companies bites on these guys then it'd really open the doors for future guys to follow suit in my opinion.
Old 03-30-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

If the shoe companies threw 25-100k endorsements at these guys just about every 5 star guy would go this route instead of the 1-2 year college route.

Old 03-30-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

The most recent model of shoe company enticements have been geared more toward parents, coaches and advisers. If they end all that nonsense and pay the players up front they could entice more to go this route. One wonders how much influence the high powered college coaches would have to pressure the shoe companies against doing it.
Old 03-30-18, 12:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
The most recent model of shoe company enticements have been geared more toward parents, coaches and advisers. If they end all that nonsense and pay the players up front they could entice more to go this route. One wonders how much influence the high powered college coaches would have to pressure the shoe companies against doing it.
I think most high powered coaches want to end the one and done rule. In fact Calipari is one of the most vocal against the one and done rule. I think most coaches want to do what is right for the athletes and for some of them that is not going to college.
Old 03-30-18, 12:35 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Bazely's decision is terrible, I don't understand it at all. He's passing up a chance to play in the ACC one year, Duke, North Carolina, Virgina, Louisville, with Jim Boeheim to play in Canton, Ft. Wayne and Souix Falls for coaches we've never heard of before? Here's the kicker...IF it doesn't work out next year, he flops and or isn't drafted, he could stay in college for another year or two, get an education AND continue to play basketball.
So many have just discounted the value of a college education. There are so many of these guys who never make it. Sure, everyone thinks they can, but few make it.
An example that some of you may remember. Caleb Swannigan, played at Purdue a few years ago. Coming out of high school, he was a can't miss one and done player. Went to Purdue, struggled to perform in the big ten, stayed for his sophomore year and was much better, then declared for the draft. He's currently on the Trailblazers, played only 20 games this season, 7 minutes per game. His future is certainly in doubt.
Old 03-30-18, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

Not saying that this would be the case with Bazley, but a lot of the high end recruits aren't going to be able to make the most of a free education due to their academic achievement to date and/or their school cornholing them into a relatively easy course of study due to the time schedule and demands of basketball.

Old 03-30-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I think most high powered coaches want to end the one and done rule. In fact Calipari is one of the most vocal against the one and done rule. I think most coaches want to do what is right for the athletes and for some of them that is not going to college.
They do all talk a good game now that the spotlight is shining directly on them.
Crazy all this nonsense for a few players a year good enough to make it out of high school.
Old 03-30-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not saying that this would be the case with Bazley, but a lot of the high end recruits aren't going to be able to make the most of a free education due to their academic achievement to date and/or their school cornholing them into a relatively easy course of study due to the time schedule and demands of basketball.

North Carolina can work up a program for them.
Old 03-30-18, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

Lol UNC is the worst (that we are aware of), but most of these kids aren't studying anything of any real benefit to them.

I went to Cal's clinic this year, and in the program/media guide they handed out it listed most of UK's kids as majoring in some agriculture/equestrian related major. Pretty easy to guess it was what was academically advised due to having easy lower level major courses and probably the easiest trac of gen ed classes for the first 1-2 years before they go pro.

Old 03-30-18, 01:20 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
An example that some of you may remember. Caleb Swannigan, played at Purdue a few years ago. Coming out of high school, he was a can't miss one and done player. Went to Purdue, struggled to perform in the big ten, stayed for his sophomore year and was much better, then declared for the draft. He's currently on the Trailblazers, played only 20 games this season, 7 minutes per game. His future is certainly in doubt.
Well, he still made about a million dollars after tax. Which is significantly more money than he would have made with his general studies degree he was studying for at Purdue. Yeah, he definitely made the wrong decision.
Old 03-30-18, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

I wish that I had the doubt of banking $3.2 million before taxes, fully guaranteed, that Swanigan will be paid through next year. That's pretty much guaranteed to be more than he'd make over the course of a lifetime with a bachelor's degree.

Barring major injury, I'd say he has significant job security. He may have NBA athletic limitations, but he's the type of player that high-end European clubs would kill to have for a few hundred grand a year. He could probably play for 7-8 years in Europe and make another $3 million at least if he ends up being a fringe NBA roster/G League player.

Old 03-30-18, 02:22 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
14Red is a complete moron. He routinely says guys that have made millions made bad decisions for their future.
Old 03-30-18, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Lol, pboy looks like a moron ragging on Mick for not recruiting the kid.
Old 03-30-18, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Lol, pboy looks like a moron ragging on Mick for not recruiting the kid.
I guess that makes Jim Boheim a bigger moron? Donít act like Mick knew this kid would skip college all together. And as others have mentioned, heís taken on other local kids with character issues.

This changes nothing. Mick is still a pathetic loser who plays up an image to distract the fan base from his failures. Oh but his friend has cancer, so no criticizing him for letting his team blow the largest 2nd half lead in Tourney history.
Old 03-30-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
"Pathetic loser" is a bit hyperbolic. Sure his ceiling isn't as high as we'd like, but he's still a good coach. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.
Old 03-30-18, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I guess that makes Jim Boheim a bigger moron? Donít act like Mick knew this kid would skip college all together. And as others have mentioned, heís taken on other local kids with character issues.

This changes nothing. Mick is still a pathetic loser who plays up an image to distract the fan base from his failures. Oh but his friend has cancer, so no criticizing him for letting his team blow the largest 2nd half lead in Tourney history.
Than you? Of course not!