Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-14-18, 12:50 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Lol Pboy wants UC to be the first team in any sport ever to fire a coach for winning 86% of his games the 2 seasons prior. Complete moron.
Whatís he done in the Tournament? Nothing. And he shows no signs heís willing to adapt, which means it will keep happening. Cut your losses now.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 12:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yeah, thatís stupid. Christ.
No, whatís stupid is hanging on to a coach who canít win in the Tournament. 30 wins in the AAC means nothing. So you beat up on the dregs of College bball, who gives af? Theyíll probably win 25+ games next year and still do nothing in the Tourney. Theyíre a terrible Aoffensive team and Mick wonít make the changes to improve.
Old 04-14-18, 07:16 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How many of them can UC hire?
They can get Mike Davis.
Old 04-14-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Itís not a realistic expectation bc youíve got a limp dik coach. And what was UCís SOS the past 2 seasons they won 30 games? Theyíre playing against awful competition. 30 wins in a P5 conference is impressive, not impressive when youíre a big fish in a small pond. How can you continually ignore Mickís abhorrent Tourney track record?

You really donít think itís telling Mick wasnít even considered for the Ville job? He was an Asst under Pitino for 3 seasons.
They weren't touching ANY Pitino player or assistant.
Old 04-14-18, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Cronin has the reputation for having teams that have struggled offensively and not gone deep in the tourney, therefore he wouldn’t be a sexy candidate like Mack, nevermind the past Pitino connection. Anyway, he’s a good fit right now to keep Cincinnati relevant. If they can make a leap to a power conference, they might have the luxury of taking a chance on a hot up and coming coach, but AAC dominance, 25+ wins, and 5 or lower tourney seeds is a great return for UC under Cronin.
Old 04-14-18, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Cronin has the reputation for having teams that have struggled offensively and not gone deep in the tourney, therefore he wouldnít be a sexy candidate like Mack, nevermind the past Pitino connection. Anyway, heís a good fit right now to keep Cincinnati relevant. If they can make a leap to a power conference, they might have the luxury of taking a chance on a hot up and coming coach, but AAC dominance, 25+ wins, and 5 or lower tourney seeds is a great return for UC under Cronin.
I disagree. I think those expectations are far too low. If Witchita St can take a risk on Gregg Marshall, why canít UC do something similar?
Old 04-14-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I disagree. I think those expectations are far too low. If Witchita St can take a risk on Gregg Marshall, why canít UC do something similar?
They didnít fire a coach the stature of Cronin to take a risk on Marshall, because that would be absolutely idiotic. You sound like a moron.
Old 04-14-18, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Take a chance on Marshall? What the hell are you talking about? Mark Turgeon left WSU for Texas A&M. Wichita needed a head coach . You're trolling at this point, right?
Old 04-14-18, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Honestly, Cronin's teams have been pretty similar to Huggins in terms of postseason vs. regular season success. Bobby was able to develop some more exciting and better offensive players than Cronin but the end results haven't been far apart
Old 04-14-18, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Honestly, Cronin's teams have been pretty similar to Huggins in terms of postseason vs. regular season success. Bobby was able to develop some more exciting and better offensive players than Cronin but the end results haven't been far apart
I think the same. Outside of the really successful run he had in the first half of the 90s, I think Huggins was much the same as Mick's been. Ironically, probably also due to offense but for differing reasons. They had exciting guys that could score, but Huggins was and continues to be pretty basic offensively.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-18, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Huggs went to a FF and E8, thatís a big difference.
Old 04-14-18, 06:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Take a chance on Marshall? What the hell are you talking about? Mark Turgeon left WSU for Texas A&M. Wichita needed a head coach . You're trolling at this point, right?
UC needs to make the decision to plod along or find the next up and coming HC. If WSU can be succesful at a high level, UC should be able to do the same.

And why would you want a coach who has no intent on changing to get his teams better prepared for the Tournament.
Old 04-14-18, 10:14 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
There's a very high probability they'd end up with somebody who wouldn't be any better, and in all likelihood, who would be worse and more likely to take the program backward than forward.

The three best Huggins' era teams had at least one of Van Exel, Blount and Fortson on them. His tournament record at UC without them wasn't really any different than what Mick's done.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-18, 10:23 PM
All World

What has Mick said he is unwilling to change? Offense? That should be a point of contention
Old 04-15-18, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

Apparently pboy is upset over what mick said or didn’t say at some press conference. Who know? Who cares?
Old 04-15-18, 10:15 AM
All World

I mean yeah i guess i would be upset if he had no plans of changing his offense or bringing in a more offensive minded assistant coach.

I think Mick would even admit he is a bad offensive coach and that is the biggest need for improvement if he wants to make a deep run. Maybe even try to sign a couple guys who are spot up shooters would help matters.

I am sure there is some truth to what Pboy says as far as accepting blame, which not many people are good at. But i think after some time has passed he is probably thinking about things he could have done.

If, and that is a big IF, he ever learned how to coach an offense he would be able to make a run in the tourney. However i think what we see is what we get as far as offense goes from him.
Old 04-15-18, 04:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I mean yeah i guess i would be upset if he had no plans of changing his offense or bringing in a more offensive minded assistant coach.

I think Mick would even admit he is a bad offensive coach and that is the biggest need for improvement if he wants to make a deep run. Maybe even try to sign a couple guys who are spot up shooters would help matters.

I am sure there is some truth to what Pboy says as far as accepting blame, which not many people are good at. But i think after some time has passed he is probably thinking about things he could have done.

If, and that is a big IF, he ever learned how to coach an offense he would be able to make a run in the tourney. However i think what we see is what we get as far as offense goes from him.
How many yrs has he had a chance to improve his Offense and heís done nothing? And until he owns his part in the Nevada meltdown, how can you trust him?
Old 04-15-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

I like him because he wins a ton of games. Pretty sure that’s why the University likes him too. All this blubbering by you is just a bunch of moronic nonsense.
Old 04-15-18, 11:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I like him because he wins a ton of games. Pretty sure thatís why the University likes him too. All this blubbering by you is just a bunch of moronic nonsense.
He wins a lot of meaningless games. How are you so hung up on those 30 wins when only 3 of them were quality wins. Heís picking off a lot of low hanging fruit.
Old 04-16-18, 07:00 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post

The bold are my issues with Mick. As I have pointed out, all three of Davis, Savino and Antwan Jackson have been the assistants since 2012-13. Davis and Savino have been there since at least 2011-12. I'm guessing both have been there longer but Wikipedia doesn't show the assistants for any prior years and I'm not digging that deep for it. Something has to change on that staff and it has to be offensive minded.

And I agree there's some truth to Mick no accepting his role in things. I also think Pboy blows it out of proportion.
Old 04-16-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
He wins a lot of meaningless games. How are you so hung up on those 30 wins when only 3 of them were quality wins. Heís picking off a lot of low hanging fruit.
Thatís not really true, but even if it is viewed that way, it still earned them at top 15 ranking and a 2 seed. Thatís pretty damn strong.
Old 04-17-18, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy
When thinking about Cincinnati area college coaches it looks like we had two hometown coaches who loved the hometown persona. One decided the money was enough to leave his hometown program and his players. The other turned down a 4 million dollar package from UNLV and Under Armor in 2016 to stay home because he didn't want to leave his hometown school and players. Loyalty meant more than dollars to one of the coaches.
Since then he has won about 60 games.

Granted during the Nevada crash and burn I turned on Wicked Tuna and never went back to the game. That being said UC isn't getting any better than Mick Cronin at this time. He's actually doing a pretty good job.
Old 04-17-18, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

It’s pretty obvious to any half wit he’s doing a good job.
Old 04-18-18, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Thatís not really true, but even if it is viewed that way, it still earned them at top 15 ranking and a 2 seed. Thatís pretty damn strong.
And what happened with that 2 seed? Same thing that happens every yr come Tourney time. How can you so blatantly ignore heís a terrible tournament coach?
Old 04-18-18, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
When thinking about Cincinnati area college coaches it looks like we had two hometown coaches who loved the hometown persona. One decided the money was enough to leave his hometown program and his players. The other turned down a 4 million dollar package from UNLV and Under Armor in 2016 to stay home because he didn't want to leave his hometown school and players. Loyalty meant more than dollars to one of the coaches.
Since then he has won about 60 games.

Granted during the Nevada crash and burn I turned on Wicked Tuna and never went back to the game. That being said UC isn't getting any better than Mick Cronin at this time. He's actually doing a pretty good job.
UNLV is a garbage job, no matter the $, itís a backwards move. And that hometown persona is played out. Itís a defense mechanism so small minded fans like you donít criticize him. Heís been a complete failure in the Tourney and has shown zero interest in changing. And if heís not focused on getting better Tourney results, why keep him? IMO, Iíd rather take a big risk on a lesser name that just stay stagnant and pretend 30 wins with a 2nd Rnd exit every yr is impressive.
Old 04-18-18, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Itís pretty obvious to any half wit heís doing a good job.
Whatever his Regular Season record is, 1 S16 in 12 years isnít good.
Old 04-18-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And what happened with that 2 seed? Same thing that happens every yr come Tourney time. How can you so blatantly ignore heís a terrible tournament coach?
So heís gotten UC into the top 32 pretty much every year. The tourney is about matchups and advancing isnít easy. Iím fine with Croninís record right now.
Old 04-18-18, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
So heís gotten UC into the top 32 pretty much every year. The tourney is about matchups and advancing isnít easy. Iím fine with Croninís record right now.
Itís not easy, thatís what separates mediocre coaches from good coaches. The good coaches eventually adapt and advance.
Old 04-18-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Itís not easy, thatís what separates mediocre coaches from good coaches. The good coaches eventually adapt and advance.
Agree. I have confidence Mick will advance further in future seasons.
Old 04-18-18, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Agree. I have confidence Mick will advance further in future seasons.
Based on what? That was his best team ever and failed tremendously. And he shows no signs of changing that would propel his team’s advancement.

I know you’ve got a soft spot for mediocre coaches who don’t adapt, but at least face reality.