Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-19-18, 02:44 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
If you are a high school star being recruited by UC...

...does the Nevada loss impact your decision?

I'm curious what others think. If you are a star high schooler being recruited by UC does yesterday's game have any impact on your decision?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 02:54 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The Nevada loss specifically? No.
Cronin's lack of offense, tantrums, and seemingly lack of respect on the court for his players and assistants? Yes.
Old 03-19-18, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
While most of the blame falls on Cronin, he wasn't the one taking rushed shots when Nevada was trying to speed up the game. Cumberland took a quick 3, as did Broome, Evans took a bad shot and had a turnover, Washington took a fade away jumper from the corner, Jenifer took a FT jump shot and all of these with more than 15 seconds left on the shot clock. Yes, the blame falls mostly on Cronin, but it was a collective effort. You don't blow a 22-point lead because of one guy.
Old 03-19-18, 03:08 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
His lack of offense would be the biggest deterrent IMO. He's clearly got players with the skill to be able to score points, his system seems to stunt that.
Old 03-19-18, 03:31 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
The Nevada loss specifically? No.
Cronin's lack of offense, tantrums, and seemingly lack of respect on the court for his players and assistants? Yes.
Pretty much. I wonder if the kid from Princeton even considered UC.
Old 03-19-18, 04:30 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
My people at Finneytown said he never seriously considered them and was only fishing for big name offers.
Old 03-19-18, 04:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
My people at Finneytown said he never seriously considered them and was only fishing for big name offers.
The fact he never seriously considered them should be a huge red flag. I get why a Top 10 player might go elsewhere, but when you’ve got a player of the caliber in your backyard and your school is afterthought, that’s bad. Also, Syracuse isn’t exactly a “flashy” program that plays up tempo and scores a lot of points, their style is more like UC than a UNC, KY, or Kansas.
Old 03-19-18, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Syracuse isn’t a flashy program. Lol.
Old 03-19-18, 05:23 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
How many players has Cronin put in the NBA? Just Stephenson right? And he was barely drafted. That's pretty pathetic for a 12 year tenure at a major program.

If you have NBA aspirations, it's certainly not the place to go.

So if he's not going to get top level talent, it's difficult to say he'd be better off running a high temp offense. On the other hand, maybe he would get better talent if he changed the offense. Chicken or the egg I guess, but I'm not nearly as familiar with the program as most on here so I could be way off.
Old 03-19-18, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

Kirkpatrick is still in the nba.

Could have two guys from this years team- Evans and Clark.
Old 03-19-18, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Syracuse isn’t a flashy program. Lol.
That’s my point. They play an “ugly” brand of bball like UC, but still pulled the Bazely kid w/o much fight from UC. If I were a UC fan, I’d see that as a huge issue.
Old 03-19-18, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

I was being sarcastic, Syracuse is a far higher profile program than UC.
Old 03-19-18, 08:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, Syracuse is a far higher profile program than UC.
Yeah, but UC should've still been in much closer contention.
Old 03-19-18, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Okay pboy.
Old 03-19-18, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Okay pboy.
We're not talking about a Top 10 player in CA or NY, this is a kid in your backyard. UC should've been in contention.
Old 03-20-18, 05:43 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
We're not talking about a Top 10 player in CA or NY, this is a kid in your backyard. UC should've been in contention.
These kids didn't grow up thinking of UC as anything close to a blue blood or high major program. They never saw Huggins or Kenyon Martin in person, heck I'd be surprised if any high schoolers nowadays remember Lance Stephenson at UC.

I wish UC could lockdown any local 3-star+ recruit with ease these days but the truth is they have a lot more winning to do (in March particularly) before their recruiting sees a major positive shift.
Old 03-20-18, 06:12 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
No idea, but it seems not. I do know UC never considered him. Pay to play kind of kid from what I read.
Old 03-20-18, 07:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
These kids didn't grow up thinking of UC as anything close to a blue blood or high major program. They never saw Huggins or Kenyon Martin in person, heck I'd be surprised if any high schoolers nowadays remember Lance Stephenson at UC.

I wish UC could lockdown any local 3-star+ recruit with ease these days but the truth is they have a lot more winning to do (in March particularly) before their recruiting sees a major positive shift.
They’ve got to get out of the AAC. That’s a given.
Old 03-20-18, 07:02 AM
All Yappi

Basketball isn’t like football, you don’t have to “lock down your backyard”, you can get kids from all over the country and be very successful. Pboy’s a moron.
Old 03-20-18, 07:06 AM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
How many players has Cronin put in the NBA? Just Stephenson right? And he was barely drafted. That's pretty pathetic for a 12 year tenure at a major program.

If you have NBA aspirations, it's certainly not the place to go.

So if he's not going to get top level talent, it's difficult to say he'd be better off running a high temp offense. On the other hand, maybe he would get better talent if he changed the offense. Chicken or the egg I guess, but I'm not nearly as familiar with the program as most on here so I could be way off.
Not necessarily. Each year they have in improved in rankings. Remember, he took the program over when it was in shambles. Had Juco players that had no business playing D1, football players down in the post. 5 Stars are hard to get, they are automatically glued to UNC, Duke, UK, etc. Due to their consistency and high prestige. 5 stars are not easy to land. I do like getting transfers, such as Washington and Broome.
Old 03-20-18, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Basketball isn’t like football, you don’t have to “lock down your backyard”, you can get kids from all over the country and be very successful. Pboy’s a moron.
You need to lockdown a top 10 player in your city. EP’s a moron for thinking it’s not a big deal UC was totally ignored by this kid.

And again, if Cronin’s only an above avg coach, why keep him? An above avg coach in a non P5 is not someone who can go to a FF or win a title.
Old 03-20-18, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

Basketball recruiting is national, not local. Pboy’s a flaming moron for not knowing this.

UC doesn’t have national title aspirations pboy. Neither does Xavier, to be quite honest. Are you really this stupid?
Old 03-20-18, 08:23 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All one has to do is look at UK to understand this. I lived in Lexington when Pitino started coaching Kentucky. He started quite a few Kentucky bred kids the first couple years but then started bringing in kids from New York and other areas to the disgruntlement of the UK fans. But once he started winning they didn't care where they came from. Now look at what Calipari does. Homegrown doesn't mean squat on a college team. Winning will bring the talent you need, especially winning during March Madness.

Mick seems to be a really good recruiter but he doesn't seem to develop the talent to its max while he has them on the court. I know some of the players may have taken ill advised shots during the drought in that game but that is where it's the coach's responsibility to real it in during time outs and get them to focus and think. The Broome miscue at the end of the Nevada game is a good example. Broome headed straight under the basket even though it was defended. Broome can hit the three, he would have had a better chance pulling up and firing a three versus what he did dribbling into coverage under the basket where he couldn't even get a shot. During the drought, I had more of a problem with the indecisiveness then some of the questionable shots. There were many times they had the ball in the paint and the UC player didn't know what to do. I honestly believe it's fear of catching h3!! from Cronin if they do something he probably didn't like.
Old 03-20-18, 08:31 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
There just aren't enough players to consistently recruit locally. In football there's a ton more kids, so there will always be some level of local talent. In basketball it can be 3-5 years for every 1 high-end prospect to come out of Cincinnati.
Old 03-20-18, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Basketball recruiting is national, not local. Pboy’s a flaming moron for not knowing this.

UC doesn’t have national title aspirations pboy. Neither does Xavier, to be quite honest. Are you really this stupid?
I’m not sure what you mean by “National” aspirations. Xavier absolutely has the ability to compete for a National Title, and UC should have that ability. You’re burying your head in the sand with regards to the Princeton kid. A lot of top recruits at least keep their hometown school as an option, UC wasn’t even on this kid’s radar. How does that not raise a red flag? No, normally UC and XU don’t get that type of talent, but the exception is usually if the kid is local.
Old 03-20-18, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
All one has to do is look at UK to understand this. I lived in Lexington when Pitino started coaching Kentucky. He started quite a few Kentucky bred kids the first couple years but then started bringing in kids from New York and other areas to the disgruntlement of the UK fans. But once he started winning they didn't care where they came from. Now look at what Calipari does. Homegrown doesn't mean squat on a college team. Winning will bring the talent you need, especially winning during March Madness.

Mick seems to be a really good recruiter but he doesn't seem to develop the talent to its max while he has them on the court. I know some of the players may have taken ill advised shots during the drought in that game but that is where it's the coach's responsibility to real it in during time outs and get them to focus and think. The Broome miscue at the end of the Nevada game is a good example. Broome headed straight under the basket even though it was defended. Broome can hit the three, he would have had a better chance pulling up and firing a three versus what he did dribbling into coverage under the basket where he couldn't even get a shot. During the drought, I had more of a problem with the indecisiveness then some of the questionable shots. There were many times they had the ball in the paint and the UC player didn't know what to do. I honestly believe it's fear of catching h3!! from Cronin if they do something he probably didn't like.

You misunderstand. I’m not saying they should only recruit local kids, but when a Top 10 player in the country is in your city, you need to focus on him. For programs like UC and XU, that’s an outlier, but still a situation you need to take advantage of.
Old 03-20-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by “National” aspirations. Xavier absolutely has the ability to compete for a National Title, and UC should have that ability. You’re burying your head in the sand with regards to the Princeton kid. A lot of top recruits at least keep their hometown school as an option, UC wasn’t even on this kid’s radar. How does that not raise a red flag? No, normally UC and XU don’t get that type of talent, but the exception is usually if the kid is local.
You don’t know what a national title means? Lol. Neither team has the talent base or coaching to win a national title. Basketball recruiting is national and what one kid decides isn’t material. You’re being a dumbazz, I suppose on purpose. Did the Princeton kid consider Xavier? Should Mack be fired for not locking him down?
Old 03-20-18, 09:58 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
As Taco alluded that kid is rumored to pay to play.
Old 03-20-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You don’t know what a national title means? Lol. Neither team has the talent base or coaching to win a national title. Basketball recruiting is national and what one kid decides isn’t material. You’re being a dumbazz, I suppose on purpose. Did the Princeton kid consider Xavier? Should Mack be fired for not locking him down?
Xavier absolutely had the talent to win a Title, they were a 1 seed out of a tough conference. Mack is a far better coach than Mick. Tossing aside head to head record and tournament success, look at the school’s that havev courted Mack for their HC job vs Mick.
Old 03-20-18, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Xavier absolutely had the talent to win a Title, they were a 1 seed out of a tough conference. Mack is a far better coach than Mick. Tossing aside head to head record and tournament success, look at the school’s that havev courted Mack for their HC job vs Mick.
BS, no they didn’t.