Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-21-17, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Coaching Vacancy

Ray Fantozzi out as Copley baseball coach? Can anybody confirm or comment?

Last edited by Hitnrun; 12-21-17 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-17, 10:36 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
It would be awfully late to have to find another coach.
Old 12-23-17, 01:43 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
With a couple head-case parents there, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "white knight" ready to ride in and save the day
Old 12-23-17, 09:46 AM
All District

?

Did he actually step down?
Old 12-26-17, 06:16 PM
All Ohio

According to the boys on team and parents, coach resigned, possibly at Dec school board meeting. Haven't seen anything official from Copley yet, though.
Old 01-05-18, 05:18 PM
All District

Deadline to apply was today. Anyone know who might have applied?
Old 01-06-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Seems pretty hush, hush right now. Team members saying coach resigned, certain people who have has close association to the team in past say he hasn't. Guess time will tell.
Old 01-06-18, 10:53 AM
All District

I saw they posted the job with a deadline of January 5th. I heard a rumor that Ventura might have applied, and one of the Hoban assistants from a few years ago was interested.

I didn’t know if Copley had an “inside” candidate.
Old 01-06-18, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

Heard the same thing re: Ventura. He would be a great choice if the job is indeed open. Also Mark Kelly from IVL/Norton was interested prior to Fantozzi hire. Kelly is currently Cloverleaf assistant. AD Chupa needs to be looking for someone long term, which Fantozzi definetly is not. Not just a year or so. Chupa does have a relationship w/Ventura thru IVL. Fantozzi genuinely a good guy, but just didn't mesh with last year's group. Way to many in game mistakes, poor communication with parents/kids, poor record with so many returning kids didn't help.
Old 01-12-18, 04:46 PM
All District

Just heard coach Fantozzi will be back.
Old 01-13-18, 09:57 AM
All Ohio

If true, curious to see how may of the returning players come back. I'm hearing some may decide not to play.
Old 01-13-18, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
If true, curious to see how may of the returning players come back. I'm hearing some may decide not to play.
The spoiled little weenies would only be cheating themselves, if it was only due to head coach.

Over the years, I've seen some marginal players that didn't want to put the work in any more pick "Coach is a jerk!" as their reason for punking out, but it was really "I don't love this game enough to work hard and maybe have a younger kid play ahead of me."

Too bad so many whiny-azz entitled adults ruin things by teaching their kids to think as they do. They get cheated out of some good times by not learning to find the best in any situation.
Old 01-13-18, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Heard the same thing re: Ventura. He would be a great choice if the job is indeed open. Also Mark Kelly from IVL/Norton was interested prior to Fantozzi hire. Kelly is currently Cloverleaf assistant. AD Chupa needs to be looking for someone long term, which Fantozzi definetly is not. Not just a year or so. Chupa does have a relationship w/Ventura thru IVL. Fantozzi genuinely a good guy, but just didn't mesh with last year's group. Way to many in game mistakes, poor communication with parents/kids, poor record with so many returning kids didn't help.
If John ever takes a HS job, I'd think it would be because Kazmar decides to step aside. He's pretty busy privately, I'd think. It would take something special.
Old 01-13-18, 02:31 PM
All District

Agreed about Ventura. I heard he’s going back to Walsh and help Kaczmar make another good run.

To be honest, it’s just nice to be thinking about Spring.
Old 01-14-18, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

John left Walsh to spend more quality family time with his young twins. I know he coached their T ball teams, and now has much more time to enjoy them as they grow up. His business at IVL has grown steadily, and unless he were to get a head coaching job, just don't see him moving back to coach high school baseball, especially as an assistant.
Old 01-14-18, 10:03 AM
All Ohio

Though an under achieving baseball program, Copley has at least 5 seniors, who have already committed to playing college baseball next Fall. So we aren't talking about some "marginal players who didn't want to put the work in". These kids achieved their success via the dreaded summer travel baseball system, and were largely aided by their individual travel organizations and coaches, who advocated for them during the recruitment process. The current high school coach couldn't even show last season, or this fall for the boy's National Signing Day. In fact, the coaches from their travel teams only attended to show their support, as they have done for the past few years, yet no high school coach could find the time to attended. The boy's goals of playing college baseball was achieved without much if any help from their local high school baseball coaches. In fact, I doubt if the coaches even know which college program each of these kids plan on attending in the fall. So, no, it doesn't surprise me if some decide not to play high school baseball.
Old 01-14-18, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

If someone that is actually going to play college ball is going to let a personality conflict stop him from throwing in with his classmates and representing the school together, I would double down on my assertion that they are only cheating themselves. They will never pass this way again.

Good luck with your big life, kids. I hope it all works out the way that you want, and that it pleases you. I really do.
Old 01-14-18, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

It's not a personality conflict which may keep certain kids away. It's simply a matter of a coach actually showing some interest in seeing some of his kids succeed at the next level. Sort of like a teacher not taking interest in their students goals, and performance. Kids perform better when they receive the support of their teachers, mentors, etc. It's no different with any coach. Just in this situation, the coaches showing support aren't from the high school, but from the travel programs. So easy to rip the various travel baseball organizations for their methods, yet who do most college recruiters contact when it comes time to evaluate a kid? Plus many high school baseball coaches are major contributors to various travel baseball organizations throughout the area. That is where relationships are formed and cultivated. And that's not fair to all high school baseball coaches. Many are very involved in their student athlete's future, be it academic or athletic success. They should be commended and praised. It's just not the case everywhere. High school baseball is slowly becoming more and more irrelevant. Although there are many quality high school baseball programs around, so many have become glorified rec programs, sprinkled with varying levels of talent. Kids who simply want to be part of the high school program are always going to part of this set up. Make lifetime friends, represent your school, enhance school pride, enjoy school rivalries. All great experiences in high school. But, not for every kid. They crave more competitive ball, thus they end up advancing thru travel baseball to college. High school baseball at Copley does absolutely nothing for those kids who are talented enough to play at the next level. Is it the coaches job to help those kids move forward? One would think they might take some interest, as they should with not only the exceptional student athlete, but also the student who just wants to enjoy the high school team experience. Quit blaming the "wining selfish" kids, and spread just a little of the blame for the lack of interest to a coach.
Old 01-14-18, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Interesting soliloquy there. I have no idea where in the world the motivation to type half of it could have possibly come from, but it certainly wasn't from anything in this thread that I've seen.
Old 01-14-18, 03:29 PM
Junior Varsity

rookiecard is on a distinguished road
How did this thread turn into another chew and spit out a high school coach slamfest?

Have any of you ever stop to consider that some high school coaches, if not most, work outside the school system with real jobs and cannot make college signing day at 2pm in the afternoon in the middle of the week?

For years on end I have seen in local newspapers, pictures with no coaches present for sports of all kinds. What does a coach not being in a pictures have to do with not supporting a kid? How about the hundreds of hours of practice and games that coach put in to get the kid to that point? That day is for mom and dad and the athlete. And I guarantee they understand the coach not being able to make it. It's not a deal breaker for the coaches relationship with the athlete. Hooray for the summer ball coach who made it, big deal. The only reason they do is to take all the credit they crave to give their organizations another pat on the back, a meme, selfie, or # tweet.

Let's stop driving the wedge into the divide between summer ball and high school coaching and which is better. There is not analytical, statistical or cyber world proof one is better than the other. Just let the kids play baseball and let them get the help from whatever source they can to help them move on to the next level..who cares where it came from.
Old 01-14-18, 09:56 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
^^^ bingo!!!!
Old 01-15-18, 07:21 PM
All Ohio

And Travel baseball coaches don't also work? Silly comparison. Maybe we have become jaded, because of the role a certain travel coach and organizational president, and oh yea, and also a high school baseball coach, who takes the time to be the one who always advocates, represents, and supports his high school and travel organization's kids and families. Yea, we have become spoiled. But, always thankful. So many kids just not so fortunate.
Old 01-16-18, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

So, Hitnrun, can you give us some examples of HS baseball coaches that are actively engaged in the college recruiting process ? Not guys like Aaron DeBord that also runs a summer program, but just regular HS coaches.

Give us your NEO Top 10 HS coaches for recruiting help.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-17-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 11:34 AM
All District

Beaver2000 is on a distinguished road
Facts don't lie. Only 7% of ALL HS baseball players will play at the NCAA level. (I will assume it is similar in NAIA and JUCO). So maybe 20% of all baseball players play at the college level. Most schools don't have a large percent of baseball players moving on, even Copley.

I don't think blaming a coach for getting his players to the "next level" as a reason that the coach is not a good coach.

Does anybody have the numbers of "Travel Ball" players that play at the college level. I would think it would be very similar to the percent of high school players.
Old 01-17-18, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

Don't give the little ball of hate an excuse not to respond, please.
Old 01-17-18, 01:45 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
As a former college baseball player, I believe it is on the student athlete to find the program that is right for him (Cost, Academics, Baseball). Coaches can help give the player a lead on where he would fit in the landscape of college baseball but if the player isn't interested in helping himself then why would a coach put his neck out for them. I was before the days of exposure tours and Showcases so I emailed every Assistant Coach I could find that had my program of study. Some I got no response others were on me like hawks. I know after they got to know me a little bit they called my coach and had discussion about me as a person and a player. Im sure he gave his honest opinion of me at the time.

Its not up to HS or Travel coaches to do your recruiting. They are not going to school you are!!!
Old 01-17-18, 01:54 PM
All District

I don’t know coach Fantozzi, or the issues surrounding his staying or leaving. I do think Copley has had a good program, so I’m wondering if it is just more of a case that he needs a little more time to adjust to the different role as a head coach.

Regarding players moving on to the next level, I think most coaches, high school as well as summer/travel, put in efforts to get their kids exposure. There are good and bad coaches in both entities.

The truth is that colleges go watch players during summer ball because they’re playing when the high school season is going on. That doesn’t make summer coaches better. I know Hoban’s old coach would forward his players summer schedules to college recruiters.
Old 01-17-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
These guys who have families and jobs outside of the school get paid very little to not only be the coach of the team but also to mow the field, rake the infield, teach the kids to overcome the bad techniques daddy taught them. fundraise to keep the program going, etc....... Now they're expected to be the recruiting/placement director?
Old 01-18-18, 02:04 PM
All District

Time and/or pay may be short, but I think most of these coaches want to help out wherever they can.

I don’t think it needs to be a requirement for the position, but I would favor hiring someone who’s willing to be a part of that phase of a high school kids process. That being said, the coach has to be honest about a kids level of play, not only with the player, but parents and recruiting coaches as well.
Old 01-18-18, 02:18 PM
Varsity

Baseball4Life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
Time and/or pay may be short, but I think most of these coaches want to help out wherever they can.

I donít think it needs to be a requirement for the position, but I would favor hiring someone whoís willing to be a part of that phase of a high school kids process. That being said, the coach has to be honest about a kids level of play, not only with the player, but parents and recruiting coaches as well.

I have never worked with a high school coach that wasnít willing to talk to a college coach about a player. Itís not the coaches job to go out and find programs for their players either. I have seen coaches not make it to signing day because of a work commitment. More often than not they are there for their players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk