Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-12-17, 09:57 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
2018 St. Xavier Football/Schedule

Anyone know if this is correct:

Cincinnati St. Xavier
08/24 A West Chester Lakota West
08/31 H Cincinnati Colerain
09/07 H Cincinnati Walnut Hills
09/14 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/21 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
09/28 A Cincinnati Elder
10/05 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/12 N Unknown Opponent ()
10/20 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/26 H St. Xavier (KY)
Old 12-13-17, 09:27 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
you doubt me?

someone PM'd me that X was full, so I guess it's not right. Also more Saturday games possible by time things finalized
Old 12-14-17, 08:17 AM
Varsity

BigFatz is on a distinguished road
Walnut Hills is away for '18, unless WH pays the exit fee and opts out of the game. I thought Reload once posted that week 1 was at Hinsdale? I have no info either way, but would rather drive to West Chester than Illinois.
Old 12-15-17, 07:37 PM
Freshman

Panthers99 is on a distinguished road
From what I know is that the Bombers do have a full 10 game schedule for next year.

Lakota West is week 1. Location TBA (rumor is it depends if PBS is available for a GMC GCL showdown with Colerain LaSalle as other game for a doubleheader)

Walnut Hills is at Walnut Hills (they tried to get out of contract but buy out too large from my understanding)

Week 8 is same Canadian Team as last year.
Old 12-19-17, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
With Specht officially staying as head coach for the 2018 season let's get the discussion on next season started.
Old 12-19-17, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatz View Post
Walnut Hills is away for '18, unless WH pays the exit fee and opts out of the game. I thought Reload once posted that week 1 was at Hinsdale? I have no info either way, but would rather drive to West Chester than Illinois.
The Hinsdale game was originally scheduled as a home and home and not part of the Crosstown Showdown. When Gamble convinced StX to make last season's game part of the Showdown it was moved to a neutral site (Princeton) and the return game to Hinsdale was cancelled.
Old 12-19-17, 11:11 PM
All Yappi

2018 Roster
QB: *Jared Kreimer, Wyatt Hudepohl, Matt Rueve, Liam Clifford, Joe Kirby, Andrew Britt, Gavin Vogelsang
RB: *Chris Payne, *Kellen Newman, Tucker Hundley, Jake Anding, Ben Bracken
WR: *Jared Kreimer, *Marshall Lang, Pat McIntyre, Nick Gerbus, Owen Smith, Luke Ireton, Jack Cook, Justin Wittrock, Will Dolle, Jalen Patterson, Elijah Jordan, Lucas Cates
OL: *Matt Mohn, *Jack Kirby, *Paris Johnson
DL: Garren Carter, Buzz Mastrobuono, Charles Eckert, Giovanni Albanese
LB: *Tom Kiessling, *Nate Arthur, Noah Taylor, Will MacDonald, Jack Kemper, Joe Schmidt, Logan VandeHatert, Brady Bacevich
DB: *Nathan Stockman, *Raja Bridges, *Trevor Potts, Adam Iorfida, Ryan Janka, Drew Klas, TJ O’Malley and Evan Nwankwo
CB: *B.J. Ferguson, Sam Kiessling

*varsity experience
Old 12-19-17, 11:30 PM
Varsity

llthayes19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
2018 Roster
QB: *Jared Kreimer, Wyatt Hudepohl, Matt Rueve, Liam Clifford, Joe Kirby, Andrew Britt, Gavin Vogelsang
WR: *Jared Kreimer, *Marshall Lang, Pat McIntyre, Nick Gerbus, Owen Smith, Luke Ireton, Jack Cook, Justin Wittrock, Will Dolle, Jalen Patterson, Elijah Jordan, Lucas Cates
LB: *Tom Kiessling, *Nate Arthur, Noah Taylor, Will MacDonald, Jack Kemper, Joe Schmidt, Logan VandeHatert, Brady Bacevich
DB: *Nathan Stockman, *Raja Bridges, *Trevor Potts, Adam Iorfida, Ryan Janka, Drew Klas, TJ O’Malley and Evan Nwankwo

*varsity experience
I see a few kids I coached when I was with the West Chester Outlaws. Kellen Newman, Jalen Patterson and E. Jordan. They was all great skill position guys for us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-17, 12:38 PM
All District

[QUOTE=ReLoad;6946350]2018 Roster

Based on what I saw last year attending all of the varsity games and the majority of the JV and Freshman games, here is my take

QB Kreimer and Hudepohl will duke it out for starting responsibilities Reuve and at least one of the freshman will probably take varsity reps. The best case scenario would be for Hudepohl to really develop into the starting role, which would allow Kreimer to stay at WR

OL Johnson, Mohn and Kirby return, who occupies the other 2 spots???

RB Payne and Newman will take the bulk of the carries next year, . Bracken and Anding will fight it out for the 3rd spot but may also be candidates to try a new position if they can contribute elsewhere. If Hundley returns somebody will move to defense, you cant have 2 athletes of this caliber sitting on the sideline watching the game. I think Hundley ends up on D at adjuster if he returns.

DL This is the biggest void that this team will have to fill, I think Kiessling will move to DE, but we still have to find a nose guard that can hold his ground and another DE, anybody know where we can find another Jefferson???

LB. Spot on, but I wouldn't be surprised to to see Kiessling move to DE and Bridges move to LB. Arthur, Taylor and McDonald can all play. We are deep here

WR//Slot/TE Lang, Gerbus, Mcintyre, Patterson and Dolle are the front runners to come in and compete for playing time next year. Stockman???

DB/Safety Potts, Bridges, Sockman all got signigicant playing time this year, we need a true adjuster, The missing Link: Tucker Hundley, will he return?

CB Ferguson will lock up one corner, several other juniors will compete for the other corner position (remember the 3 DBs that came down for the Moeller JV game). Dubois was the best corner on the freshman team, just needs to mature a little bodywise(grow) but has good speed and cover skills as well as a nose for the ball.

This is my .25 add 2 dollars and it might get you a cup of coffee

Last edited by 2020Dad; 12-20-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 05:37 PM
Varsity

I don't even have a quarter to add, but after watching the varsity and JV games the last couple of years I think kreimer is way ahead of Hudepoh. My guess is Steve wants his best athletes to have the ball and kreimer is the best athlete on the team. Hudepohl has great arm, but not near as athletic, lacked some accuracy and most important judgment on where and when to throw. When considering that and the leadership component difference as well, I'm guessing kreimer is QB. I expect more running next year which is what Steve prefers, running behind Johsnson, Kirby, Mohn with Payne Newman and Kreimer is a strong running attack.
Old 12-26-17, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Although he missed the freshman football season, from everything I hear, Liam Clifford should be in the QB discussion.
I know he’ll be a sophomore with zero high school experience but when coaches who aren’t known for hyperbole say he’s already as good as brother Sean makes you want camp to start tomorrow.

With 3 returning OLinemen and Payne and Newman a year bigger/stronger/quicker/faster the running game can only be improved.
Despite the graduation of record setting WRs (Wittrock and Specht) and QB (Wolf) the passing game can be potent if Hudepohl or Clifford (or another) emerge and allow Kreimer to continue to be one of the state’s best receivers.
There are plenty of additional talented receivers waiting for their shot and my eyes are on Lang, McIntyre and Patterson.

Defensively I like the idea of moving Kiessling down since there is talent and depth at the LB position.
Curious as to how Mastrobuono develops.
Someone had said he was getting D1 interest his freshman year at St. Ignatius prior to his transfer.
Bridges, Stockman, Ferguson and Potts all returning in the secondary makes it less of a question mark as it was last year this time.

Was Hundley the missing piece in the 2017 secondary?
It’s a tortuous question but let’s hope he puts the bat and glove down long enough in 2018 answers the bell and makes us ask what if
Old 12-30-17, 03:33 PM
All District

River_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Curious as to how Mastrobuono develops.
Someone had said he was getting D1 interest his freshman year at St. Ignatius prior to his transfer.

I don't think I ever used the word "interest". Just that he been talked to. Wisconsin showed him a lot of attention when he camped there the summer prior to his freshman year. A lot of individual attention and they put him up against some of the upper classmen (camp was split seniors and juniors from sophomores and Buzz who was the only incoming freshman) in one on one drills.
Since arriving at X he's been talked to by Oklahoma, Youngstown state and Western Michigan that I know of. All of it really means nothing without on field results.

I can tell you that adding roughly 75 pounds (he was up to 223 by the end of the season playing guard) over the past two years robbed him of a ton of athleticism. He was completely locked up from the hamstrings through the chest last season and it was glaringly obvious. The past month, 3 days a week with a trainer and they've focused more on stretching, hip drills and yoga type exercises than anything else.
So for how he will develop I'd say to expect him to return after the rugby season at a trim, far more athletic 210-215lbs at MLB. I don't see him as a fit anywhere else on the defense. It's a shame they don't use a fullback more regularly. That's the position he's best suited for.

As for players to look out for, incoming junior Hayden Bailey is a name to watch. He really started to play well towards the end of the JV season. I actually think he has more upside to him than Garren Carter who will also be very good.
Old 01-02-18, 01:13 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you experts got it all figured out....probably no reason to even have camp at this point.
Old 01-03-18, 09:15 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
Sounds like you experts got it all figured out....probably no reason to even have camp at this point.
Gotta have something to do to kill time over the next 8 months, plus its fun to look back in august to see who was actually right as we all know coach spechts develops his depth chart from what we post on Yappi. LOL
Old 01-18-18, 01:13 PM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
you doubt me?

someone PM'd me that X was full, so I guess it's not right. Also more Saturday games possible by time things finalized
Since when? Specht despises Saturday games and said he wants more Friday Night Lights. So I would say less if anything. However, don't know who takes week 8 since X is not headed to CANADA I guess. I thought they'd play Clarkson SS away this year. I don't know the laws but are we not allowed to leave the country per OHSAA?

Last edited by BlueBomber94; 01-22-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 09:32 PM
All Yappi

The QB position just got a bit more crowded with the recent enrollment of a transfer from Colorado who was a 2 year starter

QBs: Jared Kreimer, Wyatt Hudepohl, Matt Rueve, Liam Clifford, Joe Kirby, Andrew Britt, Will Dolle, Gavin Vogelsang and now a transfer from Colorado

The good news is that I am told he is an athlete that could make a position change if necessary such as Kreimer, Dolle and Vogelsang did last season (and Kreimer late in the state championship season)

IMO the only "strictly QBs" on the list are Wyatt Hudepohl and Liam Clifford.
Old 01-22-18, 12:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm guessing kreimer is QB. I expect more running next year which is what Steve prefers, running behind Johsnson, Kirby, Mohn with Payne Newman and Kreimer is a strong running attack.
Add a bruising 220lb Mastrobuono at FB and this could be reminiscent of the 2005 championship season offense (Option QB Scherer, FB Hobson and TB Ashley running behind Andrew Hauser, Wes Schroder, Howard Patton, Evan Wenker and Spencer Hill).
Old 01-22-18, 12:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Eagle View Post
So for how he will develop I'd say to expect him to return after the rugby season at a trim, far more athletic 210-215lbs at MLB. I don't see him as a fit anywhere else on the defense. It's a shame they don't use a fullback more regularly. That's the position he's best suited for.
Maybe 2018 is the year Specht brings back the fullback position after a 10 year hiatus.
He had a fullback his first 4 seasons as head coach with Jimmy Hobson (2004-2005) and Luca Romeo (2006-2007).
Those teams were averaging 200+ rushing yards per game….2004 (2,049), 2005 (3,385), 2006 (2,200) and 2007 (3,142).
*2005 and 2007 were 15 game seasons (state champs)
Old 01-22-18, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

xman01 is on a distinguished road
Mike Muldoon* not Spencer Hill.

Also, the likelihood of a rushing attack being reminiscent of having 2 all state tailbacks, the best TB in X history (Ashley)-backed up by former all state rb (Cionni), the best best running QB in x history (Scherer), and 2 all-state offensive linemen in Hauser and Schroeder is unlikely. But I like your enthusiasm.
Old 01-23-18, 12:33 PM
All World

Who St. X should try to fill their spot with is Campbell County, KY. They went to the playoffs last year in 6A and were plowed over by #8 Lou Trinity. However, CC is reloaded and their freshman class this year was unbelievably tough. The frosh record does not reflect their talent because their coach sucks. But JV and Varsity will be loaded again this year. It would be a good game and CC is a big school so they'd be close to level in division.
Old 01-23-18, 10:54 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati St. Xavier
08/24 A West Chester Lakota West
08/31 H Cincinnati Colerain
09/07 A Cincinnati Walnut Hills
09/14 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/21 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
09/28 A Cincinnati Elder
10/05 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/12 H Mississauga Football North Prep Academy (ON)
10/20 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/26 H St. Xavier (KY)
Old 01-26-18, 06:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman01 View Post
Mike Muldoon* not Spencer Hill.

Also, the likelihood of a rushing attack being reminiscent of having 2 all state tailbacks, the best TB in X history (Ashley)-backed up by former all state rb (Cionni), the best best running QB in x history (Scherer), and 2 all-state offensive linemen in Hauser and Schroeder is unlikely. But I like your enthusiasm.
I would say that Paris, Kirby, Payne and Kellen all have all-state potential.
Add An athletic QB and a good FB and they’ll run. As well as the aforementioned perhaps not. Good enough to win another title. Possibly
Old 01-26-18, 06:48 PM
All District

Quote:
Maybe 2018 is the year Specht brings back the fullback position after a 10 year hiatus.
He had a fullback his first 4 seasons as head coach with Jimmy Hobson (2004-2005) and Luca Romeo (2006-2007).
Those teams were averaging 200+ rushing yards per game….2004 (2,049), 2005 (3,385), 2006 (2,200) and 2007 (3,142).
*2005 and 2007 were 15 game seasons (state champs)
Generally I’ve found that when a coach has a good FB they’ll use them. Most teams just don’t have that 5’11 - 6’1 kid that can carry 220 - 240 lbs. run catch and block.
Old 03-05-18, 01:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Eagle View Post
Generally I’ve found that when a coach has a good FB they’ll use them. Most teams just don’t have that 5’11 - 6’1 kid that can carry 220 - 240 lbs. run catch and block.
Too bad St. X hasn't had a good HB/FB combo since 2007. The class of 2008 was something truly special.

Freshman, Blue 10-0, White 4-0 GCL Champs
Junior Var, 8-2 Co-GCL Champs, Varsity 15-0 State Champs
Varsity 10-2, GCL Champs
Varsity 15-0 State Champs

They are the only class to sweep the GCL title in all 4 years of their high school career.
Old 03-08-18, 12:24 PM
All Ohio

xman01 is on a distinguished road
The "Super Sophomores" (Ashley, Craig, Milligan, Schneider) finished with a record of 55-2. Only two losses being lakeland (#2 in the country in ot) and colerain junior year.

Will probably never see anything like that again.
Old 03-12-18, 01:12 PM
Varsity

Reload, heard Mastrobuono (sp?) transferred out? Also star Lakota West qb transferred to LaSalle? any truth to those, you always have good intel.
Old 03-12-18, 02:19 PM
All District

The Lakota West QB Horton did transfer to LaSalle, not sure about Buzz(Mastrobuono)
Old 03-13-18, 10:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Reload, heard Mastrobuono (sp?) transferred out? Also star Lakota West qb transferred to LaSalle? any truth to those, you always have good intel.
No idea on Mastrobuono - still hoping he will join Kiessling, Carter and Bailey on the DLine.
Pretty certain Hundley will play this year.
He could join Payne and Newman in the offensive backfield or join Ferguson, Bridges, Potts and Stockman in the defensive backfield
Specht sees the out of state transfer Drew Mayer (sp?) somewhere in the defensive backfield.
Maybe this allows Stockman to move back to wide receiver to join Lang, McIntyre and Kreimer (provided Hudepohl and/or Clifford emerge at QB)
I look for a pair of 6'4" sophomores Dolle and Patterson to compete for WR PT
Old 03-15-18, 02:27 PM
Freshman

Trapper John is on a distinguished road
No idea on Mastrobuono either, but he didn't impress at all last year so not too worried either way.
Hope Hundley plays but don't see him at RB - he can play other spots, while Payne and Newman can only play RB.
Dolle will be good eventually (maybe this year, but we'll see).
Hope Patterson plays JV - didn't impress too much last year so he'll need the reps - he has plenty of time.
Old 03-16-18, 04:22 PM
Junior Varsity

Casting Couch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
The Lakota West QB Horton did transfer to LaSalle, not sure about Buzz(Mastrobuono)
I heard lasalle may be getting another OL.