Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-30-17, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Have conference title games and CFP caused a decline in regular season discussion?

Not just on Yappi (though just a few years ago we did have active threads for UC, Notre Dame, OSU, conference vs conference, big games, etc.) but across social media/message boards. Is it that college football is losing popularity? Did the change in post-season format take the air out of the sails of the regular season?

It appears to me that without the limited spots of the BCS available instigating arguments over which conference is best, generating massive buzz over big match-ups, and the feeling of needing a near-perfect record to make the championship game, fans are not engaging in discussion much anymore. Can anything can be done to make the regular season more meaningful and interesting?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 01:50 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Good question. It's become a little like college basketball. The games at this point don't mean nearly as much.

Ohio State could lose all their out of conference games and still win the Big Ten. We have to wait until late November to decide if a loss early in the season really hurt that team or not.

I just don't see many interesting games anymore. In the past, you might have a rooting interest in seeing one of the top teams knocked off like Alabama, USC, Texas, or Notre Dame. Now it doesn't matter because a one loss SEC, Big 12, or PAC-12 team can still make the playoffs without much difficulty. Being perfect is not necessary anymore.

For example, the OSU loss to Oklahoma isn't the end of the championship run for the Buckeyes. If they win out, they are likely in the playoffs again.
Old 09-30-17, 05:31 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Maybe discussion will pick up as we get further into the league-play part of the season. I did expect to see a thread for Notre Dame football and even Youngstown State. To tell the truth, I don't know much about either team at this point in the season. It would be kind of cool to have threads for the MAC (or individual teams). Could be that life just gets too much in the way these days.

Personally, I have not received the printed newspaper for years now and don't keep up with sports on a daily basis like I used to. Since I don't know many details about teams, I don't feel qualified to say much about them - though that doesn't always stop me!
Old 09-30-17, 10:21 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
College football is different now. The haves are getting better and the have nots are getting worse. Wondering if any football offices will get raided by the FBI?
Old 10-03-17, 10:18 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
The regular season means less, but not by much. It was a good change, no doubt.
Old 10-03-17, 02:10 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Don't forget the impact of practically everyone getting to go to a bowl game these days. So, it's almost irrelevant how you do during the regular season. As long as you win 6 games, you're going bowling somewhere, even if it's just Detroit or Mobile.
Old 10-03-17, 02:54 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
There is still a pretty high week to week tournament feel in college football. I mean, if and when you lose your 2nd game, you're pretty much done from the playoff senario.

I'd like to see 129 D1 college football teams split into two groups. I don't know what a good number is, but maybe 50/ 69 or 40/79 something like that. You could swing the bottom 10 / 15 teams where you'd have to earn your way into the top level, everyone else would be in the 2nd unit. Both are still scholarship programs, same numbers, etc.

I just think from a competitive balance situation, let's peel away these bottom feeders from the 5 major conferences. The best teams play the best teams across the country. Yes you can regionalize schedules, but there is no need for the Ohio States and Alabamas to play the Rutgers and Vanderbilts of the world anymore. My biggest gripe with the Buckeyes is they play about 3 meaningful games a season. They've played one this season, Oklahoma, with Penn State and Michigan left. The rest are scrimmages against the also rans of the league.
Old 10-03-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
The only sad thing is that now all non-playoff bowl games are considered meaningless, and any season that doesn't result in a championship win or appearance is written off
Old 10-03-17, 06:45 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
There is still a pretty high week to week tournament feel in college football. I mean, if and when you lose your 2nd game, you're pretty much done from the playoff senario.

I'd like to see 129 D1 college football teams split into two groups. I don't know what a good number is, but maybe 50/ 69 or 40/79 something like that. You could swing the bottom 10 / 15 teams where you'd have to earn your way into the top level, everyone else would be in the 2nd unit. Both are still scholarship programs, same numbers, etc.

I just think from a competitive balance situation, let's peel away these bottom feeders from the 5 major conferences. The best teams play the best teams across the country. Yes you can regionalize schedules, but there is no need for the Ohio States and Alabamas to play the Rutgers and Vanderbilts of the world anymore. My biggest gripe with the Buckeyes is they play about 3 meaningful games a season. They've played one this season, Oklahoma, with Penn State and Michigan left. The rest are scrimmages against the also rans of the league.
I've thought about this as well. It seems the more like the NFL the FBS becomes in its post-season structure, the more it also needs to follow more closely the NFL's regular season structure. If a P5 conference champ is all but guaranteed a shot at the playoff, a regular season full of unbalanced match-ups is hardly interesting. It could be that the best way to improve the regular season would be to split the FBS into 2 or 3 tiers and institute more predictable, but stronger, scheduling. One way to do it might be a top tier of 8 divisions of 8 teams; 13-game regular season schedule: 7 inter-division games, 5 intra-division games, and 1 lower-tier game; and the winner of each division is guaranteed a spot in the playoff. The trickiest part of it would be developing a process for the movement of teams between tiers.
Old 10-03-17, 07:11 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
I can’t speak for yappi, but overall I don’t think so. Maybe I’m biased because I’ve always focused on college ball more than the nfl or any other sport.