Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-24-17, 01:28 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Regional sites worth their salt should start to take cues from Arcadia where they change direction of the 100m on the fly to enable the fastest possible times. Sure it's extra cameras, wiring, etc., but let's use every possible bit of technology to ensure our regional qualifies as many as possible, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-17, 08:44 AM
Junior Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
That is a good idea, but the regional sites that DIII NE goes to (several in the past 30 years) has not had the capability to do that. a couple sites, including Massillon Perry, does have the ability to change the jumping events to a favorable wind, and they should do that when possible. IMO
Old 09-26-17, 11:33 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
You never met me.

Team points mean little to me at the regional meet if I know I don't have a team that can contend for one of the top places in the team competition. My goal is to qualify kids as far along the tournament trail as possible. Years from now, they're not likely to remember or care if we placed 9th or 11th as a team at the regional, but they'll remember that trip to state for a long time if we're able to make that happen.

I do my homework. I know if my team is a contender in the team competition at each level of the tournament. I generally know at each invite where the kids I coach are likely to place.
100% how I roll and what I do with my kids.
Old 09-26-17, 02:32 PM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
I'll echo that.

Besides, the more kids you get to the state meet the more chance you have of scoring points at that meet: much more important in my opinion.
Old 09-29-17, 09:58 AM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
time performances are the easy way out. Total crap if you have a tailwind in the 100 or you race the mile in a sit and kick race. Someone is getting screwed. What they need to do is take the next two in each event that was closest to the 4th place time. THe only fair way to do it.
Not much to do about a tailwind in the 100, but as far as sit and kick distance races go, if a kid thinks he or she might get out based on time in a distance race, then they'd better not let the race develop into a sit and kick...individual runners can control that.
Old 09-30-17, 05:39 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
Unsure if I will tell any of my kids. I will continue to tell them that top 4 automatically qualify. Compete to the line and never give up.

If coaches are explaining this to the kids, do you expect them to understand the entire process? I don't think it is possible for high school kids to understand outside the body and personal EGO. Way too big of a concept for them. IMO they need to compete for the top 4 period.
Old 09-30-17, 07:46 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Unsure if I will tell any of my kids. I will continue to tell them that top 4 automatically qualify. Compete to the line and never give up.

If coaches are explaining this to the kids, do you expect them to understand the entire process? I don't think it is possible for high school kids to understand outside the body and personal EGO. Way too big of a concept for them. IMO they need to compete for the top 4 period.
My comment wasn't referring to the two additional spots, just how I coach my kids and prepare them.