Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-15-17, 04:57 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Meets with kids runs

It seems like I pound my head against the wall trying to get local schools that host meets to run kids 1 mile runs. Come on....CC takes the back seat to every sport when it comes to gettings young kids into it. Not one school in our county hosts a kids run. Jesus it doesn't have to be anything big. We run them at ours and they are free, not timed and every kid gets a medal. We let parents go with them also if they are young.

I am wanting to have a elementary running club but I need opportunities to compete. I am going to no meets next year that doesn't have a kids run. Please post what meets have them.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
The 1st 3 meets I attended had elementary school/biddy races. There won't be one at Boardman this weekend, but it looks like there will be at the 3 weekend invites I'll attend after this weekend. Entry fees ranged from free to $3. I'm in NEO.
Old 09-15-17, 06:04 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Make a road trip up to CVNP.
Old 09-15-17, 06:28 PM
Varsity

coach_k is on a distinguished road
I will second that psycho_dad...not just for the fun run. I would think every team in the state would want to run that meet...to become one with nature. And the people running the meet are friendly as well.
Old 09-15-17, 07:07 PM
Varsity

jakeburg is on a distinguished road
I want to find a meet with a coach's race.
Old 09-15-17, 07:31 PM
Varsity

KevinL is on a distinguished road
Black River has a kids fun run, next weekend 9/23.

http://www.baumspage.com/cc/blackriv...structions.pdf
Old 09-15-17, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeburg View Post
The Midwest All-Catholic meet has a 2-mile "all-comers" open race before the MS and HS races. Parents and coaches are encouraged to participate. I've embarrassed myself a few times in that race, but the kids seem to enjoy watching me do it.
Old 09-15-17, 09:13 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeburg View Post
The Eisenhart meet at Thomas Worthington has an all-comers meet prior to the Junior High races.
Old 09-16-17, 04:38 AM
All District

PatHelgerman is on a distinguished road
They are thankfully getting more common every year in central Ohio. This weekend Newark and Bishop Hartley will have kids races. Next weekend Lancaster has one. At my last job my kids mile got so big that I had to split it into boys and girls races. We never got the same traction with the all comers race though.
Old 09-17-17, 07:35 PM
Varsity

orangechik00 is on a distinguished road
West Liberty Salem has had a kids race for 20 years, yet you never come ccrunner609.
Old 09-18-17, 06:13 AM
Varsity

starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
The Medina Cross Country Festival (Saturday, October 7) holds an elementary race. The race begins at 1:45 p.m. For more information check out the information on baumspage.
Old 09-18-17, 07:53 AM
Freshman

Spartan1969 is on a distinguished road
3rd Annual Springfield Frola Frolic tomorrow, 9-19-17, at Waterworks park. I have ran a one mile fun run every year before we run the Middle school and High School races. Awards and everything. Even better, the entire meet is free. Our way at Springfield to give back to a sport that has done so much, and receives so little. Its also our senior night. The Mayor and ex principal, Mrs Frola, announce the seniors before the race. I can only get about six or seven teams on the line, but we do top ten awards in every race for boys and girls, trophy to the overall team champions, big blow up finish line from the National Guard, Ritchies runs the timers and the line, and pizza for everyone at the conclusion of the meet. This year is full, but if interested for next year, or you have a few little milers, let me know. I know Invitationals are expensive, this may fit some of our budgets, lol!
Old 09-18-17, 11:12 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
It seems like I pound my head against the wall trying to get local schools that host meets to run kids 1 mile runs. Come on....CC takes the back seat to every sport when it comes to gettings young kids into it. Not one school in our county hosts a kids run. Jesus it doesn't have to be anything big. We run them at ours and they are free, not timed and every kid gets a medal. We let parents go with them also if they are young.

I am wanting to have a elementary running club but I need opportunities to compete. I am going to no meets next year that doesn't have a kids run. Please post what meets have them.
I commend you for wanting to get a club started at the elementary level. One of the ways to grow the sport is to get started early and get kids interested at a young age.

The Olentangy Youth Athletic Association has a program in the summer for kids entering grades 3 through 6. There are training sessions and the kids run some races throughout the summer. More communities need something like this. Here are some details on the program.
Old 09-18-17, 11:38 AM
All World

^^^thanks, my goal is to be on par with recruiting that you lose out on because kids are playing soccer, football and other REC sports and you never get a fair shot at getting them involved
Old 09-18-17, 03:17 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:

About time you get over your fears of the Ohio Caverns and come back to West Liberty's "Max Evans Ohio Caverns" XC Invitational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechik00 View Post
West Liberty Salem has had a kids race for 20 years, yet you never come ccrunner609.
He still has nightmares from running at the Ohio Caverns during his HS years. (lol)
Old 09-18-17, 05:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
About time you get over your fears of the Ohio Caverns and come back to West Liberty's "Max Evans Ohio Caverns" XC Invitational.

He still has nightmares from running at the Ohio Caverns during his HS years. (lol)
I just loved the down hills!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-17, 09:26 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Sadly, I was coaching when 609 was in high school. Please don't do the math!
Old 09-20-17, 10:02 AM
All World

^^^^You sure about that? I am old.
Old 09-20-17, 03:56 PM
All World

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechik00 View Post
Sadly, I was coaching when 609 was in high school. Please don't do the math!
Dumb question - you weren't coaching at WLS back then, right? That was when our buddy Kevin C. was also competing for the Big Orange.

To add- this course obviously is not "track meets on grass" like is so common. Elementary kids would love that down hill!
Old 09-20-17, 04:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Dumb question - you weren't coaching at WLS back then, right? That was when our buddy Kevin C. was also competing for the Big Orange.

To add- this course obviously is not "track meets on grass" like is so common. Elementary kids would love that down hill!
yes Kevin was injured there one year because Reggie was happy about it. Still dont think he won. Kevin whipped me on the track.
Old 09-20-17, 08:01 PM
Varsity

Quote:
yes Kevin was injured there one year because Reggie was happy about it. Still dont think he won. Kevin whipped me on the track.
I started coaching in 1992 at WLS. I was 6 months pregnant! I'm probably older than you think. I always tried to make it home for the Ohio Caverns Invite, so maybe I saw you before I started coaching.
Old 09-21-17, 06:37 PM
All World

Quote:
WLS had separate division races at the Ohio Caverns back then. Mondo Tijerina, Columbus Grove (1988 state champ) won the Class A (D3) race, Kevin was second.
Old 09-21-17, 08:34 PM
All World

Quote:
WLS had separate division races at the Ohio Caverns back then. Mondo Tijerina, Columbus Grove (1988 state champ) won the Class A (D3) race, Kevin was second.
Yea. Our stud Stover could never get either of them
Old 09-23-17, 04:50 PM
All World

Thumbs up

Dear Parents and Students,

On Saturday September 30th the Miami County Cross Country Championships will take place at the Lowry Track Complex in West Milton. After the high school and junior high races the Milton Union Cross Country program will be sponsoring a elementary grade 1 mile race for all county students at 11:15am. Be present by 11:00. This race is free to enter. All participants will receive a medal. I would like to invite all to come and try a new sport. Please contact me with questions at meredithm@muschools.com

Michael Meredith
Head Cross Country Coach
Milton Union High School

Two thumbs up to the Milton fellas!
Old 09-23-17, 05:28 PM
Freshman

Moacmama is on a distinguished road
North Union's Invitational is next saturday the 30th and they have a kid run. I believe it is the first race of the day.