Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-14-17, 08:30 AM
All World

SOTT is on a distinguished road
Week Four Thread

The weekend is nearly upon us again.

Boardman Invite
Always draws a huge amount of teams and should give some perspective on how some of the NE Region teams compare at this point.

Cedarville Friendship
If both Lakota East and Middletown are there again this year it will be interesting to see the dynamics of Horter vs Smith and how significantly that gap has closed between the two from last year when Horter beat Smith by over 40 seconds.

Trinity Invite (Louisville, KY)
This meet has national implications and will also be a good gauge of where many of the top teams, both boys and girls, stand in the state of Ohio at this point in time. On the national scene for the girls side it will be interesting to see how Centerville and Carmel (IN) stack up against one another. Hilliard, Olentangy, Troy, Gahanna Lincoln, Thomas Worthington, Medina, St. X and Beavercreek are all listed as entered. The starting lists for each race have yet to be released so it remains to be seen if both boys and girls teams are there for many of those schools.

I am sure there are other great meets out there this weekend as well. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 08:54 AM
All American

Seek Up
I think I saw Lakota East on the entry list for Trinity.
Old 09-14-17, 08:58 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek Up View Post
I think I saw Lakota East on the entry list for Trinity.
You did. Here is the team list for Trinity.

SOTT mentioned the race between Smith & Horter at Cedarville. It doesn't look as if that is going to happen but Jha vs Horter at Trinity should be good.
Old 09-14-17, 09:12 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
You did. Here is the team list for Trinity.

SOTT mentioned the race between Smith & Horter at Cedarville. It doesn't look as if that is going to happen but Jha vs Horter at Trinity should be good.
Not if Horter's coach tells him to slow down so they can reduce their 1-7 split.
Old 09-14-17, 09:34 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Not if Horter's coach tells him to slow down so they can reduce their 1-7 split.
Back to that.....this isn't the East team that was 5th at State during Horter's freshman year. It doesn't even appear to be the team that qualified to State last year. You're right, he could do that but it looks like with the team that he has now, and running against top runners like Matt Scrape, Arjun Jha, Conant Smith, or others, there is no way he could come back to win and the benefit to the team would be negligible. (I'm not sure if you're suggesting that he should or if you think the idea is silly).

I don't think that the idea of having a top runner slow down to help a team is that outrageous. I do, though, believe that a runner needs to be on the right team for it to be beneficial. It was clear that some of the comments in the thread where this was discussed ad nauseam were directed at Horter and his coach. In his case though, and with his current team, I don't see the point. I do question how fast he has been running this season. Running sub-15 in August seems crazy to me. Other top runners around the state, Scrape, Conant Smith, Chad Johnson, Arjun Jha, and others, also seem that they're running faster at this point in the season compared to last year. I just don't see how Horter can continue to pound out the pace he has been without getting injured or peaking at the wrong time.
Old 09-14-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post

Boardman Invite
Always draws a huge amount of teams and should give some perspective on how some of the NE Region teams compare at this point.

Cedarville Friendship
If both Lakota East and Middletown are there again this year it will be interesting to see the dynamics of Horter vs Smith and how significantly that gap has closed between the two from last year when Horter beat Smith by over 40 seconds.

This meet has national implications and will also be a good gauge of where many of the top teams, both boys and girls, stand in the state of Ohio at this point in time. On the national scene for the girls side it will be interesting to see how Centerville and Carmel (IN) stack up against one another. Hilliard, Olentangy, Troy, Gahanna Lincoln, Thomas Worthington, Medina, St. X and Beavercreek are all listed as entered. The starting lists for each race have yet to be released so it remains to be seen if both boys and girls teams are there for many of those schools.

I am sure there are other great meets out there this weekend as well. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.
Indeed there are.

Galion draws a crowd from north central Ohio. A few schools from NEO will also go west that day instead of east to Boardman.

Those wanting to stay a little more under the radar in NEO might opt for VASJ's McDonough Invitational. Admittedly, I don't know much about that course aside from there being a few hills.
Old 09-14-17, 10:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Indeed there are.

Galion draws a crowd from north central Ohio. A few schools from NEO will also go west that day instead of east to Boardman.

Those wanting to stay a little more under the radar in NEO might opt for VASJ's McDonough Invitational. Admittedly, I don't know much about that course aside from there being a few hills.
Galion definitely offers a good look at many of those central teams.

We attended VASJ's meet once and it wasn't bad. It has, or at least had, one incredibly steep hill. It was kind of cool, actually, and could easily break the spirit of some runners!
Old 09-14-17, 10:35 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Mr. Slippery In, 1970 I had the pleasure of running that Meet when it was still called the St. Joseph Relays. The meet organizers had the wisdom of started the day ace at the bottom of the hill. Then, we had to navigate it again with less a 440 to go. That was the first and the last time that was attempted.
Old 09-14-17, 06:42 PM
All District

starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
When I was in high school i 1967, 68, and 69 we ran The Cleveland St. Joe Invitational at Forest Hills Park. It was a great meet. We ran only two miles then, but it was a tough course due to the long steep hill. After the meet was over, our coach always had us run ten hills faster than race pace. Running those hills was a team tradition for us at Tiffin Columbian. Looking back on those days bring a smile to my face.
Old 09-14-17, 06:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcatcher8 View Post
When I was in high school i 1967, 68, and 69 we ran The Cleveland St. Joe Invitational at Forest Hills Park. It was a great meet. We ran only two miles then, but it was a tough course due to the long steep hill. After the meet was over, our coach always had us run ten hills faster than race pace. Running those hills was a team tradition for us at Tiffin Columbian. Looking back on those days bring a smile to my face.
Man, you're old.
Old 09-14-17, 07:05 PM
All American

I, ran it in 69 we may have crossed paths. You in the front and a skinny sophomore in the back...
Old 09-15-17, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTT View Post

Boardman Invite

Cedarville Friendship

The other BIG meet in the midwest is the MSU Spartan Invite.

In my mind the big players run at Trinity or MSU every year. It is a good indication on how Ohio fairs on the national scene individually and team wise.

Today (MSU) and tomorrow in Louisville should be the first stepping stones for many teams like Centerville and individuals like Horter.
Old 09-17-17, 02:34 PM
All District

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Rocky River boys gets my vote for the #1 D2 team this week.
Yes, yes the fifth guy is gapped, but that is common in D2, and the few teams with better 5ths, don't come close to them in the front
Old 09-17-17, 04:32 PM
All American

I, would agree with you bill Carson about Rocky River, they are just faster in the front three then the other top D2 teams right now. We have raced NDCL several times this year and they usually have the tightest 1 thru 4 gap in the field. Woodridge you know will improve a lot by the regional Meet and in Columbus. But, RR right now looks to be a little faster and will also improve a lot when their 2-3 runner gets a few more workouts under his belt. Their maturity is also a big factor.
Old 09-17-17, 07:42 PM
Varsity

Eye89 is on a distinguished road
Boys D3: Gilmour Academy had a nice showing. Had been unranked too. No longer going to be able to go "stealth" . . . were they that far off the radar that pollsters weren't aware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-17, 07:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye89 View Post
Boys D3: Gilmour Academy had a nice showing. Had been unranked too. No longer going to be able to go "stealth" . . . were they that far off the radar that pollsters weren't aware?

At Boardman. Failed to mention that. My apologies.

Old 09-18-17, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye89 View Post

Not really. I looked at Gilmour's previous meet results. Their 4th and 5th runners ran great races at Boardman. They already had a strong front 3, but their 4th and 5th hadn't broken 19:00 until Boardman. Hard to get much recognition when you're carrying 2 runners over 19:00 in the top 5. The Lancers probably will receive some votes this week.
Old 09-18-17, 03:58 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Not really. I looked at Gilmour's previous meet results. Their 4th and 5th runners ran great races at Boardman. They already had a strong front 3, but their 4th and 5th hadn't broken 19:00 until Boardman. Hard to get much recognition when you're carrying 2 runners over 19:00 in the top 5. The Lancers probably will receive some votes this week.

Quite impressive for the 4-man to dip clear down to 18:19 for the first time breaking 19. Must be one of those moments you dream for when a kid figures out how to run the race!

Old 09-20-17, 11:15 AM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Running sub-15 in August seems crazy to me. Other top runners around the state, Scrape, Conant Smith, Chad Johnson, Arjun Jha, and others, also seem that they're running faster at this point in the season compared to last year. I just don't see how Horter can continue to pound out the pace he has been without getting injured or peaking at the wrong time.
It is eye-popping to see such great times from Horter so early on (some of that, and for others too, is that the weather in those early meets was really ideal, so hopefully it's not as crazy as it seems). I have heard through the grapevine that he is being rested this coming Saturday, so it appears (if true) they are attempting to keep him from getting injured or peaked at the wrong time. Hopefully everyone will stay healthy through the season so that we get a very competitive state D1 meet. Should be a good one.
Old 09-20-17, 12:26 PM
All American

The kid that ran the 18:19, had a great summer of base building. He then broke his wrist and I believe that was his second race of the season. The fifth guy is in his first year of XC he is a sprinter.(his Track coach told him XC was a great character builder) ...they both have a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 09-21-17 at 06:37 AM..
Old 09-21-17, 04:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
The kid that ran the 18:19, had a great summer of base building. He then broke his wrist and I believe that was his second race of the season. The fifth guy is in his first year of XC he is a sprinter.(his Track told him XC was a great character builder) ...they both have a lot of room for improvement.

Super. Great lesson of working hard and reaping the benefits.