Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 08:13 PM
Junior Varsity

OVTC is on a distinguished road
Hey how about some crazy ideas

there were many people that felt that the VOA course is disappointing in that you cannot see the runners. How about platforms and stands that could be moved around the course.
VOA could also benefit from having grandstands and scoreboards lining the chute. A big screen could also be utilized for live racing. Mason uses cameras strategically placed around the course to give up close action and possibly drones to add to the mix, as well as an app that would allow live updates.
Finally benches after the finish line allowed the runners a much needed as well as a much needed opportunity to kibitz about the race.

Perhaps West Cester could contribute as well as some other clubs that regularly use the park and would benefit from having platforms such as the bird watching club and the annual tri-athalon.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-17, 08:37 PM
All District

XCFan98 is on a distinguished road
I would settle for just one more cut through. Maybe 2. That would change VOA a great deal. Still very bland, but at least you could see them some.

Now fans see them leave, see them go by at 1.5 miles and then finish. The rest of the race they are gone in the tall grass, Like Seve Ballesteros in the heather at the British Open.

http://e0.365dm.com/17/06/16-9/20/sk...20170628144436
Old 09-14-17, 09:17 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I like OVTC's & XCFan's ideas. There is a problem with the use of drones, though. VOA is actually no longer a West Chester Park. It has been a part of the MetroParks of Buter County for some time now. The rules of MPoBC forbade the use of drones in the park without consent. Even if consent were to be granted, drones are not permitted at OHSAA tournaments in any sport. At individual events and meets, schools are allowed to use drones at their discretion.

XCFan mentioned another cut through and that might not be a bad idea but the course is actually more spectator friendly than some and definitely more spectator friendly than what was stated. There are already a few cut throughs. The runners can be seen at the start, around the 3/4 mile spot, at the 1.5 mile spot, back over to the spot where they were seen at the 3/4 spot and then back again at the previous 1.5 spot or a little closer to just before 3 miles. If spectators would rather, they can scoot over to the finish line instead of seeing them go by the spot just prior to 3 miles. If planned right, runners can be seen 5 times along the course.

Before the improvements and fields were put in at the park, when the start and finish were closer to Tylersville Rd and West Chester ran the park, it was actually a little more difficult to spectate. In general, though, I do agree that some things could be done to allow spectators to see more of the race. I've thought about the large field that is west of the course being utilized but that is where the parking is. Alternative parking could be possible in the front field near the sledding hill. The tall shrub grass will never be taken down because the area is an important bird habitat.
Old 09-14-17, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a lot of work.
Old 09-14-17, 09:42 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Sounds like a lot of work.
If you're talking about the work of moving around the course to see the runners, it really isn't. After the start there is maybe about a 100 yard walk to the spot that is around ~ 3/4 mile, another walk of about the same distance between the other spots. The longest walk/jog is to get back to the finish line.

I read agin what OVTC said about cameras and drones. Although the OHSAA does not allow drones, is there any rule that wouldn't allow stationary cameras to be used at a state tournament?

Last edited by Rohbino; 09-14-17 at 09:54 AM..
Old 09-14-17, 10:18 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
VOA is not spectator-friendly, despite the cut-throughs. They are not wide enough to permit a lot of traffic. There is almost nowhere you can stand alongside the path the runners take, as it is just not wide enough. It is good for the OHSAA, as access to the site is easily controlled (allowing for admission charge). Someday the drone rules will be relaxed or figured out.
Last October the American Athletic Conference, whose college teams include Connecticut, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and others, held their league XC meet at VOA, and they had a drone up and streaming live coverage of the race, as well as stationary cameras. It can be done. It will take time for rules changes and economic considerations to be figured out. I hope it happens soon if OHSAA insists on continuing to use that course.
Old 09-14-17, 11:03 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Here is a crazy idea. Make it all about the runners. Interesting tough courses. As a spectator, I expect to put some work in to see a CC race. It's the nature of the sport. I don't want to see coverage by drones or cameras. I want to yell and scream and point and tell runners they need to go get 3. I want to have to try and count runners from other teams and try and do calculations in my head. I'll do some bush waking and run through a creek and stand in some weeds and trees. I'm outdoors watching a sport that is not meant to be in a confined area with stands. I expect to go home with some mud on my back and hands that are cold. I also like waiting until the protest period is over to get final results. I do not need to know what happened at the mile mark or the two mile mark if I'm at the race. Stats are ok after the race, but during, I want to enjoy the race and the anticipation of what the results are. I want to see the runners go out of site only to return into view a minute or so later with no idea what went on or what place my runners will be in. You know, I want Cross Country to be Cross Country.
Old 09-14-17, 12:54 PM
All District

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Amen to that. Stands are for track!
Old 09-15-17, 11:29 AM
All American

yj_runfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Here is a crazy idea. Make it all about the runners. Interesting tough courses. As a spectator, I expect to put some work in to see a CC race. It's the nature of the sport. I don't want to see coverage by drones or cameras. I want to yell and scream and point and tell runners they need to go get 3. I want to have to try and count runners from other teams and try and do calculations in my head. I'll do some bush waking and run through a creek and stand in some weeds and trees. I'm outdoors watching a sport that is not meant to be in a confined area with stands. I expect to go home with some mud on my back and hands that are cold. I also like waiting until the protest period is over to get final results. I do not need to know what happened at the mile mark or the two mile mark if I'm at the race. Stats are ok after the race, but during, I want to enjoy the race and the anticipation of what the results are. I want to see the runners go out of site only to return into view a minute or so later with no idea what went on or what place my runners will be in. You know, I want Cross Country to be Cross Country.
You used to defend Scioto Downs because you could wheel Granny and Gramps into the huge stands and they could see the runners a couple of times. I loved running a course to see the race and hated how Scioto restricted the movement of spectators. This is why some of us dislike the VOA course.

Last edited by yj_runfan; 09-15-17 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-15-17, 06:01 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
You used to defend Scioto Downs because you could wheel Granny and Gramps into the huge stands and they could see the runners a couple of times. I loved running a course to see the race and hated how Scioto restricted the movement of spectators. This is why some of us dislike the VOA course.
At SD there may have been 600 meters I could not see. Far more I can't see at the new state course. Also, I'm not against having stands for people, if they make sense. The course should be runner friendly / tough before the fans are considered. Fans should be considered though, but we should expect to do some work.
Old 09-15-17, 10:27 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
At SD there may have been 600 meters I could not see. Far more I can't see at the new state course. Also, I'm not against having stands for people, if they make sense. The course should be runner friendly / tough before the fans are considered. Fans should be considered though, but we should expect to do some work.
Sounds like you might be a fan of the Firestone Metro Park cross country course then. The start and the finish are in the field with the pavilion. But that's about it. To catch the runners otherwise, you could hurry down to the bridge that's due west of the pavilion where you could get a glimpse of the race 1200m in, and catch them again with 1200 meters to go. Or hurry over to the area by the big sled riding hill, where you could catch them around the half way mark. You probably cant do both though. Or you could go down along the iron channel and catch them at the stone bridge, about 2000 meters in. either way, you catch a glimpse of the race a max of 2 or 3 times not including the start and finish. You just have to make sure you ready to run...if you dally too long you'll miss them.

Or heres a crazy idea. lets reclaim the reall cross country, and have them race 5 kilometers of the buckeye trail.