Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-17-15, 10:50 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
10 Biggest High School Football Stadiums in Georgia

I got this from a friend of mine in Atlanta.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/10-bi...diums-georgia/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-16, 10:11 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Those stadiums look weak I am glad Ohio's stadiums are so much better
Old 02-28-16, 03:02 PM
Junior Varsity

CoachD31 is on a distinguished road
Not bad
Old 03-14-16, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

DOWNTOWN PANTHER is on a distinguished road
I am partial to Ohio obviously, but I love my Georgia!
Old 03-15-16, 11:03 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
I've been through Georgia extensively (been to every Georgia county) and seen some very run down stadiums in the south. But, they do have some historical charm to them and the communities they're in.
Old 07-20-16, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Those stadiums look weak I am glad Ohio's stadiums are so much better
To be honest . . . these are all 2nd rate compared to Texas high school stadiums. No other state is even close to Texas.

Here a a few. Honestly, I could show dozens more.

Allen Eagle Stadium (serves 6,400 student Allen HS)

Berry Center (serves 6 high schools in Cypress, Texas)

Southlake Carroll Dragon Stadium (My home stadium)

McKinney Stadium ($61 million recently approved by voters)

Grande Communications Stadium (West Texas)

New $61 million stadium in Katy (Being built next to current stadium. Two stadiums serve 7 high schools.)
Old 07-20-16, 12:00 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Who was that Texas school that wasted like $50 million on a stadium and couldn't even get the foundation right? Who throws $50 million and can't even hire a company to get the most basic part of the stadium down?
Old 07-20-16, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Underwood View Post
Who was that Texas school that wasted like $50 million on a stadium and couldn't even get the foundation right? Who throws $50 million and can't even hire a company to get the most basic part of the stadium down?
Your statement is bit clueless IMHO.

The stadium that you refer to is Allen Eagle Stadium (the first picture that I posted). It is the finest HS stadium in the world. It cost $60+ million to build 5 years ago. Both the architect and the contractor had built many other stadiums. There was an issue with concrete cracking in some parts of the stadium. It has been completely fixed and the cost was covered 100% by the architect and contractor with no cost to the school.
Old 07-20-16, 02:44 PM
Cooling Off

No, it's not a bit clueless. They spent $62 million+ (much more than my memory of $50m) and couldn't even hire a competent guy. People's lives were at stake.
Old 07-20-16, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
No, it's not a bit clueless. They spent $62 million+ (much more than my memory of $50m) and couldn't even hire a competent guy. People's lives were at stake.
Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about. PBK is a very large architectural firm that designed the stadium. They have designed hundreds of facilities including stadiums, arenas, schools, etc.

The Allen stadium is incredible. It is used by one high school. It's a palace. Here are more pictures.

http://www.pbk.com/#!/projects/allen-eagle-stadium/
Old 07-20-16, 05:21 PM
Cooling Off

So they didn't have to close down the stadium?
Old 07-29-16, 11:44 PM
All World

Only for the one year when repairs were made. The problem wasn't the design or the construction. It was the quality of the concrete used wasn't what was needed for such a job. It cured in a way to form sizable cracks that weren't deemed safe.
Old 08-01-16, 08:59 AM
Cooling Off

Great, glad we cleared that up and there was in fact a stadium built for $62+ million, was a risk to people's lives and health and had to be shut down.
Old 08-20-16, 04:17 PM
All District

texasbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCDad View Post
Your statement is bit clueless IMHO.

The stadium that you refer to is Allen Eagle Stadium (the first picture that I posted). It is the finest HS stadium in the world. It cost $60+ million to build 5 years ago. Both the architect and the contractor had built many other stadiums. There was an issue with concrete cracking in some parts of the stadium. It has been completely fixed and the cost was covered 100% by the architect and contractor with no cost to the school.
Tell 'em SLCDad
Old 08-21-16, 12:31 PM
Cooling Off

Now it's going to cost a total of $70 million, an additional $10 million in construction to fix mistakes. Sounds like a huge success.
Old 08-22-16, 05:33 PM
All World

pied
Here's a secret that many Texans don't want to get out. Yes, there are some beautiful stadiums in the state. I think it is getting extraordinarily silly at this point and there's a lot of discussion around this, but one thing is that I'd say ~50% of the 6A stadiums are less than 50% full. Certainly there are some big crowds at SLC/Allen and many others, but getting tickets and finding seats at the vast majority of games is quite easy.
Old 08-22-16, 07:56 PM
All District

texasbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied View Post
Here's a secret that many Texans don't want to get out. Yes, there are some beautiful stadiums in the state. I think it is getting extraordinarily silly at this point and there's a lot of discussion around this, but one thing is that I'd say ~50% of the 6A stadiums are less than 50% full. Certainly there are some big crowds at SLC/Allen and many others, but getting tickets and finding seats at the vast majority of games is quite easy.
I don't disagree with some of your points but I can only speak to my school district. Seven teams, one stadium, stadium capacity 9800. There usually 2 sellouts during the regular season. One school brings 5000 fans to every regular season game. It is the oldest school in the district. The newest school, this will be there second season, has the smallest crowds. The other 5 schools very from about 2000 to 3000 fans at a game so that means the stadium is on average 60 to 90% full.

As for the big cost of Texas Stadiums. I would have to write a book to explain the way Texas schools are financed. One thing I tell you is stadiums are paid for by with property taxes collected with in the district and bond elections are held and voted on by the tax payers in the district. Bonds are used to build schools and if needed stadiums. Texas is growing and new schools open every year all over the state.

Something else different about Texas Athletics, if you are in a sport, it is a class during your day. All coaches are required to be certified teachers and most teach some academic classes and coach their sport.

There is a book by Grey Levi called "Big and Bright in Texas". He was a coach for 25 years and spent a football season in Texas with a different team each week. (All sizes) He writes about the differences between Texas and most others states. I learned a lot from his book. I recommend it for anyone who likes football.

Texas High School football plays by slightly modified NCAA rules. Most states don't do this.

That is enough to chew on for now.
Old 08-22-16, 08:23 PM
Cooling Off

9800 seats for 7 schools and only 2 sellouts in the regular season? Jesus I thought Texas was something special with high school football. Between that and pied's post, sounds like it's a massive downgrade (with 10x the cost).
Old 08-22-16, 08:26 PM
All District

texasbob
Quote:
9800 seats for 7 schools and only 2 sellouts in the regular season? Jesus I thought Texas was something special with high school football. Between that and pied's post, sounds like it's a massive downgrade (with 10x the cost).
...and those who can't get into those two sellouts are first in line to vote for a bigger stadium.
Old 08-22-16, 08:39 PM
All District

texasbob
The average Texas High School football stadium holds 3500 fans.

Only 9 Texas High School football stadiums hold more than 16,500.

There are 1101 Texas High School football stadiums.

So .817% of all Texas High School football stadium have more than 16,500.
Old 08-22-16, 08:48 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbob View Post
...and those who can't get into those two sellouts are first in line to vote for a bigger stadium.
Why are you confused? That's how it is with anything. Can't get something? Demand more. It's economics, supply and demand.
Old 08-22-16, 10:48 PM
All District

texasbob
"From the outside it is hard to understand and from the inside it is hard to explain."
Old 08-23-16, 07:41 AM
Cooling Off

So you don't know what you're saying, it's okay. Texas Football just isn't as cracked up as it's made to be.
Old 08-23-16, 08:06 AM
All World

pied
I think everything is exaggerated a bit by people here in Texas and the story just kind of grows from there. ZTHere are a TON of places that are still "last one out of town shut out the lights" type places for road games. There are places like Southlake, Argyle, and several others that bring great home crowds every game for sure and those are the ones you hear of.

High school stadium funding is as described above, but in my experience almost always attached to some other items, like new schools/libraries/needed updates/etc. Had dinner with a School Administrator the other night. Certainly he is a bit more on the "build" discussion than I tend to be, but we talked about how the Allen facility has a wrestling gym/workout area underground. They are the seven time defending state champion? Needed? hard to say, but certainly used.

Here's another example in the town/s where I live. There was one school, Lewisville for years with a nice, not super stadium on campus for years. Guessing ~9500 seats and great crowds. Another school was built in ~88 (Flower Mound Marcus) and they shared the stadium. At the height of the rivalry when both teams were tops in the state they had to move the game to Texas Stadium or a local University. The arrangement worked great, they just alternated home games and each team got to use it ~50% of the time.

Marcus had a smaller stadium, one sided ~ 2500 or so I'd guess that they used for JV games, soccer, and track.

Towards the end of the 90's a third HS (Flower Mound HS)was built in the area and a stadium, almost identical to the one at Lewisville. All schools are less than 4.5 miles apart. They could have moved Marcus to play home games at the new school, but instead they had a bond election and built a third stadium.

I've had the opportunity to drive by all three stadiums on a Friday night and all were empty as the teams were playing on the road. I'm sure it's happened but I've never seen all three stadiums in use the same night. I'm sure there was a case to be made, and the voters approved it, but looking from the outside it seems like it would be a big waste of money.
Old 08-23-16, 09:36 AM
All District

texasbob
Quote:
So you don't know what you're saying, it's okay. Texas Football just isn't as cracked up as it's made to be.
What is it made to be? It is what it is. Estimated attendance in a season to Texas public school varsity games including play offs?
10.9 million (2014 numbers)
Old 08-23-16, 09:52 AM
All World

That's part of the issue. It happens in Ohio or Pennsylvania just as easily. Just on a smaller scale. But, it's still as redundant. Schools want their own and don't want to share.
Old 08-23-16, 10:01 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbob View Post
What is it made to be? It is what it is. Estimated attendance in a season to Texas public school varsity games including play offs?
10.9 million (2014 numbers)
What's the point of playing dumb here?
Old 08-23-16, 10:13 AM
All World

pied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
That's part of the issue. It happens in Ohio or Pennsylvania just as easily. Just on a smaller scale. But, it's still as redundant. Schools want their own and don't want to share.
Yep. Another anecdote about the same district, one of the schools was having some renovations completed and I looked into it. Appears in addition to refurbishing and expanding their auditorium(which are also very nice) they were getting a "black-box theater". I asked someone on the administration why and they said another high school in the district had one. whatever
Old 08-23-16, 10:16 AM
All World

pied
Want to clarify my point and thoughts. I think Texas HS football following is great and would put it up against any place in the nation. You can find plenty of big and small schools with GREAT followings, atmospheres, and crowds. The only point is that it is not EVERY school or town. As pointed out above b TexasBob, sometimes the crowds vary greatly between schools in the same city/district.
Old 08-23-16, 10:27 AM
All District

texasbob
Quote:
What's the point of playing dumb here?
I should have explained my point. Who has the best HS football, best stadiums and the best fan base? That is very subjective and hard to analyse.

A point I think we could agree on is Texas more schools playing football on more nights in front of more fans than any other state. Texas also has more poor stadiums more apathetic fans and bad football teams than any other state. We also have some of the best in all those categories. You can honestly say bigger is not better.

Ohio has a great fan base, better than most.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: