Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-15, 01:55 PM
Freshman

Montgomerycounty1991 is on a distinguished road
Ohio vs Texas Challenge would be Good!!

I believe Texas is up on Ohio 3-1 since 2005,
the only good team Ohio had to offer against any Texas team would be Colerain when they beat Robert Tyler Lee back in 2005 in Ohio.
Any takes on this thread
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-15, 05:03 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Not a fan.

They are HS sports. If you cannot hop into the car and drive some sort of reasonable amount to an event for HS then it doesnt need to be on the schedule.
Old 02-23-15, 09:53 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
The Herbie did this, including a few series where it was held at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. Fizzled out because, in the end, fans will pay about the same money for a few good local games than care about some far off team coming up. Only exception is if ESPN ponies up the dough.
Old 02-24-15, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
These things are always better on paper and on internet chats and boards. Reality is, not many people will travel for such a game. If a Texas power came in and played an Ohio power and it was the same time as your high school was playing, you most likely would not go. If it is on TV on a different day/time you would watch if you are a fan of high school football. How many people coming from Texas for it? Would you fly to Texas to see St. Edward or Mentor or Moeller play?
Old 02-26-15, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomerycounty1991 View Post
the only good team Ohio had to offer against any Texas team would be Colerain when they beat Robert Tyler Lee back in 2005 in Ohio.
Any takes on this thread
That Tyler Lee team wasn't very good. They finished 4-6 that year. Hats off to Colerain for not running up the score.

A better Ohio vs. Texas match-up in 2005 would have been Colerain vs. Southlake Carroll. Carroll was offered the match-up before Tyler Lee but the coach declined the offer.

By the way, De La Salle (Concord, CA) is coming to Texas this next season to play Euless Trinity the first game of the season. Not sure why De La Salle travels so far every couple of years.
Old 02-27-15, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCDad View Post
That Tyler Lee team wasn't very good. They finished 4-6 that year. Hats off to Colerain for not running up the score.

A better Ohio vs. Texas match-up in 2005 would have been Colerain vs. Southlake Carroll. Carroll was offered the match-up before Tyler Lee but the coach declined the offer.

By the way, De La Salle (Concord, CA) is coming to Texas this next season to play Euless Trinity the first game of the season. Not sure why De La Salle travels so far every couple of years.
Ohio returned the favor by sending a sub-.500 Trotwood-Madison team down to Texas for a game.

The reality is that the top teams from these two states have never really met, and I agree with philosophy of high school football being better when it's local teams.
Old 04-02-15, 02:21 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
One problem with high school football is the schedules are made out most times years ahead. Home and home etc. by the time games can be put in the schedule teams can go up or down hill in quality.
Old 04-03-15, 08:20 AM
All American

sehs
Another to remember is that these teenagers are not used to preparing for a long road trip game in Ohio. You can travel 4 hours and be at whatever end of the state you need to be. Longer trips take a special group to remain focused and ready. When St. Ed's played Don Bosco Prep in 2011 I heard it was a nightmare of a trip. Long times in the bus plus inadequate meals and such. It all added up to them not being prepared for the game and getting their butts whipped 37-7. Now let's say Bosco was an Ohio team, I don't think the score is as bad.
Old 04-09-15, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Another to remember is that these teenagers are not used to preparing for a long road trip game in Ohio. You can travel 4 hours and be at whatever end of the state you need to be. Longer trips take a special group to remain focused and ready. When St. Ed's played Don Bosco Prep in 2011 I heard it was a nightmare of a trip. Long times in the bus plus inadequate meals and such. It all added up to them not being prepared for the game and getting their butts whipped 37-7. Now let's say Bosco was an Ohio team, I don't think the score is as bad.
In Texas, during the regular season most teams don't travel all that much. Teams may have 1 or 2 geams each season that are 2+/- hours away but the rest of the games are close by.

West Texas is the exception. West Texas teams have to travel 2-4 hours for many district (conference) games. Those schools and fans are road warriors. (These are the same schools featured in the movie Friday Night Lights: Odessa Permian, Midland Lee, Abilene, Permiam, Midland, etc.) Preseason and playoff games for these schools are even further away.

The Texas playoffs are a different story. Early round games are usually close, but since there are 6 rounds in the playoffs, the later rounds can require long trips sometimes. About 10 years ago, my school, Southlake Carroll, chartered a jet to get to a playoff game in El Paso. It would have been a six+ hour drive and considering the cost of hotels, meals, buses, etc. it wasn't that much more expensive to fly and a lot easier on the team.
Old 04-26-15, 11:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Super B
Send a message via AIM to Super B
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCDad View Post
The Texas playoffs are a different story. Early round games are usually close, but since there are 6 rounds in the playoffs, the later rounds can require long trips sometimes. About 10 years ago, my school, Southlake Carroll, chartered a jet to get to a playoff game in El Paso. It would have been a six+ hour drive and considering the cost of hotels, meals, buses, etc. it wasn't that much more expensive to fly and a lot easier on the team.
More like almost 9 hours.
Old 06-19-15, 06:49 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Does it really matter if a HS football team from Ohio is better or not than one from Texas?
Old 06-29-15, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
I attended the first 2 Kirk Herbstreit events in Cincinnati. It was a LOT of fun with some huge/awesome games, but like others have said, many teams that were invited had been really good the year before but not so good for the match-up.

That Elder/Independence game is still one of the best games I've ever seen.
Old 07-08-15, 05:30 AM
Freshman

Begather is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Does it really matter if a HS football team from Ohio is better or not than one from Texas?
I think HS Football team is better from Ohio.

Last edited by Begather; 11-11-16 at 08:01 AM..
Old 07-12-15, 10:28 PM
Junior Varsity

Super B
Send a message via AIM to Super B
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Nah, probably not. It's just fun to talk about though.

I'd imagine if you matched up 10 teams from Texas against 10 teams from Ohio you'd get some Texas winners and some Ohio winners. Personally I'd like to see it, but for me it would be all in good fun.
Old 07-31-15, 09:10 PM
Freshman

firsttake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomerycounty1991 View Post
Any takes on this thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: