Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-13-16, 09:32 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Kickoff Classics

The Crosstown Showdown has been going on for years in Ohio. And small classics have cropped up from time to time around Ohio. WTOV-9 has sponsored some type of double-header in Steubenville or Wintersville (and Wheeling, WV) for quite some time.

But, there's also some impressive schedules out for out-of-state kickoff classics.

The first is Week 0 in Georgia for the 25th Corky Kell Classic.

It starts with 2 games on Thursday at Mercer University in Macon, 2 games on Friday at McEachern HS, and then 5 games at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Saturday.

Thursday, Aug. 18 @ Mercer University Macon
5:45 p.m.: Houston County vs. Mary Persons
8:45 p.m.: Lee County vs. Jones County

Friday, Aug. 19 @ McEachern High School
5:45 p.m.: Buford vs. Roswell
8: 45 p.m.: South Forsyth vs. Hillgrove

Saturday, Aug. 20 @ Georgia Dome
9 a.m.: Kell vs. Tucker
11:45 a.m.: North Gwinnett vs. Brookwood
2:45 p.m.: Walton vs. Norcross
5:45 p.m.: Colquitt County vs. Mill Creek
8:45 p.m.: McEachern vs. Archer

Then during Week 1, as well as the Crosstown Showdown, there's is an event going on at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. The 2016 Prep Kickoff Classic:

Thursday, Aug. 25
Woodhaven vs. Lincoln Park, 4 p.m.
Chippewa Valley vs. Lake Orion, 7 p.m.

Friday, Aug. 26
Allen Park vs. Taylor Kennedy, 4 p.m.
Canton vs. Dearborn Fordson, 7 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 27
Chelsea vs. River Rouge, 12 p.m.
Southfield Arts and Technology vs. Detroit King, 3 p.m.
Detroit Cass Tech vs. Oak Park, 6 p.m.

There's also a triple-header at North Allegheny (PA)'s Newman Stadium in Wexford, PA on Saturday. I don't have the times listed yet, but this is the order:

Perryopolis Frazier v. Claysville McGuffey
Pittsburgh Central Catholic v. Washington St. John's (DC)
Pittsburgh Penn Hills v. Canada Prep (ON)

And the last one I'm aware of us Week 2, which is the opening week in New York. Section 3 is hosting another Kickoff Classic at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. Ten games in three days.

Thursday, September 1
5pm Syracuse Henninger v. Cicero-North Syracuse
8pm Marcellus v. Syracuse Westhill

Saturday, September 3
11am Clinton v Pulaski
2pm Cazenovia v. Mexico
5pm Utica Notre Dame v. Vernon-Verona-Sherrill
8pm Fayetteville-Manlius v. Rochester Gates Chili

Sunday, September 4
11am LaFayette/Fabius/Pompey v. Onondaga
2pm Canastota v. Holland Patent
5pm Watertown IHC v. Syracuse Bishop Ludden
8pm South Lewis v. Port Byron/Union Springs

Also, Kentucky does have several Week 0 and Week 1 'Bowl' games. Usually a doubleheader at a pre-set location. Bowls I've been to have been the Roye Kidd Bowl (Richmond, KY), Montgomery County Rec Bowl (Mt. Sterling, KY), VisitNich.com Bowl (Nicholasville, KY), Ray Correll Bowl (Somerset, KY), Pike County Bowl (Belfry & Pikeville, KY), Barren County Bowl (Glasgow, KY), Rafferty's Bowl (Bowling Green, KY), and the Death Valley Bowl (Stanford, KY). Not everyone plays Week 0, though.

I was planning on the KY (Wk 0), MI (Wk 1), and NY (Wk 2), but am opting for the closer trip just for Saturday on Week 1 at North Allegheny and Week 2 will be a week-of decision.

I like the idea of the games at the Georgia Dome. I've seen two state title games there, but I think I'll wait until next year's games at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-16, 01:31 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
The Corky Kell Classic at the Dome is always rock solid from a scheduling perspective. I don't know how they do it, but they always get the best local teams to play each other in it.

I'm particularly interested to see how Buford does against Roswell. Buford has dominated in the lower classifications, and there has always been a debate about how they'd do against "the big boys."
Old 05-16-16, 05:35 PM
All World

Several years ago, I saw the Buford-Calhoun title game at the Georgia Dome in 2011 that went to OT thanks to a Buford comeback, but Calhoun won it in OT.
Old 05-27-16, 11:34 AM
Yappi Supporter

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/stad...pionships.html

Quote:
AT&T Stadium to Host UIL Football Championships
by Corpus Christi Caller-Times

AUSTIN - All University Interscholastic League football state championship games will be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington for the next two years, the UIL announced Thursday.

The 11-man and six-man football championship games will be played at AT&T Stadium, with a new schedule placing all 12 games in a four-day span. The games will take place December 14-17, 2016.

"The UIL Football State Championships will be bigger and better than ever this year at AT&T Stadium, with all 12 games in the same week in one location," said UIL Executive Director Dr. Charles Breithaupt. "The UIL is excited to showcase the best high school football in Texas at AT&T Stadium during the football finals for an outstanding championship experience."

The UIL has determined the site of the largest conference state championships since 2006, and all conferences have played at predetermined locations since 2010. AT&T Stadium hosted all 11-man championship games from 2011-2014.

"For more than four decades the Dallas Cowboys have enjoyed a wonderful relationship with the UIL and high school football teams all over the state of Texas," said Cowboys Chief Operating Officer Stephen Jones. "We are proud to have the games coming back to the city of Arlington and AT&T Stadium, where many more memories will be made."
Old 08-24-16, 02:55 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
St John Bosco arrived in Cincinnati early this morning for a Saturday evening game. Does anyone else think that is a bit early to arrive for a high school football game? The Pros don't arrive in a city that early.
Old 08-24-16, 04:11 PM
All World

pied
Nope, I think if they are going to travel it should be treated as cultural/educational experience plus have a little fun. These are student athletes, not pros doing a job. I'm sure there's plenty to keep them occupied for a couple of days in addition to getting some practice in.
Old 08-24-16, 04:49 PM
Yappi Supporter

Well, Buford isn't going to be doing much woofing this year. They lost to Roswell 24-7.

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/sect...rticle/118630/

I had the good fortune of being in Atlanta last weekend, and got to see some of the games. They really do a good job with that Kell Classic event.

From a national perspective, it is noteworthy that Mill Creek beat Colquitt County, the two time defending Class 7A state champs.

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sc...c3cfb18b8.html
Old 12-26-16, 02:08 PM
Yappi Supporter

This coming season's Corky Kell Classic might be the first regular season event in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium. It will have a good lineup as usual.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-schoo...jKQzuRXnf8uLN/

It is a little sad to know this year's Georgia state championship games will be the last ones played in the Georgia Dome.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-schoo...ONHp4MULQZzOJ/
Old 12-26-16, 10:10 PM
All World

I'm planning on attending the Corky Kell Classic next year. Hopefully it's indoors at the new stadium.
Old 01-04-17, 07:06 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post

It is a little sad to know this year's Georgia state championship games will be the last ones played in the Georgia Dome.
That ancient relic? About time they tore it down.
Old 01-04-17, 06:24 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That ancient relic? About time they tore it down.
It's only 25 years old, and it just had a $300 million renovation in 2007.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...mber-5-billion

There really was no reason to build a new $1.5 billion stadium, other than massive egos and gullibility on the part of the political leaders in Atlanta. However, in fairness, at least Arthur Blank is picking up most of the costs of the new stadium. So, that's better than a lot of the really bad stadium deals around the country.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/f...6jnAC6I2ZiluL/

That didn't make the new stadium "necessary," though.
Old 01-05-17, 12:15 AM
All World

Of the two stadiums in the Atlanta area, the domed multi-use stadium downtown at least 'makes sense' as an asset to the community. Building the new SunTrust Park in the northern suburbs is a boondoggle, and will be a traffic nightmare, to boot.
Old 01-05-17, 12:45 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Of the two stadiums in the Atlanta area, the domed multi-use stadium downtown at least 'makes sense' as an asset to the community. Building the new SunTrust Park in the northern suburbs is a boondoggle, and will be a traffic nightmare, to boot.
While I think building a new baseball stadium was also completely unnecessary, I differ with you on one thing.

If you're going to build an unnecessary stadium, it's at least better to put it somewhere completely different than right next to the completely serviceable one that already exists. At least the change in geography gives you the somewhat plausible excuse that it was to better serve the fan base where it lives.

The really bad part of the Braves stadium deal is that the taxpayers are picking up more than half of its cost. So, at least Arthur Blank can say he didn't soak the taxpayers like the Braves did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...raves-stadium/

Thankfully, the politician who enabled that taxpayer soaking was shown the exit door.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--...oVjtaozOwvfXP/
Old 01-05-17, 10:06 PM
All World

The problem with SunTrust is it's right next to the bottleneck where I-75 and I-285 beltway meet north of the city. They're doing work to fix it, but they just sunk a major stadium right next to it. Mass transit doesn't reach it. And, unlike the move over the past few decades to build stadiums near the city center instead of far out in the suburbs (think Silverdome --> Ford Field).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: