Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-07-15, 03:53 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Illinois - Proposal to overhaul football scheduling rejected in school vote

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...106-story.html

Quote:
IHSA: Proposal to overhaul football scheduling rejected in school vote
By Pat Disabato
Tribune Newspapers

The Illinois High School Association's football regular-season and playoff format may not be perfect, but it clearly was preferred over a revised plan that was rejected Tuesday by member schools 395-212.

Proposal 10 would have eliminated football conferences in favor of a districting system that grouped schools by size and location. Teams would play regular-season games almost exclusively against others in their division and would have minimal control over scheduling.

Proponents of the amendment said it would force schools to qualify for the state playoffs by beating schools of similar size. The current conference-based system requires teams to record five victories to qualify for postseason consideration, though there are exceptions.

Opponents of the proposal felt, among other things, it would eliminate rivalry games and the flexibility for schools to schedule on their own.

Another major stumbling block was the reality of no longer participating in a traditional conference.

Look no further than the Catholic League, specifically the Blue Division, as an example.

Mount Carmel, Brother Rice, St. Rita, Providence and Loyola have attracted top talent and built powerful programs largely by offering student-athletes the chance to compete in the tradition-rich league.

"In one sense I wouldn't have minded playing teams from this area in the region proposal," Providence coach Mark Coglianese said. "But overall I don't think it would have been good for us in the long run. It's good for us to say we play in the Catholic League. It's a big reason kids want to come here to play in the best conference and against the best competition in the state. If we would have lost that, it would have hurt us in the long run."

One example of Proposal 10 regional assignments had Brother Rice, Curie, Marist, Simeon, Bloom, Homewood-Flossmoor, Sandburg and Stagg competing in Region 7 of Class 8A.

The same proposal offered in 7A a Region 7 grouping of Bradley, Marian Catholic, Lincoln-Way East, Lincoln-Way Central, T.F. South, Providence, Thornwood and Andrew.

In 6A, Region 6 was made up of T.F. North, Crete-Monee, Lincoln-Way North, Thornton, Bremen, Oak Forest, Rich Central and Shepard.

Lincoln-Way North coach George Czart thought Proposal 10 was fair and liked how it eliminated the potential hassle of scheduling nonconference games. However, Czart isn't necessarily dissatisfied with the current format.

"It's been tough for us to find nonconference games in the past," Czart said. "Scheduling would have been easier. Though I don't really have any issues with the current format, I really thought more schools would have supported the new proposal. At the same time, I can see why the Catholic League wouldn't have gone for something like this. They would lose their conference and some rivalries would be lost for many schools."

In the Proposal 10 playoff format, each of the eight playoff classes would have consisted of eight regions. The top four teams from each region would have qualified for the playoffs, with each playoff class having 32 teams.

H-F coach Craig Buzea wasn't a fan of the proposal, particularly its playoff format. Buzea coached at Michigan City and Portage before landing at H-F.

"I like the way the format is now," Buzea said. "The proposal reminded me too much of Indiana, where you know you were going to play certain teams and then play them again in the tourney (playoffs). I like the intrigue in the way it is set up now where it can be a number of teams that you can draw, and not necessarily in your geographical area although I'm not crazy about going down to Edwardsville (H-F's 2014 playoff opponent) again."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-15, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Typical of the Catholic schools. This fair proposal of playing all schools the same size would "hurt recruiting." LOL! Problems with scheduling aside, I can see them wanting to keep the recruiting system in place.
Old 02-21-15, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
Typical of the Catholic schools. This fair proposal of playing all schools the same size would "hurt recruiting." LOL! Problems with scheduling aside, I can see them wanting to keep the recruiting system in place.
The Catholic League is way too powerful, each of the 10 schools got 39.5 votes
Old 02-23-15, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

Of all of the states I have lived in, including Ohio, Illinois is by far the worst as far as private school recruiting. It is wide open here. Interesting though, 8A (largest division) has been mostly won by public schools over the last 10-15 years. They are massive schools. The other 7 divisions are pretty well owned by private schools (not all Catholic).
Old 02-23-15, 02:43 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Well, with the multiplier, the four lowest classifications were relatively void of Catholic/private schools. And yes, I think part of the reason publics do well in 8A is simply they're so massive. You're not going to wind up with Catholic schools that big. If there's enough support to send kids to Catholic schools in a geographic area, they'll wind up with many smaller Catholic schools to handle the crowd.
Old 02-23-15, 05:04 PM
All Ohio

I have 3 sons playing youth football and I have helped coach. I see people openly recruiting for youth football and have had parents of 5th and 6th grade kids asking me about whether they should send their kids to the private school for football. It desn't help that their HS has won 1 game in the last 4 years. Luckily, our school is pretty good. My oldest is in college and he was openly recruited by 3 schools while in Jr High. We have no 7th and 8th grade football at the schools. We are 7A/8A tweener schools. Crazy the open air battles.
Old 02-23-15, 05:05 PM
All Ohio

Sykotyk, the multiplier has changed the divisions for sure. The only school I have seen it diminish playoff success for is Joliet Catholic. I am not certain that the growth of Plainfield schools and some success for a few of the schools may be keeping kids from going there.
Old 07-31-15, 09:11 PM
Freshman

firsttake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
the feeder system still rules the status quo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: